Jump to content Jump to content

F1 2021 is the worst F1 game in a very long time (TLDR: Codemasters not caring about the playerbase)

The game really feels like this year it was dropped halfway thru so they could focus work on these 3 extra new tracks or the 2022 game.

The amount of stuff that was in last years game that has been stripped out- classic cars, short tracks, championship mode, multiple save slots, keyboard support for Xbox, loads of QOF features, it feels like it was all removed to streamline the game to make it easier to deal with cos the devs are working so hard with other projects on the go. Im willing to bet all the stuff that was removed will all magically re appear in next years game and we'll be told its the best ever etc. Let's remember breaking point portion of the game was farmed out to another studio, so that can't really justify the total drop this year, aside from a hilariously corny soap opera script that was written, it uses the same race engine and assets etc and just cuts in the other studios actors and cgi. 

Forgetting the multitude of bugs. Didn't this year have its largest ever beta? (can't believe they released a racing game which didn't work properly on the most popular brand of race wheel thrustmaster even though it did every year before jeez) Track assets are stripped back so even silly things like the helicopter, planes from track atmosphere are removed,  even track assets such as trees have been reduced. The Online custom/MyTeam car has not had a bodywork update since it debuted in 2019 so it actually looks dated on the grid

Not to mention the mad design choices like a bright white menu screen so that folk with HDR screens get their eyes burned out, or a multiple stage box menu system you have to drag yourself thru just to see some simple online lobby settings such as damage etc which is such a step back.

BTW this post is not a complaint against the devs, who work so hard bringing us the game every year. Rather at the people at the top who make the awful overall choices, decisions, timescales 

I've been a die hard supporter of the series for over 10 years now, but I have for the first time been questioning it. When I read the interview with the boss of F1's digital division say he was open to giving a studio a sim licence for another F1 game I actually got excited, which I actually find pretty sad considering how much I've cared for the series 

Edited by TomAAA
  • Agree 6
1 hour ago, TomAAA said:

The game really feels like this year it was dropped halfway thru so they could focus work on these 3 extra new tracks or the 2022 game.

The amount of stuff that was in last years game that has been stripped out- classic cars, short tracks, championship mode, multiple save slots, keyboard support for Xbox, loads of QOF features, it feels like it was all removed to streamline the game to make it easier to deal with cos the devs are working so hard with other projects on the go. Im willing to bet all the stuff that was removed will all magically re appear in next years game and we'll be told its the best ever etc

Forgetting the multitude of bugs. Didn't this year have its largest ever beta? (can't believe they released a racing game which didn't work properly on the most popular brand of race wheel thrustmaster even though it did every year before jeez) Track assets are stripped back so even silly things like the helicopter, planes from track atmosphere are removed,  even track assets such as trees have been reduced. The Online custom/MyTeam car has not had a bodywork update since it debuted in 2019 so it actually looks dated on the grid

Not to mention the mad design choices like a bright white menu screen so that folk with HDR screens get their eyes burned out, or a multiple stage box menu system you have to drag yourself thru just to see some simple online lobby settings such as damage etc which is such a step back.

BTW this post is not a complaint against the devs, who work so hard bringing us the game every year. Rather at the people at the top who make the awful overall choices, decisions, timescales 

I've been a die hard supporter of the series for over 10 years now, but I have for the first time been questioning it. When I read the interview with the boss of F1's digital division say he was open to giving a studio a sim licence for another F1 game I actually got excited, which I actually find pretty sad considering how much I've cared for the series 

Agree 100% with everything you’ve said and definitely feel the same way. For many years the F1 series has grown and has always been my most played title each year, but this years entry is the most disappointing in a long time.  Don’t get me wrong, I don’t blame the developers behind the scenes in any way at all, I’m sure it’s been a tough year with having to deal with the complications of Covid as well as the EA merger creating a lot of uncertainty.  As you say the blame has to lie on those in charge further up the chain.  

I don’t think they’ll be in a massive hurry to add back everything that was removed for this years title, EA being EA you can bet your life they’ll add them back but at a premium instead of being part of the package like before.  

I really hope F1 2022 makes up massively for the issues and overall state that F1 2021 is in, otherwise if there’s more complaints and sales start to fall then I really do fear EA will start to have even more of an influence over the games direction …which would probably be bad news for everyone. 

Edited by stephensmattlee
  • Agree 3
28 minutes ago, stephensmattlee said:

I really hope F1 2022 makes up massively for the issues and overall state that F1 2021

Im starting to think they are "saving" assets for the 2022 game as the sport will take a huge hit with all regulation changes.

