Jump to content Jump to content

What are your opinions about this year's game?

Hi everyone. I ve been buying f1 series every year and its been my favourite racing game, but Im alarmed by cm beeing bought by ea. I think things will change soon, and I dont know if they have already worked on f1 2021. I have already quit buying every ea game, if they touched this game with one finger it may be garbish. Here's what I want to know the most:

1. How is the ai? They used to be fantastic, fast and fair, they battled for position with overtaking and defensive manouvres with the player and each other, did some mistakes, respected our position while beeing fast, etc.. They were smart and challenging, close to what a human would do. I dont see ea making nothing of this.

2. Driving and gameplay. I love codemaster and ea has the worst gameplay on sports games imo, period.

3. Real life similarities. Dont asking to be perfect, but Cm racing games feels like racing, every ea sports game feels like something else.

Anything else you think is relevant, good or bad, much apreciated, I usually wouldnt ask for anything and trust cm, but I hate ea games very bad and dont want to wast money. Thanks

Edited by Protomorph

Hasn’t been touched by ea...  there is a great game here however a lot off people are having serious issues... Xbox and online users namely... I use ps5 play offline and I love it. 

Ai is great.. much better than last year. gameplay is great... handling I’m indifferent about... some like, some hate.

personally I’d wait 3 months until most issues are cleaned up

Omg I did, didn’t i... I said if I really said it...  i 💕 it

Edited by ScaredDuck
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

Well these forums do come in handy for seeing how real people judge the game and not the biased game review sites..

After seeing all the negative comments i have been put off buying this years game, maybe get it when the next years game comes out and is dirt cheaper.

Having bought 2015 game i vowed never to buy another full priced codemasters game until it had a few patches and was on sale, am so glad i stuck to my principles.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1
23 minutes ago, audacious said:

Well these forums do come in handy for seeing how real people judge the game and not the biased game review sites..

After seeing all the negative comments i have been put off buying this years game, maybe get it when the next years game comes out and is dirt cheaper.

Having bought 2015 game i vowed never to buy another full priced codemasters game until it had a few patches and was on sale, am so glad i stuck to my principles.

I do the same thing with all games now... only reason I bought this game on release is cause I got my hands on a ps5 same week the game was released and wanted the newest game to play on it.. and just so happens I wanted this game aswell

• Thanks 1

Well here’s an opinion from someone who actually knows what they’re on about. 

1. AI are a mess. Impossible to match them in high speed corners and they crash all the time making racing them a waste of time.

2. Handling isn’t that bad apart from kerbs being very dangerous and the cars being miles faster than real life. They’re also changing the handling model in October because they for some reason needed an extra 3 months for that.

3. As I said above, the cars are so much faster than real life. And the car performance between teams is still based on 2020 even though the season started 5 months ago. Online is still a mess and Two Player career, despite being a brand new mode, has received no support at all post launch.

Would be very easy to blame EA but they’ve had nothing to do with this game. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 5

Well real gp this weekend and the official game doesn't really replicate it at all really. Wrong car/teams performance, ai will be setting time way faster than they will today irl, bugs with ai etc. So pretty much sums up the state of this game currently...And by sounds of it these problems looking to be still around for 3 months yet ..... So yea not acceptable really.....

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 2
4 minutes ago, Ultra3142 said:

Not sure why everyone keeps talking about 3 months. Jarno said 1.5 months and other posts said 'October', the end of which is 2 months away.

Not that anything is guaranteed right now of course.

I defer to you on this.  I read somewhere 3 months but as you know internet is often wrong... and your always on point with such matters

Edited by ScaredDuck
  • Agree 1
Just now, ScaredDuck said:

I defer to you on this.  I read somewhere 3 months but as you know internet is often wrong... 

I think it stemmed from someone reading October and then deciding as it's currently August this clearly means a 3 month wait. Then this keeps being repeated.

I never thought I'd need to be explaining how the calendar works to people on the internet, but here we are 🤣.

• Haha 1
  • Disagree 1
2 hours ago, Ultra3142 said:

how about you have a go at constructively replying to something I've written rather than just giving it a thumbs down? Bear in mind that not liking a fact doesn't make it wrong...

Please do not feed the trolls was something that I used to see on forums all the time.  I sense it's repetitive fishing so just don't bite, but it's not just you that is a recipient of it. I guess nothing will be done about it as, currently, there's no reason to explain dislikes.  Potentially a way of improving the forum is to have reasons for negative reactions.

