Jump to content Jump to content

1 minute ago, DRTApophis said:

If I remember correctly, there's only negative camber setting in the game, it's either more negative angle or less. 

Oh no... I hope I didn't create a tangent response. 
The graphic I created above is just an over exaggerated visual of my question.

In other words, more camber = 2.50? 

Just now, ShelbyUSA said:

Oh no... I hope I didn't create a tangent response. 
The graphic I created above is just an over exaggerated visual of my question.

In other words, more camber = 2.50? 

I think I understand what you're saying now, the "min" and "max" shown on the menu is quite confusing. 

If I wasn't mistaken all along, then -3.50 is supposed to be the "maximum" negative camber setting, while -2.50 is the "minimum" negative camber. 

So maximin negative = more cornering grip and increased tyre wear... also less accelerating and braking performance?

there was a f1 game that explained it perfectly.  F1 championship edition.  An ancient game that still beats any game sim when it comes assistance setting your car up.  Not only did it help you find a setup suited for you it explained what settings did what and why etc

but then all ancient (20+ years) games came with at least 100 page game manual.  These days we get a piece off paper directing you to where you can payout more cash.  

And left to ask google and hope you click on one off the self proclaimed expert on YouTube that doesn’t bore you with a hour long guide only to find out he hasn’t got a clue 

Edited by ScaredDuck
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
59 minutes ago, ShelbyUSA said:

Just trying to make sense of the UI again...

Honestly, am I right with this? 

If so, why not make a simple graphic to explain it better? 🤷‍♂️

I believe it would put +5 years of confusion to rest? Just my two cents.. 

@David Greco

F1 2021 Camber Clarity.jpeg

F1-2021-Setups-Explained-Suspension-Geometry copy.png

The part of your chart that shows +ve/-ve/neutral is correct.  The other charts with numbers are not correct or the wrong direction.  For example, the game does not allow a neutral camber.  So the line should never be pointing vertical.

min and max will both point inward / \
Min=-3.5 is more inward pointing that max=-2.5 because the angle is larger in magnitude (see your -ve picture above)

Soooo....   hmmmm anyone seen  Mario.. 

he never leaves me confused.  Mario!!!!!

@marioho

anytime now.  He’s probably helping another poor confused racer with  one off his perfect in-depth no stone left unturned explanations.

codemasters should sack Jeff and recruit mario.  Seriously I’ve been to countless  race gurus and trawled all the racing game forums. over the decades  and never have I come across anyone as knowledgeable on all aspects as mario.

I know how it works.  Just want clarification which way is increased grip and wear etc.  Thought I knew for sure until read this thread

Edited by ScaredDuck
  • Haha 1

Hahaha thanks, @ScaredDuck!

There was a thread on the matter not long ago. This was my main post in there

There's no way to set a neutral camber on these cars. They're downforce monsters and even the slowest of circuits like Monaco still require a great deal of negative camber - hence why the minimum camber is still a significant negative camber, -2.5

• Like 2

Sorry for the double posting, but wanted to tackle this one properly. 

image.png.7628c4b7a416dbddf97bd1b3daa5dc54.png

Again, another abridged version of that Pirelli assessment of all the various aspects of the 2020 circuits. With camber, what matters is lateral forces acting on the car during cornering.

F1 cars are all about

downforce for taking corners hard and fast. We all know the spiel about how many Gs these cars pull or go under or whatever. The more intense the cornering, the more the car will roll to the sides and consequentially lean on the outside tires. Literally, lean. That’s why the axles are set with some degree of (negative) camber, so that when the chassis rolls there’s more rubber contacting the tarmac.

The issue here is purely of UI. The “negative” part refers to how we depict angles in relation to a plane. There we have our beautiful slick tire standing perfectly vertical. We can either lean it to one side or the other. We can even lean it exactly 15° to one side (away from the car) and 15° to the other (closer to the tire) and there we will have the precise same amount of camber (15°), but with wholly different effects to the driving experience.

The way to differentiate one type of camber from the other is to assign to it a “+” or a “-" sign so that we get info on what direction that degree of camber is going in relation to the vertical plane.

So -3.5 camber is the same “amount” of camber as +3.5, but in different directions with wholly different results. Positive camber is only used on ovals.

Now back to the Pirelli guide, the greater the chassis roll, the more your performance will benefit from cambering the tires. I expect to have setups with greater amounts of (negative) camber on tracks with high Downforce and Lateral Energy scores.

Which is exactly why Monaco doesn’t automatically benefit from too much camber. Not that many high speed corners. Way less chassis roll compared to, say, Hungary.

• Thanks 1

Remember for Camber, IGNORE the words MIN & MAX. You read the number.  Slider all the way left is wheel on biggest angle, eg : /--\

slider all the way right is the LEAST amount of camber.. eg: |--| 

the confusion comes from the words. As u can see the distance from 0 to -2 is the smallest angle, and the distance from 0 to -3 is the biggest angle.

and because the human brain is good at correcting things on its own, despite what your eyes are seeing. The brain says "MAX" must mean biggest angle.

except -3.5 (the smallest of the numbers) is the biggest angle.

Don't believe me the human brain can self correct what it reads???

hree is porof taht the bairn can slef crorcet waht it rades.   <--- your brain will fix the spelling as long as the first and last letters are correct.

tip: Martin Brundle and Paul de Resta have said many times during commentary, f1 cars use the least amount of camber on rear tyres for maximum traction.

tip: for setup tips, Aris.Drives youtube channel is mega for what does what and how.  Also Driver 61 (teaches real world drivers including f1) how to drive is also very good.

Edited by F1Superfan
  • Agree 2