Jump to content Jump to content

DiRT Rally - Flying Finland Update

Dnote

Reiska98 said:
If you want to see how Dirt Rally's Ouninpohja (Kakaristo) compares to the real world, I made a comparison :)
https://youtu.be/Hyf6IdStChY
    great comparison ! thx,
i like the left side of the video more ;) looks more realistc than boring flat right side :D
Thanks! Actually the virtual version is nothing like the real thing if you're driving full speed :disappointed: . I'm just glad its in the game in some way :D
I gotta say, I really love the Finland update, as well as the two new cars.  These stages are a lot of fun to drive, so fast-paced and full of pretty frightening and adrenaline-fueling moments :smiley: 
However, I'm having some kind of an issue with my co-driver and his pacenotes. No matter what setting I'm using on when he's gonna give me the calls, it doesn't change at all. I'm usually using early notes on the other stages/events, but they came a little too early for me in Finland. I can't really handle them that way and remember them when I'm actually approaching the corner he called.
So I set them to "normal", and after that, to "later", but they're still coming at the same point and too early for my taste.

So far I've only been able to test it on one stage (Kotajarvi), and it's especially notable in the first quarter of the stage.
As i've done most of my V1-mileage on German military bases, i tested various V2 cars there first. While I was devastated that all my sets I've fine tuned for hours were simply deleted, the driving that followed nullified these negative feelings. 
It's a big change. New cars feel fantastic.
Focus: Has that lovely turn sharp turn in you're used to see from Colin's Onboards. Great fun to drive.
Impreza: Lovely balance, more planted than the Focus and probably a bit faster on Tarmac at least.
The feedback of the tyres through the wheel is much more pronounced and both feel more connected.
WRC2010: Lovely, more feedback through the front wheels, more confidence in the car.
80s RWD: Drifting the Sierra round the junctions felt more intuitive and maybe slightly less grippy than before. Yet still those cars regain grip far too quickly. 

Generally i'd say that V2 is a revelation

The Bad: One thing that irritates me though is the cars physics at speed. Sure it's less planted and dependent on downforce but the first few km I felt like the cars behaved like a "crab" through fast bends. Judging by the visuals I thought I had to counter steer a slide, because visually I was going sideways, but the rear did not lose any grip and the FFB did not tell me to, cause physically I wasn't in a slide. It was a strange experience. It felt like the car had some kind of center pivot point or as if there's some issues with the inertia front to rear. As I got used to it it felt okay, but it's definitely something the Devs should look into. 

FFB: To get the best feeling on Tarmac I've had to bump up my previous FFB settings by 30%.

Finland: Well, I'm yet to finish a single stage so I can't comment on them apart from saying they're a big challenge. Miss your lines slightly and you might get away with it, three-wheeling out of the ditch. Miss them slightly more and you're gone into the trees at a million miles an hour. Can't wait to get that OculusRift!

All in all the last couple of Updates have transformed the game and brought great diversity, challenge and realism to the already very well polished base. Hats off codies!
I agree with what's said above on the pace notes, it's a bit overload. Iv reduced my call distance also as in some cases the notes are 3 corners ahead of me & I completely lose sequence

how can you see what time you are setting in relation to the community?
Awesome work Codemasters! This Finland update is 10 times better than I looked forward to. Roads are very accurate and feel like Finland (I know because I live nearby Jämsä and drive the real road often) New cars feel good to drive and new sounds are great. Ditches are perfect unlike in Wales where is banks everywhere and not real ditches. This is exactly how it should be, my new favourite is here. Very enjoyable and worth the wait, thank you! :)
As i've done most of my V1-mileage on German military bases, i tested various V2 cars there first. While I was devastated that all my sets I've fine tuned for hours were simply deleted, the driving that followed nullified these negative feelings. 
It's a big change. New cars feel fantastic.
Focus: Has that lovely turn sharp turn in you're used to see from Colin's Onboards. Great fun to drive.
Impreza: Lovely balance, more planted than the Focus and probably a bit faster on Tarmac at least.
The feedback of the tyres through the wheel is much more pronounced and both feel more connected.
WRC2010: Lovely, more feedback through the front wheels, more confidence in the car.
80s RWD: Drifting the Sierra round the junctions felt more intuitive and maybe slightly less grippy than before. Yet still those cars regain grip far too quickly. 

Generally i'd say that V2 is a revelation

The Bad: One thing that irritates me though is the cars physics at speed. Sure it's less planted and dependent on downforce but the first few km I felt like the cars behaved like a "crab" through fast bends. Judging by the visuals I thought I had to counter steer a slide, because visually I was going sideways, but the rear did not lose any grip and the FFB did not tell me to, cause physically I wasn't in a slide. It was a strange experience. It felt like the car had some kind of center pivot point or as if there's some issues with the inertia front to rear. As I got used to it it felt okay, but it's definitely something the Devs should look into. 

FFB: To get the best feeling on Tarmac I've had to bump up my previous FFB settings by 30%.

Finland: Well, I'm yet to finish a single stage so I can't comment on them apart from saying they're a big challenge. Miss your lines slightly and you might get away with it, three-wheeling out of the ditch. Miss them slightly more and you're gone into the trees at a million miles an hour. Can't wait to get that OculusRift!

