Sign in to follow this  

Hey everyone! What was your first racing game?

I know I'm showing my age when I say my arcade racing experience goes all the way back to Atari Night Driver (1976) in the arcade.

At home it started with Pole Position (1983) on my Atari 800.  I believe my PC sim experience started with Papyrus Indycar (1993).

Two of my favorite real arcade machines were Daytona USA (1994) and Sega Rally Championship (1995).  It's when I got my first taste of force feedback.  Spent countless quarters on those two.  Sega F355 Challenge (1999) was my first exposure to triple screen simcade racing.

At home, the Gran Turismo (1997) series on PS1 and PS2 is when racing started feeling realistic.  

I've played so many racing games in both arcades and home.  How about you?  Tell us what arcade and sim racing titles you started with. 

I think it was a Nigel Mansell game for me on either the old Amstrad CPC464 or Amiga don't remember which one but I do remember it was to celebrate his World Championship win good fun game though.

This most either be Need for Speed High Stakes or A2 Racer II (both from 1998), can't remember which one I got first. First Codemasters game we played at home was DTM Race Driver 3, my first own Codemasters game was DiRT 2, which got me hooked to, well all games in my signature...

One of my first racing games were pitstop 2 on the good old commodore 64. Later Buggy boy on the Amiga and Grandprix circuit from I believe Geoff Crammond.

I remember going to the arcades when there were only pinball and skee ball machines, I've probably played most of the arcade racers and had a racing game on my Apple IIc that consisted only of a black screen and white pylons.

My exact start is kinda fuzzy I know it was on the genisis. There was some Indy car game like the arcades had. Also road rash and rat bikers from mars. I remember having a lot of fun with some top down F1 game on the SNES that had pit stops and qualifying. First sim racers were Nascar 99 and GP2 for PC. Though San Francisco Rush was the first game I really started using the brakes and racing lines. Then I put countless hours into NFS:high stakes which is still one of my favorites of all time. Most of my variety came on PS2 and 360. I did end up sinking over $150 into the initial D stage 4 arcade machines with some friends. The arcade closed down when I was on the last course. I still have that save card in my wallet in case I find another machine. Video games definitely help with the racing irl. First event when I was 16 some of the regulars pulled my parents aside and told them to support me in racing if it was what I wanted to do. I guess they could see through the body roll of that civic sedan. 6 full years of on and off road racing and I still play the games everyday sim or arcade it keeps your mind focused on what to look for when you're doing the real deal.

I wouldn't be worried about age in here, there's some right old farts lurking in the shadows ;)

I can't work them out in chronological order but here's a few of mine that I can remember...

Amiga 500

Supercars 2
Stunt Car Racer
Some F1 game that I can't remember

SNES

F-Zero
Mario kart

Sega Saturn

Sega Rally (loved this game and played it to death.  Only reason I got the Saturn)

Playstation

Gran Turismo 1

PC

NFS 1
CM Rally 1
Grid
Shift 2
F1 2010
NFS Hot Pursuit...
Grid 2
All the Dirt games
Race 07
Race On
STCC The Game
rFactor
Assetto Corsa
Grid Autosport

Pitstop II on a PC back in the 80's. But my first "real" racing game was Indianapolis 500 by Papyrus (released in 1989). I remember it rained a lot in the summer of 1990 or 1991. I was a kid back then and I spent those rainy days trying to beat that 200-lap race... To this day every time it's dark and rainy day I remember Indy 500...lol

First racing game I can remember playing was Lotus Turbo Challenge on the Amiga!

pretty sure it was pole position in the arcades and on the atari 2600, i remember playing outrun alot in the arcades too. not really a racing game but i played the crap out of spyhunter on the commodore 64 back in the day too.

There was some top-down side-scrolling F1-car racer on the Atari 2600, which technically was the first game I played though I can't remember the name.

The first ones I do remember was I had OutRun on the Amstrad CPC (technically my first home computer!). Going on from that I had Super Hang On! And Lotus Turbo Challenge on the Sega Mega Drive (I got Lotus R.E.C.S. as well but never finished it, it's a long game booo.) I had an F1 game on SNES too. I think it was called Exhaust Heat or something. There was another one that used a first-person view that I never really got good at.

In terms of arcade games ... ridge racer.  I played so many variants of the ridger racer (and ridge racer 2) arcade cabinet that I could tell just from watching other people play as to how the operators had rigged the cabinets (vibrating wheels on straights, quietly lowering throttle when cornering, random drops of power to mess up powerslides, very, very VERY unfair checkpoint time rewards (( trust me I've played on MAME the debug menu/settings for checkpoints can be bloody evil )).

Following ridge racer - daytona USA.

Ridge Racer was the first Playstation game I played, followed by Destruction Derby 1 and Wipeout 1.

How times have changed since then. :)

Pole Position in the arcade around 1980 or '81 and on my Atari 2600 just a bit later.

yeah pole  position at the ol fairground here also
first racer at home woulda been chequered flag on the spectrum...bout 1983

Goonertez said:
Didn't think anyone else on here would remember chequered flag. My first race game. I even upgraded the spectrum from 16k to 48k to play it.

Interesting to see what 48k would buy you in Grid AS. Probably a wheel on one  of the cars. 

Those were the days when men were men. Etc.

Another old lurker here - I started on the spectrum, so first racing games were:
Nigel Mansell Grand Grix
Full Throttle (bikes - but racing round Silverstone if I remember right)
and even Codemasters "BMX Simulator" :)

Also spent hours on the spectrum "Formula One" game which was a team management simulator rather than an actual racing game - great fun waiting for your team cars to zip past the start/finish line every now and then with a farting noise!

dirt3joe said:
Goonertez said:
Didn't think anyone else on here would remember chequered flag. My first race game. I even upgraded the spectrum from 16k to 48k to play it.

Interesting to see what 48k would buy you in Grid AS. Probably a wheel on one  of the cars. 

Those were the days when men were men. Etc.
hey..ya should check it out on you-tube if ya havent already.
I swear the game looked better than that back then lol.

I jus remembered another racer i used to play a little later on the amiga...'no second prize'

This time tho the racing vehicles had 2 wheels instead of 4...but the 3-D....ohhhh the 3-D was just awesome!

Loore said:
yeah that wsa one of my first too Nigel Mansell was my absolute first then came the Geoff Crammond series
I still have my disk laying around somewhere. I tried playing it recently on windows 7 for giggles and couldn't get it to work with sound or keep it from crashing. I was always wowed by the spectator ability as a kid.