Jump to content Jump to content

Boycotting Germany for my own sanity and enjoyment.

IHazABone

Can't do it anymore. Too much frustration. Every time it comes to it in the championship, I end up only playing once or twice a week instead of daily because I just hate it. I've come from a plethora of track/road racing games and sims, all with my trusty Xbox controller, but I cannot for the bloody life of me set the game or car up to be remotely driveable. It's fucking impossible, excuse my language. I can win Masters events on dirt but I always come within the last 3 on Germany, or end up with a totaled car. Steering is horribly inconsistent or too sensitive or not sensitive at all, none of which work, not to mention trying to keep traction going in a straight line.  
Performance on the stages is utterly gross compared to the others - I have to drop my settings from max to low to run 50+ FPS and get rid of stuttering, whereas I can get 60 everywhere else but some locations on Greece. For now I'm just going to retire every time it comes to Germany. Hope Finland isn't like this. 

And no, don't tell me to buy a wheel. I'm working my ass off part time for better things in life than a $200 wheel I'll probably have even more frustration with.

Please try to fix it.
So rather than learning to play and adjust to the game like everybody else, it has to be "fixed"? The game rewards you the more time and effort you put into it. If you don't put enough time and effort into it, you will not improve. I suggest you try an easier game if you don't have time - or will - to improve.

Tarmac demands an entirely different driving technique than what you're used to. You have to be smooth and consistent - and yes, it can be done with a controller, as many people have already done just that. Try braking later and slide less. Since there is more grip, you can also (usually) take the corners one gear higher than normal. Personally I try to avoid sliding all together unless it's a hairpin. Give it a shot, and try to enjoy it in the process.
Braking and steering is far less progressive with a heavy hand and a joypad.  
Tarmac requires a lot of control, tiny adjustments to the car on the limit & bit of finesse, which is vastly different to a gravel stage, where you can literally bully the car through a corner with exaggerated inputs.

Stick with it, you'll be rewarded. Oh, & keep checking eBay for a good used wheel!! :)
So rather than learning to play and adjust to the game like everybody else, it has to be "fixed"? The game rewards you the more time and effort you put into it. If you don't put enough time and effort into it, you will not improve. I suggest you try an easier game if you don't have time - or will - to improve.

Tarmac demands an entirely different driving technique than what you're used to. You have to be smooth and consistent - and yes, it can be done with a controller, as many people have already done just that. Try braking later and slide less. Since there is more grip, you can also (usually) take the corners one gear higher than normal. Personally I try to avoid sliding all together unless it's a hairpin. Give it a shot, and try to enjoy it in the process.
What Porkie said! Smooth on tarmac.
I'm furious about Monte Carlo myself. When I do championships, sometimes I come 2nd or 3rd and shout "show me how to drive this stage to get that time Codies, are you nuts???". This is mostly with 70s and 80s RWD. I also a bit dislike Greece because of awful pacenotes. Wales is awesome, Germany is easy, as said above.
IHazABone said:
Can't do it anymore. Too much frustration. Every time it comes to it in the championship, I end up only playing once or twice a week instead of daily because I just hate it. I've come from a plethora of track/road racing games and sims, all with my trusty Xbox controller, but I cannot for the bloody life of me set the game or car up to be remotely driveable. It's fucking impossible, excuse my language. I can win Masters events on dirt but I always come within the last 3 on Germany, or end up with a totaled car. Steering is horribly inconsistent or too sensitive or not sensitive at all, none of which work, not to mention trying to keep traction going in a straight line.  
Performance on the stages is utterly gross compared to the others - I have to drop my settings from max to low to run 50+ FPS and get rid of stuttering, whereas I can get 60 everywhere else but some locations on Greece. For now I'm just going to retire every time it comes to Germany. Hope Finland isn't like this. 

And no, don't tell me to buy a wheel. I'm working my ass off part time for better things in life than a $200 wheel I'll probably have even more frustration with.

Please try to fix it.

I haven't read the other replies here yet, maybe it already has been mentioned, but it seems your'e just bad in adapting your driving style / controller for Tyremac and you have troubles in exactly positioning the car at high speeds.
Imo , nothing has to be fixed on Germany Stages, you just have to find the perfect "racing line" between the hinkelstein obstacles and avoid any time consuming drifting with exception of the real tight hairpins.

I think all the right advice was given to you in the posts above: don't slide, think about your ideal racing line from turn to turn, brake late, get used to the tracks and be gentle on the throttle. Oh, and... don't slide! ;)

I have to say I'm a mediocre driver, but when Germany comes up I'm relieved because I win it every time on Masters.
I agree completly with what's been said above. The German stages are where I perform best (as opposed to enjoy the most, which is Wales) as most of my previous car gaming experience have been racing games like Assetto Corsa and various old F1 games.

It's all about driving style and adapting your approach. Personally I have a blast driving the 037 on the German concrete in the rain. You get an incredible feeling of achievement if you get the knife edge balancing act right.
foppaldo said:
Personally I have a blast driving the 037 on the German concrete in the rain. You get an incredible feeling of achievement if you get the knife edge balancing act right.
Respect! That sounds riskier than telling my wife we're not going to the supermarket because I need to finish a rally.
NLT said:
foppaldo said:
Personally I have a blast driving the 037 on the German concrete in the rain. You get an incredible feeling of achievement if you get the knife edge balancing act right.
Respect! That sounds riskier than telling my wife we're not going to the supermarket because I need to finish a rally.
I would prefer to slap a horny bull.... or eating with Bear Grylls.
IHazABone said:
Seriously? Other than RX tracks, Germany is where I have the most FPS regardless of the place and weather. I get the biggest FPS hit on Monte Carlo, dropping below 70FPS on some parts and 60FPS whenever there's a night stage or snow (my monitor is overclocked to 70Hz, thus I have  a 70FPS lock). Lord Bahamut forbid both... then it goes down to 40FPS nightmare at some points -_-

Funny how the performance differs for people though. My advice for you would be to break early, increse the camber to -1.0 for better cornering grip and max out the diff lock (both front and rear) for best traction and stability. Playing with differential pre-load should help, so make sure you use those shakedowns to nail down the setup before you start the rally. And when you know there's the wobbly tarmac coming up, just slow down and keep it half throttle for the sake of keeping it under control ;)

Also, if I was able to score 3 WR times with a gamepad and get consistently to Top 20 on other Germany stages, you can do it as well ;) Patience, practice and a lot of stage restarts should do the trick :D
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/617347983778183313/9D37B1F07CF8D83AF22E1CD69147E123DC74D8C5/
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/617347983778182849/9AE8CBC69BDE0C0EEB9F3A6F07F1015D3A92AC20/
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/617347983778182406/E3A7C89162C201782B92A68A91157F5E0F7B4EEF/
I don't know what to tell you, @IHazABone, but I have the totally opposite reaction to Germany, and I use a controller too. I get better fps in Germany than any other location (I sometimes even hit 60!), so I wonder why you're getting worse performance? :( I also find the driving feels really good—keep it tidy like circuit racing, threshold brake, and stay off the grass. I even (after 120 hours) got my first stage win on Flugzeugring yesterday, in an RS200 with 100% front brake bias (Elite difficulty).

Archived