Jump to content Jump to content

Codemasters have just killed off league racing

Waiting for the dog to finish his business, gave a few clicks on twitter looking for more info.

Apparently, one of the reasons for this delay between builds:

image.png.3efa3cec2fb9f4ca453c9021f6932b15.png

Someone from the Premier Sim Gaming Leagues – PSGL, an unofficial league where Jarno Opmeer also competes, has released this communication earlier today. Highlights:

[...] PSGL’s position is quite clear - we agree that there isn’t enough communication from Codemasters nor is there enough support since our rise to the top of league racing at the start of F1 2020. We agree that Codemasters’ inability to have a patch ready until the Autumn is inexcusable given the game was released in July.

We hope these things are rectified and at least addressed in the future as ultimately we all want the same thing moving forward - a better community for everyone, esports driver or average league racer. Communication is key.

We agree and feel, unfortunately, despite it negatively impacting PSGL, that it would also be unfair on the Esports drivers not to get the new handling for a couple of months - like the public, because the Pro Series is expected to start in Autumn and thus there would be a limited amount of time to prepare for the season ahead.

The reasons for the decision to give the Esports teams/drivers the update earlier than the public are completely acceptable (practice time, handling testing, AI not fully ready), but again, if this was communicated clearly then I think everyone would have completely understood, especially to PSGL directly given that we have over 20 Esports-linked drivers in our top tier.

One aspect of this that does need to be addressed is the topic of Codemasters, in particular Dan Hawkins, who has been attacked for his potential involvement. The rhetoric currently is that they (Dan especially) don’t want league racing to succeed, or at least, PSGL given the unprecedented growth that we have enjoyed since July is a potential threat. [...]

The manager at Veloce Esports also expressed his view on the issue:

image.thumb.png.0255b4e27a845f9ebc45c5a7b06c6eb3.png

As a side note, Veloce also has real racing teams competing at the all-female single seater W Series and one in the Extreme E series – the same championship where Nico Rosberg and Lewis Hamilton have their own teams competing.  

The major tweet alluding to an October release date for the general public that I read yesterday was from these other account, LRN:

image.png.71f0065a450a46647adc5c18898789cb.png

They got back at Tague from Veloce:

image.png.cc579ffc767dffedab5868b759e28c7b.png

Also from them:

image.png.256465b3678a48219603b5b6cd83b016.png

A couple other polemical tweets from the guy (or 16 old kid?):

Edit: Regardless of the pot stirring, I still think that the decision to roll out the new handling build for the official F1 Esports Series was wrong. Whether they did it because it was mostly done or because they did indeed wanted to collect esports players feedback to further improve the build on the next development sprint before general release, it was wrong. 

If the former, it would split the competitive scene. If the latter, that's a task for internal testing and QA, it makes no sense to have the official esports series running on a test build. They could still have esports players feedback while beta testing the build.

Now this supposedly 16 years old trying to throw shade at David Greco that's just ridiculous. This is David Greco:

The game's handling is far, far from perfect but this is no amateur coming up with things out of their backside. 

Edited by marioho

Wow, the personal shots directed at David Greco is harsh and uncalled for. Everyone has a right to voice their opinion about the game but to take personal shots is too much and doesn’t help anything IMO. 

• Agree 4

Honestly, implementing the new floor downforce feature is probably the worst decision they've made so far. 

I get it that they probably wanted to use this year's game as a testing ground for the upcoming ground effect car downforce model, but even though I personally don't really have much issue with the current driving physics, I still think they shouldn't have change what's been working so well last year and just fine-tune it to perfection. 

What's happening now is that most people seem to hate the new physic model, and the new model is much more problematic, and now they needed to waste precious time and resources to sort it out, which originally could be use to improve the features or fixing other bugs of the game instead.

Right now it's just a lose-lose situation for almost everyone, bad move. 

• Agree 1
7 minutes ago, qn999 said:

Wow, the personal shots directed at David Greco is harsh and uncalled for. Everyone has a right to voice their opinion about the game but to take personal shots is too much and doesn’t help anything IMO. 

The £75 hole in my wallet is crying for him.

10 minutes ago, RLLL said:

The £75 hole in my wallet is crying for him.

I understand that and of course, you are entitled to get your money’s worth and you haven’t. But personally attacking someone by name puts a target on their backs. This is a real human being with a family…and F1 is a video game. Take shots at CM all you want but I just think it’s going to far to personally call him out. 

I didn’t mean you…just in general about personal attacks.

Edited by qn999
  • Agree 1

The handling model this year actually allows you to catch and save the car which is an improvement, no doubt this will be changed for the worse, i'm getting 2019 vibes again.

If the esports people like Veloce are basically 'saying we know best' and they are the people that Codies are listening to, expect to see the return of the awful 50% Brake bias again and all the other weird stuff return

Edited by TomAAA
  • Agree 1
19 minutes ago, TomAAA said:

If the esports people like Veloce are basically 'saying we know best' and they are the people that Codies are listening to, expect to see the return of the awful 50% Brake bias again and all the other weird stuff return

Why do say that? Honest question.

