Jump to content

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Team Meeting - Dnote's Notes 01/10/15

Recommended Posts

Hi,

I have some updates from my latest discussions with the development team.

Upcoming Patches

PS4: We submitted a new patch to Sony this morning, they turned it around a lot quicker than we expected, so it is now live in most places (Japan will follow shortly). This adds support for Sony’s new Event feature which came out on Wednesday.

PC: We are currently testing an optimisation patch for PC, centred around specific Intel technologies (that will lead towards DX12 improvements in the future). As our partner for the game, Intel have been working with us on this to help get more out of the game on high-end PCs.

All Formats: We’re continuing to work on bug fixes, but haven’t decided on the dates for the next round of patches yet that focus solely on fixes.

Requested Features

Given our focus on fixing F1 2015, and our commitment to providing another game next year, we’ve had to make some hard decisions on what we can and can’t do when it comes to updating F1 2015.

Safety Car: This is a significant amount of work, which touches on many systems within the game that are active during a race. Implementing it into F1 2015 just isn’t feasible with the time that we have and the risk involved with how much it could break.

Career Mode: This is a complex game mode that would tie into the core elements of the game and would require many months of development time for a large portion of our team, which means we’re not going to be able to add this to F1 2015.

Changing Features

Whilst we’ve investigated the work required to add new features, we also looked into some of the changes that have been requested.

Penalties: Technically, this system is working as intended. It is a complex system that tracks the behaviour of the driver and awards penalties based on the severity and frequency of their misdeeds. In some instances this means that corner cutting on certain circuits isn’t penalised as strictly as you or us would like.

To make it more severe in general would have ramifications beyond our desire, we have a game that appeals to enthusiasts such as those who are reading this, and much more casual players who probably don’t even know the forum exists. What we need is a solution that benefits both groups of players. This isn’t a solution that is possible for F1 2015, but we’re going to do our best to make sure it is there for the next game.

AI Drivers: There are some very detailed and lengthy posts on this forum about the behaviour of the AI drivers. Our AI system was built from the ground up to be the best we’ve ever done in any of our games. It comes at a price though, the AI drivers’ behaviour is built from a massive pool of racing data, which essentially teaches them how to drive around every circuit in the game in as close an approximation of their performance in real life (at the time the work was done). Generating that data, validating that data, then testing scenarios with the AI drivers is a lot of work.

Given our commitment to the next game, we’ve tasked our AI programmers with improving the system and introducing more variables, specifically with the race strategy for the next game. AI though is one instance where we are moving resource off of F1 2015 now, except for critical bug fixes. There have been some issues called out that have been attributed to AI, but might actually be related to other things, like the physics system, which we will continue to look into.

Season Updates

There has been a request to see some updates that have happened over the season since we launched the game.

We’re looking at these, they might be easy, they might be hard, but they do carry with them a need to go to Formula One and the teams for information and approvals, which takes time and may not come out in our favour. But we’ll let you know what happens with this when we have more information.

Multiplayer

We're still working on this and the more information you can provide us on the issues you're experience with online multiplayer, the better. Lozzy has been posting in some of the threads about multiplayer issues, please help him out with providing any information he's asking for so he can get it into the right hands within the dev team.

Thanks,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dnote said:


Penalties: Technically, this system is working as intended. It is a complex system that tracks the behaviour of the driver and awards penalties based on the severity and frequency of their misdeeds. In some instances this means that corner cutting on certain circuits isn’t penalised as strictly as you or us would like.

To make it more severe in general would have ramifications beyond our desire, we have a game that appeals to enthusiasts such as those who are reading this, and much more casual players who probably don’t even know the forum exists. What we need is a solution that benefits both groups of players. This isn’t a solution that is possible for F1 2015, but we’re going to do our best to make sure it is there for the next game.


I appreciate the honesty in the rest of your post because I know its not what a lot of players will want to hear but I'm going to pick holes in this part... Simply when will Codemasters realise that the casual/pro penalty solution already exists in previous games where you can turn the penalties OFF. If your a casual player and dont want to have to deal with a harsh penalty system then you can simply turn it off. There is no excuse for how bad the current system is. Its a free for all and the penalty system in the current state may as well just not exist.