For example; 'this post was disliked for; (and then you have radio buttons) Misinformation, Distasteful, Etc.

To answer the thread title, it’s ****!

I haven’t really experienced many of the bugs people complain about, but it’s just so incomplete as a game, it doesn’t represent the 2021 season at all. They’ve taken stuff away rather than moved forwards from last year. I have had every game in the series on ps3/ps4 and this is easily the most disappointing.

• Thanks 1
15 hours ago, Ultra3142 said:

Not sure why everyone keeps talking about 3 months

Well the game came out in July, then we're forced to wait till October for a handling model that should've been in the game from release. Looks like 3 months to me

• Like 1
23 hours ago, ProvableTerror said:

Well here’s an opinion from someone who actually knows what they’re on about. 

1. AI are a mess. Impossible to match them in high speed corners and they crash all the time making racing them a waste of time.

Are we playing the same game?

I barely get a yellow flag in a race, let alone an actual AI retirement1275584583_F12021_20210731213943.thumb.png.5995da39e73141e7d0e1d74b399f6e61.png

• Thanks 1
5 hours ago, ProvableTerror said:

Well the game came out in July, then we're forced to wait till October for a handling model that should've been in the game from release. Looks like 3 months to me

Ah, yes, that's a different way to look at it but not the way most have been presenting this here recently. 

16 hours ago, Blent said:

Are we playing the same game?

I had a wet race in Zandvoort with 9 AI DNFs. You've got the US with 10 DNFs on that very same screenshot XD

My thoughts on the game after comparing it to F1 2020 back to back: it's very, very undercooked. AI is more aggressive and racey, but far too inconsistent across the board. In F1 2020 AI was passive, but a lot more tightly balanced in terms of their pace. The physics feel kinda nice, but they're very punishing and unforgiving. A smallest mistake can cost you a complete loss of control in a split second. F1 2020 feels like this game does with medium TC and ABS on, plus smoother steering. At least on a controller. I just get a lot more confidence to push the car to its limit. Real life similarities I'm not gonna touch with a 10-foot pole.

Overall, F1 2020 was a lot more polished and complete experience, pleasant in almost every way. Here, the only thing that is up to snuff is Braking Point, which nobody cares about. Everything else is either controversial, unbalanced, underdeveloped, glitchy or just outright broken.

PS Feedback on the DualSense is a lot better than it was on DualShock 4. That's about the only unquestionable improvement I can think about.

Edited by CityGhostGamer
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 2
On 8/28/2021 at 9:33 AM, audacious said:

well It is not that easy I think. I mean, when does someone potential write something in a forum? Right, if he has a problem or something annyoing happens (some people need this complaining for themselves). It is part of the nature, that people discuss more about bad things, then about good things. It is the same with news. 

So overall I don't think the count of complaining posts is a good value for answering the threads question. The Author should look on the most constructiv posts here (in this forum). Some started complaining again and exaggerate while other are quiet objectivly in this forum.

Nevertheless I understand, that this games can frustate some people. It is true that there are some fast-AI-corners, where their speed can be much higher than yours. It is true that handling is not easy this year, BUT I like it (and others do, too). It is true that curbs are more difficult this year. If you like it or not depends on you. How riding over the curbs feels like, depends on how you set up the car and your driving style (and how much you like to spend time in setups etc.). So some people don't have a problem with them. And some have and are complaining. And here again: Who do think is writing a post in a forum? The one who is happy with the car handling and physics at all or the one who is not able to handle it? :P

It is true that the overall pace in this game is very high. Depends how good you are, you can drive faster then real life times. Especially with developing the car in career.

The car performance is not that bad this year. For sure it is not perfect, Red Bull should be a bit quicker, to match up Mercedes but behind it, it is quiet okay. Aston Martin could be a way slower.

Some mentioned that Bottas is still overpowered in this game.

Coop Career is a new mode which makes a lot of fun for me and my friend. If its nothing for you, because you want to play alone, then this is not an argument.

Breaking Point is interesting and has quiet good cutscenes (i wished there where some of them in career mode etc). I stopped this story mode afters some races, because some objectives where not that realistic and didn't fit to my difficulty (sometimes I was way quicker then the top cars). Here, their are different openions about the game. I think the most of us wished more focus on the main things of a racing games itself like handling, AI, damage modes, career mode etc then on the story mode. 

