Jump to content Jump to content

Real Season Start is disappointing

I'm currently doing a Real Season Start career where I always drive the races on the weekends of the actual race, so this weekend I will drive in Hungary.

But I have to say I'm quite disappointed by the Real Season Start Career, there are multiple reasons for that:

1. You must create your own driver, there is no option to just drive as the real F1 driver. I want to emulate the battle between Verstappen and Hamilton instead of having Verstappen/Hamilton against [insert random name]. That removes the feeling of the real championship battle.

2. It's a career mode instead of Championship. Honestly, even though I have only done Silverstone thus far, I don't want the car performances to change throughout the season. I want to have the real life performance (even though the game doesn't really reflect that one either) throughout the whole season, without any major changes. Again removes the element of the real world, when all of a sudden McLaren is winning races and Verstappen and myself drive in P5 and P6.

3. Standings not updated yet. I actually wanted to restart my career this weekend for Hungary as the gap between Hamilton and Verstappen has changed drastically in real life. I therefore wanted to start the fight with a smaller gap, 8 points as in real life. Problem is, 2 weeks after Silverstone, you still cannot start at the Hungarian GP. There are no updated standings at all. It says you could start there at the 29th July, but we are past that already. 

Have they already forgotten about the mode?🤣

• Agree 9

That they put this as such an integral part of their new features reveals is genuinely embarrassing. 

I think you're the only person playing it, mate. 

Almost completely useless mode and not what was sold to us. 

• Agree 4
7 minutes ago, kalamazoo123 said:

Well they couldn’t really talk about all the existing features they’d removed, or all the actual 2021 F1 stuff that wasn’t in the game, so they weren’t exactly left with a lot they could talk about!

There's lots of good new stuff about F1 2021 to talk about. I agree with the OP that the Real Season Start doesn't really cut it though. It's a concept with potential but not being able to actually race as a particular driver just kills it for me. It also needs the in game relative team performance to be rather closer to real life. This year is a bad one to launch this due to the uncertain/changing calendar too but this isn't the biggest problem.

• Agree 1
1 hour ago, Ultra3142 said:

There's lots of good new stuff about F1 2021 to talk about. I agree with the OP that the Real Season Start doesn't really cut it though. It's a concept with potential but not being able to actually race as a particular driver just kills it for me. It also needs the in game relative team performance to be rather closer to real life. This year is a bad one to launch this due to the uncertain/changing calendar too but this isn't the biggest problem.

Agree with most of that, but it seems most of my game is missing somehow if there is indeed “lots of good new stuff” in F1 2021! 🤔

47 minutes ago, peanutt2000 said:

I’m praying they patch this so you can be a real life driver, it’s an absolute disgrace if they don’t.

Agree, it’s pointless in the manner it was intended if you don’t take over one of the existing drivers.

You could have the option of coming in as yourself if you want to jump into the real season, but you should come in on zero points as any other new driver would in this scenario.

Both should be options.

Do we think they’ll patch this? I’ve seen a few threads on here about the same topic so you’d think they’d patch this, surly can’t be a big batch

14 minutes ago, kalamazoo123 said:

Agree, it’s pointless in the manner it was intended if you don’t take over one of the existing drivers.

You could have the option of coming in as yourself if you want to jump into the real season, but you should come in on zero points as any other new driver would in this scenario.

Both should be options.

3 minutes ago, peanutt2000 said:

Do we think they’ll patch this? I’ve seen a few threads on here about the same topic so you’d think they’d patch this, surly can’t be a big batch

If I'm honest about it I don't think they will. It's easy to say it wouldn't be a big patch but you're talking about removing the career element as you can't have that with a real driver, at least we think due to licensing reasons, and if you were able to add it here you'd need to also add the option to full career mode. 

So you're talking about programming the above or converting this into a championship style mode (which it should have been from the beginning) and I just don't see the resources being allocated to do it, given the sheer amount of bugs and problems around the game that will need to be worked on as it stands. 

It might be something they take on board for next year. Of course I'd love to be surprised, I'm not trying to be negative just to be negative, I just can't see it being a priority for a patch. 

• Agree 2

Agree can't see it getting any attention to be honest . Just poorly implemented but honestly it a recurring theme for me with this game . Just some poor decision all round ....

• Agree 2
1 hour ago, kalamazoo123 said:

Agree with most of that, but it seems most of my game is missing somehow if there is indeed “lots of good new stuff” in F1 2021! 🤔

Things for Codemasters to push other than Real Season Start include: Braking Point, two-player career mode, new damage model, improved handling, improved AI, progression rate controls in My Team, and on PS5/XSX the 120 Hz mode and much faster loading. Different things will interest different players but it's not like Real Season Start is the only change worth talking about.

Edited by Ultra3142
  • Agree 1
2 minutes ago, Ultra3142 said:

Things for Codemasters to push other than Real Season Start include: Braking Point, two-player career mode, new damage model, improved handling, improved AI, progression rate controls in My Team, and on PS5 and XSX/S the 120 Hz mode and much faster loading. Different things will interest different players but it's not like Real Season Start is the only change worth talking about.

😂🤦‍♂️most of those made me laugh a lot 👍

2 minutes ago, kalamazoo123 said:

Fair enough but four of them are the reasons I'm genuinely glad I bought F1 2021 🙂. Which is not to say there aren't issues I want fixed!

