Jump to content Jump to content

The Game is Unplayable for Casual Players

22 minutes ago, ScaredDuck said:

I do agree with you... just I lean more toward it’s a game.  It should be perceived as a game and personally I don’t expect it to be anything other.  

I totally agree it is a game... But as it is the Oficial F1 Game... they should worry about every detail on how it is simulating things... or move it to an ARCADE game... to be more realistic to what the game really is!!

Edited by LocoVarrido
  • Agree 1
3 minutes ago, LocoVarrido said:

I totally agree it is a game... But as it is the Oficial F1 Game... they should worry about every detail on how it is simulating things... or move to ARCADE... to be more realistic to what really is the game!!

Like the saying goes.:. Jack off all trades, master off none

• Haha 1
28 minutes ago, LocoVarrido said:

There is a lot of topics @marioho and I never complained about the kerbs... I wrote that as an example. I just mean to say If a game has a purpose (it is sold that way) it has to be ruled by it (simulating something the best way possible).

If there is a lot of complains about something simulated in the game MAYBE could have something wrong.

I'm not following your interpretation of "simcade". What is supposed to be a simulation and what is supposed to be arcade?

My understanding is that the game aims to simulate as many aspects of the real deal as possible. Referring here both to the sport as a whole (parc ferme, GP structure, flags, rules and so on) and the physics of driving a F1 car. And it's not like they embed clear cut arcade elements into the mix; everything is done with some degree of "arcadism" to meet hardware limitations and what the multifaceted public of the franchise thinks of being "fun". 

That's why launching cars on race starts is so simplified. Why the ERS deployment is so simplified. Why engine maps are so simplified. In the handling proper, that's why you can take a full lap of Spa without having to do as many micro corrections as real drivers do.

What are you talking about when you allude to this simcade split? 

That said, I really really really don't think the average player and the average complaint done here or on twitter is really representative of something being "wrong" about the driving and handling of a F1 car. Heh, I'd wager the average player here probably even has a driving license. 

Codies' handling department is headed by David Greco, who has real life racing experience. Plus the consulting with pro drivers. When it comes to realism, I'd much defer to those guys and sim racers with real driving experience like the guys at Boosted Media than the average F1 player. Or players like @ScaredDuck, that can pull a mean lap on Brands Hatch for real.

Please, consider this. The franchise has always been forgiving in the driving physics, the player base as a whole got used to it – by driving what in the real world are impractical lines, by exploiting absurd setups and so on. Whenever the franchise made a push for realism a considerable cohort of players could not replicate the same performance of previous entries, there's bound to be complaining.

Does it mean that the game got it wrong? Absolutely not! No two complaints are made the same and no two players have the same grasp on what driving a real F1 car entails.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 1
5 minutes ago, marioho said:

I'm not following your interpretation of "simcade". What is supposed to be a simulation and what is supposed to be arcade?

My understanding is that the game aims to simulate as many aspects of the real deal as possible. Referring here both to the sport as a whole (parc ferme, GP structure, flags, rules and so on) and the physics of driving a F1 car. And it's not like they embed clear cut arcade elements into the mix; everything is done with some degree of "arcadism" to meet hardware limitations and what the multifaceted public of the franchise thinks of being "fun". 

That's why launching cars on race starts is so simplified. Why the ERS deployment is so simplified. Why engine maps are so simplified. In the handling proper, that's why you can take a full lap of Spa without having to do as many micro corrections as real drivers do.

What are you talking about when you allude to this simcade split? 

That said, I really really really don't think the average player and the average complaint done here or on twitter is really representative of something being "wrong" about the driving and handling of a F1 car. Heh, I'd wager the average player here probably even has a driving license. 

Codies' handling department is headed by David Greco, who has real life racing experience. Plus the consulting with pro drivers. When it comes to realism, I'd much defer to those guys and sim racers with real driving experience like the guys at Boosted Media than the average F1 player. Or players like @ScaredDuck, that can pull a mean lap on Brands Hatch for real.

Please, consider this. The franchise has always been forgiving in the driving physics, the player base as a whole got used to it – by driving what in the real world are impractical lines, by exploiting absurd setups and so on. Whenever the franchise made a push for realism a considerable cohort of players could not replicate the same performance of previous entries, there's bound to be complaining.

Does it mean that the game got it wrong? Absolutely not! No two complaints are made the same and no two players have the same grasp on what driving a real F1 car entails.

The worst complaining is not coming from average players, it is coming from eSports players!!!!

As I said before: If there are a lot of complains about something in the game MAYBE could have something wrong with it!!!!

• Agree 1
Posted (edited)

Some the replies here are a big WOW. Absolutely no concept or understanding for how the average player plays the game. None at all.

If you can’t enjoy a racing video game because the cars are very difficult to drive then how is it anything other than unplayable? 😂

Edited by JcJack
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

@LocoVarrido And why are you taking esports players as holders of real driving skills? There are esports players like Jarno Opmeer that actually competed in real racing categories and there are underage esports players that maybe even got their hands on a H-shifter yet.

