Sign in to follow this  

Hey everyone! What was your first racing game?

Shinny said:
Loore said:
yeah that wsa one of my first too Nigel Mansell was my absolute first then came the Geoff Crammond series
I still have my disk laying around somewhere. I tried playing it recently on windows 7 for giggles and couldn't get it to work with sound or keep it from crashing. I was always wowed by the spectator ability as a kid.
so do I I think don't tend to play it so much these days but I think I still have them. Have you tried Dos box as that's good for getting old fashioned programs to work I can get most of my older software to work through that.

First one I ever played: Sprint 2 at Butlin’s in about 1980.

First one I owned: 3D Grand Prix (dk’Tronics) on ZX81.

First racing games I played on subsequent computers I owned:

- Spectrum: Chequered Flag (Psion)
- Amiga: May not have been Microprose Grand Prix, but that’s certainly the only one I remember.
 -PC: Grand Prix 3 (Microrprose)
- Xbox 360: F1 2011

first racer that took too was grand turismo, still the bar sadly

This one on GAMEBOY i was 10years old!
then F1 1995 and GRAN TURISMO on PS1

THE AWESOME and Legendary TOCA 2

why can't we have a serious WORLD TOURING CAR GAME on License? not just wtcc but all the touring car disciplines over the world!!!

Not sure. Possibly between Nigel Mansell's Grand Prix and Codemasters own Grand Prix Simulator on my Spectrum. In the arcade possibly Sprint and Super Sprint with those big steering wheels, games which Grand Prix Simulator was very similar too.

Maybe showing my age but this was the nuts at the time, inside the garage there were 2 spinning foam wheels which would push your cars along the track. Round and round till the batterys died lol.

Loggy said:
 Maybe showing my age but this was the nuts at the time, inside the garage there were 2 spinning foam wheels which would push your cars along the track. Round and round till the batterys died lol.

I put many of the old Union Carbide batteries into the landfill with this type of set too! Then we started with slot cars. AF/X, Tyco, etc. I still have a rather large slot car setup in the basement. That we race regular in the winter. But as far as video games. I cannot remember all of them. But I know it seems like just about all of them that folks mentioned here I have played. 

Some of my all time favorite arcade games were, Demoltion Derby, Super Off-Road & Moto GP. I always thought Moto GP was cool because they put the speaker for the bike in the tailpipe! I was never that good at it though. But the other 2 I was fairly good.

As far as home stuff I played just about anything and everything. Cool Thread!

Phil88TC said:
This one on GAMEBOY i was 10years old!
then F1 1995 and GRAN TURISMO on PS1

THE AWESOME and Legendary TOCA 2

why can't we have a serious WORLD TOURING CAR GAME on License? not just wtcc but all the touring car disciplines over the world!!!
It would cost companies too much to pay for to vover any expenses plus each different one would have to be licensed. Different companies own different licenses anyway so this would be next to impossible to do anyway. Your best bet if ou like Touring cars that much would be to buy race 07 or something as I think that has the WTCC licensed to it.

Bob422 said:
Pole Position in the arcade around 1980 or '81 and on my Atari 2600 just a bit later.
Yeah that is one of the first racing games I remember that I played.

Loggy said:

I put many of the old Union Carbide batteries into the landfill with this type of set too! Then we started with slot cars. AF/X, Tyco, etc. I still have a rather large slot car setup in the basement. That we race regular in the winter. But as far as video games. I cannot remember all of them. But I know it seems like just about all of them that folks mentioned here I have played. 

Some of my all time favorite arcade games were, Demoltion Derby, Super Off-Road & Moto GP. I always thought Moto GP was cool because they put the speaker for the bike in the tailpipe! I was never that good at it though. But the other 2 I was fairly good.

As far as home stuff I played just about anything and everything. Cool Thread!
Hot wheels the name of my Grid 1 team :p Use the same name on my NFS Carbon game too when playing that.

Pitstop II on a PC back in the 80's. But my first "real" racing game was Indianapolis 500 by Papyrus (released in 1989). I remember it rained a lot in the summer of 1990 or 1991. I was a kid back then and I spent those rainy days trying to beat that 200-lap race... To this day every time it's dark and rainy day I remember Indy 500...lol
I think mine was Pitstop2 as well, on C64. Had tyre wear and everything.