Jump to content Jump to content

Taking a penalty for someone hitting you during SC? Penalty system is absolutely trash.

Does anyone else have problems with the penalty system? There are small instances with track limits, but my biggest problem is what happens when the safety car is out. 3 races in a row I've been hit from behind and I've received the penalty for someone hitting me!? It's just bonkers out there at the moment! I really hope someone fixes these because the person behind me probably doesn't mean to hit me but with lag and a stupidly slow safety car I'm getting rammed and I'm taking the penalty! As I was typing this I was spectating a race and witnessed some bloke go flat stick into someone, and the guy doing nothing got a penalty. I really hope this gets fixed soon because this is easily exploitable and it's really going to ruin the experience for some people imo.

What's everyone else's experience with this and what's your opinions?

• Agree 2

yeah after a bit of digging I have noticed it's been a problem since last year. That's just even more frustrating now because it just means they haven't done anything about it lol. Guess I'm just going to have to try and keep an eye out both in front and behind at the same time. This is my first F1 game, I've come from Forza 7. I really do like the racing and what this game gives, but these shenanigans that happen during Safety car is just a joke and if it can't be fixed, it needs to be removed until it's resolved.

Certainly feel welcomed 🤣

Not just since f1 2020 guys..  literally since this game has safety car (or penalties in general)

This game needs the ability for people to just live steward the races so this stuff doesn't happen anymore, just like ACC has. 
If you can just have 1 or 2 people in the lobby who could call the safety car, go back a bit to when an incident happened and penalize accordingly, would be so much easier than trying to have the game be fair... knowing how hard it can be even for people to see who is in the wrong. Stewarding is people job. Please let us do it. It will make the game so much better.

I've experienced two similar incidents (during practice). AI crashed into me from behind. One time, my car drove into the barriers because of it and I lost my frontwing. The other time I didn't get any damage. First crash resulted in a grid penalty, second time only a warning - both times, the penalties were given to me! The AI car didn't even receive a single warning for any of those two indicents. I thought the penalty system was really broken, but now I think that the devs simply mixed up the two variables for the car that causes the crash and the car that gets crashed into.

Why do I think that the devs mixed up those two variables? Well, because if you reverse the variables, the penalties perfectly make sense. The AI car that crashed into me during practice and shredded my frontwing - that really should have a been a grid penalty for that car! The second time, there was no damage, so a warning for the AI car probably also would have been the right "penalty".

Not sure how to get the devs to look into this though ... and if my theory is wrong and it's not just a simple mixup of two variables, then the penalty system just really is awfully broken...

On 8/1/2021 at 10:32 AM, Willnesss said:

Was like this last year. Best one is when you are leading a race the guy behind will just keep ramming you and you get a 5sec penalty each time so you can get 25secs worth of penalties. They can even pit to repair any front wing damage and still beat you after that 

• Agree 1
  • 1 month later...

The penalty system is really a joke right now. If you get hit from behind by the AI you get a penalty. I think this should be high up on their fix list. Or at least give us the ability to turn the rules OFF in coop career.

The penalty you get for someone else driving into you is blatant stupid and in the game for way too long.
However, i think it's unbelievable how many drivers can't drive. Keep your distance behind the SC. I run a league and if someone causes something like this the after race penalty is much bigger.

26 minutes ago, BarryB said:

People should just learn to keep distance

Of course but they wont and you get stupid penalties. Ghosting at 1m would just prevent any kind of stupidness.

1 minute ago, Schneehase said:

Is this linked with the issue that you can overtake during safetly car without getting a penalty (if you know how to do it...)?

That's something else entirely, the safety car is much more stupid and easy to confuse on 21. You can actually overtake it and just restart at full speed while others are stuck behind it if you do it right.

2 minutes ago, RLLL said:

That's something else entirely, the safety car is much more stupid and easy to confuse on 21. You can actually overtake it and just restart at full speed while others are stuck behind it if you do it right.

With other software developers you would now write: time for a hotfix 🙂 

On 8/1/2021 at 4:32 AM, Willnesss said:

Does anyone else have problems with the penalty system? There are small instances with track limits, but my biggest problem is what happens when the safety car is out. 3 races in a row I've been hit from behind and I've received the penalty for someone hitting me!? It's just bonkers out there at the moment! I really hope someone fixes these because the person behind me probably doesn't mean to hit me but with lag and a stupidly slow safety car I'm getting rammed and I'm taking the penalty! As I was typing this I was spectating a race and witnessed some bloke go flat stick into someone, and the guy doing nothing got a penalty. I really hope this gets fixed soon because this is easily exploitable and it's really going to ruin the experience for some people imo.

90% of the guys that complain about this come to a complete stop because their time delta for a VSC is .2s in the red, even when they have 15 seconds to slow down with a timer on top of the screen. 

