Jump to content Jump to content

Helping me driver faster bahrain

Hello, On the last f1 2020 I put a video up of a lap and received a lot of great tips which helped me post times from top 10000 to top 1500 in tt. I seem incredibly slow at bahrain it must be my worst track I am about 2 seconds down on the tt times of people in my league.

Any advice would be amazing on my lap and I will put a few hours in to see if I can improve.

Assists I use is just brake assist that is all and I am on a wheel.

Thank you everyone 

https://gamerdvr.com/gamer/jarmin0123/video/142116594

Well get rid of break assist straight away and you will go significantly faster..... And if you in league and played previous games you know the track so really no need to be running a assist that is designed for new people to help them learn the tracks etc . I would bet without break assist within 10 laps practice you would take a second off your time comfortably......

Didn't get to watch the video yet as I'm on mobile, but what Naxlr said is fundamental. Whatever improvement you can make, it will either be when approaching a corner - so when braking - or when exiting a corner - which totally depends on how you attacked it in the first place. The braking assist will actively interfere with that.

Now you got braking braking assist or just ABS?

Simple solution is just to practice more only way you going to get better. No magic solution .   different set up might find you bit of time but no setup is going to find you 2 seconds . 

Trail braking is key

1. Watch TRL Limitless on youtube and watch the brake bar and see how he never leaves off the brake until he hits his apexes
  2. Attack the curbs by hitting them with your front wheels rather than avoiding them. 
  3. Keep your speed higher through corners by not over braking ( this is the hardest one)

Thank you pal I will try to do a bit more of this. After watching my video I can see that I miss a lot or apexes or attacking them incorrectly and struggling to get on the power.

Also yes it is definitely on equal performance but thank you for the suggestion it is appreciated 

33 minutes ago, Spicey2 said:

Trail braking is key

1. Watch TRL Limitless on youtube and watch the brake bar and see how he never leaves off the brake until he hits his apexes
  2. Attack the curbs by hitting them with your front wheels rather than avoiding them. 
  3. Keep your speed higher through corners by not over braking ( this is the hardest one)

Managed to get it down to a 1.26.1 and very consistent but still can't make the 1.25s ...... I am just wondering if you think I turn into bends too early and I should brake more in a straight line then turn the wheel

Some general pointers.

• You can downshift more rapidly in the first phase of braking. Engine braking is powerful and it works differently than normal braking: instead of physically stopping the wheels by pressing down on them with calipers and brake pads, it slows down the wheel by sapping its energy. Without going much into details, it’s like you trying to run with someone holding a elastic band attached to your belt. You’re running ok with the person keeping up with you and the band slacked, then the person stops and, the band gets taut, and it gets progressively harder to keep on running as the band stretches on and on.
    • When you close off the throttle but the engine naturally keeps working, all that working rate is sapping energy from the wheels. The engine brake power gets higher as you downshift – gears ratio, torque, yadda yadda yadda. So the sooner you get to lower gears, the greater the extra decelerating force acting on your car.
  • Your upshift seems odd to me too. Maybe I’m the one being too conversative, but take these two clips I merged:

Why are you upshifting so soon? Do you feel the car losing grip on the rear? Feels like you're skipping the optimal power band (engine RPM) for no reason, losing acceleration potential

• You were not carrying much speed on your way through T6. See how your car is content in staying in the tarmac? Usually when we’re exiting T6 we’re carrying so much speed that the car wants to go wide and naturally go over the kerbs on the right. This section (exit from T4 all the way to T6) could use some practice. You don’t effectively need to ride the kerbs – specially with them being tricky here as they are – but feels like you can carry way more speed than you presently are. Your car is way below its limits here.
  • Your line on the entry for corners T8 and T14. You can attack the apex better. By going wide from it like this, you’re effectively prolonging the corner and needing extra time to rotate the car and get back on full power.
  • Back to T8, why is your right foot resting over the accelerator right there? Did you feel the need to control the car pitch and balance by keeping your foot on the throttle? The same goes to T10... and a bunch of other corners:

vlcsnap-2021-08-19-12h42m47s702.png.bee08107e3633ba9855e5ef7341e5fe9.png

vlcsnap-2021-08-19-12h43m43s580.png.de10b4105fcb2daaeec39841ef58a658.pngvlcsnap-2021-08-19-12h44m00s090.png.003462336d25def6be1b69f862c957b5.pngvlcsnap-2021-08-19-12h44m36s479.png.7c788d5b75bf4274e8983ddafcfc193b.pngvlcsnap-2021-08-19-12h45m12s718.png.215a98ba567ee99cc1fefa85b551f6c5.pngvlcsnap-2021-08-19-12h45m22s818.png.075b1f53d4c83ab2154ecec7c7a1a5c9.pngvlcsnap-2021-08-19-12h45m37s270.png.d0f5cf286677b1e56ebd56bc671a2ad5.pngvlcsnap-2021-08-19-12h46m03s082.png.7531f548c36b589130eaa1432b6a079f.png

Why are you never completely off the throttle through these corners? This is legit technique to balance the car front to back, but through the video I could not see the need for its application.

• Line through T11. Again, your car is serenely on the middle of the track when exiting the corner. Seems like you could be carrying much more speed through here. If you were using it to its full potential, it would be licking the outside of the track on the right. The same applies to T12, mutatis mutandis.
  • Thanks 1

This is absolutely awesome. I am going to get some practice in now with your advice. 

The resting on the accelerator I never even noticed and is completely accidentally and must be laziness on my part. 

A lot of this advice can definitely help me not just on here but on many tracks as I certainly struggle with a lot of tracks similar to this.

Thank you so much I will get some practice and let you know tomorrow how I get on 

• Like 1

Managed to get into the 1.25s at last   will work more on it tomorrow as it is very difficult changing so much so quickly  but thank you pal. Managed to get 4th in my league race as well so it definitely helped me

@marioho thank you so much for your help. I haven't had a lot of time to play lately but I am in the mid 1.25's now and can lap consistently in the 1.25's which is more important. You help has helped me a lot along with taking the time to practice. I have also learnt that when braking to trail brake and braking in a straight line really helps. It also helps with getting the correct lines into an apex as before every apex I felt like I hit were early apexes.

They quick downshifting from high speeds really felt like it has helped my consistency also and it feels like I can brake 10 metres later which is a lot on certain corners. It has also helped me around other tracks.

I appreciate your help and anything else is always appreciated. I will upload a better lap in the next day or so. Out of interest what time can you get on it?

• Like 1

Good to hear! With time you'll get a sense for how much your line into a corner compromises your performance through the whole section. Physics can be boring but I do recommend these couple videos:

There's also another from Chain Bear that could be of help.

Edited by marioho

trail breaking for dummies.

imagine a rope attached from the steering wheel to the break pedal, so at max breaking, the rope is tightest so you can't steer left or right, and as you release the break, you are able to apply more steering in the direction you want to turn.

• Thanks 1

I found the video above explain what you guys are saying and after another 10 laps I have managed to get down to the 1.25.4's which I feel is very good considering how poor I was a few days ago. 

My goal is to get into the 1.24s... that video could help a few people I hope.