Jump to content Jump to content

Major Steering Issues Leading to Unplayable Game [Controller - Xbox One]

• A detailed description of the issue.
    • When cornering using the standard Xbox One controller, the game can sometimes cause the car to "wander" from what you are doing. When on full-lock, the steering can sometimes centralise; when on a straight, the steering occasionally wanders to the left. As a result, it can take countless flashbacks in order to get through one corner, and add to race time (a race at Monaco (total time 105mins 58secs) took over three and a half hours to finish due to the need for so many flashbacks due to steering loss). It happens intermittently, and is making the came completely unplayable at times. This is becoming a major issue with the game and making it really unenjoyable.
  • Report Code
    • BCST-AKTE-CCCT-GXEG (#1)
    • SSAS-JRAH-XSBT-GSEG (#2)
  • Platform?
    • Xbox One
  • Game-mode?
    • MyTeam Career Mode
    • Time Trial
    • Grand Prix
    • There may be others but I ended up giving up
  • [ONLINE] The amount of players in your session? If you know the players forum username, please tag as many people who were in your session here.
    • N/A
  • [ONLINE] Were you the host?
    • N/A
  • What troubleshooting have you tried? Please list everything you tried.
    • Changing batteries
    • Changing remotes
    • Changing remotes and using wired connection to the console
    • Turning the remote off and on
    • Turning the console off and on
    • Complete shutdown of console and back on
    • Checked for updates on console and controller - all up-to-date
  • Any screenshots or video of the issue? Remember to add as unlisted if video via a third party. 
  • How do you make the problem happen? Please add a step-by-step guide here so we can replicate and get reported as quick as possible.
    • There's no way to force the problem to happen, it occurs when least expected and causes the car to veer to one side

Report Reposted Due to Other One Not Being Responded To and Issue Persisting. Additional Questions Answered from Previous Post:

Is your console and controller up to date and have the latest firmware? Also, please post your controller calibration and vibration settings? Are you using a custom control scheme? Do you have a wired connection for your controller to test?

• Console and controller are showing no available updates after refresh so don't think this is the cause of the issue
  • Control scheme is standard Xbox Wireless Controller Preset 1 in-game and no amendments made in the settings menu.
  • Calibration all default (0 for Steering Deadzone/Linearity/Saturation, Throttle Deadzone/Linearity/Saturation and Brake Deadzone/Linearity/Saturation)
  • Vibration Settings On, Strength 100, On Track Effects 100, Rumble Strip Effects 100, Off Track Effects 100, Wheel Damper 50, Understeer Enhance On, Maximum Wheel Rotation 360

Do you experience any issues with the controller in any other games?

I've not noticed any, never had the issue in F1 2019 or 2020 (and not currently experiencing the issue either), nor other EA-hosted games (i.e. FIFA21).

• Like 1
  • Administrator

Great report @KieranFifield.

Its a strange one, as I run on Xbox usually and have not ran into this problem. I suspect a bit of clipping on your settings potentially.

• Vibration Settings On, Strength 100, On Track Effects 100, Rumble Strip Effects 100, Off Track Effects 100, Wheel Damper 50, Understeer Enhance On, Maximum Wheel Rotation 360

For me, this is too heavy, turn the 100's down to around 70, Damper down to about 30, and understeer enhance to 'Off'. 

Changing to this may help

Just to add to the curiosity of the incident @BarryBL progressed to Italy after the DNF at Zandvoort due to the issue and Italy is showing no sign of the issue??? So far I've had it happen at Azerbaijan, Silverstone and Netherlands that I can definitely remember, there may have been others (I think Monaco was problematic)

• Administrator
14 minutes ago, Kieran Fifield said:

Just to add to the curiosity of the incident @BarryBL progressed to Italy after the DNF at Zandvoort due to the issue and Italy is showing no sign of the issue??? So far I've had it happen at Azerbaijan, Silverstone and Netherlands that I can definitely remember, there may have been others (I think Monaco was problematic)

It is strange. Is it in certain corners, or across a lap. Issue is, we've not seen this reported elsewhere, the examples show some detail (but we can't guarantee your inputs on screen) and currently replicating is going to be nearly impossible. I play the games a lot, and have never ran into this on pad or wheel. 

23 minutes ago, BarryBL said:

It is strange. Is it in certain corners, or across a lap. Issue is, we've not seen this reported elsewhere, the examples show some detail (but we can't guarantee your inputs on screen) and currently replicating is going to be nearly impossible. I play the games a lot, and have never ran into this on pad or wheel. 

Yeah it's strange, others I know seem not to be having an issue, so I uninstalled and then reinstalled the game to rule out corruption in download but the issue persists. It seems more prevalent in certain corners than others, mainly those with a right-hand turn, but can be noticed across a lap. Inputs are standard to the racing line (I know much can't be said about my word but I can give that much), so the centralised steering is an issue rather than an input - if you know of a way that I can provide some video or evidence of the inputs then I would be more than happy to?

I completely get the replication concern - it would be virtually impossible if I am the only one running this small issue. Like you, I play the games a lot (and have done for countless years on end, although always on a controller), and it's the first time an issue like this has appeared and it's just the niggle that is so annoying 😅 As I said in my thread reply just before you replied, it seems completely okay at Italy for some strange reason, but when I return to Zandvoort it appears again????? Your guess is as good as mine.

