Jump to content Jump to content

AI Balance Quali vs Race (Career)

Yesterday I watched a video from the youtuber Dave Gaming (German), who is in my opion a very fast driver. In the video he was in his 3rd season in Myteam and had the 3rd best team. In Hungary he just was able to get P16, while his teammate was in top 3 I think (in Qualifying). In the comments of the video someone asked, why he is startgrid ist often that bad, while his laps are very good and his race pace is quiet normal for his car perfomance. DaveGaming answered that it is the balancing in the career mode. The more you develop your car the more the driver increase their perfomance too. Mostly in Qualifying I think. With more and more developing Qualifying seems to get out of balance in career. By the way in race he was able to become 3rd, with a bit luck and good strategy. 

Have you noticed this too? In my coop career I have the feeling, that it is harder to reach the aim, where we should be in case of car perfomance in Qualifying, than in One-Lap Qualifying in GP mode. 

I remember that we had this problem in F1 2020 too. The first season was okay, but inseason 2 my team perfomance was in the top midfield and I changed the driver from a F2 Driver to Albon. He outperfomed me in Qualifying and I still fought about getting into Q2, while I normally should fight about Q3. This was a game breaker. 

How are your expierences in this game? Is this Problem still in the game? And when you had this problem, how did you "solve" it? I mean it is possible to reduce AI for Qualifying but the question is how much.. To hit the right balance without knowing how fast the AI is in the end of Q3 is quiet difficult. 

Edited by DonBlanko

Man, I'm an outspoken critic of the complete half assness of the technical stuff of this game.  The AI is unbalanced, careers unbalanced..  They focused so much on this stupid breaking point **** that they neglected EVERYTHING.  Top it off with ANYONE at codemasters being completely silent and just leaving everyone hanging...   They don't care that it's unbalanced.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1
7 hours ago, DonBlanko said:

Yesterday I watched a video from the youtuber Dave Gaming (German), who is in my opion a very fast driver. In the video he was in his 3rd season in Myteam and had the 3rd best team. In Hungary he just was able to get P16, while his teammate was in top 3 I think (in Qualifying). In the comments of the video someone asked, why he is startgrid ist often that bad, while his laps are very good and his race pace is quiet normal for his car perfomance. DaveGaming answered that it is the balancing in the career mode. The more you develop your car the more the driver increase their perfomance too. Mostly in Qualifying I think. With more and more developing Qualifying seems to get out of balance in career. By the way in race he was able to become 3rd, with a bit luck and good strategy. 

Have you noticed this too? In my coop career I have the feeling, that it is harder to reach the aim, where we should be in case of car perfomance in Qualifying, than in One-Lap Qualifying in GP mode. 

I remember that we had this problem in F1 2020 too. The first season was okay, but inseason 2 my team perfomance was in the top midfield and I changed the driver from a F2 Driver to Albon. He outperfomed me in Qualifying and I still fought about getting into Q2, while I normally should fight about Q3. This was a game breaker. 

How are your expierences in this game? Is this Problem still in the game? And when you had this problem, how did you "solve" it? I mean it is possible to reduce AI for Qualifying but the question is how much.. To hit the right balance without knowing how fast the AI is in the end of Q3 is quiet difficult. 

If you find qualifying difficulty seems to be too quick, one trick is to run the session in real time and don't skip or fast forward while the Ai are on their flying lap.

I actually found the difficulty setting more balance between qualifying & race in this year's game. Last year I had to drop 2% just to match their speed in quali, but now I can set it to the same as the race setting or sometimes even higher by 1%. 

7 hours ago, DRTApophis said:

If you find qualifying difficulty seems to be too quick, one trick is to run the session in real time and don't skip or fast forward while the Ai are on their flying lap.

I actually found the difficulty setting more balance between qualifying & race in this year's game. Last year I had to drop 2% just to match their speed in quali, but now I can set it to the same as the race setting or sometimes even higher by 1%. 

I know the problem you are talking about and agree with this. But the problem I am talking about is that it seems that the AI overall seems to become stronger the better the car become too. Difficult to explain. When we develop the car, the car become automatically faster, but not ourselves. But it seems that the driver performance increases too (I don't mean the stats).

So this problem is only in (coop) career / my team. I noticed it last year. Since I watched the video from DaveGaming I noticed that the problem seema to be still there. I am not that far in our career that I have own experiences in this case. 

How about the rest ? Did you have to change AI difficulty after one season or two because AI become stronger in qualifying?

