Jump to content Jump to content

Absolutely ZERO overtakes between AI in F2 races. Extremely boring!

Decided to start a career with a full F2 season and 100% races in order to wait while all bugs are fixed, performance patch is released and also the new tracks (yes, I'm a dreamer).

The problem is that the races are so boring as F1 races in the rain. Even with DRS, any AI driver is able to overtake! And I'm talking about Bahrein first race, with those long straights.

I'm on 95 difficulty, by the way. Don't know if it matters.

Actually, not a bad idea to stay in touch with F1 2021, rather than shelving it right now because the game does currently not live up to ones expectation (der Schneehase looks below where formerly his signature was - hmmm, something is missing there, isnt it). 

But it is a bit like with the historic F1 cars we had previously: If as a developer you try to squeeze too much into one game, you may end up with 3 possible racing games in one game on the one side, but with no decent racing content on the other side. Recently, we had a "surprise" F2 race in the forum championships - these cars are by no means fun or let alone easy to drive. Their ability to downshift is limited / linked to engine revs, especially so when you want to switch down in a breaking zone, down from the highest gear. You have to break very long staying in the highest gear, before you can actually downshift at all - this needs quite getting used to, to say the least. I would really like to read the opinion of any current IRL F2 driver, if this behaviour was anywhere near reality.

If in addition you find the AI boresome, then where would you find the motivation to play through an F2 season. Wouldnt it be better Codemasters made a better F1 2022 game dropping the F2 cars, than keeping them, and nobody really plays them anyway (see multiplayer with F2, e.g., see leagues, etc.) and may it only be, because the "real" 2021 F2 cars arrive in autumn 2021 in the game at best. Give me a decently working F1 game without all these flaws we got at the moment, working multiplayer, the tracks so you can play a season that is somewhat close to reality (double headers same tracks, supplemental tracks etc) and I happily renounce historic cars, short tracks (though the ones driven IRL F1 be nice at least), F2 cars, story mode and all that "padding"...

• Agree 1

I had a similar issue in Baku.  In my F2 career Schumacher and Tsunoda are the fastest and finished 1-2 in the feature race after I had a mechanic DNF with 4 laps to go while leading the race by 4 seconds (104 AI if that matters).  Those two finished about 12-14 seconds ahead of the rest of the field in a 100% race.  Then in the sprint race they failed to overtake anybody and finished 6-7 because 2 cars ahead DNF’d and I managed to climb up from 21st to 2nd by the end of the race.  Honestly, I think the issue is that all the ai run the same downforce levels so they end up getting stuck in DRS trains and can’t seem to make overtakes.  At Spain though, Mick and Yuki were able to get back to 2nd and 3rd in the sprint race after starting 6th and 7th.  I ran like 4-6 wings and was like 5 mph faster than the AI through the speed trap but only took pole by .150 seconds at Baku so I know the AI level was set just about right for my pace. 

Yep I had the same thing. 

I like to do a full F2 season before starting the MyTeam mode. I usually sign whoever wins the F2 championship (or comes near the top) as my teammate. 

This years F2 is ridiculously boring. It nearly always just ends up with a DRS train of cars following eachother. I only saw overtakes on tracks like Spa where the main straight is super long, even then it was rare. 

I think it's a case of poor AI, the drivers being too closely matched in terms of their ratings, and all cars being the same because F2. 

Either way it felt like a slog to get through. Definitely needs updating

• Agree 1

Well there goes me playing f2 or any wet f1 races as I absolutely hate this ai of just train behaviour it just so poor/lazy programming. Seriously considering redownloading 19 . I know they were probably to much overtakes with the op slip stream but I remember the f2 been decent in 19 and ai could pass in rain , classic cars, and no stupid cheesy story....

• Agree 1
13 minutes ago, Naxlr said:

Well there goes me playing f2 or any wet f1 races as I absolutely hate this ai of just train behaviour it just so poor/lazy programming. Seriously considering redownloading 19 . I know they were probably to much overtakes with the op slip stream but I remember the f2 been decent in 19 and ai could pass in rain , classic cars, and no stupid cheesy story....

That’s exactly what I’ve done too. Ended up uninstalling F1 2021 earlier on after coming across a bug where Jeff didn’t want to talk to me at all during the race, no pit stop warnings or any communication at all and I’m pretty sure it wasn’t a intended fault, it happened after coming back to a mid session save where Jeff worked fine before, just not after.  Just said to myself I’m done with it and will shelve it until the new tracks are added and there’s been plenty of patches to iron out the creases.

Gone back to F1 2019 and as much as I hate the old ERS implementation, Im enjoying it a lot more.  …Plus it has better 🌳🌳🌳😬

They do say that you need to be two seconds a lap faster than the other driver in order to overtake.  In identical machinery, that's extremely unlikely as it's purely down to driver ratings, which F2 doesn't lend itself to as Racecraft and Pace stats are pants so they don't really go for moves. 

If they had alternate strategies then you'd see it as the tyre offset would account for the pace difference but everyone does the same thing really regarding the tyres so it's a procession. 

One thing to consider is that there isn't always that much overtaking in F2 anyway. It's exciting and close paced but I went to Silverstone and exempting the usual pit stop cold-tyre vs warm tyre out-lap issue, there really wasn't much going on til Verschoor tried taking Piastri at the end.  Next race is at Monza so guess slipstreaming will be a bigger thing there so try to see if much happens there as the average speeds are higher than at Bahrain. 

F2 is just a back of the box feature and enables driver move's (poorly) . But the actual mode is just lazy has been since 19. No variation in strategy is the main issue. has been suggested to them for years but absolutely zero effort just pure copy and paste . 

I agree with all of this and I know I have asked several times about having alternative strategies since f2 was introduced but there is never a reply and f2 is exactly the same as when it was added to the game with the 2018 season