Onto the season updates and personally I'm not asking for much. Just a simple rebalancing of the performance order depending on the circuit would be nice. Not having Kvyat 1.5 seconds slower than Ricciardo on its own would be a start. When the championship mode is so basic it needs something different than the finishing order being;

Merc
Merc
Ferrari
Ferrari
Williams
Williams
Ricciardo

Every race....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
An on/off switch for penalties is on the table for the next game, we're not entirely oblivious to what was done in the previous games, only partially.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
@Dnote Regarding optimization for the PC, will that include making the game look better than it does now? I can't really think of a more polite way of saying it to reflect how strongly I feel about the video quality, but it looks muddy, rushed, unfinished, and potentially developed by an intoxicated specimen of your choosing. The anti-aliasing makes the game look blurred and disgusting, and that's one of the main gripes. 

Also, thank you for updating us on what's going on. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just do settings for casual players and settings for pro player = league drivers.
The penalty system is a joke on every track.
It was always a problem in all the games but in this game its even worse, you can cut every corner.
I started thinking of making a video like that Video for this game to show what the cutting abilities on every track are, but I think its useless, it wont help because you just want to fit the casual players.

Now you say the "Season Updates" are rly hard or not but before the game was released you promised and promoted the game with those Season Updates and where are we now?

We need better Multiplayer stability,
we need a better penalty system,
we could need an implemented league system that you implemented in Dirt Rally(I dont play this game so dont know how this works there) but it would be nice to have a "saveable" league session if you understand what I mean.
And we need many many more that I dont want to write because it isnt the first time we are all talking here in the forums what needs to be improved and so on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
There has been some talk between the DiRT team and the F1 team, I assume that will lead to good things but I don't know exactly what is going on there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On the subject of multiplayer- will you please put online PUBLIC custom lobbies back in. We want our customisation back. Nobody is interested in these preset hopper lobbies. If you were able to patch in .'invite only' please do the same for an online public custom lobby. Your killing the online interest without them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dnote said:

 AI though is one instance where we are moving resource off of F1 2015 now, except for critical bug fixes. There have been some issues called out that have been attributed to AI, but might actually be related to other things, like the physics system, which we will continue to look into.



Can you enlarge on this please.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
my biggest issue is that I'm 20mph quicker on straights when using the 'x' button to accelerate compared to 'R2', but it's uncomfortable using the 'x' and obviously impossible to feather the throttle out of corners. Surely it's a pretty simple thing to fix?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Could you please FINALLY add an realistic damage system (including mechanical failures) to the list for F1 2016?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On the subject of multiplayer- will you please put online PUBLIC custom lobbies back in. We want our customisation back. Nobody is interested in these preset hopper lobbies. If you were able to patch in .'invite only' please do the same for an online public custom lobby. Your killing the online interest without them.
can you @Dnote @Lozzy  @Britpoint update us on what is possible for the 2015 game in terms of multiplayer.

Can you add some kind of lobby/server list, and bring the ready up functionality (that's already in private lobbies into public ones) and bring back the rest of the hoppers. 

The matchmaking system isn't really fit for purpose atm, I am sure everyone would agree with me in saying, it would be much easier to find and get into lobbies if we could see which lobbies are open, how many players are in them and at what stage the session is at and join them manually. Also bringing the ready up functionality into public lobbies will let people have some control over the lobbies being able to fill up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Love this topic; you're basicly saying that any of the coming work will be put in the multiplayer which I like... Keep it up (with all the banter that's been going on, this might sound sarcastic but it really isn't. I frown upon people asking for safety car when there is enough other things to do first...)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tourgott said:
Could you please FINALLY add an realistic damage system (including mechanical failures) to the list for F1 2016?
It annoys me that you said 'an realistic'.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
@Dnote - Firstly, thanks for the update.  We appreciate them when they happen, but want more of them.....  like hugs.

Requested Features that will not happen:  Good.  The game is still broken, so it makes no sense to try and add in additional features like the SC.  Now that has been said, people can stop asking for it to be added to F1 2015 (obviously, they won't).  I'd recommend adding "Season Updates" to requests that also won't be fulfilled.  Just keep fixing what's broken for now.

Intel specific DX12 updates?  Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but that sounds like the least important thing ever right now (yes, mark that statement as hyperbole).  If they're anything like the two Intel specific graphics options that no one but Intel on-board GPU users can access (which is probably 0.01% of PC owners if I'm being generous), that is quite a waste of time don't you think?  If they're something else, they're still not going going to fix all the bugs in the game (or any of the bugs in this game).  It honestly just sounds irresponsible to even mention it.  Kind of like, oh, this guy just got shot!  Never mind that; he's wearing socks with sandals!

