Jump to content Jump to content

Please Fix The Kerbs

This year the kerbs are a joke, I can be using the same kerb for a number of laps and then all of a sudden I'm bounced up and spun, or I can just simply spin exiting a kerb despite having plenty of grip, why are they becoming more and more unusable when in real life they're used so heavily, please sort this out, also when is a ERS button fix coming? 

• Agree 4
  • Disagree 3

Can you provide a short video clip of you using the same kerb for a number of laps and then all of a sudden be bounced up and spun? A glimpse into your setup would also do wonders as groundeffect is a thing for the first time in these games.

I have not driven on all tracks, but I made a habit of firing up the Instant Replay every time I spin and to this day they've all felt painfully justified. Most of the times I am:

• attacking the curb at a too aggressive of an angle;
  • not modulating the throttle/brake well enough;
  • actually putting a wheel on the painted strip or on the grass/gravel outside the kerb.

Looking for real onboard lap videos with telemetry also helps easing off the frustration as more often than not we can see the real drivers really modulating their inputs in the real deal.

• Agree 2
  • Disagree 1

Fine tuning the setup helps driving on the kerbs. I would say that the drivers might make it look easier than it really is. Not saying that its perfect, it can always be enhanced but I do feel the car isnt with the right setup or my input was too extreme making it spin. The jumps are weird, but I dont understand yet the aero pressure and height of the car and its impacts.

• Agree 1

Suzuka is a absolutele blast to drive this year with the kerbs how they are . Challenging yes , frustrating definitely especially for people like me who disable flashbacks. sector 1 is so nervous every time I make it through without binning it on the kerbs it a relief but dread it every lap but even when I inevitably bin it I know it was my mistake so I'm cool with it . Spa kerbs at the top of the hill after eu rouge are tricky but again it makes it more tense and challenging  . Personally I love the kerbs this year and hope they don't reduce them in patches. Just got to adapt and avoid certain ones ..... And if you do hit one wrong you will spin but it was your error so just do better job next time ,....

Edited by Naxlr
  • Agree 5
  • Disagree 2

Had rain today in a practice session in Monaco. I turned off ABS last week, the only assist I had, and this was my first GP with it off.

In Monaco.

In the rain. 

On a controller.

It was the most fun I've ever had in this games. The whole way to the Swimming Pool section until finally arriving at Rascasse I was making in a single breath.

Granted, Monaco kerbs are not egregiously murderous, but it's still Monaco with walls everywhere. It made every single corner phase feeling like I was on the edge of losing it all.

Exactly . For me that's how  racing game should feel like . Risk of loosing it at any moment and when you do just take it on the chin and accept you messed up .. That a tough introduction to no assist tho Monaco in rain lol. I'm also on a controller but coming from pc2 and acc both which are DEFINITELY not made with controller users in mind this game actually feels great on a pad . I love the challenge of the kerbs but wouldn't be surprised if they get toned down if enough people keep complaining ......

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

It had been months since I last played F1 2020, but this year's game feels so much refined in the rumble and feedback? I play on the PS4 and with headphones. The sound and above all the feeling with the rumble always fed me the notion of what wheel was losing grip or about to lock up.

It's so much rewarding to modulate the throttle and brake in this game. I sincerely recommend everyone to take a leisure lap, maybe even in the rain, and make a point of sloooowlyyyy applying brakes and specially the throttle on corner exit. I experimented a lot with short shifting and downshifting in this practice session to improve my handling and it was only possible (or only rewarding) because I could spot what corner of the car I was about to lose.

• Disagree 1

Yes PS4 pro to and headphones to lol. Just used red bull and Ferrari today and the sound is pretty awesome in this game . Yes the handling as well I think is a step up and best it's ever been. You can really push now as there seems to be rear end grip unlike 19 but you can also very easily loose it but as you say you can feel when you close to loosing it . Guess some people don't enjoy a challenge m8 it feels slightly more sim and I'm all for it . F1 is the highest level motorsport it should be tough and challenging.....

• Agree 1

Are you feeling hugged? You should, as I'm sending virtual huggsies to you, mate haha

There's so much to improve yet and this year's entry made some glaring mistakes that let me down hard, like the way they massacred my boys practice programs. However, if I could wish one just one thing, it probably would be a better AI under wet conditions. Because it was oh so freaking cool to drive in the wet but come any drizzling and suddenly the AI is all a huge Sunday school Macarena train.

