Sign in to follow this  

No blurred cockpit mod with WORKING mirrors (PC) (Codemasters please fix this !!!!)

I asked a friend to send me the cameras.xml file to see if we can do something about the blurred cockpit views.

I only have the file of the BMW 320i, but here are the results after editing this file: 

Before:

After:

Codemaster please make this an optional setting in the graphical menu's 

Does the readout even change? I would find it a distraction unless it actually had useful information

It's the year 2014.  In this day and age, all AAA racing titles should include detailed interior views.  Regardless of what Codemasters might tell us, it's my opinion it's not a design decision.  It's a budget and time constraint decision.  Codemasters' very own Toca 2 Touring Car on PC had a clear, by 1998 standards, usable dashboard and mirrors.  Even EA's Real Racing 3 on my iPad Air has detailed cockpits.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_i0R9FqiZ4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKjFzOLQloE

Games should evolve, not go backwards

Here are two more screenshots. The blur gets worse at higher speeds

Original:

Modded:

What i just can't believe that for the PC there is a high texture pack and look at that mirror in the orginal headcam.

It just HURTS my eyes

MaXKiLLz said:
It's the year 2014.  In this day and age, all AAA racing titles should include detailed interior views.  Regardless of what Codemasters might tell us, it's my opinion it's not a design decision.  It's a budget and time constraint decision.
At this point, I'd guess it's more of a technology decision. The last-gen Ego engine has reached its limit; some reviews are already pointing out the GAS frame rate is considerably lower than Grid 2's on the same PC hardware, and slows to a comparative crawl at (for example) some parts of Yas Marina. 

The fact that Grid 2 modders could only implement a cockpit view not unlike GAS's makes me think that's really all it can handle at this point without bringing the game to its knees.

cockpit view "reintroduced" just as view.... you cannot call cockpit this thing, at 2014 for a 50eur game.
A interior like that is okay from some indie brand games for 3.50eur.

lets see with patch what happen... for me is not a day one, is a good deal after 2-3 patches with minor and major bugs and quality fixed.
... and with a substantial pricing drop...

Aw can't wait to see a fine cockpit-mod that removes the blur - I hope it won't take too long. Surely Codemasters won't do it, but I'd rather have an undetailed cockpitview than a blurred one. it's annoying.

As long there is a way to play the game without blurred cockpits, I am fine. Blurred cockpits are pretty much pointless to me anyway. Just thinking about Need for Speed Shift - the added high detailed cockpits, but most of the time they are blurred anyway . so why adding a cockpit nayway at all? Yeah, sure, marketing - and there will be people that like blurred cockpits, but when I drive in reality with a car very fast, my cockpit doesn't get blurred. It feels like watching on screen, seeing 50% nonsense.

Well at the end of the day I will mainly keep playing Dirt 2, Dirt 3 and Grid anyway. Just a matter of time until Codies return with a nice title :).

Don't think that the engine has reached it's limit, why else release a high texture pack?

F1 2013 uses the same engine, with high detailed cockpits AND mirrors.

I think the previous gen console could not handle the car interiours and CM did not want to make the difference between PC and consoles too high.

Or maybe they just took the VERY easy way.  ( I will post proof of this later)

I still can't believe that after the feedback from the community on Grid 2 about the cockpits, they decided for this solution.
Very low detailed, let make it blurred so nobody can see it.

I would like to see the "brilliant" lead designer who signed off on this, defend his decision here on these forums.

Here you can download the cockpit mod that removes all blur : 
http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/cockpit-cam-no-blur.89248/#post-1755875

This shoudl be a option in the graphic menu from the start

It's a real shame because actual cockpits (even without working dashes) with decent mirrors would take this game to a whole new level on the PC.

It would be wishfull thinking that we will see working dashes in all cars in Grid Autosport, but they could at lease fix the mirrrors and release an detailed interior texture pack for the PC and offcourse remove the blur

This game will never be like a PCARS / Asetto Corsa or Forza 5, but i like the semi arcade gameplay.

Like said before:  Make it DLC and i would pay for it.

I rather like it they patch it for free though

LOL :)   Agree with all the sentiments but Truly ..... DO NOT HOLD YOUR BREATHE !!!!

You will surely die waiting :D 
12 months from now :  Grid Autosport 2

" we have listened to feedback of the community................................"  

