Jump to content Jump to content

The Game is Unplayable for Casual Players


Recommended Posts

Hi all,

Just wanted to post a little bit of a rant & see if anyone is experiencing the same as me playing this game. For context - even though I buy this game every year, I still consider myself more of a casual player as I play on controller with automatic gears. I play with no other assists except for race starts and traction control.

I’m finding this years edition of the year so unenjoyable. I’ve always hovered around the 90-100 AI difficulty. My car in ‘My Team’ is fully maxed, yet I find driving the car so difficult despite lowering the difficulty.

Race Starts: I might as well start in the pit lane. I always get away in the initial 2 seconds faster than everyone else. Then everyone FLIES past me. It’s like I have an engine problem every time I start a race. I do a formation lap and ensure I warm tires up. Are the automatic gears really ruining race starts?

Understeer: Definitely the worst thing about this game. A maxed aero and chassis car & I understeer at every single track. The AI don’t get the same level of understeer as me. It’s impossible to go through Maggotts & Becketts as fast as the AI. Same at any track with an ‘S’ type layout/sector (Mexico, USA, Zandvoort, etc).

AI: At some tracks I have to raise the difficulty or I massively outperform the true pace of my car (Canada, Spa, Monza). At other tracks (Bahrain, Spain) I’m so far off the pace unless I drop the AI difficulty by 10-15 levels. Why is it so inconsistent?

Kerbs: Do I need to go into any detail? What the hell do I have to do to be able to touch kerbs and not lose the car?

The above factors (there are more which I won’t go into right now) render the game completely unplayable. 

Before anyone trolls… let me assure you that the casual players make up a large % of the player base & if an experienced casual is feeling this way, then I hate to think how the newer / less experienced casuals are finding the game.

Edited by JcJack
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey, mate! No issue at all at being a casual. Let's take a look at it?

It would help a lot if you could upload a clip of one of these race starts of yours. Yes, automatic gears are a hindrance performance wise but not to that degree, so it bears examination.

The understeer is relatively easy to fix but even easier to exacerbate. What setups are you using?

The AI it is hard to pin down. There's an issue that is already under investigation, the AI is unreasonably fast in some types of corners. It may be more prominent depending on the difficulty you're running. However, it is not uncommon that a player may have a particular set of weaknesses, like esses or slow speed corners, and some tracks may be naturally tougher than others. The franchise has a history of players finding inconsistent AI though so you're definitely not alone in this.

  • Agree 2
  • Disagree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, JcJack said:

Hi all,

Just wanted to post a little bit of a rant & see if anyone is experiencing the same as me playing this game. For context - even though I buy this game every year, I still consider myself more of a casual player as I play on controller with automatic gears. I play with no other assists except for race starts and traction control.

I’m finding this years edition of the year so unenjoyable. I’ve always hovered around the 90-100 AI difficulty. My car in ‘My Team’ is fully maxed, yet I find driving the car so difficult despite lowering the difficulty.

Race Starts: I might as well start in the pit lane. I always get away in the initial 2 seconds faster than everyone else. Then everyone FLIES past me. It’s like I have an engine problem every time I start a race. I do a formation lap and ensure I warm tires up. Are the automatic gears really ruining race starts?

Understeer: Definitely the worst thing about this game. A maxed aero and chassis car & I understeer at every single track. The AI don’t get the same level of understeer as me. It’s impossible to go through Maggotts & Becketts as fast as the AI. Same at any track with an ‘S’ type layout/sector (Mexico, USA, Zandvoort, etc).

AI: At some tracks I have to raise the difficulty or I massively outperform the true pace of my car (Canada, Spa, Monza). At other tracks (Bahrain, Spain) I’m so far off the pace unless I drop the AI difficulty by 10-15 levels. Why is it so inconsistent?

Kerbs: Do I need to go into any detail? What the hell do I have to do to be able to touch kerbs and not lose the car?

The above factors (there are more which I won’t go into right now) render the game completely unplayable. 

Before anyone trolls… let me assure you that the casual players make up a large % of the player base & if an experienced casual is feeling this way, then I hate to think how the newer / less experienced casuals are finding the game.

