Jump to content Jump to content

Can't do anything on the forums, except browse, without using a VPN, since about 2 weeks ago

Since about 2 weeks ago, I can no longer do anything on the forums, except browse, without using a VPN. I can't search, post, comment, do edits or message other users. I always get a very long loading sequence and / or error 500. I already tried multiple browsers and resetting them, but nothing works, except using a VPN.

I noticed that my previous usernames no longer appear in the log, but the dates on which they were changed still do.

Edited by BLITZRAZOR01X
  • Aparow changed the title to Can't do anything on the forums, except browse, without using a VPN, since about 2 weeks ago

I haven't tried a VPN but otherwise I've had the same issue as you on my laptop running Windows 10. I have the same issue of not being able to log in on another forum that looks like it uses the same fundamental forum code too.

I don't have the issue from PCs at work, or from my Android phone which I'm writing this message on.

I'd love to know how to fix this!

@Ultra3142 do you still have this problem? I found out that the only workaround is to use Opera's built-in VPN in private browsing mode. Using another VPN and browsing in normal mode doesn't work. Running Ubuntu from a USB drive on the same PC works, so it's some Windows-specific issue.

42 minutes ago, BLITZRAZOR01X said:

@Ultra3142 do you still have this problem? I found out that the only workaround is to use Opera's built-in VPN in private browsing mode. Using another VPN and browsing in normal mode doesn't work. Running Ubuntu from a USB drive on the same PC works, so it's some Windows-specific issue.

Yes, I still have the problem.

1 minute ago, Ultra3142 said:

I I'd that ages ago and it didn't work unfortunately.

Do you use any third party AV? Like Avast? Recently looked at a PC and loads of websites did not work properly until it was removed and the uninstall utility was used (aswclear.exe).

I even did a clean install of the latest version of Windows 10 and tried accessing the troubled sites before installing anything else. The behaviour was exactly the same. They only worked when using Opera's built-in VPN.

@Ultra3142 what build of Windows are you running?

• 4 weeks later...

I'm pleased to say that my logging in issue has resolved this evening, following a change of router and ISP. I'd vaguely wondered if it might given the vpn suggestions above. I'm sure there is a perfectly logical explanation but it's not obvious to me and my feeble understanding of IT.

It's moot now but in answer to the last couple of posts that I'd missed, I use Bitdefender AV and I'm running Windows 10 Home version 20H2.

• 4 weeks later...