Jump to content Jump to content

Autumn?

gheeD

Kakkela said:
Kakkela said:
There is market for simulators and I hoped this game would have filled rallying hole in it, but to really be simulator everything needs to be spot on with dynamics and now as our dynamics are bit lacking having true to real life stages would have compensated some of that.
Do you really consider the leaves on the trees being brown instead of green constituting to the stages not being true to life? It's not like there are no jumps and the road is lined with baobab trees!
If you watch Reiska98's videos or that recce video I linked you see there are differences in lines too. And in some places it feels like straights are bit shorter so you jump right on top of next jump. Someone mentioned in feedback thread that it feels like Ouninpohja on steroids, jumps are higher etc.
Well, you do realize they can't laserscan rally stages as they can with racing circuits. Maybe they can, but the cost would kill the company instantly.

Are you one of those that think everything is perfect in RBR? Or in AC or iRacing for that matter?
bogani said:
Kakkela said:
Kakkela said:
There is market for simulators and I hoped this game would have filled rallying hole in it, but to really be simulator everything needs to be spot on with dynamics and now as our dynamics are bit lacking having true to real life stages would have compensated some of that.
Do you really consider the leaves on the trees being brown instead of green constituting to the stages not being true to life? It's not like there are no jumps and the road is lined with baobab trees!
If you watch Reiska98's videos or that recce video I linked you see there are differences in lines too. And in some places it feels like straights are bit shorter so you jump right on top of next jump. Someone mentioned in feedback thread that it feels like Ouninpohja on steroids, jumps are higher etc.
Well, you do realize they can't laserscan rally stages as they can with racing circuits. Maybe they can, but the cost would kill the company instantly.

Are you one of those that think everything is perfect in RBR? Or in AC or iRacing for that matter?
Of course not, RBR is shit and every sim has it's downs and ups.
Kakkela said:
bogani said:
Kakkela said:
Kakkela said:

Of course not, RBR is shit and every sim has it's downs and ups.
Just checking ;)
And to add, laser scanning isn't only way to achieve accurate enough lines and elevation changes. There have been a lot of modded tracks in different games with just GPS track and maps. 

There's someone doing Ouninpohja for Assetto Corsa and he's using LIDAR data from National Land Survey of Finland as a baseline and then handcrafts cambers and ditches.
I understand the points that the actual stage might not be 100% accurate, but the fact that it's Autumn is basically irrelevant.

But even so, you can still just enjoy the stages with it not being totally accurate, because it is bloody good fun!
A rally stage in a game like this can never be 100% accurate. I'm sure the wales stages differs quite alot from the real deal as well, we just don't hear people whine about it.
bogani said:
I understand the points that the actual stage might not be 100% accurate, but the fact that it's Autumn is basically irrelevant.

But even so, you can still just enjoy the stages with it not being totally accurate, because it is bloody good fun!
A rally stage in a game like this can never be 100% accurate. I'm sure the wales stages differs quite alot from the real deal as well, we just don't hear people whine about it.
It's shame everybody from near Wales, Greece, Monte or Germany have been so quiet. 
And to "game like this" comment, i think that's what causes these arguments, some of us expected more as DiRT was supposed to cater to simrallyist needs too. It's good game but it could be so much more as simulator.
enamel said:
The pedantry and entitlement of gamers can be absolutely breathtaking at times. This is one of those times.
We are not that stupid, he's an exception more than anything else

bogani said:

It's impossible to get these stage 100% accurate because they will always change depending on some factors between the years.

To make it perfectly accurate, they would had to scan before and after the rally each year to see exactly how the track change.....not very cost effective

Kakkela said:
bogani said:

It's shame everybody from near Wales, Greece, Monte or Germany have been so quiet. 
And to "game like this" comment, i think that's what causes these arguments, some of us expected more as DiRT was supposed to cater to simrallyist needs too. It's good game but it could be so much more as simulator.
I'm not from Wales, but I seem to spend most of my life there! Anyway, although it might not be 100% accurate in terms of recreation, what is very close to 100% accurate in Wales is the feeling of driving it. I've only ever sat in the passenger seat of a 1.4 litre, but driving the 60's and the kit cars around Wales feels so good! Which is why I don't care if bits I recognise aren't quite right
Reiska98 said:
Ledanek said:
I'm lost.