New car is obviously the biggest one, but new car different ways of improving the car, so new R&D upgrades?

Engine freeze in 2022, will we still be able to improve our engine in the R&D?

Will MyTeam be able to copy the cost cap that will be introduced in F1?

If indeed the sprint race is added officially to certain tracks, will it be there?

There is a lot of questions about the next F1 season, not only IRL as in game. Let's just hope the game won't be so bad as the last time there was regulation changes so big. 

From F1 2013 to F1 2014 the downgrade was big, but maybe that was a mistake by codemasters to bring such hard work to F1 2013 instead of saving it for the big changes in 2014. 

Im gonna give one last chance to them in 2022, if they don't nailed it I don't know when will happen.

17 hours ago, BarcaMascot said:

Firstly I would like to state this only my opinion and that many people may disagree with me which is completely fine. But reading forum posts, Tweets and watching glitches unfold every session I do, F1 2021 has been absolutely woeful so far in the games lifecycle. Now don't get me wrong some positives have been made like graphics for example, they are a major step up from last year and make the game look refreshed, Yet these positives are massively overshadowed by how bad the bugs and glitches have been so far. Some of these bugs include: 
- Cars loading into completely different tracks than everyone else in Online
- Having no in game music 
- Wheels losing FFB randomly and having keyboard inputs (Why is keyboard even enabled on Xbox anyway ?)
- People loading into a wet session when its dry for everyone else 
- People having safe files deleted 
- Wheel users not being able to change there button bindings/mappings
- MFD not displaying damage 
- Kerbs that send you to the Moon (Italy and Russia mainly) 
- Kerbs that immediately spin the car for no reason 
- The AI having OP downforce levels in MyTeam 
- When pitting the AI crashes your car into the pit wall
- The game randomly retiring your car in online for no reason 
The list goes on and on and on. The game is plagued with bugs and after todays patch notes it feels like Codemasters are completely ignoring our bug reports (Majority of the issues listed have been reported but with no reply). Now personally this shows a complete lack of respect for the player base, charging us upwards of £70 for an unfinished bug riddled game feels like robbery. And dont even get me started on the new tracks that have yet to be added ( I understand these take time but come on). Codemasters please listen to us. Fix Online, Fix the AI being overpowered, please just fix the bugs and issues and not stuff like "DRS beep is now louder".  Again, this is my own personal views. ✌️

I agree with some 

but worst game from Codemasters was f1 2015 not 2021 it has bugs but it is still fun to play to me

• Agree 2
30 minutes ago, Tomasslb24 said:

Im starting to think they are "saving" assets for the 2022 game as the sport will take a huge hit with all regulation changes.

New car is obviously the biggest one, but new car different ways of improving the car, so new R&D upgrades?

Engine freeze in 2022, will we still be able to improve our engine in the R&D?

Will MyTeam be able to copy the cost cap that will be introduced in F1?

If indeed the sprint race is added officially to certain tracks, will it be there?

There is a lot of questions about the next F1 season, not only IRL as in game. Let's just hope the game won't be so bad as the last time there was regulation changes so big. 

From F1 2013 to F1 2014 the downgrade was big, but maybe that was a mistake by codemasters to bring such hard work to F1 2013 instead of saving it for the big changes in 2014. 

Im gonna give one last chance to them in 2022, if they don't nailed it I don't know when will happen.

I agree with all your questions but we pay for f1 2021 not for waiting next year. And quite frankly, I fear they won’t be able to come up with a nice game in 2022.

2 hours ago, philappleraily said:

I agree with all your questions but we pay for f1 2021 not for waiting next year. And quite frankly, I fear they won’t be able to come up with a nice game in 2022.

I do agree that when I pay for a game I want to play the game I bought, not the game that will come out on next year. But in this occasion it was to expect that this game could have been the best F1 in years or the worst one. IMO it's not one or another, but could have been better? Definetely. Could have been worse? Yes indeed, way worse probably.

But now the only thing that we can do as a costumer is wait. Wait that more patches comes in to fix bugs and implement new things into the game such as the 3 tracks and the performance patch e.t.c and most important, wait for what's coming next year because that will be the biggest test for codemasters in recent years being the ones having that license in hands. If they fail to produce a good game, maybe a new developer should try and do something with it, even tough EA would be the most probable to get 100% out of that license if codies stepped out.

