Jump to content Jump to content

Use engineer to find perfect setups

That would be helpful, motogp 2020 had this (haven't tried 2021 yet) and it made learning how to do setups a lot easier seeing what gets changed and what doesn't when you tell your engineer what issues you are having

• Agree 2

Yeah, Project Cars 2 had something like this where you would choose an option to look at (not enough speed on the straights, not turning into corners etc.) and the game /'engineer' would offer options to change to help with that specific issue. 

The more you got comfortable with making your own adjustments the less it was used but it was good for new players for sure, F1 could do with something like that. 

• Agree 2

The bizarre thing is before codemasters.  There was a f1 game released around time ps3 was

called f1 championship edition.  And it had a set up program you would run in practice where assistance off engineer helped direct you into finding best individual settings.  First you would do suspension then camber, tyres etc.

and with all these games that claim to be real sims.

its a game years old made by a unknown small British developer.  That has had the best setup assistant.  

• Like 2

I'd certainly be interested if the game had some sort of mode or feature to help teach players how to understand and improve setups.

I'll be honest I've parked getting to grips with setups in the 'I can't be bothered with this for now' category for over a year now and basically rely on setups from YouTube. 

• Agree 1
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Ultra3142 said:

I'd certainly be interested if the game had some sort of mode or feature to help teach players how to understand and improve setups.

I'll be honest I've parked getting to grips with setups in the 'I can't be bothered with this for now' category for over a year now and basically rely on setups from YouTube. 

I get them mostly by going into a time trial and copy/test the ones from certain other players which have set the best results nowadays, because I'm finding it to difficult to make changes and feel differences. The default setups are always much slower than the setups I find over there. But it kind of feels like cheating that way.

Edited by Ralph14
  • Like 1
25 minutes ago, Ralph14 said:

I get them mostly by going into a time trial and copy/test the ones from certain other players which have set the best results nowadays, because I'm finding it to difficult to make changes and feel differences. The default setups are always much slower than the setups I find over there. But it kind of feels like cheating that way.

I generally try to find setups more with race setup in mind and than ultimate pace in TT. I may be wrong but my concern with top TT setups is that they may be too 'on edge' for reliably racing without a high risk of spinning, and that tyre wear may be excessive. 

• Agree 2
38 minutes ago, Ultra3142 said:

I generally try to find setups more with race setup in mind and than ultimate pace in TT. I may be wrong but my concern with top TT setups is that they may be too 'on edge' for reliably racing without a high risk of spinning, and that tyre wear may be excessive. 

You are probably right, but it generally works for me that way. An AI engineer helping to get me the best setup each time during a practice session and advicing me on what to change, would be my preference though 🙂

• Like 1
4 hours ago, ScaredDuck said:

Never played wipeout.  I thought the developers were called something with Liverpool in their name.  But I could easily be wrong it was years ago

Was bugging me so I looked it up, Studio Liverpool and Psygnosis are the same company, going under Studio Liverpool when owned by Sony. 

F1 Champsionship Edition / 2006, amazing game, I forgot all about the practice stuff! Very innovative for the time. I played that game to the death of many controllers. 

Edited by KNT2011
  • Agree 1
40 minutes ago, KNT2011 said:

Was bugging me so I looked it up, Studio Liverpool and Psygnosis are the same company, going under Studio Liverpool when owned by Sony. 

F1 Champsionship Edition / 2006, amazing game, I forgot all about the practice stuff! Very innovative for the time. I played that game to the death of many controllers. 

Never played this - how was the practice stuff innovative? Thanks

51 minutes ago, KNT2011 said:

From what I remember it was a great racing game...  play it to death also.  Had good points that more recent sims could adopt 

• 1 month later...