This is a game. Top lap times doesn't equate to real driving skill. And not necessarily players with top lap times have something to offer regarding real life physics and handling of a race car.

Please, no Premier League or Series A team is looking at FIFA 21 leaderboards for their managerial spots! This is a game.

Silly, silly exercise, ok? If we were to divide the player base accordingly to their skill level like this:

• Mazespinesque on his handling, Crofty! - The most casual of casual players. 
  • Solid average work, Gio! – probably the biggest chunk of the audience. Puts considerable hours into the game, doesn't drive a mean lap anywhere and is content with just copying TT setups and having fun.
  • You're going places, Norris! – Not a league racer but could be if devoted enough time. Knows how to drive properly.
  • Sir Hamilton – top fella. James Baldwin, Jarno Opmeer, sim racers with knowledge. 

Whenever there's a push for realism you're going to see apples dropping from the highest branches, there's no way around that, mate. Whenever there's a rebalancing of the difficulty and realism you're going to see players shaken out of their previous performance level.

Again, this is the silliest of exercises with made up numbers from the top of my head on while I wait for this Belgium GP to start.

image.png.d2fbe65c64e5d762eda6d805ca4da50e.png

That sprawl between the levels is going to make some noise as they cannot easily reach the same performance of yore. 

image.png.a7ec933c9b5a4723a5775d0a4e094ccd.png 

The difficulty curve is going to get steeper whenever there's a push for realism in the game.

The game still welcomes casual players. That's why assists are there for. Obviously that does not exclude the game from being unbalanced and the systems in place to aid the player to be in need of revising. No one is denying that, as far as I can see. And we'd have more to gain if we could get back to this matter, as casual players playing with proper assists and at the proper difficulty level should not be overtaken by the whole grid at the end of turn 1 not should they have such an understeery car that one needs to lift and downshift at Copse.

A casual player playing with proper assists and at the proper difficulty level should be competitive under those parameters. If not, than there's something wrong with the game. 

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 1
3 minutes ago, Aef251 said:

Just curious, does the differential setting help with the curbs?

The differential is only at work when you're going through a curved path. So it depends on how you're taking the kerb.

Rear toe (the more the better), springs (the softer the better) and ride height (the higher the better) are the most dominant setup settings regarding your ability to ride kerbs.

12 minutes ago, LocoVarrido said:

This is an example of what I am saying:

If the real F1 pilots would say it really happens that way... wow... great CM really did it the right way.... but if not!!!!

I'm pretty sure I watched that video around the time it came out and I remember no 'canons'. Rather just s few kerbs that are best avoided so as to not spin, just as some are avoided by real F1 drivers.

• Agree 2
5 minutes ago, Ultra3142 said:

I'm pretty sure I watched that video around the time it came out and I remember no 'canons'. Rather just s few kerbs that are best avoided so as to not spin, just as some are avoided by real F1 drivers.

I never said the kerbs ARE cannons (hahaha). I said:

If there is a kerb acting like a cannon it is not a simulation of something real!!!!

Edited by LocoVarrido

I’ve done thousands off laps over the years on all race games on all these circuits and I simply find most corner curbs I find it better to roll through until after apex... and the rest I accelerate through... never and I mean never unless I’m about to stacked it do I brake or lift off... esp on a curb... serves me well

that said... all except Japan... I’ve never been comfortable through the esses to the point I accept whenever I race it the only way I’m winning is to lower difficulty 

Edited by ScaredDuck
18 minutes ago, Ultra3142 said:

I never said the kerbs ARE acting like cannon. I said: IF the kerbs are acting like cannons there is something wrong with the simulation.

• Agree 1
20 hours ago, JcJack said:

Hi all,

Just wanted to post a little bit of a rant & see if anyone is experiencing the same as me playing this game. For context - even though I buy this game every year, I still consider myself more of a casual player as I play on controller with automatic gears. I play with no other assists except for race starts and traction control.

I’m finding this years edition of the year so unenjoyable. I’ve always hovered around the 90-100 AI difficulty. My car in ‘My Team’ is fully maxed, yet I find driving the car so difficult despite lowering the difficulty.

Race Starts: I might as well start in the pit lane. I always get away in the initial 2 seconds faster than everyone else. Then everyone FLIES past me. It’s like I have an engine problem every time I start a race. I do a formation lap and ensure I warm tires up. Are the automatic gears really ruining race starts?

Understeer: Definitely the worst thing about this game. A maxed aero and chassis car & I understeer at every single track. The AI don’t get the same level of understeer as me. It’s impossible to go through Maggotts & Becketts as fast as the AI. Same at any track with an ‘S’ type layout/sector (Mexico, USA, Zandvoort, etc).

AI: At some tracks I have to raise the difficulty or I massively outperform the true pace of my car (Canada, Spa, Monza). At other tracks (Bahrain, Spain) I’m so far off the pace unless I drop the AI difficulty by 10-15 levels. Why is it so inconsistent?