Oh and I can't remember someone talking about the fact that 2021 should have been the year where the regulations would have come. They were announced in 31 October 2019 (correct me if I'm wrong), covid was not even known here, technically 4 months after the 2019 game came out. If they have 2 separate teams working on the games, then the 2019 guys would be the one working on the different 2021 game. I dont know when does the 2019 group start working in the new game but the announcement that the regulations would be delayed only came out on 19 March 2020. So imagine starting working on a game that would be something and then everything has to be thrown out the window. I'm not even counting the fact that the 2021 regulations were announced a little later too. 

TL:DR: Be patient, wait for patches and hope next year the game improves 🙂

Edited by Tomasslb24
  • Like 2

Perfect!

Add these;

- No classic cars

- No new tracks

- Team performance from 2020

- Menus got worse

- Broadcast layout totally misaligned, one hud overlapping the other

- translation errors to portuguese (i'm brazilian)

- driving with assists can be faster than without (just look at the times on the TT)

and the list goes on…

online = broken 

my team = broken

driver career = broken

xbox users = nuclear fallout 

thrustmaster users= broken 

logitech users = broken 

fanatec users = broken 

braking point = perfectly working garbage noone wants or cares about

its been a month and a half can we please have a playable game now that doesnt make our machines explode being able to use a wheel would be real nice to i love the F1 games i own them all i understand all games have bugs and issues but this is now excessive every patch breaks more of the game but hey we can hear the drs beep now

• Thanks 1

Forums are filled of bug reports and complaints and then they have the audacity to brag about their review scores on social media as if there's nothing wrong. Starting to wonder if the higher ups even care anymore. 2020 was a downgrade from 2019 and 2021 is even worse again. Back in 2017-18 we had performance patches and car updates within a month of release and now there's no news of any of that happening any time soon. Also no news on when these new tracks are coming either. Every single mode except maybe Time Trial is broken, Xbox users are scared to play the game because their console may die, online is broken as usual, cars get launched to space or instantly spin as soon as you go near a kerb and the graphics are somehow worse than they were 2 years ago. And I'm supposed to believe this is a 9/10 game according to IGN. Essentially paid for a beta this year. Hope 2022 is worth it but it's not looking great at the moment.

• Agree 3
2 hours ago, ProvableTerror said:

Every single mode except maybe Time Trial is broken

Time trial has been broken too since last year, because someone thought it would be a good idea to remove the percentage display on the leaderboard so now you no longer can see if your in the top 10%, 20% etc 

Agree with your post 100%, especially the graphics played 2019 on Series X and it looked better than 2021.

Even simple stuff like here's just one example, 2019 actually had trees going up the hill into the final corner at Austria (like real life) but in this game they are all removed and there is a big hole. Why? what's broken that needs so much assets stripping in this years game that are making even the tracks less realisitic. Maybe that's how they'll fix the Series X overheating, they'll strip it out so its 2d eventually 

1vboauhkvcx21.thumb.jpg.7a745ac439c2b3d7f7d7277748c78d84.jpg

Edited by TomAAA

@TomAAA it isn't clear to me if your question is genuine or rhetorical. If the former, than this analysis from Digital Foundry for last year's game is still relevant and may answer why sometimes assets and textures gets sacrificed in these games. 

I don't think there's any evidence out there for them downgrading visuals out of incompetent or ill intent.

• Agree 1
20 minutes ago, marioho said:

I don't think there's any evidence out there for them downgrading visuals out of incompetent or ill intent.

More a case of how unoptimised the game is that they have to downgrade things to meet performance targets. 2021 on PC max settings is worse than what 2019 on Xbox One X was. All 2021 has going for it is ray tracing which is barely noticeable anyway. Watching shadows load in 100 meters in front of your car is quite disappointing for the 7th game on this engine, would think they'd have it sorted by now.

You mean graphically, right? What about processing hungry tasks like AI and physics engine? Did nothing change on AI behavior on wheel to wheel and on the handling model?

Digital Foundry touched on it more than once on the video. The more AI cars being simulated in the track, the more the game dials down on visuals.

I've posted it before but it bears repeating. Pop up the hood of the most advanced racing sim out there today and you'll be surprised with how limited it is AI wise. Like the AI needing to be on rails for sections of the track or how it will only focus on one car at a time. That's a resource hungry task that taxes the system and needs to share processing power with the physics engine too.

It is not fair to say F1 2021 ia a downgrade compared to a previous entry in the franchise only because a tree was (quite literally) cut from the game. I mean, yes, if you want to discuss visuals exclusively. That would not interest me much though.

iRacing and AC are not ranked on top of most sim racing ranks out there for how well they do ray tracing or how detailed and life-like their pteridophytes foliage looks.

