Jump to content Jump to content

Autumn?

gheeD

This is what I've gathered from this thread... 

'Not a WRC game; still brings up NORF as an argument for some leaves.' 

Did I do good? 
In all seriousness, this is a very, very harsh criticism, especially the manner in which you're stating it. Stop pissing all over hard work just because you hate the Autumn; it isn't my fault that the season touched you in that 'special place' that you don't wanna talk about. 

So yeah, I'd see an issue if this was a WRC licensed game, but it isn't, so there's no issue. Have a nap, or something. 
gheeD said:

Once again Dirt Rally has great potential with its content but falls short of meeting my expectations. Im a huge rally fan, and as a Finn my expectations for a modern rally game were to have a epic ouninpohja like it is in real world. Watching the onboards, actually having been to the rally myself I had high hopes for Flying Finland update, but it fell a bit flat (pardon the pun). The stages drive great, lots of fun and best addition to dirt so far. I was just disappointed at the graphical depiction, looks like they took a shortcut once again with the update and I'm getting pretty annoyed at how codies fail to meet my expectations with what they announce. 

First off, thanks for explaining your position with some class and decorum, unlike the other guy on the first thread.

Secondly, it's not like they've promised NORF or even Ouninpohja, they promised stage kilometres set in Finland. Which is what we've got, unquestionably.

Finally, I do actually see your point and it would be nice if it were that way, but there are some realities to confront. Maybe they have done it to save some pennies orntime, but the reality is that the developers have had to justify to the board spending literally years working on the most life-like creation of these roads there's ever been. If saying " we can reuse some assets that we created before" is what it takes to achieve that, then fair enough in my book.

A hypothetical question for you: would you prefer to have less of the stage (say ~25% fewer metres) in the 'correct' colours or the longer one as it currently is?
Maybe they have done it to save some pennies orntime, but the reality is that the developers have had to justify to the board spending literally years working on the most life-like creation of these roads there's ever been. If saying " we can reuse some assets that we created before" is what it takes to achieve that, then fair enough in my book.
Do you think it's that, or that fall is simply the time they had the opportunity, or could afford, to fly their research team to Finland? Finland looks pretty green in Dirt 3 (filter notwithstanding).
In any case, the takeaway is the same: this all costs money, and Codies' money does not grow on trees (green or autumnal).
It's not just money, there's also manpower.
They can't be everywhere at once and Pikes Peak in particular was a big job.

If people really want to, they could go through the textures for Finland and re-colour them for a more green look as a mod.
It'd be a pretty big job, but not impossible.
gheeD said:
Codies pls... Why? NORF is during the greenest time of finnish summer, and the colour pallette doesnt reflect that. Finland looks really bland and depressing now, not at all what it should be like. Really disappointed at this graphical style for otherwise awesome location. 

I just hope my home country would be represented at its best, when NORF in reality drives here. Not this depressing autumn colours.
  I think you are way too harsh here.  not fair to jump on the Devs this way.  Although I agree with you regarding the fall colours,  its up to them which season they are realasing finland and they never said they release "NORF" right?  So its a bit ambivalent:

- Its Ok if Devs probably did their reasearch visit in this season and like the idea of Autumn
- On the other hand , the fan crowd loves the stages to be recreated in the season they know it from the 1:1 WRC calendar to have authentic feeling ( we probably wouldn't be happy with Summer Monte carlo Stages at +30*C and pure sunshine)

So it's a fine line for the Devs here, but to sum up , Paul and his team did a wounderful job with the Finland stages and Im sure they will make some fine tuning on the colours and Finland will even look more breathtaking. 
Why not get your car and stroll it all the day long throughout the most beautiful "real " greenish Finnish sectors instead of whining about palettes and moods? Quite sentimental of you.

It is just a video game, man. No need to care about representations and credibility, we are not leading political conflicts here.
Ledanek said:
I'm lost.

Is  Ouninpojha the same as Kakaristo?