1 minute ago, DonBlanko said:

I know the problem you are talking about and agree with this. But the problem I am talking about is that it seems that the AI overall seems to become stronger the better the car become too. Difficult to explain. When we develop the car, the car become automatically faster, but not ourselves. But it seems that the driver performance increases too (I don't mean the stats).

So this problem is only in (coop) career / my team. I noticed it last year. Since I watched the video from DaveGaming I noticed that the problem seema to be still there. I am not that far in our career that I have own experiences in this case. 

How about the rest ? Did you have to change AI difficulty after one season or two because AI become stronger in qualifying?

Yea I think I was one of the most vocal here that mentioned about that issue with AI improving exponentially the faster their car had become. Atm my way to "fix" it is either lower the difficulty by 2% for each season if the cars are improving too quickly, and run qualifying in real time to nullify their ridiculous fake lap times during late game.

• Agree 1

I got my team to best team by quite a margin.  And lando as my teammate.  Restarted myteam career.  As I and lando always got one two qualifying.  And in race lando drove off into the distance and the rest off the field someway track depending behind me

Good to read, that some made other expierences! I hope we can get more posts from other people, who finished already season 1 and more and noticed any increasing pace of the AI overall in Qualifying. 

Basic for noticing this is, that the AI Difficulty settings is not too low in season 1. Means, that the players time fits to their car perfomance. So if your car is around haas and williams in case of performance, your lap times should be around there. I know that some Players like to fight for pole already in season one, which does not fit the car performance, when you set the AI level to low. 

Is this the case in your careers  @ScaredDuckand @thatdc?

9 hours ago, DRTApophis said:

Yea I think I was one of the most vocal here that mentioned about that issue with AI improving exponentially the faster their car had become. Atm my way to "fix" it is either lower the difficulty by 2% for each season if the cars are improving too quickly, and run qualifying in real time to nullify their ridiculous fake lap times during late game.

Thats a good tip. Do you mean 2% of the difficulty level of season 1 (in my case it is 95, so 2% of 95 are 1,9 --> 95 - 1,9 = ca 93 AI Level. Right?) And do you lower this only in Qualifying or in Race too? So you do this in the beginning of season 2 f.e. and then it fits for the overall season? 

@DonBlanko I'm using https://www.reddit.com/r/F1Game/comments/okblkh/f1_2021_difficulty_helper/ as a difficulty calculator to tune the AI. Unfortunately AI is very unbalanced among tracks and sometimes I run 80, sometimes 92, it depends on the track.

That calculator is very precise and I always end up around the right spot in Quali. After two race weekends I noticed that in race I struggle a lot more to even stay in my Quali position so I had to play on X AI in quali and X-1 AI in race, this gives me quite a balanced experience.

My MyTeam setup is with everything reduced for player and standard for AI. I'm in Season 2 right now with Haas being the worst car and Ket Racing (my team) + Williams + Alpha Tauri battling around p20-p15

Edited by thatdc
  • Like 1
7 hours ago, DonBlanko said:

Good to read, that some made other expierences! I hope we can get more posts from other people, who finished already season 1 and more and noticed any increasing pace of the AI overall in Qualifying. 

Basic for noticing this is, that the AI Difficulty settings is not too low in season 1. Means, that the players time fits to their car perfomance. So if your car is around haas and williams in case of performance, your lap times should be around there. I know that some Players like to fight for pole already in season one, which does not fit the car performance, when you set the AI level to low. 

Is this the case in your careers  @ScaredDuckand @thatdc?

Thats a good tip. Do you mean 2% of the difficulty level of season 1 (in my case it is 95, so 2% of 95 are 1,9 --> 95 - 1,9 = ca 93 AI Level. Right?) And do you lower this only in Qualifying or in Race too? So you do this in the beginning of season 2 f.e. and then it fits for the overall season? 

Whoops, sorry I should've said it clearer, it was just 2 simple clicks down on the setting. So for example if it was 110 on 1st season then it become 108 in season 2 (If the cars are improving too fast).

But if the original setting is below 100 then it should be 3-4 clicks down, because based on my personal and some other players' testing, when it's 100 or above, every +1 on the difficulty will make the AI about 0.15-0.25 sec faster, while for below 100, it'll be just about roughly 0.05-0.1 sec difference for every click. 

Of course nothing here is absolute, 2 clicks was just my personal experience from going through many seasons + resets, which have been working very well last year for myself to adapt to the increasingly difficult AI (One example is I had to drop a whopping 5 clicks from 105 on Catalunya during season 3 just to barely keep up).  

You'll still need to take your own rate of improvement into consideration, just don't hesitate to be flexible on the settings. 

Edited by DRTApophis
  • Like 1