LOL

Not to be a dick, but if you guys love cockpit view so much why do you insist on playing arcade games where that view point is of such low priority to the developers?

RobertKNL said:
Because this game is Simcade. You can play this game very seriously, without having to practice for hours. You can easily pick it up, but still have to be serious while playing it (unlike a true arcade game, like Dirt Showdown or Need for Speed). So you'll need a cockpit view to help with that experience
Fair enough.

andmcq said:
Not to be a dick, but if you guys love cockpit view so much why do you insist on playing arcade games where that view point is of such low priority to the developers?

Like RobertKNL said : It's simcade. I have all the serious sims (with MUCH better cockpits), but the codemasters games are still the most fun to play.

I know my setup is very different to most peoples but I actually like the new zoomed in cockpit view. It is about the perfect FOV for my rig. Before I would have to spend ages editting camera XML files. Now I just put it in zoomed cockpit and she is all good.

I am not worried about the in-game gauges not working because I use external gauges anyway.

This is my view with in the Formula C

The easy answer is of course,  GRID .... that game is so old now but had very nice cockpit view which was a whole lot of fun ... also I still love and play Dirt 2 and 3 , both have awesome cockpits which look stunning in 3D Vision on my Asus VG278H 120hz monitor.

Sure they are arcade like but the sense of immersion and fun had from being there in the cockpit AND in 3D is pure eye popping sweet candy and leaves me grinning like a Cheshire Cat !!!  LOL :D

RobertKNL said:
Dude....that must be one of the most epic setups I've ever seen (a screenshot of). Could you specify what I'm seeing (like those switching alongside the wheel and all the gauges, or where you buy your hardware? That stuff is.... epic! D:
Sure thing.

I mostly use the switches along the side for other games which use more buttons, like on my right side the 2 missile switches are my ignition and pit limiter, the big glowing button is my starter, the rotary encoders are all my wing, brake and roll bar adjustments. On the other side are all my seat adjustments etc.

The gauges are ran with 2 Symprojects boards as well as the 2 screens under the tacho and speedo. The center dash is a Sim Instruments dash. It shows things like best laptime, current laptime, lap delta, position and lap number. the screen on the right shows my pedal data etc and the one of the left is general laps and engine info.

I also have a hydraulic handbrake and sequential shifter on the right and a H-Shifter and DIY handbrake on the left.

I also have 8 bass shakers and a motion seat. I have quite a lot of videos over in the Dirt section but here is one of them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXwFIOyk7HE

RobertKNL said:
Avenga76 said:
I know my setup is very different to most peoples but I actually like the new zoomed in cockpit view. It is about the perfect FOV for my rig. Before I would have to spend ages editting camera XML files. Now I just put it in zoomed cockpit and she is all good.

I am not worried about the in-game gauges not working because I use external gauges anyway.

Dude....that must be one of the most epic setups I've ever seen (a screenshot of). Could you specify what I'm seeing (like those switching alongside the wheel and all the gauges, or where you buy your hardware? That stuff is.... epic! D:
indeed it all looks very cool if I wasn't disabled then maybe I'd look at putting a rig like this together but seeing as I don't have the room or money to do this as I do play other games too I'll make do with the keyboard.

RobertKNL said:
Looks great. I also saw one of your ETS2 vids, using more of the switches. I notice you don't use the clutch in the Dirt video. I'm not the world greatest rally fan, so is that because you don't have to, or because the gears go so fast it's hard to keep that up?
Yeah in Euro Truck I use a lot of switches. They are just about to bring out an adjustable cruise control so I will bind that to a rotary encoder, that was I can fine tune my speed.

With a sequential shifter in a rally car you don't use a clutch. They usually use dog boxes with a throttle cut on the up shift and an auto blip on the down shift. If you watch pedal cams from WRC etc you will see they use the same technique I use, left foot brake with no clutch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGk1p3-3kgY

indeed it all looks very cool if I wasn't disabled then maybe I'd look at putting a rig like this together but seeing as I don't have the room or money to do this as I do play other games too I'll make do with the keyboard.
I have my rig on furniture sliders so I can just slide it out of the way when I am not racing, but it was expensive building my rig and it does take up a lot of space.

Avenga76 said:

That's gotta be the most hardcore setup I've ever seen. Wish I had the space for that! (and the eyesight, I'd need at least 32" screens for that setup because my eyesight's so sucky.)