I'm a casual player and a old man at 59 years old and I have no issues at all with the game. Sure, there are a few bugs/issues and problems with the game that I hope they correct but I am playing the game fine as is.  I play really really casual:  

The AI is set to 60 for me and manual gear shift on (Hey! my reflexes and eyes are not the same as when I was 20-30 years old!..lol) with the assist of traction control on medium to full (depending on the track), ABS on, and Pit Assist on. all other assist is off. Hey, I even have DRS and ERS assist on so I don't have to worry about that...I'm too lazy....lol I just want to have fun...isn't that what is all about? games should be fun not work! Have fun regardless of how you play I guess.  I use a TM wheel with the Formula TC so that might be a little different than your experience.

I am on PC so that might be why too but I've been seeing people with no FF on their TM wheel and I have to wonder if it is their set-up or they did not update the drivers/firm-wear on their wheel.  My PC set-up is simple as well.  Intel I7 7700K with a GTX 1080 16GB ram. The game runs fine too at 1440P monitor with 60-70 FPS.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Strange you say Bahrain you have to lower the difficulty by a big amount as other people comment on the ai been  weak at Bahrain so possibly you just need to practice round there. As I race on 101 everywhere and it v tough but pretty consistent expect zandervort... Yes high speed corners you will lose time as they bugged but I seen to make it back up through the rest of the lap so it levels out .And if you running full traction that will bog you down off the start been like that since 18 I think. And don't really want to get in to the kerb debate again some love the challenge ie me , and some hate it but fact is it's how they are currently so you just going to have to practice learn the ones you must avoid....

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, NestoChe said:

I'm a casual player and a old man at 59 years old and I have no issues at all with the game. Sure, there are a few bugs/issues and problems with the game that I hope they correct but I am playing the game fine as is.  I play really really casual:  

The AI is set to 60 for me and manual gear shift on (Hey! my reflexes and eyes are not the same as when I was 20-30 years old!..lol) with the assist of traction control on medium to full (depending on the track), ABS on, and Pit Assist on. all other assist is off. Hey, I even have DRS and ERS assist on so I don't have to worry about that...I'm too lazy....lol I just want to have fun...isn't that what is all about? games should be fun not work! Have fun regardless of how you play I guess.  I use a TM wheel with the Formula TC so that might be a little different than your experience.

I am on PC so that might be why too but I've been seeing people with no FF on their TM wheel and I have to wonder if it is their set-up or they did not update the drivers/firm-wear on their wheel.  My PC set-up is simple as well.  Intel I7 7700K with a GTX 1080 16GB ram. The game runs fine too at 1440P monitor with 60-70 FPS.

Someone who is old enough to make me feel youngish👍🏻

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ScaredDuck said:

Someone who is old enough to make me feel youngish👍🏻

Well ya can feel younger some more as I'll be 65 in a little while.

Jack....on starts on automatic the car shifts back down if you manualy try to shift up to fast to gain traction. Running full TC is the only way to get around it. The game needs semi automatic for this and the times ya want to roll the corners in 2nd or 3rd.

Check out PJ video on underseering there is a chart that u can snapshot and apply that info to your setup. My Bahrain time came down almost 3 seconds, not bad for 15 minutes of effort. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Badmayhem said:

Well ya can feel younger some more as I'll be 65 in a little while.

Jack....on starts on automatic the car shifts back down if you manualy try to shift up to fast to gain traction. Running full TC is the only way to get around it. The game needs semi automatic for this and the times ya want to roll the corners in 2nd or 3rd.

Check out PJ video on underseering there is a chart that u can snapshot and apply that info to your setup. My Bahrain time came down almost 3 seconds, not bad for 15 minutes of effort. 

Your old enough to be my dad😁👍🏻

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Blent said:

Again, the real pandemic in our civilisation is in how humanity has collectively lost all concept of what 'unplayable' actually means.

Does one word that is not quite literal to the Oxford Dictionary police make the rest of his post invalid?

