Jump to content Jump to content

What are your opinions about this year's game?

Game is absolutely fine. The AI are excellent as I come to expect from them now, still comfortably the best racing AI in any game right now. The handling has a nice balanced feel to it now after the understeer fest of 2020, setups feel like they have more effect now as well for me. Controller feel and certainly smoothness is a lot better than previous game. I personally like the fact that the kerbs are aggressive and you have to think about your lines, theres a little bit more character to the circuits and the cars which do level it up a notch over 2020 here. Generally it's a very good F1 game. 

The main downsides for me, graphically it still isn't pushing boundaries, It's an aged engine though so I expect this might be the final hurrah for it before we get a much needed new engine next year. Given the difficulties in development I can let them off here. It's still a perfectly acceptable game to look at. The career mode still feels a bit unfinished, I loved it  in 2020 (MyTeam specifically) as it was something new and different so was easy to get drawn in. In 2021 it is just the same again, copy and pasted almost exactly but with some extra adjustments available to artificially increase the difficulty. 

Is it as good as 2020? Well it will get less playtime, not because its worse, but because it is much of the same from the gameplay standpoint and having put so many hours in to 2020, there isn't a lot to discover in 2021. Technically it is better across the board but it doesn't have the surprise and delight factor that excelled 2020.

• Agree 1

We need to have more AI crashes/mistakes. I have been asking this for too long. Perhaps there should be a game option in the menu to set the frequency of AI mistakes: low, standard and high. 

Edited by ffigueir
  • Agree 1
2 hours ago, magpieracer48 said:

Game is absolutely fine. The AI are excellent as I come to expect from them now, still comfortably the best racing AI in any game right now. The handling has a nice balanced feel to it now after the understeer fest of 2020, setups feel like they have more effect now as well for me. Controller feel and certainly smoothness is a lot better than previous game. I personally like the fact that the kerbs are aggressive and you have to think about your lines, theres a little bit more character to the circuits and the cars which do level it up a notch over 2020 here. Generally it's a very good F1 game. 

The main downsides for me, graphically it still isn't pushing boundaries, It's an aged engine though so I expect this might be the final hurrah for it before we get a much needed new engine next year. Given the difficulties in development I can let them off here. It's still a perfectly acceptable game to look at. The career mode still feels a bit unfinished, I loved it  in 2020 (MyTeam specifically) as it was something new and different so was easy to get drawn in. In 2021 it is just the same again, copy and pasted almost exactly but with some extra adjustments available to artificially increase the difficulty. 

Is it as good as 2020? Well it will get less playtime, not because its worse, but because it is much of the same from the gameplay standpoint and having put so many hours in to 2020, there isn't a lot to discover in 2021. Technically it is better across the board but it doesn't have the surprise and delight factor that excelled 2020.

Make some great points... and tbh it’s just a nice change to to a cup half full post.

Pn the graphics side and not pushing boundaries.. it’s the same on every new generation console.. for instance before every PlayStation release.. its advertised it’s amazing that it’s got all this next gen tech... and that’s is correct..  so PlayStation loyalists rush out to get their hands on one... buy the latest new game for said console.  Install start it up and lie to themselves and everyone else it’s amazing. When really inside they can’t see any difference from games on the old console. 

Reason being.. Sony PlayStation may have stuck the latest top off the line tech in the console...  because the hardware has to remain current for that generation off console.

But developers don’t  rush out and get the relevant tech they need to really take advantage off what the new console can do... there’s is always a long lag from next gen console launch to developers releasing games worthy off it

Edited by ScaredDuck
  • Agree 1

On the other hand, I run the PS5 version of the game at double the frame rate of the PS4 version (and likely with higher resolution than a base PS4), and load times are ballpark 3 times faster. It's not that it's no different.

Across the board I'd say frame rate improvements are a fundamental step up between console generations. The trouble is they don't show in game stills so some conclude there has been no progress.

Edited by Ultra3142

I love the load times... last year load times must have cost me a controller or to as I’d bash on all the buttons and yank on the sticks in frustration.   

Just started ps5 and you’ve just reminded me change ps5 to performance.  I do find ps5 menus slightly odd.  Is it just me that expected the quality and performance option would be in sound and screen 

Edited by ScaredDuck
1 hour ago, ScaredDuck said:

I love the load times... last year load times must have cost me a controller or to as I’d bash on all the buttons and yank on the sticks in frustration.   

Just started ps5 and you’ve just reminded me change ps5 to performance.  I do find ps5 menus slightly odd.  Is it just me that expected the quality and performance option would be in sound and screen 

The important option to enable 120 Hz output is in the Screen and video section. 

• Thanks 1

at this point id rather chew on razor blades then try and get in an online lobby they are so broken it takes over an hour just to find a lobby you can get into and actually race there are lobbies with 1 person in them that have been bugged out for over 12 hours garbage game 2 months out and still complete and total garbage i want a refund