• Agree 1

Growing up in the days off Atari... visuals are way down on my priority list...ai and general gameplay are top top priority... if codemasters sacrifice visuals to improve ai and gameplay.   So be it.... when racing at 200mph I ain’t looking at the scenery 

imo compared to other racing sims codemasters is always a step ahead off the rest when it comes to ai.

Edited by ScaredDuck
  • Agree 3

@ScaredDuck that is one aspect that I have yet to see someone from the sim racing community to speak poorly of the F1 franchise. This (AI behaviour and wheel-to-wheel racing) and the overall representation of the sport as a whole, even those that don't like the more arcadey aspects of the physics and handling of Codies' F1 games still speak highly of.

Makes it even more tragic that F1 2021 has what probably is the best AI behavior of the franchise all the while sporting one of the most egregious cases of AI-on-rails on cornering. Speaking of the AI being uncatchable on certain high speed corners.

To be honest it isn't clear to me yet if it is the scripted AI driving on cornering that wasn't handled well on some difficulties and corner types or if it is a case of overly strong rubberbanding, but whatever. If the AI topic turns up, it's a split between people talking about how they like fighting for position against them and seeing them commiting convincing mistakes or how unfair it is that the AI can turbo its way through high speed corners.

• Agree 1

Cm have always been solid on ai.. but imo from experience I have witnessed obvious rubber banding and scripting... that said it’s much more subtly done compared to other racing games... I do hate rubber banding 

even way back to toca cm ai was tracks ahead off anything else

Edited by ScaredDuck
  • Agree 1

It’s fair to say the game is a downgrade to the last entry because the AI are worse, the overall stability of the game is worse, the wheel support is worse, the car performance relative to real life is worse, the driving physics are, you guessed it, worse.

The AI are faster than what is actually possible in high speed corners and half the time they just smash into the back of each other in heavy braking zones. I used to agree that the AI were miles ahead of other games but not anymore.

Graphics are just one segment of this game that isn’t good enough. Literally every mode except Braking Point has issues. Yes they’ll probably patch it eventually but it’s not acceptable when you pay full price for what is essentially a beta build of the game.

• Agree 1

I'll check the title screen next time to make sure it says F1 2021 because damn it does not look like we're playing the same title.

Again, not trivializing those with the serious bugs and system crashings. But aside from the changes they made to save slots and practice programs on career modes, I uninstalled F1 2020 the same week as 2021 was a step ahead in every way for my personal preferences. Specially the physics and handling model.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
21 minutes ago, ProvableTerror said:

Graphics are just one segment of this game that isn’t good enough. 

Minus bugs that some are experiencing, this is still the best looking racer on consoles and by some distance. It doesn't get enough credit for the quality of the track designs and trackside details. Compared to other games it looks far better and holds quality textures for longer, I just can't buy that it's not 'good enough'. Zoom out a replay on MotoGP and tell me how it looks next to F1. Watch some of the track flybys on GT Sport and tell me how the low res textures heading off into the distance look when next to the exact same track on F1. It's barely a competition, and I love those games. 

We've unfortunately lost some of the immersive graphical touches from last year, it's something I share any disappointment about, but as the Digital Foundry pieces show these resources have likely been moved into other areas of the game, either graphically or otherwise. This balance needs to be struck with the current generation of the engine, hopefully not for much longer. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I care about what I notice when actually driving, not replays or photo mode. As such my only graphical complaint is the pop-in of details and shadows. I would prefer lower detail levels and/or resolution that prevented this. The fact something changes always draws attention in a way the a lower quality but unchanging asset does not.

The above aside, as someone who has been gaming for around 35 years I can still find myself thinking just how stunning the game looks.

Edited by Ultra3142
  • Agree 2
On 8/24/2021 at 9:41 AM, KNT2011 said:

You can't take Monza like a lunatic as per:

1622863982_ScreenShot2021-08-24at08_38_46.png.28e5102b8f1847b88d42eca633527391.png

Practice!

Pretty easy talking coming from someone who uses all assists and thus can attack kerbs way more aggressive then people without TC, Auto gears and ABS, and doesn’t know what ACTUALLY happens. You’re constantly beeing saved by TC or ABS when you go wild. 

sorry, just can’t stand people who yell those things while they themselves drive with all the trainingwheels on and have ZERO experience or knowledge how the car behaves without assists. 

• Disagree 1