The AI aggresivness is a quiet controversal topic. For me it is getting better every year. I want a AI that is aggressive, that defends the position, that tries to attack you when there is a chance. You really have to be careful, for sure. But if you are a clean driver and if you are able to let someone pass, when he attacks you, you can have very much fun with the AI. Some people are not able to handle their behavior and are not able to accept when they got overtaken. I had some good races with them. Depends on your attitute on track. For sure here is improvement too. In rain the AI seems to be very defensive and could have problems with overtaking. Some mentioned that they don't overtake often. 

Bugs? Difficult to say, for me. I have the feeling that the most bugs where mentioned on PC. On my Ps4 I only had one bug, which is already fixed. Nothing more. But like @audaciousmentioned, in this time it is often better to wait some time with buying the game after release until the most bugs are solved. Sadly but true. 

This are some thoughts, I hope they help you. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1
1 hour ago, DonBlanko said:

well It is not that easy I think. I mean, when does someone potential write something in a forum? Right, if he has a problem or something annyoing happens (some people need this complaining for themselves). It is part of the nature, that people discuss more about bad things, then about good things. It is the same with news. 

So overall I don't think the count of complaining posts is a good value for answering the threads question. The Author should look on the most constructiv posts here (in this forum). Some started complaining again and exaggerate while other are quiet objectivly in this forum.

Nevertheless I understand, that this games can frustate some people. It is true that there are some fast-AI-corners, where their speed can be much higher than yours. It is true that handling is not easy this year, BUT I like it (and others do, too). It is true that curbs are more difficult this year. If you like it or not depends on you. How riding over the curbs feels like, depends on how you set up the car and your driving style (and how much you like to spend time in setups etc.). So some people don't have a problem with them. And some have and are complaining. And here again: Who do think is writing a post in a forum? The one who is happy with the car handling and physics at all or the one who is not able to handle it? 😛

It is true that the overall pace in this game is very high. Depends how good you are, you can drive faster then real life times. Especially with developing the car in career.

The car performance is not that bad this year. For sure it is not perfect, Red Bull should be a bit quicker, to match up Mercedes but behind it, it is quiet okay. Aston Martin could be a way slower.

Some mentioned that Bottas is still overpowered in this game.

Coop Career is a new mode which makes a lot of fun for me and my friend. If its nothing for you, because you want to play alone, then this is not an argument.

Breaking Point is interesting and has quiet good cutscenes (i wished there where some of them in career mode etc). I stopped this story mode afters some races, because some objectives where not that realistic and didn't fit to my difficulty (sometimes I was way quicker then the top cars). Here, their are different openions about the game. I think the most of us wished more focus on the main things of a racing games itself like handling, AI, damage modes, career mode etc then on the story mode. 

The AI aggresivness is a quiet controversal topic. For me it is getting better every year. I want a AI that is aggressive, that defends the position, that tries to attack you when there is a chance. You really have to be careful, for sure. But if you are a clean driver and if you are able to let someone pass, when he attacks you, you can have very much fun with the AI. Some people are not able to handle their behavior and are not able to accept when they got overtaken. I had some good races with them. Depends on your attitute on track. For sure here is improvement too. In rain the AI seems to be very defensive and could have problems with overtaking. Some mentioned that they don't overtake often. 

Bugs? Difficult to say, for me. I have the feeling that the most bugs where mentioned on PC. On my Ps4 I only had one bug, which is already fixed. Nothing more. But like @audaciousmentioned, in this time it is often better to wait some time with buying the game after release until the most bugs are solved. Sadly but true. 

This are some thoughts, I hope they help you. 

The minority are generally the most vocal... whilst majority are happy satisfied people carry on until the vocal minority go to far and then the pushback starts

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1
9 hours ago, CityGhostGamer said:

My thoughts on the game after comparing it to F1 2020 back to back: it's very, very undercooked. AI is more aggressive and racey, but far too inconsistent across the board. In F1 2020 AI was passive, but a lot more tightly balanced in terms of their pace. The physics feel kinda nice, but they're very punishing and unforgiving. A smallest mistake can cost you a complete loss of control in a split second. F1 2020 feels like this game does with medium TC and ABS on, plus smoother steering. At least on a controller. I just get a lot more confidence to push the car to its limit. Real life similarities I'm not gonna touch with a 10-foot pole.