 

  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, JcJack said:

Hi all,

Just wanted to post a little bit of a rant & see if anyone is experiencing the same as me playing this game. For context - even though I buy this game every year, I still consider myself more of a casual player as I play on controller with automatic gears. I play with no other assists except for race starts and traction control.

I’m finding this years edition of the year so unenjoyable. I’ve always hovered around the 90-100 AI difficulty. My car in ‘My Team’ is fully maxed, yet I find driving the car so difficult despite lowering the difficulty.

Race Starts: I might as well start in the pit lane. I always get away in the initial 2 seconds faster than everyone else. Then everyone FLIES past me. It’s like I have an engine problem every time I start a race. I do a formation lap and ensure I warm tires up. Are the automatic gears really ruining race starts?

Understeer: Definitely the worst thing about this game. A maxed aero and chassis car & I understeer at every single track. The AI don’t get the same level of understeer as me. It’s impossible to go through Maggotts & Becketts as fast as the AI. Same at any track with an ‘S’ type layout/sector (Mexico, USA, Zandvoort, etc).

AI: At some tracks I have to raise the difficulty or I massively outperform the true pace of my car (Canada, Spa, Monza). At other tracks (Bahrain, Spain) I’m so far off the pace unless I drop the AI difficulty by 10-15 levels. Why is it so inconsistent?

Kerbs: Do I need to go into any detail? What the hell do I have to do to be able to touch kerbs and not lose the car?

The above factors (there are more which I won’t go into right now) render the game completely unplayable. 

Before anyone trolls… let me assure you that the casual players make up a large % of the player base & if an experienced casual is feeling this way, then I hate to think how the newer / less experienced casuals are finding the game.

Also a casual player, I use my son’s wheel but not the pedals (I use the gear paddles as the gas and brake. Auto gears, tc, brake assist but not steer assist. Auto starts but no ers or drs assist. 

Race starts guarantee a loss of positions. I make up for it in a few opening corners usually, but very annoying to always lose spots. 

I now adjust the AI track to track, I used to pick an average for the season but this year the AI seems to vary widely (Bahrain for me the AI needs to go up, Spain down). I go GP mode before a race at each new track as Bottas and try to short qualify within a couple tenths of Hamilton and then use that for My Team. AI has ranged between 70 and 85 so far but I am not overly fine tuning the set up. 

There are a few kerbs that are evil but for the most part I find they only serve to slow me while the AI uses them without penalty. 

My main issue is the Thrustmaster wheel on the Xbox One is losing ffb randomly mid session, sometimes mid corner. Some save game issues as well. Owning only Macs, I have no way

I am 52, never play online, and other than a few annoyances, I find the game a shade better out of the box than last year. It is playable but requires a little effort to tune the game at first. Since I practically use full assists, the AI should never need to be tweaked but it can be overcome. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Currriss said:

Does one word that is not quite literal to the Oxford Dictionary police make the rest of his post invalid?

 

I'm not dismissing legitimate issues with the game, because I have plenty of my own, thanks.

But there is a genuine issue with people blowing their problems with their game completely out of proportion by throwing words around like 'unplayable' and 'broken' when describing issues that don't actually affect their ability to play the game.

Not only does that bring the entire quality of the discussion on here down to a pretty awful level, it also has the very real effect of drowning out those players who actually are experiencing game-breaking issues.

There are a lot of XBOX players complaining that the game keeps shutting down their console - which is a really major problem that could effect their console's health, let alone their ability to just play the game. There are players using Thrustmaster wheels who are having consistent issues with FFB and the wheels apparently not even working which makes it impossible for them to play the game reliably with their perfectly working hardware as they should reasonably expect to be able to do. They are the players having actual 'unplayable' issues with the game.

But instead, we have an endless flood of people stinking up this place screaming bloody murder about how CM have sold them a defective, broken game that is completely unplayable because *checks notes* 'the AI is occasionally inbalanced and they don't like how the kerbs work in this game'. Like, is that it?

These are genuine issues that deserve to be addressed (or simply just dealt with by the player, like with the kerbs 'issue'), but when you start over-exaggerating the severity of these issues like so many people here do, you actually aren't helping. At all.