LoL yes m8 I received them lol . Seems we have similar likes and real dislikes with this game. Good in area we mentioned but yes the rain is really bad like to the point now I just tempted to just simulate the wet stuff as they can't pass it so poor. Trying to remember if previous games had this issue didn't really play 20 much as hated the train ai even in dry but pretty sure 18,19 didn't have this rain issue . Pretty sure I would of noticed it . 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

image.thumb.png.9fdad1d13c01f092f13cd8d1000ad481.png

Whenever I see a generic rant about kerbs in this game – highly recommend, the soundtrack is a blast. "But that's Mazepin, that's not fair!" yeah, right, we totally should be compared to Hamilton and Verstappen.

“If I go back a bit of time where, even things like kerbing and grass, it was all just very flat,” he says. “Through the controller, you wouldn't get any shock or bounce over a kerb. All the tracks felt the same and it didn't really capture undulations and things like that, so there's a lot more feel now.”

Daniel Ricciardo to Autosport

Personal favorite bits from the video above:

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 2

There’s this lowkey simracer on youtube, viperconcept, that I enthusiastically recommend for everyone. Knowledgeable and informative – two related but fundamentally different attributes. And there’s no voice-over for his older videos, it’s all on-screen text, so great for that muted youtube session on the work’s loo or the bed besides the snoring beauty.

Coincidentally found this video about taking kerbs properly.

My three personal takes:

• Nice video.
  • I do not remember having to be as much aware to mount or ride kerbs on previous F1 games.
  • I do not think F1 2021 deviates from what is shown in the video.

Honestly, this whole quarrel could be settled with a switch under the Simulation menu: [Kerbs - Reduced | Simulation]. Just make it practically an assist in all but name and let the community find its way to the new handling model.

• Agree 1
On 12/8/2021 at 17:14, marioho said:

Hay un simracer discreto en youtube, viperconcept , que recomiendo con entusiasmo para todos. Conocedor e informativo: dos atributos relacionados pero fundamentalmente diferentes. Y no hay voz en off para sus videos más antiguos, todo es texto en pantalla, tan genial para esa sesión de youtube en silencio en el baño del trabajo o en la cama, además de la belleza de los ronquidos.

Casualmente encontré este video sobre cómo tomar las aceras correctamente.

Mis tres tomas personales:

• Buen vídeo.
  • No recuerdo tener que ser tan consciente para montar o montar bordillos en juegos anteriores de F1.
  • No creo que F1 2021 se desvíe de lo que se muestra en el video.

Honestamente, toda esta disputa podría resolverse con un interruptor en el menú Simulación: [ Bordillos - Reducido | Simulación ] . Simplemente conviértalo en una ayuda en todo menos en el nombre y deje que la comunidad encuentre su camino hacia el nuevo modelo de manejo.  

I completely agree with adding that option but the truth is that there are some curbs that you can't take at speed, eau rodge or almost all of Zandvoort is completely frustrating because of the minimal touches you give to the kerbs and the car comes to life spinning all over the place. 

• Agree 1

I haven´t seen any pro eSports player or high profile streamer who agrees that the kerbs are correct or great or ok.... 

Kerbs are the same problem as the bumps on some tracks... There was something that has been misdeveloped or I don´t know, can´t explain it in any way...some of the physics are just broken

You can take it as a challenge etc.. but still no comparison to real F1... If you look at Suzuka and Vettels Pole this wouldn´t be possible in F1 2021... 

I agree that a lot of kerbs are ok, but there are deadly kerbs which are OP and unrealistic... 

STILL: Sounds crazy, but this game is really fun!

For me fix:

1) Some of the kerbs

2) Delete those bumps

3) Fix AI on Netherlands, Silverstone, etc.. High speed corners with understeering... watched DAVE GAMING last time and this dude is also very quick but he said Netherlands won´t be played until it gets patched and this track is just the perfect example for all other high speed sections in other tracks.. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Whats wrong with the AI on Zandvoort? What understeer? Just dial it out through set up, its not hard. 