Which stage is  Ouninpojha?
Ouninpohja is the whole 33,11 km stage. And in Dirt Rally they broke it into two stages (Kontinjärvi and Kakaristo). Kontinjärvi could be named Ouninpohja because it goes through it. There's an end of a lake which is called Ouninpohja and the road on that section is named Ouninpohjantie. Kakaristo is just the former part of the whole stage and includes the famous Kakaristo intersection. Maybe this cleared it for you :)

bogani said:
Wow. Wrong colors in Finland and all of a sudden the game falls short in every aspect and is half arsed? Finns really take their Ouninpohja seriously.

Yeah we do ;) Its the legendary Ouninpohja! I'm just glad its in the game even though its not completely 1:1 true to life. We would need some sort of photographic scanning and laser scanning to make it happen :)
Ledanek said:
I'm lost.

Kakaristo is half of Ouninpohja. The other half is called Kontinjarvi I believe - and then there's their backwards counterparts.
Reiska98 said:
Ledanek said:
I'm lost.

Ouninpohja is the whole 33,11 km stage. And in Dirt Rally they broke it into two stages (Kontinjärvi and Kakaristo). Kontinjärvi could be named Ouninpohja because it goes through it. There's an end of a lake which is called Ouninpohja and the road on that section is named Ouninpohjantie. Kakaristo is just the former part of the whole stage and includes the famous Kakaristo intersection. Maybe this cleared it for you :)
thanks gents.

Man you guys must really love summer! I get that it's "authentic" but I don't think authenticity is too important when it comes to seasons if the tracks and handling are the same. I also don't think the argument of "why don't they just make monte carlo summer then" holds because that would clearly completely change how to drive the course.

I think I prefer the different feel of Finland from the other locations (created by making brown trees), and I don't think it's fair to call Codemasters lazy for reusing trees and such when they pump out a major update every month WITH significant changes to handling.

Maybe Autumn doesn't bring the same dread to me as I'm from Australia, but taking some artistic license with which season to use is defs fine by me.
Makikou said:
Actually it would be better that it wouldn't have been made at all because i'd rather have a somewhat authentic experience instead of fantasy.
Oh so that road is only there during summer months, and disappears again??
+1 dude, one of the most asinine comments I've ever seen.  We just got the best stage in the world, in a rally sim we never thought was coming, modeled more realistically more than ever before, and you're writing it off like nothing cause some of the leaves are brown? 

Wow.  Grow up man.
Reiska98 said:
Kakkela said:
Good job with the video Reiska98, high quality video as is expected from you!
Thanks a lot! Now I uploaded the first part of Ouninpohja. I got lost on stage on the later part of the video :smiley: 
Take a look: https://youtu.be/X3XacrJqjDY
Nice!
I got some problems comparing that same part with official recce video 
Man you guys must really love summer! I get that it's "authentic" but I don't think authenticity is too important when it comes to seasons if the tracks and handling are the same. I also don't think the argument of "why don't they just make monte carlo summer then" holds because that would clearly completely change how to drive the course.

I think I prefer the different feel of Finland from the other locations (created by making brown trees), and I don't think it's fair to call Codemasters lazy for reusing trees and such when they pump out a major update every month WITH significant changes to handling.

Maybe Autumn doesn't bring the same dread to me as I'm from Australia, but taking some artistic license with which season to use is defs fine by me.
I'd rather pay more and wait more if that would give us better stages and handling. You don't hear me complaining that AC developers are taking forever with new content and features or that iRacing.com's tracks are too expensive.
There is market for simulators and I hoped this game would have filled rallying hole in it, but to really be simulator everything needs to be spot on with dynamics and now as our dynamics are bit lacking having true to real life stages would have compensated some of that.
Kakkela said:
There is market for simulators and I hoped this game would have filled rallying hole in it, but to really be simulator everything needs to be spot on with dynamics and now as our dynamics are bit lacking having true to real life stages would have compensated some of that.
Do you really consider the leaves on the trees being brown instead of green constituting to the stages not being true to life? It's not like there are no jumps and the road is lined with baobab trees!
Kakkela said:
Do you really consider the leaves on the trees being brown instead of green constituting to the stages not being true to life? It's not like there are no jumps and the road is lined with baobab trees!
If you watch Reiska98's videos or that recce video I linked you see there are differences in lines too. And in some places it feels like straights are bit shorter so you jump right on top of next jump. Someone mentioned in feedback thread that it feels like Ouninpohja on steroids, jumps are higher etc.

Archived