And as someone who actually wants this series to become better and realise the full potential I think it has, I'm not going to pretend I don't find that annoying and counter-productive. So I'm going to keep calling it out, thanks.

Edited by Blent
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 3
  • Disagree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Really well said... but as Ricky Gervais says we live in a world where it’s more important to be liked than it is to be right.   And someone’s opinion is equal to fact.

Edited by ScaredDuck
  • Disagree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Well... If you are selling a SIMULATION game... It means that the game tries to simulate something of real world. If there is a kerb acting like a cannon it is not a simulation of something real!!!! (ow... this is a big issue...)

Edited by LocoVarrido
  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, LocoVarrido said:

Well... If you are selling a SIMULATION game... It means that the game tries to simulate something of real world. if there is a kerb acting like a cannon it is not a simulation of something real!!!! (ow... this is a big issue...)

Codemasters label their f1 series as a simcade.   Remember your buying a game... not a simulator 

  • Disagree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, ScaredDuck said:

Codemasters label their f1 series as a simcade.   Remember your buying a game... not a simulator 

So... There is no rule!!!! They can do anything and we (buyers) should be happy!!!!

 

The sim part of simcade is just about F1 simulation!!!

Edited by LocoVarrido
  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, LocoVarrido said:

So... There is no rule!!!! They can do anything and we (buyers) should be happy!!!!

I never said that.... I would say more than half my posts criticise developers for the way they treat end user. 

 

But first and foremost it’s a game not a real world sim

Edited by ScaredDuck
  • Agree 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

@LocoVarrido why not sharing a clip of one of those unrealistic kerbs you're finding? Otherwise it's really, really hard to discuss the topic when our experiences are differing by such a margin.

And we're losing touch here now. Codemasters' goals for the game are pretty much clear and no one is contractually obligated to keep on buying the titles.

Not to say the number of optional assists and aids this game gives. This is no vanilla Assetto Corsa or vanilla PCars. You can have the game holding your hand until you get used to the fine margins of the handling model.

  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, ScaredDuck said:

I never said that.... I would say more than half my posts criticise developers for the way they treat end user. 

 

But first and foremost it’s a game not a real world sim

The sim world was an example... The game is a F1 simcade but it simulates F1 racing (The Oficial F1 Game).

 

There are a lot of topics @marioho and I never complained about the kerbs... I wrote that as an example. I just mean to say If a game has a purpose (it is sold that way) it has to be ruled by it (simulating something the best way possible).

 

If there are a lot of complains about something simulated in the game MAYBE could have something wrong with it.

 

Edited by LocoVarrido
  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, LocoVarrido said:

The sim world was an example... The game is a F1 simcade but it simulates F1 racing.

Only to a certain extent .. From what I’ve read FOM don’t want it to realistic and prefer the simcade model as it makes it more accessible and more exciting than the real thing...  However I’ve only read this from third party sources on internet... and as I said before someone’s opinion now equals fact

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ScaredDuck said:

Only to a certain extent .. From what I’ve read FOM don’t want it to realistic and prefer the simcade model as it makes it more accessible and more exciting than the real thing...  However I’ve only read this from third party sources on internet... and as I said before someone’s opinion now equals fact

As I said: The sim part is the F1 racing (Ofical F1 Game).

If they don't follow any rule here (about simulating things) the game could not be used by eSports players.

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, LocoVarrido said:

If there is a kerb acting like a cannon it is not a simulation of something real!!!!

I've seen gameplay footage of the wall of champions in Canada doing this, but not kerbs. As above, let's see some examples of quite what you mean.

As for the thread title, I wish I could 'casually' compete with level 100 AI!

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, LocoVarrido said:

As I said: The sim part is the F1 racing (Ofical F1 Game).

If they don't follow any rule here (about simulating things) the game could not be used by eSports players.

I do agree with you... just I lean more toward it’s a game.  It should be perceived as a game and personally I don’t expect it to be anything other.  

Edited by ScaredDuck
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...