Jump to content Jump to content

Taking a penalty for someone hitting you during SC? Penalty system is absolutely trash.

Willnesss

1 hour ago, CptBalloonhands said:

You are right, but the solution doesn’t even need to be that complicated.

- Disable penalties for collisions under SC that don’t result in car damage (this would resolve 99% of the light taps from behind players give you in Multiplayer)

- Disable penalties for collisions that occur below a certain speed (say 150kph) as the penalty is usually given for “severe collision” and a severe collision implies high speed

- Disable collision-related penalties under SC altogether. Additionally to prevent grifting, car damage could be temporarily disabled while under SC to stop people from crashing into others 

None of these solutions would require the programmers to re-code the game to make it understand who is at fault, as intent is incredibly hard to program. What they do offer is an uncomplicated workaround.

I can’t remember the last time a real F1 driver got a 5sec penalty for causing a severe collision while under Safety Car. Just disable collision related penalties during SC and the problem is fixed.

Although this would work technically, you'd be creating a very big negative side effect; even poorer driver behavior. If there's no penalty involved drivers will try anything.

18 minutes ago, BarryB said:

Although this would work technically, you'd be creating a very big negative side effect; even poorer driver behavior. If there's no penalty involved drivers will try anything.

Honestly, I don't think it would even be an issue. People that do these things wouldn't care much about getting a penalty, it's very obvious they don't care if you've played online for more than 10 minutes. Worst case, you could disable both - car damage and collision penalties - during SC, so the worst they could do is crash into you at full speed to no effect, but I don't think it's necessary.

The bigger problem is that players are already abusing the existing system and tapping others from behind on purpose, giving them multiple 5s penalties to destroy their race.

I think it's at least worth a try.

Not directed at safety car periods but is it not possible to perhaps add speed limits at slow corners, where if you approach said corner at a speed higher than X then your car will ghost? Will save people getting punted at hairpins by some mario kart loving cretin. I mean the window for this would be very marginal, like the speed limit would come into force on the apex so that people will still be allowed to brake late by accident. I sympathise with the penalty system as its impossible to get it perfect, but when I get hit in the backside in Monza at turn 1 and travel across the grass to cut it because I have no choice, i'd like to think the game can piece it together and realise I simply had no choice and I'm not deserving of my 10s penalty.