Jump to content Jump to content

New to My Team - what are your tips before I start? 

I haven't got the game yet, but I'd like to get an idea of what My Team is like before I play it. I didn't have F1 2020 so the game mode is new to me, aside from watching a few videos. I've got a few questions and I'd really appreciate your advice.

What are the pros and cons of each engine? Is there one that stands out as the best to start with?

What's the best sponsor to start with? Is there one that has a combination of easy objectives and good payouts?

Who are the best F2 drivers to start with? I know the selection isn't the same for everyone, but who are the best ones with a combination of good attributes and price?

Any tips for the Will Buxton interview? What affect will the responses have on my career?

Is it worth upgrading your teammate in the first season? 

Who are the best F1 drivers you can reasonably afford in the second season? Not someone who is going to break the bank, just a driver who will get good results and still be decent value. Or is it not worth signing an F1 driver at the start of season two?

Do the F1 drivers get better and worse throughout your career and do their prices go up and down?

Do the F2 drivers sign for other teams?

• Like 1
57 minutes ago, WestHam66 said:

s it worth upgrading your teammate in the first season?

I would say just jump in and try things out for yourself. You dont want to do things perfect or it can become a bit easy. 

for me, the biggest thing is not to upgrade your team mate too early. If you hire a teammate with very high experience they will earn R&d points very quickly. Which means mid way through season 2 you can be on merc level. For me it should take longer to get to this level.

although there are options to slow down money and r&d points earned, making it harder to upgrade.

1 hour ago, WestHam66 said:

I haven't got the game yet, but I'd like to get an idea of what My Team is like before I play it. I didn't have F1 2020 so the game mode is new to me, aside from watching a few videos. I've got a few questions and I'd really appreciate your advice.

What are the pros and cons of each engine? Is there one that stands out as the best to start with?

What's the best sponsor to start with? Is there one that has a combination of easy objectives and good payouts?

Who are the best F2 drivers to start with? I know the selection isn't the same for everyone, but who are the best ones with a combination of good attributes and price?

Any tips for the Will Buxton interview? What affect will the responses have on my career?

Who are the best F1 drivers you can reasonably afford in the second season? Not someone who is going to break the bank, just a driver who will get good results and still be decent value. Or is it not worth signing an F1 driver at the start of season two?

Do the F1 drivers get better and worse throughout your career and do their prices go up and down?

Engines are pretty much the same

start with a sponsor with low goals, 25 points in first season could be a bit hard for beginners

the best f2 drivers are Aitken, Illott, Zhou, Armstrong and Schwartzman

i wouldn't mind teammate in 1st season, you can hardly get him to q2. Its more recomend to udate your facilities and the car

in second season you could afford everyone, depending on the money you are willing to spend.

f1 drivers can get better and worse, and their costs raises.

F2 drivers does sing for other teams for example if a F1 driver retires, like Raikkonen, Vettel or Alonso do mostly after season 1

6 hours ago, WestHam66 said:

More than +/- 2 seconds difference per lap during 1st season from questions and engines. I made a video from F1 2020 documenting this, you can find it on my youtube channel:

• Like 1

Renault if you like a challenge and have no problem driving through 1st season without too many points. The other 3 do not differ too much in 2021, for 2020 you chose Ferrari as it was OP then. Be aware there may be a performance patch coming for 2021 soon that might change this.

Aim low, like "2 points finishes in season one" (Tristar?) or sumsuch. Must say though that i drive 90% AI and that really gives me a hard time with only a few points during season one when I really get lucky or my performance is better than usual.

Who are the best F2 drivers to start with?

The contracts are less than a season, you can ignore this at the beginning, chose the driver you can afford.

You will have to renegotiate somewhere during the season. Still, you will go with what you can afford, you will probably get a new driver since that will be cheaper than re-signing the first driver you had.

Who are the best F1 drivers you can reasonably afford in the second season?

Hard to say, depends a lot on your playstyle, success and settings for the game. At the beginning i doubt you can sign the top drivers, since you team acclaim will be too low, not your money. Your money as well, at least at the start of the season. End of season two you might be able to afford OP Supermottas (Bottas).