• Agree 2
50 minutes ago, Ultra3142 said:

Fair enough but four of them are the reasons I'm genuinely glad I bought F1 2021 🙂. Which is not to say there aren't issues I want fixed!

Either there is some good in the game, or I'm a masochist

E7nXHOMWQAEVCKi.jpg.314090b87b011c492a5bc5f034f9635f.jpg

Likely a bit of both :classic_laugh:

• Haha 1
9 hours ago, ReimvomSchleim said:

1. You must create your own driver, there is no option to just drive as the real F1 driver. I want to emulate the battle between Verstappen and Hamilton instead of having Verstappen/Hamilton against [insert random name]. That removes the feeling of the real championship battle.

so if I have understood correctly, the only way to drive as Hamilton, Verstapppen or Alonso is in Grand Prix mode and Time Trial. ?

• Agree 1
1 minute ago, FTBuzzard said:

so if I have understood correctly, the only way to drive as Hamilton, Verstapppen or Alonso is in Grand Prix mode and Time Trial. ?

Is time trial not just your character in an F1 car? So it's just Grand Prix mode

7 minutes ago, KNT2011 said:

Is time trial not just your character in an F1 car? So it's just Grand Prix mode

yeah you're right. Never play Time trial.

but it makes zero sense having the license but 90% of the game mode are not available with real drivers.

2 minutes ago, FTBuzzard said:

yeah you're right. Never play Time trial.

but it makes zero sense having the license but 90% of the game mode are not available with real drivers.

Real Season Start is a big misstep unfortunately, To a degree they couldn't have predicted it while designing the mode but we have a real life championship battle for the ages this year and obviously casual players and F1 fans (hardcore as well but those are already bought in) would have loved the opportunity to jump in as Lewis or Max from the current point in the season, it would have been a big draw but CM missed the boat with it completely. 

11 minutes ago, KNT2011 said:

Real Season Start is a big misstep unfortunately, To a degree they couldn't have predicted it while designing the mode but we have a real life championship battle for the ages this year and obviously casual players and F1 fans (hardcore as well but those are already bought in) would have loved the opportunity to jump in as Lewis or Max from the current point in the season, it would have been a big draw but CM missed the boat with it completely. 

Could even pop a promo for it on the main screen after a real life GP or something to highlight you can join in the battle (excuse the lack of any art skills)

Hamilton-Max-Topper.jpg.5a1506b9572182dd185f9cf30bded549.jpg

It's far less interesting knowing you'd have to be Louis Hemorrhoid instead. 

• Haha 1
3 hours ago, Ultra3142 said:

It's a concept with potential but not being able to actually race as a particular driver just kills it for me. It also needs the in game relative team performance to be rather closer to real life. This year is a bad one to launch this due to the uncertain/changing calendar too but this isn't the biggest problem.

This year being bad is just circumstance, chance. We wouldn't suffer it that much of there was an underlying solid gameplay structure. Quick updates, option to go on as a real driver or to jump in as your own character (as is).

That's unfortunate and feels half baked. Hopefully it will improve specially in the update department with EA infrastructure now. Just a simple script by the devs once, and an intern from EA to push the card and overview the process every GP.

1 hour ago, kalamazoo123 said:

Haha now you're just being mean! 2P co-op career as a biggie in my book as well as new driving model. I just hope the co-op works ok.

For those into the streaming scene, does it?

Edited by marioho

Haha, maybe. There’s just so much missing that should be there for an F12021 game, but i know i sound like a broken record!

The driving model is better this year, to be fair, but i definitely see it as an improvement/iteration rather than a big new feature.

4 hours ago, kalamazoo123 said:

Agree with everything you’ve said, and yes, it does become a little pointless if it’s not updated swiftly after each race!

Its even more pointless when / because tracks IRL driven on are not in the game, hence the whole calendar / Turkey track / whatever discussion, In this situation the feature simply does not work well / has no chance to work at all. As with breaking point, I would prefer to have some other content instead, e.g. a full custom calendar for myteam mode (like is present in game in grand prix mode anyway).

• Agree 1

@kalamazoo123 the grip threshold being more readable, the introduction of ground effect, and rework of curbs and grip levels of different surfaces are substantial enough to feel like a new handling model than just an iteration. Also forgot to add the AI behavior to the list of biggies.

I do agree, though. There are a handful of systems in need of a big overhaul that saw no change this year, like online. And the way they massacred my boys career modes, stripping basics like the results screen for the practice programs, our ability to choose our practice programs, and the "streamlining" of the gameplay flow overall... Nah, that just does not sit well with me.

Lots of love go into small details and it's a shame that they get obfuscated. Like accessibility features for colorblindness, the customizations of driving profiles for overall onboarding and cute immersion tidbits that are all over the game. That is, indeed, just an iteration process though, even if a welcomed one.

Edit: oh boy, the stripping of save slots is mind-blowing too!

Edited by marioho
6 minutes ago, marioho said:

Edit: oh boy, the stripping of save slots is mind-blowing too!

I could not agree more, be a father, a content creator, a brother or just very active in several game mode and you will never ever make do with 3 slots. It is one of the most urgent things to be patched / changed for sure.