Jump to content Jump to content

ALL PLATFORMS - AI speed on 'cooldown' lap causing problems

- As you can see at the end of the clip below, I finished my quali lap at the end of an 18min session. When the 'AI' took over after crossing the line, it carried on going at full speed. In itself, not technically an issue, but combined with the crawling  speed of the mass of AI cars ahead of me (they were practically stationary), caused my car to crash into Mazepin. Knowing how this game historically allocates blame / penalties, I could quite easily have been given one there. It actually gave Mazepin a 5 place grid penalty.

- DTDC-BMST-CDTX-GTJG

- XSX

- online, social lobby, friends only, 25% with 18 min quali. 

- 4 of us in session. I was host. 

- Nothing for me to do. 

- No idea how to replicate other than maybe try to finish my last quali lap after the session end, after the countdown timer has started? 

Surely this 'mess' at the end of the lap shouldn't happen at all? I'd have thought all cars, player or AI, once they've finished the session, should drive along at a predetermined pace. 

Edited by Rango
  • 3 weeks later...

This issue is making this game unplayable. It didn't happen at all in 2020. I simply don't understand why it's happening now?! 

It occurred 3 times in 3 races tonight  (short quali), videos pending. I think what's happening is after completing their flying lap in quali, the AI slow to a crawl. This then has a domino effect and you end up with a bunch of slow cars blocking the track, or worse, having crashed into each other (see below screenshot to illustrate the consequences) which if you're on your flying lap, you're screwed. You either crash into them, or if you've seen it soon enough, abort and add another lap worth of wear to the tyres and try again. It's a ridiculous problem. Hopefully have 3 separate videos to upload soon

eb12e3e2-3793-4fec-ade5-3d6bddf9391d.png

Edited by Rango
Screenshot added

I had something similar happen multiple times in F1 2020. Here's an example of it, which has been "with developers" for months, but it looks like it hasn't been solved, not even in F1 2021: https://forums.codemasters.com/topic/71350-ai-crashed-my-car-in-unranked-after-q1-ended-and-took-me-out-of-q2

I also saw the AI crawling on the track in qualifying, like in the videos above, but didn't manage to clip it.

Edited by Aparow
  • BarryBL changed the title to Xbox Series X - AI speed on 'cooldown' lap causing problems

That's the odd thing, I never experienced this on 2020 and we had races every Sunday since launch including a full league season. Happens in every session currently. There's no way I can start another league like this. Hope it get fixed this time 🤞🏻

1 hour ago, BarryBL said:

Yeah, not good this one. Will get that added to the list and sent to the testing team asap. 

Thanks Barry. If it helps, the AI level is probably a bit lower than most players as we had some new guys join us for 2021, plus AI are faster this time round. This is at 68. Don't see why it would be an issue at lower AI, surely the cooldown lap should be at a set % of lap speed irrespective of difficulty, and certainly not stopping on track! 

Races were 25% & 50%, but quali was short (18 min) in both instances. Not sure if it's the same in full quali. 

Edited by Rango

i haven't done many weekends with anything but one-shot quali in 2021 yet, but I swear the behavior in race seems (at least to me) to continuously get worse in line with the consistently dropping "focus" stat on all the AI drivers when I'm playing in career modes.

By about season 2 it feels like a miracle to get 2 clean laps in before the safety cars and cautions start coming out.

5 hours ago, GrogSwiller said:

i haven't done many weekends with anything but one-shot quali in 2021 yet, but I swear the behavior in race seems (at least to me) to continuously get worse in line with the consistently dropping "focus" stat on all the AI drivers when I'm playing in career modes.

By about season 2 it feels like a miracle to get 2 clean laps in before the safety cars and cautions start coming out.

Not sure this is related, the issue I've raised is to do with qualifying not the race. 

Edited by Rango
  • 2 weeks later...

Ok thanks, but not sure what there is to investigate. Just set AI cooldown laps to be done at a higher speed than 5mph!

I really hope 2022 will be less of a car crash (pun intended) than this game is. We've gone back to 2020 because this is just unplayable

Edited by Rango

At least when it happens in session you can try and avoid them, happening at the end - when most cars are out on their final attempt - is impossible to avoid. Completely ruins the immersion. Can anyone confirm if this happens at all in single player or is it just online? 

• 2 weeks later...

• As the title says, the AI no longer get out of the way in practice or qualifying when they are on in/out laps when you are on a fast lap. This is on the latest patch that included Imola.
  • Report Code - N/A
  • Xbox Series X
  • Grand Prix
  • What troubleshooting have you tried? Tried replicating the same scenario multiple times where an AI car comes out of the pits as I’m coming down the main straight. I tried following them for the entire lap and they do not slow down and get out of the way.
  • Unable to make a video at this time.
  • How do you make the problem happen? In both qualifying and practice at Imola in Grand Prix mode. As already mentioned above cars are coming out the pits as I’m starting a fast lap and they are not getting out of the way for the entire lap. They just continue to drive as normal. This was not an issue on previous patches.
  • Agree 2
  • BarryBL changed the title to ALL PLATFORMS - AI speed on 'cooldown' lap causing problems