Jump to content Jump to content

Posted (edited)

Jep, the top photo is 2021. Don't get me wrong, I love the game but the graphic on lastgen is disappointing. 

f1 2020: the shadow quality is better (halo shadows, shadows appear 10m in front of the car in f1 2021) 

Better LOD

Many little details (not important for the race but the atmosphere), like the reflections on the track in the background and the Gras. Flying birds and helicopters and dynamic cloudshadows on the track. 

All that's missing in f1 2021. Jep f1 2021 has more realistic coloration and I love the ai (most of the time), but overall f1 2020 is in my opinion the better looking game on PS4 pro. 

And sorry for my english😉

51 minutes ago, Ultra3142 said:

Presumably the top photo is 2021? In what way do you think it's worse? If anything I'd say 2021 looks better but you probably have something specific in mind...

PS_App_20210801_023343.jpeg

PS_App_20210801_023234.jpeg

PS_App_20210801_023328.jpeg

PS_App_20210801_023301.jpeg

PS_App_20210801_023244.jpeg

PS_App_20210801_023413.jpeg

Edited by maulwurfmann83
  • Agree 2
  • Disagree 1
2 hours ago, maulwurfmann83 said:

The track tarmac in F1 2021 looks definitely too grainy, those two mclaren pics show that clearly. and not just on PS4.

Not to mention the trees shadows loading slowly and progressively as you go (at Monza they're awful), and the shadow under the cars disappearing after a few meters...

• Agree 1
43 minutes ago, ZAPPADIETRO said:

The track tarmac in F1 2021 looks definitely too grainy, those two mclaren pics show that clearly. and not just on PS4.

Not to mention the trees shadows loading slowly and progressively as you go (at Monza they're awful), and the shadow under the cars disappearing after a few meters...

@maulwurfmann83@Ultra3142@KNT2011

• Agree 2

I hate the 'pop in' on things like trees though. This happens on all platforms, including high spec PCs going by YouTube footage. I'd prefer lower resolution assets to reduce this, which I'm less likely to notice when driving than pop-in.

1 hour ago, Ultra3142 said:

Personally I actually think things like tarmac and grass look more realistic in this year's game. In the McLaren photos above the 2020 picture looks too clean/perfect to my eyes.

On ps5/PC the Gras looks like 2020, but with a bit lower LOD. I don't understand, why they downgraded it on PS4 this year so immense. OK I can live with it, but the shadows in f1 2021... No way🤦‍♂️

Yeah can't believe how disappointing the game looks on next gen. Wasn't expect a huge upgrade, but didn't expect birds, helicopters, planes to be cut, little things but they add depth. 

Even worse is how there is so much tree shadow loading that distracts and catches your eye as your driving. The jaggies on white lines on track are bad this year too. (both of which were not present in last years game like it is this year) Quality mode didn't seem to bring it back to even last years standard 

I would hope all this will be getting sorted, but I seriously doubt it 

Edited by TomAAA
  • Agree 1
19 minutes ago, TomAAA said:

Yeah can't believe how disappointing the game looks on next gen. Wasn't expect a huge upgrade, but didn't expect birds, helicopters, planes to be cut, little things but they add depth. 

Even worse is how there is so much tree shadow loading that distracts and catches your eye as your driving. The jaggies on white lines on track are bad this year too. (both of which were not present in last years game like it is this year) Quality mode didn't seem to bring it back to even last years standard 

I would hope all this will be getting sorted, but I seriously doubt it 

Absolutely, I mean, in F1 2020 there's even desert mirages on the tarmac, not that perfect, but hey, overall it's so much better than 2021...

I've seen you've posted a report: they want the template to be filled in, included the report code. The admin won't tag it anyway, as he didn't for 2 or 3 I posted there: no blessed 2021.png.724125ef06bcd642faf43774bdad7f8b.png!!! :classic_laugh:

And you know why? Devs are not blind, they see what me and you are seeing, they're perfectly aware of how poor the graphics are, no need for us to tell them what they already know.

11 hours ago, ZAPPADIETRO said:

they're perfectly aware of how poor the graphics are

With the exception of Overcast (dry) weather: it's really improved, lights are considerably more realistic, in F1 2021 it's a pleasure driving in those conditions (consider that pop-ins and shadows issues are pretty much invisible when there's no direct sunlight)

Speaking of pop-ins, here's another nice one under the bridge in Canada:

ezgif-2-ca707d0ac4bb.gif.b5efd8e3a65e275f7e670059bd1f4815.gif

• 1 month later...

See I know I’m old... birds? trees? I honestly don’t understand why people focus on how good the background looks.   Esp in a game where your sole focus should be on racing at 200mph+. I prefer every effort used on making gameplay and Ai the best it can be.

But don’t get upset that I don’t get the fascination on graphics.  I grew up in a time when we thought txt only games were awesome 

On 9/16/2021 at 10:34 PM, ScaredDuck said:

See I know I’m old... birds? trees? I honestly don’t understand why people focus on how good the background looks.

Different people care about different things? Impossible.

I prefer every effort used on making gameplay and Ai the best it can be.

Game companies are not singular entities. The people who make the textures, models, lighting, etc. are not the same people who make the gameplay. You're not losing any development time on that side from the graphics team making a better looking game. 

But don’t get upset that I don’t get the fascination on graphics.  I grew up in a time when we thought txt only games were awesome 

I agree that graphics aren't everything. But I've never played a game without any.

• Like 1

Dude wasn’t having a dig at you... I’m a libertarian.,,, longs your not hurting anyone in process,  we should all think or do whatever we want,  believe what you want party as hard as you want...  

I just don’t get it... never said you was wrong or thought that I was right...  

Have one of my beer 🍺 

On 8/1/2021 at 11:51 AM, maulwurfmann83 said:

Jep, the top photo is 2021. Don't get me wrong, I love the game but the graphic on lastgen is disappointing. 

f1 2020: the shadow quality is better (halo shadows, shadows appear 10m in front of the car in f1 2021) 

Better LOD

Many little details (not important for the race but the atmosphere), like the reflections on the track in the background and the Gras. Flying birds and helicopters and dynamic cloudshadows on the track. 

All that's missing in f1 2021. Jep f1 2021 has more realistic coloration and I love the ai (most of the time), but overall f1 2020 is in my opinion the better looking game on PS4 pro. 

And sorry for my english😉

PS_App_20210801_023328.jpeg

PS_App_20210801_023301.jpeg

PS_App_20210801_023244.jpeg

PS_App_20210801_023413.jpeg

To be honest I can't see any difference on the graphics. The only thing I know is that F1 2021 has a slight less shadow effects below the car (auto-traced shadows doesn't count), which makes the feeling that the car is "hovering".