Sign in to follow this  

Rubber band AI?

I haven't noticed any rubber banding by the AI. I developed a 2 second lead at Indianapolis that only grew during a 20 lap oval race. I wound up lapping 3 competitors.

That's good to hear. If there is something I hate about racing games, it's the rubber band AI. I'm glad this isn't the case so my pre-order stays. Come friday!! :)

I have noticed on a couple of occasions during a 5x race while chasing a few cars that they seem to slow down just a tiny bit after about 2/3 of the race is completed. For example, I'm 5 seconds behind on lap 10, then on lap 11 I'm suddenly only 2.5 seconds behind and I start slowly reeling in the car in front. It doesn't happen every time, so maybe the the AI just made a mistake somewhere or somehow damaged their car and I didn't see it.

Awong124 said:
I have noticed on a couple of occasions during a 5x race while chasing a few cars that they seem to slow down just a tiny bit after about 2/3 of the race is completed. For example, I'm 5 seconds behind on lap 10, then on lap 11 I'm suddenly only 2.5 seconds behind and I start slowly reeling in the car in front. It doesn't happen every time, so maybe the the AI just made a mistake somewhere or somehow damaged their car and I didn't see it.
Codemasters have mentioned that the AI do suffer mechanical damage so it's probable that they might have dropped a gear or something, or indeed gone off at a corner.

After this last race, I'm going to say there is indeed rubberband AI. I had got into a rather rough crash early on, and was able to keep up with the pack ahead of me for the most part. They just kept riding their brakes when they'd get out too far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaW1HhwBHA8

The true test for rubberband AI and i'm sure it will prove this game has rubber band AI (not that i mind though)

1. Start a 6 or more lap race on hard or very hard, skip qualify so you are at the back of the grid
2. Start to overtake and judge how difficult it is to overtake the AI in the first couple of laps of the race
3. Now stop the car and let the AI lap you
4. Start to overtake again from the back of the pack
5. If it's much easier now to overtake, you have proof of rubberband AI
6. Post your findings here ( i do not have the game yet)

Historically Grid 1 definitely had rubberband AI but the severity of this depended on the difficulty level set. Take a normal difficulty level on grid and race to your best ability and take a note of AI race times. Then repeat the race going very slowly at back of grid. The ai slow down considerably to allow you to catch up. This is most significant at lowest difficulty and almost disappears at hardest. Grid autosport probably does the same. I will test when have the game. I think they do this to maintain pack racing but it is incredibly annoying as if the AI do not run "true" then it makes longer races pointless as you could effectively race poorly for 19 laps and still overtake everyone on last (on lower difficulty)

From what I've seen the AI don't rubberband at all - except perhaps for Ravenwest.

I say this because on a reverse-grid start I started on pole (missed quali, derp) and I eventually had a ten-second lead over a Liqui Moly car in 2nd before I ditched most of it by outbraking myself first corner. Down to about four/five seconds and Nathan McKane starts carving up through the podium places, takes two laps to get past that car. I'm about three seconds ahead due to scrubby braking.

He absolutely STORMED up on me on the last lap. He didn't get past me, though - and his fastest lap in the end was only about 0.4s faster than mine. Given I was driving the Oakley Cruze (no upgrade capability) versus a fully-tuned BMW, I reckon I did a fair job.

None of the other AI were slowing down or anything. My team-mate held 3rd for six laps until McKane literally barged him off the track at a hairpin - came last in the end, which is a shame.

Codemasters have done a thoroughly good job with the AI and handling. I don't feel cheated at all just yet. I only feel the effects of a bad car. :P

With Grid the rubberbanding was more noticeable with them slowing down to let player catch up rather than other way around

Voidhawk said:
With Grid the rubberbanding was more noticeable with them slowing down to let player catch up rather than other way around
I always played on Extreme or Ninja so the only rubberbanding I saw was their "105% mode" when they were behind me, which I haven't really seen on GAS because I've started on pole and in 16th and the AI accelerated off the line the same way every time.

... Those Cusco BMWs are really slow, too!

I think we need to bump this thread up. There's a lot of discussion of rubberbanding AI on the Steam forums. Maybe we could have some more input on this matter by the devs either here or on the Steam forums?

I think we need to bump this thread up. There's a lot of discussion of rubberbanding AI on the Steam forums. Maybe we could have some more input on this matter by the devs either here or on the Steam forums?
I sent Loore a PM asking for information on the AI mechanics (including setups and AI tweaks) and he completely ignored it. Needless to say he's not going to give anyone any information but it's apparent that it's the same mechanic used in Grid 1, albeit not as obvious for the most part.

Here's an Example of Rubberbanding AI: I qualified at one of the Autosport configurations in Touring car with a 1.34.97, good enough for pole. Then in the race I actually ran faster than that by a tenth. Thinking I had the fastest lap I was surprised to see that 4th place had run nearly 2 seconds faster than me (1.33.02) and it wasn't even a Ravenwest car. 

I'm assuming the reason for the anomily in lap time was due to AI catching up, as I ran a pretty flawless race. 

Here's an Example of Rubberbanding AI: I qualified at one of the Autosport configurations in Touring car with a 1.34.97, good enough for pole. Then in the race I actually ran faster than that by a tenth. Thinking I had the fastest lap I was surprised to see that 4th place had run nearly 2 seconds faster than me (1.33.02) and it wasn't even a Ravenwest car. 

I'm assuming the reason for the anomily in lap time was due to AI catching up, as I ran a pretty flawless race. 
If they hung back and made a dash through the pack using perfectly timed slipstream overtakes it could happen :)

Loggy said:

If they hung back and made a dash through the pack using perfectly timed slipstream overtakes it could happen :)
Not really. All the AI do faster laps in races than in qualifying for me, including the terrible drivers that are always 5 seconds behind everyone else and can't draft.