Jump to content Jump to content

I need your help (lag and stages) Dirt Rally

sincity78

hello all,
Can I get your help please, are you having the same problem as me...... lag on certain stages
I bought Dirt Rally when it first came out, what a sweet game, ran perfect.....but with all these updates patches etc it runs crap!
I believe my pc runs in the band of top notch pc,

Motherboard - MSI 990FXA Gaming board
Memory - 12gb
Graphics - GTX 970
CPU - AMD FX9590
Steering wheel - Logitech G25 (I think)

I've un-installed the game several times, following instruction from Steam/youtube and google

I need you advice, help......what is causing this

Thanks
Can you post details about your PSU? What is the rated wattage? I doubt the problem is in hardware (unless you're experiencing same kind of problems with other games). Your setup should be able to run the game easily on ultra settings since it's running on an old engine and isn't all that heavy, but you could try to tweak the settings down as an experiment if you could find a bottleneck that affects performance.

Also can you describe where are you experiencing these problems? Is there some common pattern like when you are breezing past a field or the time of the day is certain or something?
My PSU is Corsair CX 750W. I can't see it being hardware, as other games I own run fine........before the Finland update I was getting Error 41 and current issues with error connection (on steam), I'm with Sky fibre with no other person on the network, really doing my head in now Urokhtor.

I have issues on fields on Wales rally and rallycross Sweden (terrible on this track), noticing catch up issues i.e. sound of GO comes before the signal. Graphics is turned right down (performance) and yet still giving the problems.

Whilst awaiting for more feedback, I will run more test.

Thanks
Have you tried use NVidia Inspector ? It makes changes to your NVidia settings, then you can go into game and change your graphic preferences.

Download http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/nvidia-inspector-download.html

How to guide
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syE55-jEzb8

Yeah, you've got an 8 core cpu, try this http://forums.codemasters.com/discussion/27306/dirt-rally-0-8-update-stuttering-wrong-workmapfile#latest

adaklum said:
The following workaround helped me with the stuttering when the game detected the wrong workerMapFile.
(CPU - 4 Cores 8 Threads (Hyperthreading) only)

Go to Program Files/ Steam/ SteamApps/ common/ Dirt Rally/ System/

Find the file named hardware_settings_config.xml

(Make a backup just in case)

Open it with a Text editor

Find the line <threadStrategy workerMapFile="system/workerMap.xml"
forceFeedbackProcessor="0" dvdStorageProcessor="0" dataSetMonitorProcessor="0"
renderProcessor="0" updateProcessor="0" fileStreamProcessor="0"/>

then change it to <threadStrategy workerMapFile="system/workerMap8Core.xml"
forceFeedbackProcessor="6" dvdStorageProcessor="7" dataSetMonitorProcessor="4"
renderProcessor="0" updateProcessor="2" fileStreamProcessor="5" />

Save

By changing this line you´ll force the game to use the 8 threads, i hope
it helps untill they fix the problem.

Original post http://steamcommunity.com/app/310560/discussions/1/617335934132920537/

You don't need to make a back up, if it fails to load after you change the line just verify your D:R files on Steam, it'll replace the altered file with the original.
My fps problem issues remains, to play with decent fps i have to put resolution  on low (1024X 766) and graphics in very low quality, and looks like i am playing a game of the beginning of  the early 2000´s !  It´s a huge dissapoitment! I hava a lot o friends with the same problem
Does codies will do something about the fps problem issues?
dgeesi0 said:
make sure advanced blending is off. infact just set graphics to default . it should be fine.
Actually, since the Finland update, you can turn on advanced blending without wrecking your framerate. I think it's finally working as it was meant to be.
Turned it on. From 72FPS down to 30FPS. Can't see ANY difference in image quality whatsoever. Still broken for me then.
Try that on the next go, mean while 4 stages in Wales and playable but poor to first time it came out, as rally cross, ain't even bothering. very poor..... you would think DIRT would look into this with the issues raised by the amount of users complaining since the last up date.

Any more fixes , please let me know.....tempted to go to the darkside and buy WRC5 when it comes out

Sometimes I have slight stuttering and can solve it by prioritizing the game in task manager. Most of the time it runs fine though, my only other thoughts would be to check your background processes as sometimes the game doesn't like it when anti-virus or something is running in the background.
I have a fairly moderate PC and can happily run a high setting across the board (minus Advanced Blending which kills it), and get 40-50fps.  Im happy with that.

I do get occasional single stutters on certain stages, but I nearly know their isolated location now and know to expect them!
You don't need to make a back up, if it fails to load after you change the line just verify your D:R files on Steam, it'll replace the altered file with the original.
Downside of this is that it also change the skins you replaced back to original.
Atleast that happened to me when I did the verify files one time.

@sincity78
Don't have the answer of your problem sadly but, I got a GTX970 with a i7 2600K (4 cores 8 threads) with a 850w PSU, and I have no big fps drops what so ever.
I haven't changed anything in the nvidia control panel nor in that system file skiddy is talking about.
So I doubt that you can find the answer to your problem there.
Maybe you need to check other parts of your pc like HD, try older drivers for gpu etc.
I am using driver 353.62
Disable any OC you got running if you have it oc'ed

Also what OS are you using?

cheers guys, SkiddyMcCrash  I'll try your settings, not much different to mine...... Assiemodis I did back track my drivers to 353 and no changes and still stuttering, I'm know running updated drivers on W10. Even with 8.1 it was stuttering.....feel like chucking the thing doing my head in...... (new to this site so don't know how to tag you in). Thanks again, await for Dirt update, it might fix the issue.
G37L057 said:
dgeesi0 said:
make sure advanced blending is off. infact just set graphics to default . it should be fine.
Actually, since the Finland update, you can turn on advanced blending without wrecking your framerate. I think it's finally working as it was meant to be.
Turned it on. From 72FPS down to 30FPS. Can't see ANY difference in image quality whatsoever. Still broken for me then.
That's odd. Before the update, I had the same problem, but now it goes "only" down by some 10-20%. Graphics card is GTX 970.

sincity78 said:
Guys, If your using Nvidia graphics card, what is your Control Panel settings? Your settings might be better then mine?
Everything on default/application settings, except: adaptive vsync on, and framerate limited to 58fps via MSI Afterburner.

edit: no wait, that was before the Finland update. That fixed the stutter, so I'm not using MSI Afterburner anymore.
When trouble shooting this kind of thung, you have to disable that kind of thing, I found frame rate limiting to introduce stuttering sometimes.

Test with frame rate limiting disabled, then try each vsync on and off to check for the stuttering (ignore the possible tears or other issues whilst testing)

Archived