Jump to content Jump to content

Sharing my experience as a pad user on this game

Hey guys, just wanted to share my experience on this game to see if people are having a similar or completely different experience to me. 

AI difficulty changes?:

For probably the last 3-4 years, I’ve been able to comfortably race with 110 (or simply max difficulty) AI without having to worry about flashbacking a lot or turning the difficulty down, up until this year. I’m not really too sure whether I’ve purely gotten worse at this year’s game, or whether the AI are just plain faster now, but I ended up having to drop down to 105-107 for my first season of My Team career, as I was enjoying the challenge, but wanted to be in that sweet spot of being comfortably quicker than my teammate, but still slow enough to have that first season struggle of fighting for 10th place under normal circumstances. My guess is that the AI has been improved in order to provide a bigger challenge to the Esports drivers. This isn’t a complaint in any way, it’s more like venting from someone with a bruised ego🤣.

The mixed feelings I have with the handling model:

To an extent, I really enjoy the new handling model. At least to me, the car feels much more difficult to drive this year, sometimes in a bad way, like the kerbs (which I will get onto), sometimes in a good way, like the much increased edgy feeling that you’d expect from a downforce car when going through medium to high speed corners. The handling just doesn’t quite suit the pad anymore. I get quite frustrated when I spin out through high speed corners because it’s almost impossible to have that steering precision like you could with a wheel, and whilst you could tell me to increase the rear downforce, that leads us to the different setups on this year’s game. You seem to need a much pointier car this year (one with higher front wing angle), as more stable setups seem to give me a bad feeling of understeer and which still don’t mitigate the high speed instability. 

Bumps and kerbs

Bumps and kerbs are far more lethal on this game. I understand the thought behind this change, you have the realism factor in consideration, as well as the thought to deter corner cutting. Although, I feel like the best way to do it would be to make kerbs more fine tuned to their real life counterparts, as players want to have those difficult kerbs, such as the chicanes in Hungary and Spain, as well as the flat kerbs, for example on multiple exits in Azerbaijan there are still pretty high kerbs when they’re completely flat in real life! I know doing this would take a lot of time and resources, but if you really want to take the step towards realism like I’m sure you intended to do with this year’s kerbs. Overall though, most of the kerbs do suck, I have to be truthful. There should never be exit kerbs that spin your car almost every time you drive over them.

Thoughts on main game changes: 

Really have to complain here, as much as codemasters make a great F1 game every year, the decision to spend most of your time and resources for this year’s game to develop a story mode that was completely separate to career mode was silly. As someone who pays 65 pounds to buy a game, I would like to find longevity in the game, meaning I don’t want to get bored after 2 or 3 months of playing. There would be two ways to increase that longevity, the first would be to expand career mode further, and the second would be to revamp multiplayer. Neither of which are done. I understand that my bracket of the playerbase have been catered to for many years up until this year, so I shouldn’t really complain, but I really feel like Braking Point is a complete waste of time, in fact, I haven’t even bothered playing it since I have no interest for it. My guess for why you guys decided to add a story mode? Maybe to cater to the casual player who only buys the game to play a few times a month? Maybe to rake in some new players in which a story mode would suit their preference? I really don’t know, but the F1 game fanbase is full of players who mainly play either career mode or multiplayer, so I don’t see why Braking Point was needed, but I guess it’s another thing to add.

New Tracks + the amazing Japan circuit

Thank you codies for making a wonderfully realistic circuit model for Suzuka, it looks very good and I hope you guys increase the amount of resources you spend on revamping tracks because some of them look unrealistic (Mexico being the worst culprit). Imola, Portimao and Jeddah being added to the game is a major bonus, and to those who complain about them not already being in the game, you need to realise that tracks take a long time to be made in a game, that can’t be stressed enough. Even the game being released at all after such a difficult 18 months is majorly commendable, well done codies.

Wheel vs Pad Delta

Hoping to get some feedback from people about how they’re finding the new game, whether pad users have the same experience as me, and whether wheel users are the same or not. Thanks for reading, hope this doesn’t come across as a rant, I will continue to enjoy this game, just have a few issues with it. 😛

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

or whether the AI are just plain faster now, but I ended up having to drop down to 105-107 for my first season of My Team career, as I was enjoying the challenge, but wanted to be in that sweet spot of being comfortably quicker than my teammate, but still slow enough to have that first season struggle of fighting for 10th place under normal circumstances.

Yep, that's by design. Codies' has stated already that every year the AI gets better in order to offer veterans like you a challenge. Dropping only 3-5 points in difficulty looks mighty impressive from what I have been seeing.

The handling just doesn’t quite suit the pad anymore.

With that I have to disagree. I seriously jump into this franchise only on F1 2019, but this year is the first time I felt like turning off ABS and really being rewarded in the effort-outcome scale, so to speak. I shared my thoughts here:

To sum up, "It's like we can feel the limit of grip better, we have a better reading of when the tires are starting to break traction. I play on the pad with no assists and it feels like I can drive on the edge way more frequently than before. Up to F1 2020 it was almost like if there was a hard limit for breaking traction, a cliff. Obviously we spin and lock up just as spectacularly if we push too much, but we can feel the controller rumbling and the tires slipping/skidding as that limit nears". Feels like I can have a clearer reading of the grip situation this time, any time. 

Regarding setups, that's a mixed jar of feelings. You'll probably enjoy the discussion here:

Every setting in the setup screen still does precisely what it intends to do, in my opinion. But the system as a whole is too opaque and with this last push to realism in the driving model I think we've lost some of the benchmarks and reference points we once had.

