Jump to content Jump to content

Custom championships: What can be improved

RickyMcHawk

Sooooo, with v0.8 we got our so praised custom championships. This lovely new feat complement our already great custom events, meaning we can get multiple rallies with point based overalls and also helping we get our cars upgraded. Before I go any further, let me just state that I'm creating this thread not to bash what has been implemented. Instead, I will take my own approach on suggesting what can be improved, and I must thank @KickUp for listening to the community and getting this in the game.

Custom championship makes a great add to this superb title, and I believe that with a little more development, it can help DiRT Rally to be more well known in a territory that it already outstands: Immersion. The way it is today, it's a good feat, but my suggestions for it to extract the best of its potential are:

Be able to choose which rallies a custom championship will hold;
Be able to choose which stages will be in a given rally;
Be able to choose the weather of each stage.

I'll use the infographic made by @Krusi85 to support my points (BTW, terrific job man!).

So, to defend my suggestions, let me say:
Be able to choose which rallies a custom championship will hold: We all have our favorite rallies. For a custom champ, we can increase the fun factor by choosing which rally will be part of  it. Another argument is that several folks (including me) would like to create an event that could resemble the WRC. In that way, I'd create a Monty, Sweden (TBR), Greece, Finland, Germany and GB callendar. Everything to be as immersive and realistic as possible.

Be able to choose which stages will be in a given rally: We already have this one in custom events. In carrer championships, sometimes I find it odd that we have sequences like Bidno Moorland and Pant Mawr Reserve, or, likewise, Verbundsring and Flugzeugring reverse. If we think realistically about it, all rally cars would have to travel INSIDE a rally stage to get to the next SS. That doesn't seem smart to me. That would be less plausible to happen IRL, and therefore, less realistic (and yet again, less immersive).

Be able to choose the weather of each stage: I got to admit that this one is very well implemented in career championship, although sometimes I get a morning overcast - night - afternoon sunny setup. To improve the immersion (can't highlight this word enough), we should be able to select the weather we run against.

With all that writen, the practical example of what can be improved is a custom event with 12 stages that I'm currently running:

Monte Carlo:
Pra d'Alart (long) - Night Wet
Col de Turini - Départ en descente (sprint) - Night Mist
Route de Turini Descente (sprint) - Night Snow
Route de Turini (long) - Afternoon Snow
Col de Turini - Sprint en descente (sprint) - Afternoon Mist
Col de Turini - Descente (sprint) - Afternoon Mist
Gordolon - Courte Montée (sprint) - Afternoon Snow
Col de Turini sprint en Montée (sprint) - Afternoon Mist
Valée descendate (long) - Day Sunny
Approche du Col de Turini - Montée (sprint) - Day Sunny
Route de Turini Montée (sprint) - Afternoon Sunny
Col de Turini Départ (long) - Afternoon Sunny

That way all follows ups are logical and weather seems plausible. Greatly improving... immersion... :smile: 
Full customisation of a championship would be great provided they could be saved and perhaps even shared with others. I like the idea of creating something as authentic as possible, or at the very least setting a more believable order of stages and time of day. Neither of these seem to reliably randomise into a sensible order in my experience, e.g. I did a 6 stage customise championship yesterday and found an annoying about of repetition in the stages. In theory there's enough road for 2 long and 4 short stages without repitition (edit: nope, error on my part. I've doubled things). The first two rallies also had four nights stages each.

Being able to save and load championships is key to this though for me. I've never played a custom rally so I don't know if that's a feature there.

I'll note IIRC Paul said in the v0.8 DiRT show that it was a design choice not to allow selection of stages in custom championship, although I didn't entirely understand the specifics of why and don't recall enough of what was said to repeat it.
I don't think the devs intended for this to be full custom, or at least, definitely not name it "Custom", since this also earns credits for career usage. Full Custom shouldn't qualify for rewards, because you would make it fit what you want/like.
Didzis said:
Full customisation of a championship would be great provided they could be saved and perhaps even shared with others.
Isn't that what leagues are for?
I've no experience with leagues so cannot comment, I thought they were multiplayer. I'm thinking single player when I describe a shared custom championship. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
simply put i would like expect to be able to pick what rally i want to race. that should be a simple thing to do.

i mainly like wales so let me just race wales.not a demand its just what many would want.

having to start a custom rally it gives you a set of tracks you dont want to race on means you have to leave or quit then try again . its annoying and isnt fun.
Now, this is a great addition, don't get me wrong, but I am the sort of person dreaming of a mode where you can choose the stages. I'll write more on that later.

Here's a question for you: if custom championships had more functionality (ability to choose locations/stages), would you mind them NOT being part of career mode, just like custom events?
Now, this is a great addition, don't get me wrong, but I am the sort of person dreaming of a mode where you can choose the stages. I'll write more on that later.

Here's a question for you: if custom championships had more functionality (ability to choose locations/stages), would you mind them NOT being part of career mode, just like custom events?
No, I wouldn't. To upgrade the car today is really easy. You just have to upgrade the sh*t out of perks. 3*4WD + 3*American Brand + 3*2000s + 3*Ford Focus and the car is full spec in one rally. Downside it burns good 480k in credits... but alas...

