Sign in to follow this  

I am sorry Codemasters but this is a disgrace.

Youtube short video (HDTanel): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPEI6W4hCpw

So finally got to play the new GRID game and oh god how awful it has been. We have been waiting for so long for a new decent SEQUEL to the incredibly succesful GRID and this is the best you can do?
GRID 2 was THE worst driving game ever made, in terms of driving physics, graphics were okeish but the handling was just unbearable, I cannot imagine who loved it. Also you guys decided to DITCH cockpit view cause nobody uses it... WHY did you bring it back then? Why? Why did you tell us yea its coming back, its gonna be awsome when its just soo sooo badly made it makes me sad.. even cry. Its 2014 and this is what us long time fans get? A cheap cockpit view but together in 1 day in photoshop, all black, no indicatiors, nothing. Mirrors that are VITAL to any sim-arcade mix game are just USELESS. Why even have them ingame. 
Anyway, I talk a bit more in the video. 
Do not hate me for long time cause I love Codemasters in hearth but I need to be honest.. I was quite quiet with GRID 2 and just pretty much ignored the game after a 30min gameplay, 60€ down the drain. But another 60€ for this? Please, take some time off, gather all the great heads together in one room and start thinking where you went wrong and how you guys can come back.
In final words, I feel GRID: Autosport has been made like this: Took GRID 2, deleted the menus, but in cockpit modification that a fan made himself to GRID 2, made new menu in 1 day, some new tracks? new cars? release it under new name and gain massive profits from us from little to no effort at all in making this title.
Thanks.

Well the graphics are nice ... the physics I am undecided yet ... opening races were disappointing as the cars seemed to bob and drift from left to right like they were on popup springs - felt ridiculous - but I do agree the Cockpits are an embarrassment ... for all the hullabaloo about putting cockpit view back in only to see that they "copied" a fan-mod from Grid2 really leaves me gobsmacked.

But the fact 3D vision is broken after they proclaimed it would be included and working really tells me they have no decent QA and just simply lack any pride in what they offer .... $$$$ rule sadly.

I personally really like the game, and think it's one of the best game I've ever played in terms of actual racing. Although your points are perfectly valid, my priorities are different so the things you're complaining about simply don't really matter to me. Your video is hilarious though, in a good way, not being sarcastic. You're very entertaining.

I think you're failing to acknowledge the game was made for 360/Ps3. ancient hardware.

While your complaints are valid, I think you expected too much.

Will watch the vid shortly.

sorry tanel, you have not a hunch.
we all know that this is Grid 2,5...brings only community requests like the great grid1handling back

You must see this so....Grid 2 was little fast Arcade-Fun....Autosport brings serious racing back, for those wo like it

i willingly buy the game and pay the price...because its the only and best racing game for me. Monopol for Codemasters ! :-)

Hirschie said:

.brings only community requests like the great grid1handling back
Not sure If you noticed, but autosport handling has nothing to do with Grid1 handling

what you say?  im playing right now and the handling is grid 1 like...;-)

if you mean toca or something else, i never played that

Ok this is going to read like Viz top tips but I am going to say it anyway.

Some people are really picky about particular features in games. Fair enough. 

But if you are picky, and that if a particular feature is not present/up to your standard, then maybe the best thing to do is not part with your euros and pay only when you are sure that feature is present in the way you want.

It's not like there aren't loads of videos out there on youtube etc which show you what you're going to get, and in general most people on forums are very helpful if you ask them a question...

KazzyMac said:
Haters gonna hate. :)

agreed Kazzy to me based on al the vids I've seen it plays like a great racer. Even @Skid's livestreams looked very impressive and showed us 4/5 hours of the game running with several different events.