When I first got into these games I watched a few videos from Veloce. I remember them getting the fundamentals right, how this or that affect the handling, how assists work and so on. Which is leaves ahead of other popular F1 channels that to this day don't know how toe in and toe out work.

Edit: to clarify I have long stopped following Veloce as I wasn't getting many more videos on the technical aspects of racing, only those gameplay highlights that do not interest me. I was even surprised when spotted their livery on W Series and Extreme E, didn't know they were expanding like that.

Edited by marioho

I've just seen the statement by Codemasters on this subject.

First of all, I'm happy they finally spoke out at all, took them long enough. At least there is some communication, but this statement is just embarrassing. 

As it seems, the update will NOT be removed from the Esports build, and they essentially just stated everything that was already well known. Again, no ETA given, but not surprised anymore. Not the slightest bit of an apology to league racers, admins or  all customers. Shameful, only made it worse to be honest.

Do better Codemasters, just name the reasons for the delay (AI whatsver), BUT YOU DIDNT EVEN DO THAT.

• Agree 7

Codies' tweet linking to their official forum post:

What they're saying, (1) performance update to rebalance the cars performance and (2) minor tweaks to the handling model to remove an unrealistic element on low speed cornering.

At this point I gotta ask what were players reaction to the update and what were players reacting to third party accounts of the update and release schedule. Yesterday's tweets made it like if there were some serious changes made to the driving model.

3 minutes ago, ReimvomSchleim said:

I've just seen the statement by Codemasters on this subject.

First of all, I'm happy they finally spoke out at all, took them long enough. At least there is some communication, but this statement is just embarrassing. 

As it seems, the update will NOT be removed from the Esports build, and they essentially just stated everything that was already well known. Again, no ETA given, but not surprised anymore. Not the slightest bit of an apology to league racers, admins or  all customers. Shameful, only made it worse to be honest.

Do better Codemasters, just name the reasons for the delay (AI whatsver), BUT YOU DIDNT EVEN DO THAT.

Nailed it. Codemasters stating the obvious as always.

And I hate how Jenny is the one that needs to speak out to the public about this when she probably has the least responsibility for the mistakes. Nothing from Greco since the Beta. Barry is gone? The other devs or managers are silent too.

• Agree 3

It's really good to see the update from Codemasters, which actually includes some information on what is going on. Hurrah! I really hope the last 24 hours makes them realise that leaving everyone in the dark can cause problems.

The main change sounds like the expected one to help make in-game times closer to real F1. I wonder what the low speed cornering change relates to though? Drifting?

Edited by Ultra3142
1 hour ago, TomAAA said:

The handling model this year actually allows you to catch and save the car which is an improvement,

Yes the ability to do this is a major improvement which I've noticed too.

• Agree 1
1 hour ago, DRTApophis said:

What's happening now is that most people seem to hate the new physic model

I really don't think this is true. Both on this forum and elsewhere I've seen a lot of people praising the handling this year as an improvement over last year.

From my own low-skill perspective, I prefer it.

• Agree 1
1 hour ago, marioho said:

Codies' tweet linking to their official forum post:

What they're saying, (1) performance update to rebalance the cars performance and (2) minor tweaks to the handling model to remove an unrealistic element on low speed cornering.

At this point I gotta ask what were players reaction to the update and what were players reacting to third party accounts of the update and release schedule. Yesterday's tweets made it like if there were some serious changes made to the driving model.

Thank you for sharing it 👍

Any further info in the socials (by anyone of the actors, pro drivers etc.) about that “unrealistic element on low speed cornering”? 🤔

5 minutes ago, Nuvolarix said:

Thank you for sharing it 👍

Any further info in the socials (by anyone of the actors, pro drivers etc.) about that “unrealistic element on low speed cornering”? 🤔

They mean drifting around corners to get the fastest times. Lock the back wheels up and swing the car around corners. Very unrealistic.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, RLLL said:

They mean drifting around corners to get the fastest times. Lock the back wheels up and swing the car around corners. Very unrealistic.

Presumably this wears the tyres out quickly and so is just a TT/qualifying issue?

• Agree 1
55 minutes ago, Ultra3142 said:

I really don't think this is true. Both on this forum and elsewhere I've seen a lot of people praising the handling this year as an improvement over last year.

From my own low-skill perspective, I prefer it.

Can't say I prefer it, but I enjoyed both handlings just as much, in different ways. 

Funny how after getting used to this year's handling, I went back to 2020 and realized just how much easier that game was, and drove at a level I've never been able to do so before. It was fascinating.

Edited by DRTApophis
  • Like 3
2 minutes ago, Ultra3142 said:

Presumably this wears the tyres out quickly and so is just a TT/qualifying issue?

I think the issue is more when have you ever seen an F1 car do that purposely?

2 minutes ago, Ultra3142 said:

I wasn't suggesting it wasn't an issue 🙂. Just thinking through the full picture.

Locks ups and puffs of smoke off the tyres do less damage to them than you think. I could swear that flat spots were mentioned for this game or shown in a video etc, until that comes the lock ups probably just add temperature.