Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

V2 Physics Discussion

Some of those points I would agree with completely, some maybe not some much.
I definitely think the cars dont have the torque they should, but the Grp B are ok in that respect (so the physics have potential to work as you'd expect!).

Understeer/oversteer due to aero, at low speeds, aero has virtually no effect and understeer/oversteer is due to different aspects of setup, such as diffs or suspension geometry.  At higher speed, aero takes over and should play a big part.

On Pikes, until we can tune the front/rear aero, its hard to comment.  If the car has more front aero than rear, it will oversteer like a biatch in the dense air down the hill, & should loose frontal aero as the air thins out with altitude, which as you say, could induce understeer as the load on the nose decreases.

Jumping in Finland, thats a whole different kettle of fish.  

KevM said:
Understeer/oversteer due to aero, at low speeds, aero has virtually no effect and understeer/oversteer is due to different aspects of setup, such as diffs or suspension geometry.  At higher speed, aero takes over and should play a big part.
I agree completely that different setups will provide different results, but I'm talking about the same pattern across all setups. By that I mean if something has little understeer on low speeds then it will be a hell of a tail happy machine on higher speeds. If it doesn't have massive oversteer on high speeds, on low speeds the understeer will be killing you. And of course engaging an oversteer through just going on power is often not possible with the Group A performance spec cars.

As to Pikes Peak, if the load on the nose decreases, so does the load on the back but that isn't even what I meant with it. My point with Pikes Peak is more that at the lower part the aero is basically non-existent, as in it doesn't provide any downforce at all. On higher parts it seems to start working and making the car more planted (the high speed oversteer and low speed understeer is present there as well). Try driving on the first stage and then immediately start from the third one. There should definitely be a difference in how much the car is grounded. I personally feel that the cars become more grounded the higher you go. It's not much, but enough to notice it. The reason why V1 was so planted was because the downforce was over 8000, so if they are becoming more planted the higher you go... seems like more downforce is applied. If that is indeed the case, one problem with physics found.

Finland jumps naturally are down to more than one thing, but it definitely would make them... more tolerable if the cars had more downforce at higher speeds. I'm not saying it would completely fix the issue but definitely solve part of it.

V2 Production cars have damn all aero to ground them effectively in Finland but can take off like a kite if the wind gets under them when jumping.  That would never happen IRL.  

Yep, the hill is a funny one.  V1's used to lose power up the top too, that isn't noticible any more and as you say, they nearly get more planted as you climb...

KevM said:
Yep, the hill is a funny one.  V1's used to lose power up the top too, that isn't noticible any more and as you say, they nearly get more planted as you climb...
Indeed. Which fits the inverted downforce pattern all too well. And if something fits in so many places... you have to be onto something, right?

Paul mentioned that they aren't satisfied with their wind modelling which is the main issue with jump length. The inverted downforce probably also has a small impact on it that just makes it worse. You know, add a lot of tiny things and you get a huge thing after a while. To put it in more "gaming terms". One small bug isn't an issue, but 100 small bugs are more than irritating.

have there been any updates on the downforce/gravity issue? cars still have way too much hang time in the air.

Nope, no updates. I think it was some minor one in december, mainly adjustments for tarmac making grip levels a bit better.

If I remember correctly, they've said that changing the physics for jumping will require a full pass changing all of the physics again which is a huge undertaking.

Dytut said:
Nope, no updates. I think it was some minor one in december, mainly adjustments for tarmac making grip levels a bit better.

If I remember correctly, they've said that changing the physics for jumping will require a full pass changing all of the physics again which is a huge undertaking.
what a shame. every other aspect of the physics has been shining so far but having things feel like zero gravity from every jump just ruins immersion. here's hoping they have another pass at it before release.

Before release? Impossible IMHO. Discs are already in production and I don't think they will change anything just for Steam users. Do you? 

I do hope there's another revision of the physics at some point. I mean, I would hope this isn't what we're left with until whenever a a new title rolls around. There's some cars where the FFB is disappointing as well. Aside from content coming in April, have they mentioned anywhere features/fixes and whatnot that will be done?

Everything will get a polish.  I don't know about any major revisions