Jump to content Jump to content

Real F1 and F2 drivers in one game mode

Okay, let's talk about the fact that the only way we have to play as real F1 and F2 drivers is in Grand Prix mode, which is extremely limited for a game that claims to simulate the real F1.

I have no problem with creating a fictional avatar and using it in the career mode or online, but EVERY other Sport and Racing simulation (!) game has the possibility to have a career with real teams/players/drivers and use them in other game modes, only F1 by codemasters is very limited to this. 

I find this decision extremely worrying.
just imagine Codematsres removes the grand prix mode in the future, then it is nowhere possible to drive as Hamilton, Verstappen or Alonso.

It can't be right to have only 1 of 6-7 game modes to play as real life drivers. Codemasters have to think about this decision again for the future.

• Agree 1

to clarify what we can play in which game mode

Singleplayer Career - Avatar
Real season start - Avatar
Two-player career - Avatar
My Team - Avatar
Time Trial - Avatar
Braking Point - Fictional Drivers
Online - Avatar
Grand Prix Mode - Real Drivers 

See what i mean?
now imagine the only game mode you can play your favorite soccer team in fifa is free play. 

• Agree 1
39 minutes ago, FTBuzzard said:

EVERY other Racing simulation game has the possibility to have a career with real drivers

Any examples? 

Out of curiosity I booted up ones I've played recently

WRC 8 - Create your own driver

Moto GP 20 - Create your own driver

NASCAR Heat 5 - Create your own driver

ACC Competizione - Create your own driver

F1 doesn't seem all that out of line with other racers when it comes to career mode and drivers, unless you can show some examples otherwise. 

Truthfully man I think it comes down to licensing, at least in F1. They've never done it, ever, so it leads me to think there's something in the agreement that mentions players can't affect the long term career of licensed drivers, something to that effect. 

3 minutes ago, KNT2011 said:

Any examples? 

Out of curiosity I booted up ones I've played recently

WRC 8 - Create your own driver

Moto GP 20 - Create your own driver

NASCAR Heat 5 - Create your own driver

ACC Competizione - Create your own driver

F1 doesn't seem all that out of line with other racers when it comes to career mode and drivers, unless you can show some examples otherwise. 

Truthfully man I think it comes down to licensing, at least in F1. They've never done it, ever, so it leads me to think there's something in the agreement that mentions players can't affect the long term career of licensed drivers, something to that effect. 

It can not be that you order a juice and 90% of it is just water, and only 10% is juice.

i mean, okay, Career mode i can understand in some ways,  although the other sports games from EA (wich f1 is counting) allow real players in career modes.
but what's with other mode?
Even real season start makes the entire mode useless if we just can't play as real drivers.
Online mode had real f1 drivers in the past.

It doesn't looks like licensing was ever a problem for EA.

3 minutes ago, FTBuzzard said:

Even real season start makes the entire mode useless if we just can't play as real drivers.

Agreed, has been discussed elsewhere it's a big disappointment and should have been a championship mode with real driver play. 

3 minutes ago, FTBuzzard said:

It doesn't looks like licensing was ever a problem for EA.

Making it very simple. We see the challenged of licensing that CM faces every year, they still can't get agreement to put sponsor boards up in the empty spaces at Suzuka. 

I don't think it's a general licensing issue but something specific to FOM/F1. It just seems like there's far too much restriction as to what CM can and can't do. I genuinely think things like driver transfers, the ability to edit the calendar somewhat, were things that they probably had to fight FOM over. 

This seems to stem from the lack of Championships mode, really.  I do think they underestimated how appreciated that mode was.

The Grand Prix mode workaround doesn't work as you can't do any other races in the interim so it's generally just one-off races with no consequences. You could actually unlock trophies last year like Driver Champion and stuff like that.  

I don't mind that it's not in Driver Career and MyTeam.  These modes make more sense as an avatar who can grow.  I've heard licensing could be an issue but no idea how or why if you can be them in Championships and Grand Prix that it suddenly becomes an issue to be them in a career format?   I imagine some people will mind as you can be a real player in FIFA Career, so why not a racing one?

Online makes sense as that's your online persona.  Seems separate to the Career avatar this year. 

Time Trial - Not massively fussed. I'd still not see it as being them in a mode like this.

Braking Point, I can understand.  Making someone like Lando/George a Devon-like character would make people think that is their real-life personality and it affects marketability. Plus Kimi isn't old enough to be Casper yet. 

Real Season Start should have been where they were but that should never have been a career mode. It should have been a championships mode. 

Well, the real season is a downer as it is not...well real season if we look at it. I like moto gp stanza, where you can use real or avatar in many modes, sometimes more is indeed greater.

I do agree that it might be some fine printing on the licence or lack thereof on this specific topic.

On 8/2/2021 at 12:37 PM, FTBuzzard said:

Okay, let's talk about the fact that the only way we have to play as real F1 and F2 drivers is in Grand Prix mode, which is extremely limited for a game that claims to simulate the real F1.

I have no problem with creating a fictional avatar and using it in the career mode or online, but EVERY other Sport and Racing simulation (!) game has the possibility to have a career with real teams/players/drivers and use them in other game modes, only F1 by codemasters is very limited to this. 

I find this decision extremely worrying.
just imagine Codematsres removes the grand prix mode in the future, then it is nowhere possible to drive as Hamilton, Verstappen or Alonso.

It can't be right to have only 1 of 6-7 game modes to play as real life drivers. Codemasters have to think about this decision again for the future.

Honestly cannot agree with this more, there’s literally nowhere to play as the actual F1 or F2 drivers all it is just career mode with your own stupid ass fictional driver. I really think they under-appreciated massively how many people just want to play as the actual drivers and do a career mode season as one of the real drivers 

• Agree 1

If they're going to commit to making us utilise our Custom driver everywhere then the least that could happen is better customisation.

It is odd to have license to have the drivers in the game and then utilise them as minimal as possible.  Unless Championships mode comes back when the tracks are added so it's an 'official calendar' again then it's a real misstep. 

On 8/4/2021 at 6:02 PM, XboistonXx said:

Honestly cannot agree with this more, there’s literally nowhere to play as the actual F1 or F2 drivers all it is just career mode with your own stupid ass fictional driver. I really think they under-appreciated massively how many people just want to play as the actual drivers and do a career mode season as one of the real drivers 

Well said.