Just run a wide or narrow line, and let the guy behind you understand that you aren't going to keep your nose 3ft from the guy in front of you for the entire 3 SC laps. You don't have to warm up the tires if they are green. It only takes half a lap before the SC ends to warm up the tires. So stay off the racing line and you can avoid it. 

Most of the safety car collisions I see are a concertina effect. The guy in 2nd place races full throttle on lap 1 of the SC, the idiot behind copies him, and the idiot behind him follows him, and the idiot behind him (ME!) crashes into someone. 

I have been brake checked during a SC too, so I can see why the system penalizes the guy that gets rear ended too. Some people come to a complete stop for no reason, and people intentionally brake check to cause wing damage. 

If everyone practised driving a lap at 50% throttle, then these collisions wouldn't happen.

Edited by ChicagoSeminole
  • Like 1

I think safety car is just to hard to manage for a lot of impatient drivers. A log of gamers think they can win a race when under safety car and get right behind you and hit you from behind. I can't count how many of my races has been ruined under safety car. I am really careful but sometimes you just can't do anything except praying to have a AI car behind you.

I think it must be literally impossible to code a penalty system that is able to automatically tell when a driver is in the 'wrong' and when they aren't.

It's not like football and, say, whether a team wins a corner or not - something that is clearly defined.

You can be the driver ahead and be 100% responsible for a crash, even if the driver behind hits you. It's really, really difficult to write clear definitions for. And add the Safety Car into the mix and that's a whole other set of variables that must be taken into account.

I really don't envy the programmers who have to deal with coding the penalty system.

Same with going off track in wet conditions for example. You very often get a penalty for cutting the track. This really annoys me, Assetto Corsa does this much better. No time advantage gained you hear and no penalty is given.

18 hours ago, RLLL said:

Ghosting should trigger when 1m from the car infront so you dont get these penalties under SC.

Ghosting is a good idea but i guess they reallyyy want to keep it "realistic"

I have in some lobbies been able to press start during the SC so the AI takes over, and it some times ghost my car but keeps me in formation as well. I feel like this has been a good solution for me because I can forget about the next two laps and I don't seem to get any penalties. Maybe the game understands you're not there and you shouldn't be liable for anything because it's AI that's taking control.

4 hours ago, Blent said:

I think it must be literally impossible to code a penalty system that is able to automatically tell when a driver is in the 'wrong' and when they aren't.

It's not like football and, say, whether a team wins a corner or not - something that is clearly defined.

You can be the driver ahead and be 100% responsible for a crash, even if the driver behind hits you. It's really, really difficult to write clear definitions for. And add the Safety Car into the mix and that's a whole other set of variables that must be taken into account.

I really don't envy the programmers who have to deal with coding the penalty system.

It certainly would be a hard job 🤣 I feel like they are maybe too strict with it? When I played full simulation and rules in forza I felt like it was judged well (it isn't perfect though you still get pinned for stupid stuff at times). The game understood racing situations and would often let you off if you bump into a car while racing, but it would penalize you if you knocked the car off track, and or made the car spin and it seemed to do a good job at recognizing that. I feel like it should be judged on whether who's in the position ahead, and if contact is made and the car in the position ahead loses a set amount of time in the incident because the person behind you did a dive bomb, it should really pick up who's at fault?

6 hours ago, Blent said:

You are right, but the solution doesn’t even need to be that complicated.

- Disable penalties for collisions under SC that don’t result in car damage (this would resolve 99% of the light taps from behind players give you in Multiplayer)

- Disable penalties for collisions that occur below a certain speed (say 150kph) as the penalty is usually given for “severe collision” and a severe collision implies high speed

- Disable collision-related penalties under SC altogether. Additionally to prevent grifting, car damage could be temporarily disabled while under SC to stop people from crashing into others 

None of these solutions would require the programmers to re-code the game to make it understand who is at fault, as intent is incredibly hard to program. What they do offer is an uncomplicated workaround.

I can’t remember the last time a real F1 driver got a 5sec penalty for causing a severe collision while under Safety Car. Just disable collision related penalties during SC and the problem is fixed.

2 hours ago, Willnesss said:

Ghosting is a good idea but i guess they reallyyy want to keep it "realistic"

I have in some lobbies been able to press start during the SC so the AI takes over, and it some times ghost my car but keeps me in formation as well. I feel like this has been a good solution for me because I can forget about the next two laps and I don't seem to get any penalties. Maybe the game understands you're not there and you shouldn't be liable for anything because it's AI that's taking control.

The safety car is far from realistic seeing as you cannot unlap yourself whilst behind it, something codemasters simply refuse to acknowledge. Adding 1m ghosting zones would only benefit people not hinder anything 

• Like 1