If you fancy buying me a new console to fix the issue @BarryBL...... 😉 But in all seriousness, and I don't imagine this is 100% the underlying cause, but I have had this console for a long period of time so there is a potential for it to be a controller issue predominantly, but I don't quite get how it replicates on other controllers but not other consoles?

Weird, any ideas or input appreciated 🙂 

• Administrator

Longshot question here, but is it more prevalent in longer corners, ones that traditionally need more downforce and a longer standing input. Also, to confirm, it replicates on all controllers you have tried on, but never on another console. Just want to make sure of that one. 

Noticed that it usually happens when you're trying to turn or veer right. Nothing fishy happens when you test the input on the Calibration Settings? That Test Buttons or something function where you can press any button and the game will show you a numerical representation of the input it is perceiving.

Try mimicking how you'd turn into a slow corner (full lock with a quick flick of the analog stick, both sides), a medium speed corner (a gradual flick of the analog stick up to full steering lock, both sides) and a fast corner (short and smooth, gentle flick, both sides). Sexual overtone aside, maybe you'll spot an erratic input here and there. This usually means a worn or faulty controller.

Just a side note, not all games deal with inputs the same. Some process them 1:1, to the despair of those with worn devices. Others try to smooth out potential erratic inputs by averaging the value over a short time frame. Hence why you may notice the issue on F1 2021 but not on, say, FIFA or Overwatch.

22 hours ago, BarryBL said:

Tag me in your response or It might not get to my door. Lot of people on here at the moment and I want to see what happens here.

Am I the only one who found this incredibly cute, romantic even? 🥰

• Administrator

It might be that your wheel rotation is 360 degrees you know!

Rare brainwave but with a wheel makes sense, that doesn't on controller. In reality, you may actually need 270 possibly. How often do you do a complete rotation of a controller stick in a racing game. Never really. Maybe at the hairpin, but thats about it. 

38 minutes ago, BarryBL said:

It might be that your wheel rotation is 360 degrees you know!

Rare brainwave but with a wheel makes sense, that doesn't on controller. In reality, you may actually need 270 possibly. How often do you do a complete rotation of a controller stick in a racing game. Never really. Maybe at the hairpin, but thats about it. 

Definitely turn the steering angle down as Barry says, also have a look at steering saturation as that can make the inputs a lot stronger. 

3 hours ago, BarryBL said:

Longshot question here, but is it more prevalent in longer corners, ones that traditionally need more downforce and a longer standing input. Also, to confirm, it replicates on all controllers you have tried on, but never on another console. Just want to make sure of that one. 

Sorry mate was out with the dogs... Definitely longer corners (i.e. at Zandvoort, the issue kicks in T1, T6, T14) although there is a hint of it in shorter corners at times (but far more infrequently). It replicates on the controllers I've tried, but my brother hasn't got the issue (so I've tried his controller on my Xbox and it does the thing, whereas he doesn't have the issue his end). It's one of the most bizarre issues I've seen @BarryBL

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, marioho said:

Noticed that it usually happens when you're trying to turn or veer right. Nothing fishy happens when you test the input on the Calibration Settings? That Test Buttons or something function where you can press any button and the game will show you a numerical representation of the input it is perceiving.

Try mimicking how you'd turn into a slow corner (full lock with a quick flick of the analog stick, both sides), a medium speed corner (a gradual flick of the analog stick up to full steering lock, both sides) and a fast corner (short and smooth, gentle flick, both sides). Sexual overtone aside, maybe you'll spot an erratic input here and there. This usually means a worn or faulty controller.

Just a side note, not all games deal with inputs the same. Some process them 1:1, to the despair of those with worn devices. Others try to smooth out potential erratic inputs by averaging the value over a short time frame. Hence why you may notice the issue on F1 2021 but not on, say, FIFA or Overwatch.

Am I the only one who found this incredibly cute, romantic even? 🥰

You may be on to something there - definitely a blip when trying the medium flick of the analogue stick, there's a small jump in the steering input when - funnily enough - turning right, although that's only when going from left to right, rather than just to the right where the issue tends to be (except for S3 Azerbaijan). This would be the cause of the brief flash back to the central steering, although hard to depict why controllers are doing it on my Xbox and the same controllers don't have the issue on another?? Above all else, this is the most bizarre issue. And likewise, the issue isn't prevalent at all tracks (i.e. Parabolica isn't an issue but Arie Luyenduk Bocht is)

And yes, @BarryBLdid come across rather romantic, a very loving side of him has emerged in this thread 🥰

Edited by Kieran Fifield
  • Like 1

Any can of compressed air or a firm fine brush lying around for some quick debris cleaning? If there's dust, grime or the like lodged in there it could lead to these spotty hiccups.

Now why the issue arises on your Xbox but not on others, could be it just coming down to the nature of these spotty faults. Like how that pesky USB cable that gives you a clear connection 9 out of 10 times just to give you a headache for a whole weekend before getting back to work "ok".

2 minutes ago, marioho said:

Any can of compressed air or a firm fine brush lying around for some quick debris cleaning? If there's dust, grime or the like lodged in there it could lead to these spotty hiccups.

Now why the issue arises on your Xbox but not on others, could be it just coming down to the nature of these spotty faults. Like how that pesky USB cable that gives you a clear connection 9 out of 10 times just to give you a headache for a whole weekend before getting back to work "ok".

Happy to give it a try, got some compressed air somewhere. Best places to get inside to do some cleaning?