Now with the kerbs... Heh, another discussion you might enjoy:

I really really think it helps to load up the instant replay to quickly check your wheel placement with the outside camera, as was discussed in the thread. I've raced on Bahrein, Spain, Austria, Monaco, Monza and Hungary so far and every time I got fuming with a spin, the replay quickly settle things for me. There it was, a wheel on a painted strip, a wheel on astroturf, a wheel on the grass. 

And modulating throttle and steering inputs pays huge dividends in this game. Now it seems way closer to what we see on those F1 onboards with telemetry on youtube, in my opinion. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

I like the steering 99.9% of the time there's just times where i wish the car wouldn't understeer as much as it does. There seems to be an issue between where the way the wheel turns so if just push the stick right it's fairly consistent but if push it diagonally up to the right it seems more reactive it's very weird. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, marioho said:

Yep, that's by design. Codies' has stated already that every year the AI gets better in order to offer veterans like you a challenge. Dropping only 3-5 points in difficulty looks mighty impressive from what I have been seeing.

With that I have to disagree. I seriously jump into this franchise only on F1 2019, but this year is the first time I felt like turning off ABS and really being rewarded in the effort-outcome scale, so to speak. I shared my thoughts here:

To sum up, "It's like we can feel the limit of grip better, we have a better reading of when the tires are starting to break traction. I play on the pad with no assists and it feels like I can drive on the edge way more frequently than before. Up to F1 2020 it was almost like if there was a hard limit for breaking traction, a cliff. Obviously we spin and lock up just as spectacularly if we push too much, but we can feel the controller rumbling and the tires slipping/skidding as that limit nears". Feels like I can have a clearer reading of the grip situation this time, any time. 

Regarding setups, that's a mixed jar of feelings. You'll probably enjoy the discussion here:

Every setting in the setup screen still does precisely what it intends to do, in my opinion. But the system as a whole is too opaque and with this last push to realism in the driving model I think we've lost some of the benchmarks and reference points we once had.

Now with the kerbs... Heh, another discussion you might enjoy:

I really really think it helps to load up the instant replay to quickly check your wheel placement with the outside camera, as was discussed in the thread. I've raced on Bahrein, Spain, Austria, Monaco, Monza and Hungary so far and every time I got fuming with a spin, the replay quickly settle things for me. There it was, a wheel on a painted strip, a wheel on astroturf, a wheel on the grass. 

And modulating throttle and steering inputs pays huge dividends in this game. Now it seems way closer to what we see on those F1 onboards with telemetry on youtube, in my opinion. 

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Perhaps it may be the setups that cause me to spin, although I always have the softest suspension settings in my setup, nonetheless the struggle I’m feeling to adapt my driving to this game is challenging, which is a good thing overall! I feel like I’m starting to get the hang of it, and think that it may also be the way my My Team car is upgraded or just a characteristic that sticks.

Thanks for all the tips!

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, JTTWOfficial said:

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Perhaps it may be the setups that cause me to spin, although I always have the softest suspension settings in my setup, nonetheless the struggle I’m feeling to adapt my driving to this game is challenging, which is a good thing overall! I feel like I’m starting to get the hang of it, and think that it may also be the way my My Team car is upgraded or just a characteristic that sticks.

Thanks for all the tips!

Just treat this game like the Souls series, with each installment, I always complained about how unfair the bosses felt when I first encountered them. But just after some getting used to the mechanics and practice, all of them are literally walk in the park.

I felt exactly the same way when I first jumped into F1 2021 from 2020, why the car felt like it had so much understeer yet so easy to spin out on exit, and the kerbs are so brutal, why the setup didn't work anymore, etc. Now though, with the new understanding to the car handling and physics, I can just tell you, I've never driven so well and so confident before.

This is coming from a pad-user who had never touch a wheel for racing game since the end of playing GT4. 

Edited by DRTApophis
  • Like 2

It comes down to finesse with controller.  And that means hardly ever pushing the stick or pressing brakes and accelerator 100%. Also make sure your fully off brakes before turning.. 

when braking for corners.  I double brake on off on off then turn.. you really need the car to be settled turning as it keeps it more stable 

• Like 1

@ScaredDuck here lowkey dropping bombs of tips! What you're describing is cadence braking or pulse braking and it's as real as it gets. It's a technique for, duh, braking but also to balance the car and have it settled when attacking a corner. 

Throttle and brakes are not simple go-button and stop-button. They're inputs at the disposal of the driver to control weight distribution. And weight in racing means that little tiny unimportant thing we hardly hear about called grip.

• Like 1

Weird that you consider the sweet spot being comfortably faster than your teammate. Wouldn't it be better to be level so it a challenge every session ? I'm just doing qualifying sessions at minute to find my level but I love having my teammate right there tenth in front or behind . 

• Like 1
17 hours ago, Naxlr said:

Weird that you consider the sweet spot being comfortably faster than your teammate. Wouldn't it be better to be level so it a challenge every session ? I'm just doing qualifying sessions at minute to find my level but I love having my teammate right there tenth in front or behind . 

it was more about being able to battle slightly faster cars, when I progress with a better car, then I’ll battle my teammate! 🙂

Each to there own m8 . Personally I always set the ai so I'm were the car should be ie just starting out I and my teammate should be at the back and I have to drive the wheels off to best him and not be dead last. Then we progress up the grid together. But I see your point to fight the quicker cars earlier on . 

• Agree 1