Is  Ouninpojha the same as Kakaristo?

Which stage is  Ouninpojha?
Ouninpohja is the whole 33,11 km stage. And in Dirt Rally they broke it into two stages (Kontinjärvi and Kakaristo). Kontinjärvi could be named Ouninpohja because it goes through it. There's an end of a lake which is called Ouninpohja and the road on that section is named Ouninpohjantie. Kakaristo is just the former part of the whole stage and includes the famous Kakaristo intersection. Maybe this cleared it for you :)

Thank you for this clear explanation !!!!!
ΙI dont know about other locations but i can only say about Greece (Acropolis rally is very close to where i live in Athens) and i have to say that is the best Acropolis rally ever in a game i dont speak for shape of stages but for the atmosphere and the general feeling..
ΙI dont know about other locations but i can only same about Greece (Acropolis rally is very close to where i live in Athens) and i have to say that is the best Acropolis rally ever in a game i dont speak for shape of stages but for the atmosphere and the general feeling..
Ditto, word for word, with Wales.
Good to hear about other locations.
It's just Ouninpohja doesen't feel/look the same (colors aren't even issue anymore, i have gotten quite used to them already), jumps are on steroids, width is off in few places and some corners are totally different, for example that left hairpin on first half is totally flat, in real life its donwhill to intersection with ditch on the inside and little bit of camber. 
Kakkela said:
bogani said:

Rallycameraman is very familiar with the Wales stages saying as they are often part of his job and does have some personal gripes about them that do bother him somewhat.
He just doesn't think they are big enough problems to throw his toys out of the pram about, and that's with him having the ear of the devs and having been to Codemasters to trial the game before Early Access even began.

And here we are, getting incredibly upset about what season is depicted in Finland.

Perspective, that's all.
mefabz said:
Reiska98 said:
Ledanek said:
I'm lost.

Is  Ouninpojha the same as Kakaristo?

Which stage is  Ouninpojha?
Ouninpohja is the whole 33,11 km stage. And in Dirt Rally they broke it into two stages (Kontinjärvi and Kakaristo). Kontinjärvi could be named Ouninpohja because it goes through it. There's an end of a lake which is called Ouninpohja and the road on that section is named Ouninpohjantie. Kakaristo is just the former part of the whole stage and includes the famous Kakaristo intersection. Maybe this cleared it for you :)

Thank you for this clear explanation !!!!!
No problem :smile: And someone said that Kontinjärvi should be Köntinjärvi. Its a big difference in the Finnish language :smiley: but I don't mind.
RookieOne said:
bogani said:

It's impossible to get these stage 100% accurate because they will always change depending on some factors between the years.

To make it perfectly accurate, they would had to scan before and after the rally each year to see exactly how the track change.....not very cost effective
Uh, why doesn't Codemasters just fully model ongoing sheet erosion and aeolian ablation of the road surfaces, and also changing global surface temperatures and weather patterns? Then we could change the time and I could ice-race in Wales during the Devensian glaciation. What kind of half-assed quote-unquote "simulator" are they making?

dwkGravey said:
RookieOne said:
bogani said:

Uh, why doesn't Codemasters just fully model ongoing sheet erosion and aeolian ablation of the road surfaces, and also changing global surface temperatures and weather patterns? Then we could change the time and I could ice-race in Wales during the Devensian glaciation. What kind of half-assed quote-unquote "simulator" are they making?