And tbh who cares what esports guys or streamers say? Just because they are quick on the game doesn't make them an authority on the realism of kerbs, if you can quote someone who has actually driven an open wheel car who says the kerbs are **** then I'll take note... And I can drive on the kerbs in Japan just like they do in F1 and not spin, whats the problem there? 

• Agree 2
  • Disagree 1

@KittyFit90 I cannot comment on zandvoort's AI as I haven't raced there yet. There's a big topic on the matter here. Looks like an imbalance in the rubberbanding and the on-rails behavior of the AI.

Cannot disagree with your comments on the eSports guys and specially, specially on the streamers. I'm not into any of those scenes really and I'll be cautious here to not put on the eSports players' bill what the community reports that they're saying as these things can easily become an echo chamber that amplifies and distorts the original message.

Streamers though? There are good ones out there, but even among the most established echelon you'll find a bunch of clickbaity screamers. Guys that cover these games for a good number of entries and still do not know what camber means. 

This is dangerous territory as we risk coming off as pedantic or gate keeping, but please focus on the underlying message here. Codies' F1 games are simcade and they do a good job of pleasing both the general audience and the simracers. For having such a lenient system and degree of simulation, both esport players and streamers get to exploit on areas where the game chooses to be generous. Whenever comes a push to realism (in the sense of physics and aspects of open wheel racing being simulated by the engine) there's unavoidably going to be noise and aversion at first. Because eSport guys, specially when having the backing of real life teams and coaches, will get uneasy at first and eventually overcome it, but the clickbaity screamers will need more time. And these guys push videos out daily! No way they're letting go of the opportunity to surf on the aversion wave, so to speak.

Bottom line being, I'd be a fool to listen to a screamer - that do not even know what direction to go in a slider to add more camber to an axle! - about how kerbs should or should not be.

• Agree 2
  • Disagree 1

Yes!

eSports don't interest me either, I'm not good at games and am not interested in watching other people play them. From what I can gather though, most of them wouldn't be able to complete a single lap in a real car without dying of fright... And yeah streamers omg... But yes CM games are simcade and they do need to cater for those (like me) who are not so good at games but finally adding in realistic kerb behvaiour for 2021 I'm overjoyed! Some people will just have to learn how to drive properly and set their cars up correctly instead of running those weird setups that are so popular on youtube...

• Agree 1
4 hours ago, KittyFit90 said:

And tbh who cares what esports guys or streamers say? Just because they are quick on the game doesn't make them an authority on the realism of kerbs, if you can quote someone who has actually driven an open wheel car who says the kerbs are **** then I'll take note...

It would be interesting to know what Jarno Opmeer (the current F1 eSports champion) thinks, since he does have such experience:

• Agree 1
6 hours ago, marioho said:

@KittyFit90 I cannot comment on zandvoort's AI as I haven't raced there yet. There's a big topic on the matter here. Looks like an imbalance in the rubberbanding and the on-rails behavior of the AI.

Cannot disagree with your comments on the eSports guys and specially, specially on the streamers. I'm not into any of those scenes really and I'll be cautious here to not put on the eSports players' bill what the community reports that they're saying as these things can easily become an echo chamber that amplifies and distorts the original message.

Streamers though? There are good ones out there, but even among the most established echelon you'll find a bunch of clickbaity screamers. Guys that cover these games for a good number of entries and still do not know what camber means. 

This is dangerous territory as we risk coming off as pedantic or gate keeping, but please focus on the underlying message here. Codies' F1 games are simcade and they do a good job of pleasing both the general audience and the simracers. For having such a lenient system and degree of simulation, both esport players and streamers get to exploit on areas where the game chooses to be generous. Whenever comes a push to realism (in the sense of physics and aspects of open wheel racing being simulated by the engine) there's unavoidably going to be noise and aversion at first. Because eSport guys, specially when having the backing of real life teams and coaches, will get uneasy at first and eventually overcome it, but the clickbaity screamers will need more time. And these guys push videos out daily! No way they're letting go of the opportunity to surf on the aversion wave, so to speak.

Bottom line being, I'd be a fool to listen to a screamer - that do not even know what direction to go in a slider to add more camber to an axle! - about how kerbs should or should not be.

How far are you in?