Kerbs: Do I need to go into any detail? What the hell do I have to do to be able to touch kerbs and not lose the car?

The above factors (there are more which I won’t go into right now) render the game completely unplayable. 

Before anyone trolls… let me assure you that the casual players make up a large % of the player base & if an experienced casual is feeling this way, then I hate to think how the newer / less experienced casuals are finding the game.

I'm enjoying the game as a casual player . I'm probleys the same as you played every game . Except last year . Finally bought this one and I've only done the breaking point story . Just finished chapter 16. And gotta say I'm wholy  disappointed with the way it finishes . I thought the was 17 chapters . Not 16  . But my little rant over . I use auto gears medium tractions and abs . With is been a pad player . I haven't started a proper career . Yet and doesn't like I'm going to get the chance as . The game is doing something . To my console causing it to crash . Which is a shame as was starring to get back into it after getting bored with it past year . I'm not seeing the problem with the handling and kerbs and so forth . To me it doesn't feel much diffrent to last year's game . But then I only done one season . 

11 minutes ago, LocoVarrido said:

I never said the kerbs ARE acting like cannon. I said: IF the kerbs are acting like cannons there is something wrong with the simulation.

🙄

This game is horrendous. IF Lewis Hamilton's car turns into an aardvark half-way down the Kemmel Straight then Codemasters have no right to hold the official F1 game licence...

• Haha 1
8 hours ago, ScaredDuck said:

Your old enough to be my dad😁👍🏻

So you do feel younger......MISSION ACCOMPLISHED! 

As far as the vid goes I use to have that happen all the time till I finally found a stable setup and learn there are some curbs that you cant touch the gas for a second.  

• Like 2
On 8/28/2021 at 1:43 PM, JcJack said:

Hi all,

Just wanted to post a little bit of a rant & see if anyone is experiencing the same as me playing this game. For context - even though I buy this game every year, I still consider myself more of a casual player as I play on controller with automatic gears. I play with no other assists except for race starts and traction control.

I’m finding this years edition of the year so unenjoyable. I’ve always hovered around the 90-100 AI difficulty. My car in ‘My Team’ is fully maxed, yet I find driving the car so difficult despite lowering the difficulty.

Race Starts: I might as well start in the pit lane. I always get away in the initial 2 seconds faster than everyone else. Then everyone FLIES past me. It’s like I have an engine problem every time I start a race. I do a formation lap and ensure I warm tires up. Are the automatic gears really ruining race starts?

Understeer: Definitely the worst thing about this game. A maxed aero and chassis car & I understeer at every single track. The AI don’t get the same level of understeer as me. It’s impossible to go through Maggotts & Becketts as fast as the AI. Same at any track with an ‘S’ type layout/sector (Mexico, USA, Zandvoort, etc).

AI: At some tracks I have to raise the difficulty or I massively outperform the true pace of my car (Canada, Spa, Monza). At other tracks (Bahrain, Spain) I’m so far off the pace unless I drop the AI difficulty by 10-15 levels. Why is it so inconsistent?

Kerbs: Do I need to go into any detail? What the hell do I have to do to be able to touch kerbs and not lose the car?

The above factors (there are more which I won’t go into right now) render the game completely unplayable. 

Before anyone trolls… let me assure you that the casual players make up a large % of the player base & if an experienced casual is feeling this way, then I hate to think how the newer / less experienced casuals are finding the game.

If you play at 90-100 AI are you really a casual player? That is better than most. 

Race starts: There is an assisted race start setting if that helps you. Also, just Play with manual gears with suggested gear setting. It will be hard at first but you do it without thinking after awhile. You have to short shift on starts. You have to short shift out of slow corners, you have to shortshift in the rain, and an extra downshift helps with rotation and understeer. (Although not realistic, you can also drop the car into Neutral and jump into 1st gear to really rotate the car when you know you messed up and are about to hit a wall at Monaco, Baku, or Singapore)

If you don't want to use manual, I think you can still upshift and downshift manually anyway. So try that. 

Understeer: For whatever reason its by design, but smoother braking inputs and the right brake bias really help with that understeer, (as does downshifting an extra gear or two. I don't notice that understeer as much now after getting used to the new handling. 

Customising the screen can help too. I have the brake and throttle on the halo where I can see how much brake or throttle I apply with peripheral vision. (I couldn't see it in the default setting when it was on the bottom right of the screen) You don't have to apply alot of brake pressure in high speed corners like Bahrain. If you do then understeer happens. 

AI: They were unbalanced last year, and will probably be updated for tracks like Zaandvort. I believe someone has posted an spreadsheet that gives you an AI level for each track based on your TT times. Somebody posted this last year and it was a big help. If you are .3 ahead or behind of your teammate in quali,  then you need to  adjust the AI. (I think its .1s per point of difficulty up to 100, then .2s up to 110.

Kerbs: Honestly not as a bad as people complain. Japan, Belgium, and a few others need to be toned down, and the random jumps in the air are a bug not a feature. If the intent of making the kerbs more unstable was a way to make the racing line realistic, then its good IMO.