Jump to content Jump to content

I have a question relating to this topic because me and a friend are getting confused with these setups. We're finding higher top speeds at both Spain and Bahrain using preset 1 and 2 instead of preset 3. It seems like something that doesn't make sense since higher downforce normally means higher drag which in turn means lower top speeds.

Just now, galeforce97 said:

I have a question relating to this topic because me and a friend are getting confused with these setups. We're finding higher top speeds at both Spain and Bahrain using preset 1 and 2 instead of preset 3. It seems like something that doesn't make sense since higher downforce normally means higher drag which in turn means lower top speeds.

Its not that simple. Straight line speed is cause by quick corner exit at the start of the straight, while at the end of a straight low aero settings will give a benefit. So, if you end up with a higher top speed in certain situations, it may well be that you had very decent previous corner exits, combined with beneficial tyre pressures or sumsuch, while the low aero setups will give you better straight line acceleration, but simply not enough to counter the quick corner exits you had previously.

Overall I find the benefit of low aero setups in F1 2021 game a bit too low. If feels like low aero settings, especially low rear wing settings, do never seem worth the try, because the effect on the straights is not large enough to outsmart slow / mid corner performance. Add to it that you can use DRS during qualifying and overtaking in a race, and you will end up with more aero heavy setups than one might expect.

As a 3rd aspect, it seems to me that currently there are a lot of ways to reach quite the same laptimes with different setup approaches, so that a better driveable setup seems more valuable that one that might let you gain 1-2 tenths. Then again, may well be I am so bad of a driver that I cant make more of the better setups, even if I try šŸ˜„Ā 

@galeforce97Ā it makes sense if you open up the setup. Preset 2 has 8-5 wings while Preset 3 has 8-8. The reason for that was already discussed (or speculated) on page #1 of this topic, but that's the main reason for having higher straight line top speeds with Preset 2 than Preset 3.

I'd be very surprised if Preset 1 really turnsĀ out to be faster on a straight than Preset 3 as it adds way more drag to the car with its 11-10 wings than P3's 8-8. I don't think the decrease in rear toe from 0.41 to 0.35 would be great enough to allow for higher top speeds on P1, but I'd need to test that out to be sure.Ā 

It is e.x.a.c.t.l.y as @SchneehaseĀ said, though. Forget top speeds, care about lap times and consistency. Case in point: you'll constantly find Williams and Alpha Romeo at the top of speed traps for every GP haha

13 minutes ago, marioho said:

@galeforce97Ā it makes sense if you open up the setup. Preset 2 has 8-5 wings while Preset 3 has 8-8. The reason for that was already discussed (or speculated) on page #1 of this topic, but that's the main reason for having higher straight line top speeds with Preset 2 than Preset 3.

I'd be very surprised if Preset 1 really turnsĀ out to be faster on a straight than Preset 3 as it adds way more drag to the car with its 11-10 wings than P3's 8-8. I don't think the decrease in rear toe from 0.41 to 0.35 would be great enough to allow for higher top speeds on P1, but I'd need to test that out to be sure.Ā 

It is e.x.a.c.t.l.y as @SchneehaseĀ said, though. Forget top speeds, care about lap times and consistency. Case in point: you'll constantly find Williams and Alpha Romeo at the top of speed traps for every GP haha

That's why I was confused, we were finding that we were about a tenth quicker down the main straight at Bahrain on preset 1 rather than 3 which just made no sense me or my friend when trying it

The presets are weird this year imo, very unbalanced... seem designed for one lap pace rather than race pace. Also the most important thing to consider on a setup (other than consistency as said above) is what kind of cricuit are you on? High speed corners being where the time can be made or in traction zones? Controller or wheel can also make a fundamental difference to what you requirements might be. I've had formal training (years ago) in how to setup an open wheel car, but most of what I'd suggest has already been posted in great detail, but rule no1 is 'BALANCE', too many supposedly fast setups which are posted ad nauseum are so unbalanced as to be undriveable for more then 1-2 laps.Ā 

• Like 1