Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

V2 Physics Discussion

Well, having done an 8:22 with the Quattro (setup in workshop) I can honestly say that while the car can feel pretty good with heavy tweaking to the antirollbars, ride height, camber, and suspension... looking at the replays it's back to hovercrafting. The car doesn't move right at all. It looks completely wrong. I just can't enjoy it. :/ It's physically impossible for any car to move like this -- unless, of course, it's a hovercraft. It just glides along the track, and this alone is why I'd pick V1 over V2 any day.

That said, I did enjoy my run enough to record it - but not from the replay cameras! Cockpit all the way.

V2 physics are very bad in my opinion. Yesterday I go Gordolon - Courte Monte in Polo WRC and I have 3rd time in World Ranking. But no fun :( Car is floating like howercraft. And cars are too light.

Codies give us back V1 please :D

i think some cars are better in v2 some are too easy to drive and better v1.just dont touch wales for god sake :D

I prefer the feel of the V2 physics. The RWD Group B Manta now feels much more drive-able around Wales. I do think controllers make a difference though. Winding on a lot of steering entering a hairpin the car will spin on entry (on gravel) rather than just plough. I still feel the steering is too effective at such extreme levels rotating the car and can behave a bit like rudders

Feels fine with the soft lock set and 100% saturation with a 900 degree wheel, but reduce the saturation to 50% so in the Manta it becomes 360 degrees and it is not just more twitchy as you would expect but seems to introduce some weird behaviour being able to instantly crank on full lock. I do wonder if controllers and their setup is a significant part of the variance of how this feels?

If you don't over-think V2, I suppose we have cars that are enjoyable on gravel and when sliding on tar, reasonably controllable and adjustable.  Many would like more grip and less movement and 4 wheel drifts, which is a fair request, but V1 was never going to give the same drivability on the limit and did not capture the essence of rally entirely.  V2 was/is always going to be a compromise and the best of a bad bunch!

I can enjoy it, its not something that stops me enjoying rally driving in the game

dgeesi0 said:
i think some cars are better in v2 some are too easy to drive and better v1.just dont touch wales for god sake :D

Absolutely. Thats what I said before, V2 physics does not affect equally to all cars. Some feels pretty good (like R4´s) other feels completely broken.. :(

OzoreXS said:
dgeesi0 said:
Absolutely. Thats what I said before, V2 physics does not affect equally to all cars. Some feels pretty good (like R4´s) other feels completely broken.. :(
037 got completely abolished in V2 physics. RIP.

Also, I noticed that the replays seem to miss on some of the car behaviour, which may explain the hovering in replays issue (which is mostly noticeable from helicopter view, and that may in itself be due to the shadows of cars being kind of strange). I'll be recording a run and then a replay of it in the same view I played (aka chase camera). Should answer if the replays are a viable option of diagnosing the physics. But I need to get a license for Dxtory, cause that big ass watermark is seriously annoying.

However, the most interesting thing about V2 on Pikes Peak is, aside from me completing the Codies V1.0/Winter Wonderland challenge, that the cars in Pikes Peak seem to be more... grounded the higher it gets. Like the downforce instead of going down, it actually increases. Also, I found a version of Dxtory that works with DiRT Rally, it's the 2.0.128, so worth checking out as it gives insanely good performance while recording, as demonstrated with the video below. Note that my rendering settings for Adobe Media Encoder seem to have changed their minds and start producing crappy quality. Don't know why.

0:12 - Start of 1st run (massive fail near the end of it)
9:40 - Start of 2nd run
18:40 - clear replay view

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSpqhKoXp44

PS. Give it some time for the 1080p60 option to kick in.

i find that the physics has been finetuned in some way.......  i don't feel the car anymore like a tincan,  also crashes are more natural, also roadside banks seems to be less evil than before. i found the driving is more fluid now........    it's that only me???? :D :D :D

btw i love this update!!!  hats off codies!!!  <3

teknoid85 said:
i find that the physics has been finetuned in some way.......  i don't feel the car anymore like a tincan,  also crashes are more natural, also roadside banks seems to be less evil than before. i found the driving is more fluid now........    it's that only me???? :D :D :D

You're not alone mate. :)

teknoid85 said:

I kinda wish the patch notes included all the tweaks. They also added more spectator sounds, more anti lag system sounds but that wasn't mentioned. Would love to know stuff behind the scenes as well :)

bogani said:
teknoid85 said:

I kinda wish the patch notes included all the tweaks. They also added more spectator sounds, more anti lag system sounds but that wasn't mentioned. Would love to know stuff behind the scenes as well :)
Yeah, that'd be nice :)  Check the release thread here again, they updated it today with more, not everything, but more.

They updated the spec sounds as they were off for regular rally.
They didn't add more ALS sounds, they just edited/added the trigger to enable when on partial throttle as well as off throttle.  Though that's bugged right now and they're not always working :(

Slow-pace, pace notes have been fixed/implemented, you'll hear then after you've crashed or if you're crawling through the stage, Paul sounds really 'ho-hum' bored :D

bogani said:
teknoid85 said:

just one thing to say:  if before the game was great now it's  legen..... wait for it....  dary!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

most important update of the early  access  ;)

Well, having done an 8:22 with the Quattro (setup in workshop) I can honestly say that while the car can feel pretty good with heavy tweaking to the antirollbars, ride height, camber, and suspension... looking at the replays it's back to hovercrafting. The car doesn't move right at all. It looks completely wrong. I just can't enjoy it. :/ It's physically impossible for any car to move like this -- unless, of course, it's a hovercraft. It just glides along the track, and this alone is why I'd pick V1 over V2 any day.