I do think the Ego Engine is probably due for retirement as I think it's hitting the limits here of what this generation can do but I do think if this is it's swansong it's going out on a high as I think the rest of the game is pretty awesome. Anyway should find out for myself tomorrow given my copy is on it's way

Hirschie said:
what you say?  im playing right now and the handling is grid 1 like...;-)
Not sure If serious

Well the graphics are nice ... the physics I am undecided yet ... opening races were disappointing as the cars seemed to bob and drift from left to right like they were on popup springs - felt ridiculous - but I do agree the Cockpits are an embarrassment ... for all the hullabaloo about putting cockpit view back in only to see that they "copied" a fan-mod from Grid2 really leaves me gobsmacked.

But the fact 3D vision is broken after they proclaimed it would be included and working really tells me they have no decent QA and just simply lack any pride in what they offer .... $$$$ rule sadly.
I think you're right about the QA portion. It was such a short dev time idk that they really got time to get much more testing in than yeah it does that thing we wanted it to do here this one time. They moved at a blistering pace even with it being a remodeled GRID2. I'm planning on picking it up next week and if it's playable and competitive I'll be happy. To me this is an olive branch, and could get me re-interested in what CM can make in the future.

Shinny said:

I think you're right about the QA portion. It was such a short dev time idk that they really got time to get much more testing in than yeah it does that thing we wanted it to do here this one time. They moved at a blistering pace even with it being a remodeled GRID2. I'm planning on picking it up next week and if it's playable and competitive I'll be happy. To me this is an olive branch, and could get me re-interested in what CM can make in the future.
As long as you play the touring, street and perhaps endurance disciplines,  the physics of this game then might take you back to CM's golden era of CMR and Toca. Problem is that, even when this is a much more complete game than the first Grid ever was.., perhaps Grid entertained me a lot more, as I found Its fast pace combined with some pretty good controls a lot more convenient to a franchise like this

Same for the graphics and overall performance..., Grid 1 simply destroys this game in both areas. Did Grid 1 seem to have better graphics just because those already old lightning/shadow effects so characteristic of the first iterances working on the EGO engine (First Dirt and Grid)?, perhaps, but still made Grid 1 look better than autosport imo.

It's funny I was the same way with GRID (very upset and vocal on the forums back then) - couldn't stand it after playing TOCA.   Hated the physics and move away from real tracks and touring cars.  I'm happy Codies has gone back to their roots with touring cars. I could care less about cockpit view - unless you have a three screen setup with racing seat not much use for it. Hood view to me is the most realistic setting and this game nails it just like TOCA. Now all we need is a few more touring car tracks and I'll never have to think about getting an xbone......lol.

I think GRID just made good use of what it had visually to make everything fit together. Like if they had made the car models more detailed or shinier or whatever, the rest of the world would look worse. As far as the gameplay I'm supper excited that I can finally do 20+lap races in a career mode. I'm also hoping to find I can save after practice and qualifying. I'm limited on playtime so I'd like to turn it into a race weekend type deal. Where I couldn't do any of that in GRID. Most I could do was 'qualify' for the global series in x type of race by doing the other events in the lower tiers. I'm hopeful for the handing model but I'll have to wait until I get into it.

I think you're failing to acknowledge the game was made for 360/Ps3. ancient hardware.

BS mate BS. We are in 2014 and a game gets created for a system that is outdated since 5 years (as the tech was 2 years out of date on release). Don't you see how wrong this industry is? As long as people jut buy anyway nothing will change. I won't and hope many others won't either. Hit their wallet-hit them direct. Let them go out of business if need be-we need and deserve better these days.

dirt3joe said:

But if you are picky, and that if a particular feature is not present/up to your standard, then maybe the best thing to do is not part with your euros and pay only when you are sure that feature is present in the way you want.

It's not like there aren't loads of videos out there on youtube etc which show you what you're going to get, and in general most people on forums are very helpful if you ask them a question...
Would agree with you IF they would not try to entise people to pre-purchase. THIS IS WRONG! Your point is right out of the window right there. Stop protecting poor development and broekn promises from a corporation , that charges triple A dollars for a complete sub-standard product.