All in all the last couple of Updates have transformed the game and brought great diversity, challenge and realism to the already very well polished base. Hats off codies!
You explain the crab/central pivot point perfectly. This is also how I feel on tarmac. It's a very strange sensation.

soraohjus said:
Awesome work Codemasters! This Finland update is 10 times better than I looked forward to. Roads are very accurate and feel like Finland (I know because I live nearby Jämsä and drive the real road often) New cars feel good to drive and new sounds are great. Ditches are perfect unlike in Wales where is banks everywhere and not real ditches. This is exactly how it should be, my new favourite is here. Very enjoyable and worth the wait, thank you! :)
Lol, nice to hear another side of the matter. Most Finns in here are going mental about how the stage is nothing like Finland.
Mouse support. Still needs some work but a good start. I'll need to play more to figure out what I can't do that I think I should be able to.

Custom championship. Potentially my ideal mode provided the game is smart enough not to choose duplicate pieces of road if I choose 6 stages or less. I wasn't paying enough attention in my short test today to see if that was the case.

15 second reset timer. It's a small improvement, I'll take it.

Rally Finland. Could end up being my favourite rally. All the jumps break up the flow at times but we can blame the Finns for that.

This Ouninpohja is like Hollywood edition of the real one. Don't know if that's what they wanted to do or just lack of data. I don't mind the color palettes but it's a shame that even the most famous places like the yellow house jump, Toni's rock, Mutanen junction, or Kakaristo is made terribly wrong. Hard to find a good flow when every crest is exaggerated. What makes it even worse is the thing that current damage model does not punish you if you make ridiculous jumps. In real life your back would be in pieces and dampers through the bonnet. If you want to go as fast as possible you have to do these ridiculous jumps. On the other hand you can still beat AI on every difficulty level when driven "properly" and respectfully.

But the most important thing, driving has taken a huge step forward! Had so much fun driving, as long as you treat the game like the real deal and not try to go as fast as possible. 

Do anyone have an idea if DiRT Rally simulate tyre slip angles at all? Because you can make the car to act ridiculously by steering way too much..
On the mouse support: Intutively you should be able to click on the actions at the bottom of the screen (continue, back, restart, save & exit). You still have to use the wheel/controller for that.

It would also be very nice if the car selection menu (60s, 70s, 80s, ...) was reworked into a grid, instead of the current three screens wide line. Would be a lot faster to navigate, with both keys or mouse.

And an additonal request related to this: wrap around. If you are on the far left of a menu and want to go to the far right, it would be very neat to do one left click instead of going through every. single. tile. all. the. way. to. the. far. right. (and vice verca, and top to bottom)

And another thing! Could the game please remember what was the last selection we had in a custom event? So if you did a custom rally in Finland, with 3 stages on Master in the Ford Sierra, those were pre-selected for you? At least I'm tired of always changing from Greece to whatever country I really want to drive, then navigating to the right car group again, and so on. More often than not I want to do almost the same thing, but just tweeking one or two things: day -> night, manta -> 037.
foppaldo said:
It would also be very nice if the car selection menu (60s, 70s, 80s, ...) was reworked into a grid, instead of the current three screens wide line. Would be a lot faster to navigate, with both keys or mouse.

And an additonal request related to this: wrap around. If you are on the far left of a menu and want to go to the far right, it would be very neat to do one left click instead of going through every. single. tile. all. the. way. to. the. far. right. (and vice verca, and top to bottom)
Just to note on car selection, if you haven't already figured it out you can use the mouse wheel to scroll through the cars. Much faster than clicking.

Good suggestion re having wrap around.
I don't know if this is just me, but the pacenotes in the Finland stages seemed really off. The co-driver was calling out 5+ corners before they arrived, which made him pretty much useless. I even set the co-driver-calls to 'early', but it didn't help much. I get you're supposed to run through these corners FAST, but that makes it even more annoying if the co-driver calls 'left 6' and you are faced with a 90 deg right after the next jump :/
Is anybody else having problems with this?
Martakus2 said:
I don't know if this is just me, but the pacenotes in the Finland stages seemed really off. The co-driver was calling out 5+ corners before they arrived, which made him pretty much useless. I even set the co-driver-calls to 'early', but it didn't help much. I get you're supposed to run through these corners FAST, but that makes it even more annoying if the co-driver calls 'left 6' and you are faced with a 90 deg right after the next jump :/

I was struggling with this too, but I would suggest that's what "early" mode should be like on all events and what is "early" on Germany, Wales and Greece should be standard. If they intend to update the other locations to similar timings then no problem, but otherwise ideally it would be altered to match.
Martakus2 said:
If you think the co driver is too far ahead you should set him to late rather than early.
https://youtu.be/Hyf6IdStChY 
thats the comparement video on ouninpohja. As you can see the have actually made more jumps and bumps to the road and that loses the feel of Finland for me completely, the flow. Finland is all about the flow of sweeping turns and the occasional jump. Here its like jump, jump, jump, oh and a corner. As said before its a Hollywood version of Finland.

Archived