Jump to content Jump to content

Oh, Monaco… There’s bound to be more players looking for advice for this one. If you don’t mind, I’ll throw some generic comments in here.

When it comes to setups and handling it really pays to be detailed on the reporting. Not only because what one thinks is, say, oversteering could in fact be understeering resulting in snap oversteer, but specially because the “fix” entirely varies depending on when and how the issue happens.

The best way would be to provide a short video clip demonstrating the “predicament”. Too much? Then:

What corners are giving you the most trouble?
For every corner mentioned, what is the issue? Oversteer, understeer, locking front wheel, locking rear wheel, wheel spin?
For every issue mentioned, when does it happen? Corner entry, steady state cornering, corner exit?

Summing up these three cornering phases:

• Corner entry – When you brake and input your steering into the corner
  • Steady-state cornering – When you’ve lift off the brakes and is keeping a fixed steering angle. That’s when you hit the apex. On fast and/or prolonged corners (think of T11 and T12 in Bahrain, T3 and T4 and T9 in Spain, T11 in Monza, T4 in Brazil, T5 in Hungary) there’s also some degree of throttle applied.
  • Corner exit – When you’re past the apex and aiming to straighten your car, on your way to full throttle.

The last setup I used for Monaco was this one:

FW		10
RW		11
OnDiff		60%
OffDiff		70%
FC		-2.5
RC		-1.3
FT		0.12
RT		0.41
FS		1
RS		3
FARB		1
RARB		6
FRH		2
RRH		7
BP		97%
BB		56%
FTP		21
RTP		21.9

My goal was to reduce understeer on corner entry, be able to put power down exiting slow corners, and not lose it all if I needed to put a wheel or two on the curbs there on the swimming pool.

23 minutes ago, marioho said:

Oh, Monaco… There’s bound to be more players looking for advice for this one. If you don’t mind, I’ll throw some generic comments in here.

When it comes to setups and handling it really pays to be detailed on the reporting. Not only because what one thinks is, say, oversteering could in fact be understeering resulting in snap oversteer, but specially because the “fix” entirely varies depending on when and how the issue happens.

The best way would be to provide a short video clip demonstrating the “predicament”. Too much? Then:

What corners are giving you the most trouble?
For every corner mentioned, what is the issue? Oversteer, understeer, locking front wheel, locking rear wheel, wheel spin?
For every issue mentioned, when does it happen? Corner entry, steady state cornering, corner exit?

Summing up these three cornering phases:

• Corner entry – When you brake and input your steering into the corner
  • Steady-state cornering – When you’ve lift off the brakes and is keeping a fixed steering angle. That’s when you hit the apex. On fast and/or prolonged corners (think of T11 and T12 in Bahrain, T3 and T4 and T9 in Spain, T11 in Monza, T4 in Brazil, T5 in Hungary) there’s also some degree of throttle applied.
  • Corner exit – When you’re past the apex and aiming to straighten your car, on your way to full throttle.

The last setup I used for Monaco was this one:

FW		10
RW		11
OnDiff		60%
OffDiff		70%
FC		-2.5
RC		-1.3
FT		0.12
RT		0.41
FS		1
RS		3
FARB		1
RARB		6
FRH		2
RRH		7
BP		97%
BB		56%
FTP		21
RTP		21.9

My goal was to reduce understeer on corner entry, be able to put power down exiting slow corners, and not lose it all if I needed to put a wheel or two on the curbs there on the swimming pool.

How did it work?