Overall, F1 2020 was a lot more polished and complete experience, pleasant in almost every way. Here, the only thing that is up to snuff is Braking Point, which nobody cares about. Everything else is either controversial, unbalanced, underdeveloped, glitchy or just outright broken.

PS Feedback on the DualSense is a lot better than it was on DualShock 4. That's about the only unquestionable improvement I can think about.

Overall I pretty much agree with this. After many many laps in time trial fiddling with handling and setup and well over 100 online races now (of varying quality) the game just screams frustration to me. 

While the handling and kerb changes are interesting and fun to engage with in terms of time trial, once it gets to competitive situation it's more annoying than it is satisfying as it's. hard to have confidence pushing the car to the limit when needed. The Spa weekly event is a great example as some of Spa's kerbs are wildly overdone in terms of spinning at the slightest touch. No idea if it can be called more 'realistic' but it's certainly more 'irritating'. The list of DNF's is often longer than the list of finishers. 

Going back to 2020 (as the online mode is still working fine and busy) is a pleasure honestly, able to really throw the car around on track and go wheel to wheel with much more confidence and aggression. 

I've managed 6 chapters of Braking Point and to be honest I have no interest in continuing it, at this point the story arcs are well known and with no branching or alternative routes through it, it all feels a bit pointless. 

The music's nice, mind. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
29 minutes ago, KNT2011 said:

Overall I pretty much agree with this. After many many laps in time trial fiddling with handling and setup and well over 100 online races now (of varying quality) the game just screams frustration to me. 

While the handling and kerb changes are interesting and fun to engage with in terms of time trial, once it gets to competitive situation it's more annoying than it is satisfying as it's. hard to have confidence pushing the car to the limit when needed. The Spa weekly event is a great example as some of Spa's kerbs are wildly overdone in terms of spinning at the slightest touch. No idea if it can be called more 'realistic' but it's certainly more 'irritating'. The list of DNF's is often longer than the list of finishers. 

Going back to 2020 (as the online mode is still working fine and busy) is a pleasure honestly, able to really throw the car around on track and go wheel to wheel with much more confidence and aggression. 

I've managed 6 chapters of Braking Point and to be honest I have no interest in continuing it, at this point the story arcs are well known and with no branching or alternative routes through it, it all feels a bit pointless. 

The music's nice, mind. 

I did the first season and just totally underwhelmed.  Is it Mexico where you have to catch you team mate...  while I’m closing in on him i was thinking to myself... ‘hmm the storyline so far has been whenever we’ve tried to get past eachother we crash.  So obviously once I catch him I will try to pass knowing we will no doubt crash again... ha I thought gunna have him on the very wide main straight.  As I approach he makes his move to defend.  I stay left.  Then I quickly dive right to the edge off the track.  Timed it perfectly ai/game didn’t know that was coming.  I begin to pass.. we are miles apart but as I thought cut scene we crash.  Any how I thought I was playing the part off the rookie.  No start off 2nd season I’m the other guy.  What ???? I deleted my progress. The whole reason off having a storyline where you play a character rather than your self is you become invested in that character and begin to empathise with him on his journey... now this is one thing fifa got right when they introduced a story  that spanned across 3 games... despite ea saying you’ll decide his journey by the choices you take on the game.  Infact I played it to death and the only choices you make off any consequence is what clubs he ends up... does matter what path you take how bad or good you are you still ended up at the same place... But the story all the way through was consistent, well thought out and well written.. I did care about the player.  Like a good book I couldn’t put it down... and was annoyed they finished it when there was still plenty they could have done with it.  

I don’t know who they got to write braking point but whoever it was got it very wrong 

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1
1 hour ago, KNT2011 said:

The Spa weekly event is a great example as some of Spa's kerbs are wildly overdone in terms of spinning at the slightest touch. No idea if it can be called more 'realistic' but it's certainly more 'irritating'. The list of DNF's is often longer than the list of finishers.

Yes, 9 out of 20 finished the race I did. I also finished way higher in percentage terms than usual which I'm guessing is because lots of people either didn't finish or kept losing time pitting to repair damage. I was somewhat cautious but didn't spin or crash.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I love spa wet/dry makes no difference.. I’ve done LITERALLY 😁🙄 infinite laps over years on just about every type off platform..  I find like the force it flows through me... whereas I wish the Death Star would blow up Japan(the track, not the country)

Edited by ScaredDuck