Multiplayer:  The game has been out for 3 months, and as far as we can tell, you have made no progress in those 3 months.  You are still asking us to figure it out for you.  That's really disappointing.  Unless you pay me to figure it out in which case it's awesome.... but actually, I already paid you with the expectation that I wouldn't have to figure it out.... this is awkward.

Personally, the next thing I want to talk about isn't one of my top priorities, but I completely understand why it is for some others.  This might sound like one of my weirdest posts ever, but hopefully it makes sense in the end.  Let's play a little game... or imagine a little game.  Let's say the year is 1975 and we're all monkeys.  Actually, let's just go with the 1975 part and forget the monkeys.  We don't need to be monkeys (I just like them).  Video games are in their infancy, and someone makes a 2 dimensional line based graphics game where the goal is to maneuver a rectangle down a twisting path defined by 2 lines.  First of all, take a moment to appreciate that we are here in 2015, and we don't have to deal with graphics like that.  Continuing..... if you get to the end of the path without having your rectangle go fully outside the lines, you win.  If you do go complete outside the lines, you lose.  Boom; there's your flawless corner cutting penalty system.  You could literally have built that in 1975.  Why can't you build it today? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
unknown113 said:
Tourgott said:
Could you please FINALLY add an realistic damage system (including mechanical failures) to the list for F1 2016?
It annoys me that you said 'an realistic'. 
Sorry for not being a native trying to speak your language. Next time I will write in perfect German.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Season updates - you promoted the game with this feature and now you say it's too difficult!?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Thanks about informat
Dnote said:

Hi,

I have some updates from my latest discussions with the development team.

Upcoming Patches

PS4: We submitted a new patch to Sony this morning, they turned it around a lot quicker than we expected, so it is now live in most places (Japan will follow shortly). This adds support for Sony’s new Event feature which came out on Wednesday.

PC: We are currently testing an optimisation patch for PC, centred around specific Intel technologies (that will lead towards DX12 improvements in the future). As our partner for the game, Intel have been working with us on this to help get more out of the game on high-end PCs.

All Formats: We’re continuing to work on bug fixes, but haven’t decided on the dates for the next round of patches yet that focus solely on fixes.

Requested Features

Given our focus on fixing F1 2015, and our commitment to providing another game next year, we’ve had to make some hard decisions on what we can and can’t do when it comes to updating F1 2015.

Safety Car: This is a significant amount of work, which touches on many systems within the game that are active during a race. Implementing it into F1 2015 just isn’t feasible with the time that we have and the risk involved with how much it could break.

Career Mode: This is a complex game mode that would tie into the core elements of the game and would require many months of development time for a large portion of our team, which means we’re not going to be able to add this to F1 2015.

Changing Features

Whilst we’ve investigated the work required to add new features, we also looked into some of the changes that have been requested.

Penalties: Technically, this system is working as intended. It is a complex system that tracks the behaviour of the driver and awards penalties based on the severity and frequency of their misdeeds. In some instances this means that corner cutting on certain circuits isn’t penalised as strictly as you or us would like.

To make it more severe in general would have ramifications beyond our desire, we have a game that appeals to enthusiasts such as those who are reading this, and much more casual players who probably don’t even know the forum exists. What we need is a solution that benefits both groups of players. This isn’t a solution that is possible for F1 2015, but we’re going to do our best to make sure it is there for the next game.

AI Drivers: There are some very detailed and lengthy posts on this forum about the behaviour of the AI drivers. Our AI system was built from the ground up to be the best we’ve ever done in any of our games. It comes at a price though, the AI drivers’ behaviour is built from a massive pool of racing data, which essentially teaches them how to drive around every circuit in the game in as close an approximation of their performance in real life (at the time the work was done). Generating that data, validating that data, then testing scenarios with the AI drivers is a lot of work.

Given our commitment to the next game, we’ve tasked our AI programmers with improving the system and introducing more variables, specifically with the race strategy for the next game. AI though is one instance where we are moving resource off of F1 2015 now, except for critical bug fixes. There have been some issues called out that have been attributed to AI, but might actually be related to other things, like the physics system, which we will continue to look into.

Season Updates

There has been a request to see some updates that have happened over the season since we launched the game.

We’re looking at these, they might be easy, they might be hard, but they do carry with them a need to go to Formula One and the teams for information and approvals, which takes time and may not come out in our favour. But we’ll let you know what happens with this when we have more information.

