Jump to content Jump to content

Would anybody else like to hear something from Lee Mather on the state of the game????

I spent a lot of time reading articles when Lee Mather was being interviewed prior to the release of F1 2021. Now that the game has been release, does anyone else in the F1 forum community  feel he should now be communicating with us, the end users? I feel he spent a lot of time on telling us how great "braking point" was going to be, but how about now after the release?? I personally have not seen a comment from him. Has anyone else? Does the part of the community that is upset with the state of the game feel that he should be communicating with us???  I just find funny how in the weeks leading up to the games release he was heard from a lot. After the release nothing as far as I know. I could be completely wrong and I apologize if I am incorrect. This is by far the version that I personally have had the most issues with. Stuck communicating with servers or just getting an error when loading. I just thought it would be nice to hear from the head man now. Please don't get upset with me, I'm just curious how the rest of the forum community feels.  Thanks for your time!

• Agree 2

We are not entitled to communication from game designers.

Lee Mather and Codemasters choose to speak about the game in the build up to release to help with marketing. Mather is a game designer, not a marketing person. It's not fair to suggest that he should act as a mouthpiece for the game or as a public representative of CM - I highly doubt that's in his job description.

Now, if he wants to say anything publicly about the game or chooses to address any fan comments or do interviews with the media - that's his call. But he's under no obligation to do so.

You don't have to like that, but that's how it is across all games and even the wider entertainment industry too.

Here, we have Codemasters community people like Barry and PJ Tierney who act as the go-between for players and the company. I appreciate their efforts to keep us informed about the game and listening to our feedback and working with us to help solve problems with the game.

Honestly, compared to a lot of other game franchises and studios, we are lucky we have that level of communication and even have this official platform to talk about the game on.

Edited by Blent
  • Agree 3
  • Disagree 1
26 minutes ago, Blent said:

We are not entitled to communication from game designers.

We are entitled to the game that was advertised to us and that we purchased, however.

If it's their choice to not trot Lee out to address the issues/discrepancies, so be it. But of course they are the ones that decided he was the guy to share all the info. That's their precedent, not ours. I am confident he is paid to be a mouthpiece and representative of DM--surely he wasn't just flapping his gums without it being requested by his boss. Wouldn't that violate his NDA?

Doesn't it at least seem strange that he was only the guy to communicate before release? Now that the game's out, he isn't being tasked with talking about the game anymore.

I will commend Barry--he seems to have a tough job around here.

2 hours ago, diderooy said:

We are entitled to the game that was advertised to us and that we purchased, however.

If it's their choice to not trot Lee out to address the issues/discrepancies, so be it. But of course they are the ones that decided he was the guy to share all the info. That's their precedent, not ours. I am confident he is paid to be a mouthpiece and representative of DM--surely he wasn't just flapping his gums without it being requested by his boss. Wouldn't that violate his NDA?

Doesn't it at least seem strange that he was only the guy to communicate before release? Now that the game's out, he isn't being tasked with talking about the game anymore.

I will commend Barry--he seems to have a tough job around here.

He's paid to be the Game Director, so if they're going to put anyone from the dev team forward to talk to the press to help market the game, the Game Director is the most obvious person as they're the most senior.

What I'm saying is, him having that role doesn't mean that we as consumers should expect him to address us all publicly about the game. Which is what OP seems to believe - that he should come and face us all to answer our questions and concerns about the state of the game.

Thankfully, however, those of us who do have issues with the current state of the game have plenty of avenues to raise those issues in a proper and constructive way - especially on this very forum.

Edited by Blent

No, as i find him more of a Marketing guy, so i dont believe to much of what he says before a game releases.

Its like a salesman/women, they promise you the world, until you put your sign and the deal is done 🤣

Edited by GioProductions
  • Agree 2
  • Disagree 1
1 hour ago, Getts0388 said:

I just find funny how in the weeks leading up to the games release he was heard from a lot. After the release nothing as far as I know.

I'm sure the same has been true in previous years. This is basic marketing rather than any reaction to the current situation with the game.

Yes it would be nice to have better communication but what really matters is things getting fixed/improved. Somebody just popping up to say that Codemasters know there are issues and that they're working on them may be reassuring but in itself wouldn't make any real difference. 

• Agree 3

I would love to see a lifting of the curtains from Codemasters, yes. I'm way more interested in hearing from Senior Handling Designer David Greco and the guys from the audio design than someone in a top managerial role like Mather, but whatever.

Though I wouldn't put it the same way, I'm with @Blent. I do not expect that from the Franchise Game Director nor would I really be interested. This feels like one of those shame 🔔 shame 🔔 shame 🔔 community kickbacking. I really rather have a Hello Games scenario, with them going relatively dark but outputting fixes and improvements, than a... whatever it is that Activision, Blizzard and CDPR do these days to deal with backlashes with blank statements and stuffless roadmaps.

I've expressed my opinion on a different thread about the state of the release:

The only communities I can speak about are those for Rainbow Six Siege, Monster Hunter, Pro Evolution Soccer, Witcher 3 and Red Dead Redemption 2. In the sense of being active almost on a daily basis, those are the communities and forums I have personal experience with.

• R6: Used to be the best one out there, with a strong presence of a community manager bridging feedback from the devs.
  • Monster Hunter: Pretty good, if you speak Japanese. Otherwise it's mostly "hey, Capcom tweeted in response to this, here is the best translation I can make".
  • PES: Silence from Konami, a truckload of lies from that community manager chap from the UK.
  • Witcher 3: No direct interaction from CDPR, but lots of patches and changes in response to community feedback.
  • RDR2: Nothing that I remember, but the single player game has always been solid.

Codemasters' F1 has the best one, by far. Obviously it could be much better but I haven't ever personally met one.

TL;DR: I really want to hear from Codemasters. I would not want to hear from Lee Mather. 

• Agree 1
3 hours ago, GioProductions said:

No, as i find him more of a Marketing guy, so i dont believe to much of what he says before a game releases.

Its like a salesman/women, they promise you the world, until you put your sign and the deal is done 🤣

******** generalisation.

• Haha 1

Yeah, I'd love to hear what he has to say about the game crashing and shutting down Xbox S and SX consoles and potentially overheating them.   Game isn't even playable at this point, but I guess he's the one laughing with my money.