That said, I did enjoy my run enough to record it - but not from the replay cameras! Cockpit all the way.
Again, it;s not perfect. Didn't they laserscan it? I thought I remember that being a thing.

laser scanning is a thing, codies don't do it though.
I think it's more like they wanted but resources had a different opinion on the matter. Maybe even the game engine had too much of an Ego to accept laser scanned data xD

laser scanning is a thing, codies don't do it though.
I think it's more like they wanted but resources had a different opinion on the matter. Maybe even the game engine had too much of an Ego to accept laser scanned data xD
Hmm. I'm pretty sure I watched a little behind the scenes of them making PP and they said they laser scanned it. Probably seriously reduced the resolution if they did though. Or maybe they just did that height check triangulation thing. I know what I'm thinking of, so if you don't well then, ...

Nah, in the behind the scenes pics in the blog they said they did it the old fashioned tape measure way, with a pic of one of the team members measuring the width of the road

edit: Heres the blog http://blog.codemasters.com/dirt/06/pikes-peak-from-the-ground-up/

gheeD said:
Nah, in the behind the scenes pics in the blog they said they did it the old fashioned tape measure way, with a pic of one of the team members measuring the width of the road

edit: Heres the blog http://blog.codemasters.com/dirt/06/pikes-peak-from-the-ground-up/
Yep, that was it. My mistake. Thought maybe they used some altimeters or something.

gheeD said:

I hadn't seeen that article, nice one :+1: 

I have to say that without a doubt the V2 cars have fixed the horrible tarmac physics and Im enjoying Germany and Monaco more than ever!

Drifting is so much easier and predictable, making it so much more fun especially on tighter bends and hairpins.

Even though it took a while, I think the devs really delivered on this one. So a big thankyou to them for not ignoring this and making a really important improvement to this game. It was seriously needed to elevate the game from good to great and even though it was probably a lot of hard work it was totally worth it.

Overall the cars feel noticebly better on all surfaces too, with the weight and handling feeling more realistic and easier to drive and also easier to predict car behaviour.

I really hope they are still going to fix the aerodynamic issues that make the cars do crazy unrealistuc jumps? Especially in Finland! @Hatward said that @Kickup will be back on Monday and so hopefully that means we'll get a Dirt Show soon after and they will hopefully confirm this.

Im hoping they might also hint as to wether new DLC is planned (ie new countries) but it seems like they are going to wait untill the console version is released in early April 2016 before they decide to aanounce if there will be new DLC.

But even though they will be hard at work on the console release for the next few months, Im still hoping they will be working on fixes and even important tweaks and additions to the PC version.

If they dont just abandon it and decide to build on thier success with new countries the I think this could turn out to be one of the best driving games ever made. Especially if they continue to fix other things, like the replays.

Why does my car stall out when I'm holding down the clutch? Is this some kind of engine safety measure thing, or some weird bug?

Just tried PP last night for the first time again since it came out and I was able to run the full course without much crashing (car still needs proper setup tweaking).
But man what an improvement :)

The test for me, will be the elusive 205 PP. I fear that car....  :)

I talked about this with a Porkhammer and since he didn't said something along the lines of "you're drunk like a horse shoe, go sleep" I'm posting my thoughts on the subject here.

I did mention this before but it seems to have been completely ignored, so I just went on and didn't bother with it anymore. But recently something happened that just made me think about it again. My point?

Inverted downforce.

Let me explain. I was driving the Evo X... well, I was crashing it to be more specific and the boot came open. So I kept on driving. And the faster I drove, the more the boot got opened. Seeing as it has a spoiler on top of the boot, you would think it would close immediately due to downforce and air flow and what not. But nope, it went higher and higher until there was a jump which forced it to close (kind of like the trick with turning hard to close the opened doors).
This isn't my first time noticing it as I mentioned. It happens in other areas as well, in a way that you may not realise that could be the case at first, so let's go through them:
- increased jump distance - normally the faster you go, the stronger the resistance from air is, which will effectively shorten the distance of the jump somewhat, but if you have less air resistance the faster you go, then at those uber high speeds in Finland you're basically flying all over the place once you go over a certain speed and when you're driving below another certain speed you'll be stuck to the ground on the jumps. Kind of matches what we're experiencing in Finland, at least IMO.
- 4WD can't drift properly - mostly noticeable at those wider hairpins in Monte Carlo with the R4 class. Heck, happens with most 4WD Group A power spec cars (300BHP, 1200kg). Drifting through an entire hairpin there perfectly on 2nd gear is basically impossible, the car just runs out of torque/power instantly. Focus 07/08/09/Gen2 (choose the naming you use for it) has a similar problem where it just can't seem to maintain high enough RPM to keep the slide going. You can do it when you play with some gear ratios and adjust it specifically to it, but the 07 Focus is known for being so torque oriented that it rarely went below 3rd gear. The Group B cars and generally those with hilarious amounts of power don't suffer from this issue as they can overcome the resistance.
- Understeer on low speeds, oversteer on high speeds - well, if you have high downforce at low speeds, then naturally understeer will kick in, while if you don't have downforce at high speeds, the rear will step out.
- Pikes Peak downforce - when we're on the lower part, the cars are... drifty to say the least. They like to step out the back on the nearest occasion, not really much of understeer. The higher you go, the more understeer kicks in, which shouldn't really be the case, as there's less air, so naturally less downforce. Again, the behaviour fits with the inverted downforce pattern.

This of course doesn't fix the hovercrafty feeling that the cars have on tarmac (or does it?) but if it is indeed the case, it should help out with a lot of aspects of the game we don't necessarily like/enjoy.
Would be nice if some more people could check this to make sure it's not just me talking out of my ass and it may be an actual issue.