Jump to content Jump to content

DiRT Rally - Flying Finland Update

Dnote

After trying the 70's, group A and 2001 I must agree that it feels there's way too much grip. Don't get me wrong, the handling in the updated cars feels really awesome, but I'd expect them to be less grippy and you shouldn't be able to carry so much speed through the corners. That being said you can still slide the Stratos way easily.

With regard to pace notes, I think they are good. Have had no problems with them in Finland after trying most of the stages. I really recommend taking few easy runs to scout the stages before attacking them fast. And yeah the notes don't always arrive as you would expect, but if you look at some real-life onboards you can hear they are given way early and are way complex.

My main grime with the pace notes is that the extra details don't step out clearly enough. I mean things like letting the driver know they should approach the corner with caution, or even be brave attacking it. The co-driver does give you a lot of cues but they drown to the engine noises too easily. In real-life onboards you often hear the co-driver really emphasise the uncommon things like dangers. Maybe Paul does this too since he's done real-life co-driving, but maybe the emphasis scared Codies' poor sound engineer and the stress on certain notes was left lying on the mixing room floor? IMHO they could perhaps revisit the pace note mixing and mastering and make the special things step out more.
How plausible would it be to shrink the track by maybe half a cars width? I feel like it's just a tad wide right now. I think taking a bit off the sides would really increase the feeling of speed, intensity and challenge without decreasing actual speed for 80% of the stages. It would also increase the learning curve for the stages,  as you would need to focus even more on car positioning over crests & coming into some of the tighter turns. There's only a few crests right now that can really mess you up if you take them wrong and with a tighter track it could be way less forgiving for poor driving. 

This is probably asking way to much for the dev team/designers, but I think it would be worth it in the long run. Thanks for listening and thank you for a fun update so far!

100% agree on a grip. Tested in finland, cannot throw a car into a tight corner and powerslide since the car has no inertia and accelerates immediately into direction wheels are pointing.
The car doesn't weigh enough now to create any pendulum effect!  You can't throw things if they are too light!!

bring back our weight, turn the tyre friction down instead :)
Why do people keep banging on about weight? The weight of the cars hasn't changed, it's the downforce on the cars that has changed. Pre 0.8 they were being forced into the ground with too much downforce now it seems people think there's not enough. 
Because it's the best way to describe the feeling, whether it's technically accurate or not. The car feels too 'light' over crests, whether that's not enough simulation of mass or not enough air resistance or gravity not being strong enough or cars having too much power or crests being too exaggerated or there being too little downforce/too much lift.

So yes, I think most people know why and that the mass of each car hasn't been reduced, but describing it thus is the best way to make that point without any more information being available.
SamRWD said:
I think advanced aerodynamics setup would be a nice addition given v2 changes.
Most cars doesn't have much of aero tech to be that relevant. Maybe the PP cars.

Honestly, I don't think there is a problem with how the cars come over crests. The problem is that the elevations in Finland is exagerated in the game and people keep the foot down when driving. There is lack of punishment when landing right now, if the suspension took more damage people would have to take care of the car better, thus jumping in a more sensible way.

I feel that the crests/jumps in Finland are a bit badly paced. You often land in the middle of the next jump upseting the car. You bounce around alot thanks to that. IRL the jumps look to have more of a flow to them. But that's ok. A year ago I had no hope for a rally game as awesome as this. I'm just happy it exists and look forward to it improving!
I have studied the "crab walk" on asphalt some more with the Focus 2001. Set the raer toe +0.5 and front -0.5 trying to make it more stable in the rear and the difference was noticeable in the feeling but not in the visuals. Watching the replay in chase camera, i noticed that physics-wise, the car follows a predictable trajectory, but visually, the front is behaving as it should but the rear is stepping out, this gives an illusion of centre pivot or as it would steer with the rear axle aswell.

Probably present on the gravel but since everything goes sideways there, it is much less noticeable.
dwkGravey said:
Really enjoying the sound of the cars echoing in the Finnish forests! Just awesome. I think Dirt Rally has definitively stolen Best Racing Game Audio from RaceRoom.
Finding it hard to choose which is better, but sound is probably a key reason as to why these are by far and away my top 2 favourites. Must agree that the new Impreza sounds are superb.
dwkGravey said:
Really enjoying the sound of the cars echoing in the Finnish forests! Just awesome. I think Dirt Rally has definitively stolen Best Racing Game Audio from RaceRoom.
Finding it hard to choose which is better, but sound is probably a key reason as to why these are by far and away my top 2 favourites. Must agree that the new Impreza sounds are superb.
I still find the M3 the best showcase when it comes to sound. It has that raw, mean intake sound that just send a chill through your body. It has a punch to it that all other sims lack.
bogani said:
dwkGravey said:
I still find the M3 the best showcase when it comes to sound. It has that raw, mean intake sound that just send a chill through your body. It has a punch to it that all other sims lack.
I think it's my favorite sounding car! I did mentioned in another thread how it seemed to me as if its sound had changed slightly with v0.8 - as if the revs now hang a little and the limiter sounds a little different, but maybe it's just me?
I feel as if the entire audio mixing has changed, all engine sounds seem a little muddy now? Could just be me or my settings if no one else thinks the audio has changed. Still sounds great all the same.
TanHammer said:
bogani said:
dwkGravey said:
I think it's my favorite sounding car! I did mentioned in another thread how it seemed to me as if its sound had changed slightly with v0.8 - as if the revs now hang a little and the limiter sounds a little different, but maybe it's just me?
I feel as if the entire audio mixing has changed, all engine sounds seem a little muddy now? Could just be me or my settings if no one else thinks the audio has changed. Still sounds great all the same.
No I agree. Sometimes it sounds like the clutch is slipping a bit when changing gears in the M3 now.
TanHammer said:
bogani said:
dwkGravey said:
I also notice something with the revs, i would say its most wierd on the mk2 ford were a 25% press on the gaspedal (using the t500rs) sends it in to the red.

Archived