I havent played through several seasons in a row (i have but i dont recall^^) but if anything expect them to be more expensive later in the game. Yes they can improve depending on your facilities, just like to lowish drivers. Dont forget about the new focus stat, so a lot of their performance will depend on your team decisions etc.

Yes, because the F1 drivers retire time to time.

A good sponsor is a (bonus) paying sponsor. Get the ones with achievable goals. I wouldn't sweat much about weekly pay at first, it's like trying to eyeballing math how many glasses of water it takes to take a shower. It is far down the road, with more sponsors and bonus payments, that the money start pouring.

Engines, go for the medium ones and aim for reliability or performance depending on the balance of your car - at the beginning of the season you get an interview session with Buxton and the answers you give will an aero, power, chassis or reliability bonus.

For teammates, I wouldn't fret much at first but I guess it's better to put a good F2 driver in the market than a mediocre one? There's nothing stopping the AI from signing bad drivers but more often than not the one you choose gets to make the rounds more often when the market shifts. Anyway, get a gist of what every attribute does. Like, check the Mercedes lineup:

image.png.921e7cc65495b45086a4430b546d140e.png

Hamilton is a great source of development points for the team for his Experience. Bottas is a solid one too if you consider the whole grid, but Hamilton is a beast. He's providing so much feedback for the team with his practice runs and stints that development becomes a breeze.

Racecraft means that even if they were to qualify poorly, with a rating high as these they can make up lots of positions on the grid on Big Boys' Day aka Sunday. Think of Hamilton on Monza 2020. Low ratings are like Albon's "oh they race me so hard".

With a Awareness that high, both are more likely to bring their diva cars back in one (working) piece and less likely to get hits on their laptimes due to their stellar job of keeping themselves out of harm's way.

Pace is the mathematical representation of O's in their respective vroom vrooming. Meaning high pace is more like vroooooooooom while low pace is "sorry Latifi my darling you did not get out of Q1. Again".

Good and young F2 drivers are more likely to turn into good F1 seasoned drivers.

The good thing about myteam is that you can personalize your experience.

You can make your car ready for the midfield race and onwards, or make a car that struggles to not fall behind to the backmarkers.

With that being said, you can pick which sponsor you wanna to fulfill this gap, there are low risk, low payout ones, high risk and reward and the middle of the road. Its not hard to hit many of the objectives, so feel free to pick a good bonus payout, I personally like the championship team position.

F2 drivers you can be cheap or pick one that you like on the selection. As Brazilian, I kinda enjoy to bring a renaissance to the sport for the nation and keep until a title comes, but that's a particularity of mine.

Engines is what will be how easy or challenging it is, though the difference is not that big, I picked renault because Alpine is the sole team with it and that engine sound is great.

I like to focus more on aero and chassis in the car because engine helps, but not that much at the early game.

I've played with low player payments and rd and balanced for AI and its been challenging but fair.

Though I wrote too much, this is not really tips, but more about my reasoning on the start of my team so far. Hope you enjoy the mode, its really great!

• Agree 1

I still have problems with turning on sharp turns. It's not even about the angle, because I can see from the movies that I'm entering corners well - I think I have problems with sharp braking. What tips for that?

@SilverBob what kind of problems are you having? If you could post a short video clip of you taking such a corner, that would be even better.

There's basically 3 things you can do with a car: brake, steer, and accelerate. Any and all of these things use the grip of your tyres on the track to be executed and, since these cars are racing on the limit, they're more often than not at the grip threshold. 

On sharp bends or slow corners, one of the most common mistakes is trying to brake and steer at the same time. Your tyres will not be able to do both of those things well simultaneously, so you're probably going wide (understeering) there of having to slow down even more.

Look up on youtube videos about braking techniques. There's two you should learn about, threshold braking and trail braking. Learn threshold braking first and how to be fast with it, then go practice proper trail braking. Without more info from you that's the best general tip I can offer.

Two videos from our one and only PJ Tierney:

https://youtu.be/6ULLd2unCFo

• Like 1