I that point, i'm not sure if you are trolling, joking or are serious.
Bryskye said:
Rallycameraman is very familiar with the Wales stages saying as they are often part of his job and does have some personal gripes about them that do bother him somewhat.
He just doesn't think they are big enough problems to throw his toys out of the pram about, and that's with him having the ear of the devs and having been to Codemasters to trial the game before Early Access even began.And here we are, getting incredibly upset about what season is depicted in Finland. Perspective, that's all.
I'm in the same boat, being one of the people rallycameraman is filming on his weekends and having also visited codies twice before release ;)
I don't get why you get so angry when we give feedback that something doesn't feel right. Every other event is set in correct time of the year matching WRC schedule. But Finland isn't. And Ouninpohja is only driven in summer. So it's a proper question and constructive feedback that we feel a bit let down now. The stages are great, no problems with those. I don't mind the minor differences to real life. But I really can't get the feeling of driving the stages for real, because they are newer driven in autumn. Now you can of course think this is a little issue, but I've watched the rally on location over 25 years. To me there's no autumn Ouninpohja. There's only summer Ouninpohja with the vibrant green colors. 

You don't need to fly over to Finland to get the colors right, internet is full of photos of summer time Finland. I wish the designers could look into this (maybe after v1.0 has been released) and tune it towards summer.

We all appreciate the hard work Codemasters have done, no arguing in that. There are just things that are still missing and then seeing your home rally being set to a wrong time of the year doesn't really help. Things like browsable leaderboards, possibility to race against a set time, full mouse support (now you can't start a custom race with mouse as there's no "ok"-button), the huge difference currently with v1 and v2 physics until all cars are fixed, possibility to save replays etc.

Peace out and keep the discussion on a constructive level :)
Good post @cheets - I don't think anyone minds there being a discussion about it, it's posts such as the third one in the thread that effectively say people are wrong for having different opinions that wind everyone up. Constructive posts such as yours are more than welcome.
There's a difference between constructive feedback and ranting. The first page in this topic had a lot of ranting.

Some people here also know the developers on a more personal level, so when they are attacked or accused of "half-assing" things, it should hardly be surprising they feel they should speak up to defend them, especially against people that are usually ignorant of games design.

Finland is what it is. A different time of year and that's that. Some might see it as a plus that Finland in DiRT Rally isn't the same as Finland in every other rally game.
If it really bothers people so much, I personally think their time might be better spent modding the files.
It would have been nice to see Finland stages in more overall greenish hue i admit. Finland doesn't have very long summer and i guess that is one reason why it feels important and "special" time of year for us.

Game represents what you have here now, and in a way it is understadable if Devs made research trip in autumn and D:R is not trying to simulate WRC calendar, but i can't help to wonder if other Events are in correct time of year, why Finland couldn't be too. 

When i first played Finnish stages i admit i thought that one reason for autumn trees mixed in there is re-using assets from older game, but i think its understandable being an early access game (and i think i read somewhere it is a normal thing in gaming business). I personally don't now devs like some of you do, but it makes me wonder if they wanted to test this Autumn idea see how it is recieved? There might still be time to change those colors after If the Devs choose to do so.

I think also its only fair and necessary that people should be entitled to their opionions and constructive ideas (ranting of course doesnt help any one) because ain't that what devs wanted from the community with this title.

It is up to devs what they want to do with their merchandise. People need to tell their opinions so devs have something where to choose from. Biggest rants about Finland seems to be about
-Summer turned to autumn
-Jumps too big / not similar flow to real stage because of jumps being exaggerated 
-Some iconic places not looking right.
and couple more

It is not a lot really. Important to things to some of us still, but at the same time some are really happy with those aspects.

I think they made quite good job with most of the stage when i compared sections with this years WRC onboards.

Didn't Paul said in that recent Flying Finland live feed that they are going to polish the game after Winter Wonderland anyways. If they want to change things it will be propably then.

in summary: I think there needs to be discussion even about minute details like this and not just to think it is what it is, because this game only gets better if we give feedback.

In the end i want to thank you CM for great game, for ability to listen your community and bleeding your soul into it, it shows :smiley: Thank you!

BrySkye said:
Some people here also know the developers on a more personal level, so when they are attacked or accused of "half-assing" things, it should hardly be surprising they feel they should speak up to defend them, especially against people that are usually ignorant of games design.
Just to clarify, I'm fully confident that Codemasters are using their whole asses.

Archived