Multiplayer

We're still working on this and the more information you can provide us on the issues you're experience with online multiplayer, the better. Lozzy has been posting in some of the threads about multiplayer issues, please help him out with providing any information he's asking for so he can get it into the right hands within the dev team.

Thanks,

Thank you for your honesty. About Season Updates, did you update tracks? I found some detail from Formula1.com that there is pre-data from Melbourne and other data comes later season update. Here is link https://www.formula1.com/content/fom-website/en/latest/features/2015/5/f1-2015---ten-reasons-for-gamers-to-get-excited.html

Good job! Keep going!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Dnote

"Whilst we’ve investigated the work required to add new features, we also looked into some of the changes that have been requested."

Here's an EASY option to add: Pit Stop Camera from ANY angle (instead of the cockpit default)

This would help the t-cammers out there remain 'immersed' in their preferred view whilst in the box.

Not a priority... but something we would all appreciate.

Cheers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Alon78 said:
Season updates - you promoted the game with this feature and now you say it's too difficult!?
What is the value of season updates in a broken game?  Why not fix the game first?  Sure, they said there would be season updates, but things have changed.  I'm sure they had good intentions, but they screwed up, they know it, and they're trying to fix their screw up first...... though maybe in the year 2035, I'll take a break from watching all the Man on Mars coverage, and I'll switch over to a documentary about "The Demise of Codemasters" and an ex employee is interviewed and says they did it on purpose because we were all such a-holes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just add custom lobbies. I honestly don't see why you guys are making F1 2016. Already lost faith with your customers on F1 2015. Should fix and enhance this game or F1 2016 will have little sales 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
@Dnote Thanks for information and sincerely. I really appreciate it.

Well, the game had an amazing improvement since it was released and, personally, I know how much work will be necessary to develop VSC/SC and Carreer Mode. Looking at that way, maybe its better to move all of your attention to include it in next F1 game, but there's some minor things that would be improved in F1 2015 (Im using PC version) yet like:

Drivers AI;
- It is awesome, better AI of all F1 games, hands down, but sometimes some cars is hitting behind us with no sense and with no reason.
- I miss some drivers mistakes too, sometimes two drivers are fighting theirs position and they do around ten corners side by side and I never see they crashing or even touch in another car, breaking his front wings or something like that.
- Every single car takes the same trial on track, it is unreal and horrible to see. I know there's a best trial to do for you improve your lap time, but if you watch real F1 each driver drivers at his own trial, even it almost the same. 

Physics:
- The grass has a lot of grip, sometimes you can do a corner in the grass without a problem.
- Some curbs are higher than track, but in the game if you put the car above it nothing happens, in real F1 the car lose the grip, cause if the curbs is between the wheels, it touches the floor below the car.

Replay:
- I really enjoy to see my best moments in the race, and sometimes I wanna  save it but its impossible cause there's no option for that.
- Another thing that is awful, when I wanna go to the end of replay I need to press and hold forward button until the end, it takes a lot of time, especially at full race. Maybe its better to allow mouse's cursor to click where you go to.
- Replays should be at 60 fps too.

Car setup name:
- When you load your car setup, change some settings and save again, at most of time you just need to save with the same name, but when the name's popup comes, it brings empty and you need to rewrite the same name again, if it brings with the same name that already be saved will help a lot, cause you just click confirm and done.

Voice Commands - Add some commands like (I'm running BR version of the game):
- Current position: tell your current position, I just need to listen my current position, not "
Full Race Update"
- Especific driver position: Asking, for example, "Vettel's position" enginner tell you the Vettel's positon and how many seconds you are compared to him.
- First Driver: tell you the drivers name in P1 and how many seconds you are compared to him.

I found one bug in game sound:
- When you are on practice or  qualifying, if you press X button you go to lap time screens and so on, if you go to last tab to see another drivers driving and back to the track to drive your car, it sounds horrible, there's a bug in car sounds when you do it. (driving like F. Massa)

Thank you for your support


Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So it "just isn't feasible" for the game's creators to fix it with their "commitment to providing another game next year?"





Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
pOkiz said:
Replay:
- Replays should be at 60 fps too.





If you are using a Nvidia chip graphics card, a fellow racer gave me this tip and it works: go to Nvidia control panel and enable Vsync, then disable in game and you will get 60fps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Is it difficult to do different liveries for each race? Example: the livery from mclaren in melbourne..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×