I think the least that can be improved is more plausable follow ups, because to get Bidno Moorland then Pant Mawr Reverse doesn't seems quite right.
Rally drivers cant show up to a rally and choose what stage's they want to score points on.  They cant enter a Championship and be selective on the content either.  The challenge of rallying is, showing up at the event and doing your best on the day, on the stages that the organisers put in front of you.

RickyMcHawk said:
Be able to choose which rallies a custom championship will hold;
Be able to choose which stages will be in a given rally;
Be able to choose the weather of each stage.
1. I agree here though best to add the order in which they will appear as well. This way we'll be running custom championship that still feels "official".
2. Can't agree here. If you can even select the stages themselves, it's changing it to the custom mode we can all select but with earning IGC. Wouldn't make a sense to ever use the Custom Event option ever again aside from getting the Delta achievements.
3. Partly agree. You should be able to select a general preset for the weather in the given event, as in increasing the chances for rain/snow/mist etc. After all even if it pours rain, the rally is not gonna take an hour to finish, but few days. In that time the rain will stop and the mist will disappear only to reappear. For example you don't want snow at all in Monte Carlo, but you would love rain in Germany and Wales, while running more stages in Finland and Greece at night (that's a stupid idea xD).

Generally the custom championship are good but should be improved. It just can't be improved to a point where it's basically custom event with rewards.
I made these suggestions over 2 weeks ago in the private forums, at least as far as stage selection.
There's nothing wrong with wanting to make a championship where each event might consist of just the four long stages and just the eight sprint stages. Or to exclude doing the reverse stages.
The whole point of introducing the custom championships was to alleviate the repetitiveness of doing a Masters Championship of all twelve stages, meaning you would be racing through certain sectors multiple times in short order.

It's a bit of a conundrum. As you can imagine, the custom championships aren't really meant to replace the custom event mode.
The random elements are the same as those that a normal championship has.

We'll have to wait and see.
I'd really like the rewards calculation to show actual credits (for instance the maximum amount of price money) instead of a percentage. With the way that the various difficulties have a different amount of stages, it's really confusing how the "percentage" is jumping up and down - and you still have no idea how many credits will be "up for grabs".
BrySkye said:
I made these suggestions over 2 weeks ago in the private forums, at least as far as stage selection.
There's nothing wrong with wanting to make a championship where each event might consist of just the four long stages and just the eight sprint stages. Or to exclude doing the reverse stages.
The whole point of introducing the custom championships was to alleviate the repetitiveness of doing a Masters Championship of all twelve stages, meaning you would be racing through certain sectors multiple times in short order.

It's a bit of a conundrum. As you can imagine, the custom championships aren't really meant to replace the custom event mode.
The random elements are the same as those that a normal championship has.

We'll have to wait and see.
I agree with you 100%. I think if you were able to set the combination of sprints/long stages/reverse stages, without being able to know which country comes first or which conditions you are going to race in, it would keep enough of a random factor, and still alleviate the grind of normal championships.
I feel a bit differently, but I sort of agree with you.

My ideal 'event' would be the 4 unique short stages run twice in a repeated loop (but different time of day, weather etc). This is as close to a 'real' an itinerary as I feel I can get from what's available.

Yes, I could do this is custom event (and this is currently how I'm playing), but at the moment there's no way to run against the same AI drivers over a season or multiple events.

The 'easier' solution to that, I guess, would be to fix the AI so there are only the same 15 opponents in each category/difficulty level, in which case I'd be perfectly happy, or to choose which AI names in custom event mode.

Until then, there are great cars, stages, AI, locations etc but, frustratingly, I can't tie them together into my ideal season format. I understand that will sound silly to some people, but that's the way I have always been able to do, from Grand Prix 2 through Sportscar GT and to GTR2/rFactor.

Bonus points for ability to edit name, car and ability of AI drivers, but that's something for another thread.
100% agreed. I could not explain this better.

"Custom" has nothing to do with "random" and its happening right now.
"Custom" should let you customize your own way.

Someones say "hey, you can do that on custom event". Yeah, but what about the reward? what about the car upgrade? You cannot get that on custom  events.

So yeah, much more interesting stuff if we could manage the custom champ. beyond.
OzoreXS said:

Someones say "hey, you can do that on custom event". Yeah, but what about the reward? what about the car upgrade? You cannot get that un single event.

If I'm honest, I don't care about that at all (personally). I have no interest in the RPG side so if I could do everything 'custom' outside that I'd happily do so.
And what if we make a sharp u-turn and suggest that the custom event get the ability to select more than 1 rally?

:# 
That was going to be my next suggestion as well. Although realistically I wouldn't use it until I'd finished buying and upgrading all the cars I want in the game.

The other thing I was thinking about would be to create a pool of custom events and then have the custom championship draw from that pool. I'm keen on having a degree of randomness but similar to RodgerDavies I have my ideal formats for rallies that try to mimic a 'real' rally itinerary with the road we have available. I would like to run the road in order and any repetition would be a morning/afternoon direct repetition and not a random mix of forward and reverse.

OzoreXS said:
"Custom" has nothing to do with "random" and its happening roght now.
"Custom" should let you customize your own way.
"Championship" has to do with "random" in the game. Rally drivers aren't also event organizers: they show up and drive the itineraries set for them. That's the challenge of the randomized championships, and why they give credits. So "custom" lets you at least limit the difficulty and length.

Archived