Jump to content Jump to content

Watching classification on Spa....

Beautiful piece on Russell's almost-pole front-row landing lap on The Race. There's a breakdown of his lap halfway through it I highly recommend everyone reading alongside a lap onboard like this. How he tames his car with his inputs, controlling the load distribution with his throttle and brake applications, and being smooth and quick and smooth² again with his steering to promptly oppose every promise of a lashing out from his Williams.

The problem was the energy deployment of two consecutive long laps of Spa. Given that the track was becoming drier, the plan, revealed to Russell as he was between Turns 9 and 10 on the out-lap was a semi-push first lap using full deployment only at the beginning of the lap, then switching settings so that full deployment would be available for the second lap on the drier track.

So that first semi-push lap was used primarily to bring the tyres and brakes to their optimum temperature, guided by his engineer throughout the lap.[...]

So this lap was as much about George’s preparation as car-prep. And although the ‘HPP’ (full deployment setting) was turned off before Pouhon, already there were clues about how the real lap was going to look, with Russell’s beautiful one-arc steering inputs and the way he was turning into the slower corners very early, loading up the front tyres progressively and using the brakes to transfer the weight, staying away from the rubber build-up by going inside it when the more conventional wet karting line was to go around it on the outside, like Verstappen: “Yeah, I was trying to not cross over the rubber because you could feel the car get upset as it went over.”

Great read. And quite enlightening for anyone wanting to drive like the real deal. 

• Like 4
6 hours ago, ScaredDuck said:

Still havnt seen the highlights still but that’s awesome.  Really wish I didn’t look on this thread now. But bored waiting for highlights.  Really like Russell as a driver but after he made a plonker of himself at imola after going mental at bottas. Did make me dislike him alittle

Agree with this, he’s a great driver but comes across a bit over confident to me, bordering on arrogant and he hasn’t done anything yet!

• Agree 1

Yep. And a bit too predisposed to lay blame on others or to accentuate theirs over his own.

There was a GP last year where the press got to him fresh out of the car and he was visibly frustrated and blaming the team over some shenanigans that turned out to be of his own making.

And Imola.

• Agree 2
17 minutes ago, kalamazoo123 said:

Agree with this, he’s a great driver but comes across a bit over confident to me, bordering on arrogant and he hasn’t done anything yet!

How do you think he got into F1? 

I know where you're coming from re. confidence/arrogance but to some degree these are required characteristics of top competitors in all sports. I don't get any sense that he isn't well-liked by those who work with him personally.

5 minutes ago, Ultra3142 said:

How do you think he got into F1? 

I know where you're coming from re. confidence/arrogance but to some degree these are required characteristics of top competitors in all sports. I don't get any sense that he isn't well-liked by those who work with him personally.

I get what your saying... But I like my sportsman to be more lando,  jenson.... Jeremy Clarkson always pokes fun at racing drivers cause they always come out with excuses 

i also watch road cycling and cyclists are the most arrogant bunch off sportsman... which I always find amusing cause most off them are doping in an effort to win

Edited by ScaredDuck
  • Disagree 1

@Ultra3142 he definitely is well liked. I think @kalamazoo123 and I are talking about episodes, not a general undertone.

The Imola kerfuffle was clearly curbed by outside "you should tone down" forces. A tall handsome imposing Austrian force, I'd wager.  

I don't think anyone here is playing the merit game. Just talking favorites. First thing kalamazoo said was he's a great driver.

• Agree 2

Just pointed out to me the post I mentioned the f2 crash in wasn’t actually f2 cause there’s no f2 at Spa and was infact W series... I apologise for making such a monumental mistake and sincerely hope I never offended anyone.  If I did I am truly truly sorry.. I’m ashamed off myself for not knowing the difference between these hugely popular race series.  

Also hope no trees were hurt during the incident.

Edited by ScaredDuck