1. Physics are BAD.
2. Cockpit view is being dealt with by the OP. Agree 100%
3. Co-op vs. AI season mode was stripped and description on Steam store changed after release to not be caught out for false advertising.
4. AI is a joke and would make any Battlefield general a proud leader. 

You just cannot polish a turd man. No matter what you say. 

oh and when I read comments like 'haters will always hate' or some such by someone else I could only puke. Sheeple all over the place. Demand MORE for crying out loud.

Well since I don't play using cockpit view. I really don't care, but its only one aspect of the game. The game is way better than grid 2 in all aspects. So if they do one thing wrong and really all it is is not putting details in the cockpit like gran turismo, so be it. They did say there would be a cockpit view in and there is. They never made promises as to what features would be in cockpit view.
Gotta remember how fast they wanted to right there wrong from grid 2, so I'm sure some minor details had to be left out. Heck just look at all the minor fixes they had day 1 on 360& pc with ps3 still to go.My guess is whatever project they are working on next hopefully dirt 4 it will have proper everything.
So if this cockpit view is not working for you put it away or trade it in and move on , cause I highly doubt there working on a patch to make better cockpit view.

MarkVenom said:
dirt3joe said:

Would agree with you IF they would not try to entise people to pre-purchase. THIS IS WRONG! Your point is right out of the window right there. Stop protecting poor development and broekn promises from a corporation , that charges triple A dollars for a complete sub-standard product.

1. Physics are BAD.
3. Co-op vs. AI season mode was stripped and description on Steam store changed after release to not be caught out for false advertising.

oh and when I read comments like 'haters will always hate' or some such by someone else I could only puke. Sheeple all over the place. Demand MORE for crying out loud.
Physics are BAD lol. U sir need to just go play gran turismo or wait for pCARS cause you obviously want a Sim and this is not a Sim .
The other 1 I had to laugh at was the A.I. are a joke. Guess you would rather have rubber band AI .
Bitchers and complainers will always be out there also .

Haters will be haters !!!

MarkVenom said:
dirt3joe said:

1. Physics are BAD.

Do something once and it doesn't work out, well you can put that one down to experience.

Do it twice - well I'll leave you to draw your own conclusions.

There was plenty of info around about the cockpit view and also the mirrors before the game released. Is it really a good idea to totally ignore that, spend your money, then complain like hell when the game doesn't meet your expectations ?

Sorry, but just can't see the logic in it.

After playing some more I would say the physics get better.  I dont mind hood view but it feels too far forward, wish they had an in-game slider or adjustment to move back/forwards.  Also a rear vision mirror would be excellent. 

But otherwise it is still good fun and the graphics on PC are very nice ( GTX780 ) .

Loore and the technical guys are working on getting the 3D Vision working which is great news, so once that is done I will be a happy camper as I love Racing games in 3D !!!

I understand MarkVenom's sentiments. However Codies were in the crapper after GRID 2. I don't know if it met sales expectations, but from a PR point of view it was a nightmare, just look at the shiny new forums after the second forum deletion by Codies in the space of about 5-7yrs. I remember the vitriol and venom directed at them (and rightly so). They had totally abandoned their core playerbase, they had aimed for a market that they have never had much penetration into and were trying for the uber-casual to prop them up. It failed badly in that respect as it didn't sell like Forza or GT on console and on PC all you got were a bunch of very very angry ex-codemasters fanboy's. There were literally only a handful of people singing GRID 2's praises and most of them were too young to know GRID 1, let alone the original ToCA Touring Cars (like I do ;) ).

I'll get to have a play with it tomorrow, the only reason I even shelled out for this is Loore's much more co-operative and friendly manner on the forums, and their far more open stance on development of the game. Though I am more than a little disappointed at the lack of drop-in/drop-out co-op for the Campaign.

Loore has also stated that this is the last gasp for the EGO-Engine as the next game will be developed for current gen consoles and that due to EGO this game couldn't have been released on the new consoles with any claim to being a current gen game. They never said otherwise and for that I give them credit. I still think you had Simcade nailed pre-GRID with the ToCA series, but it lost a bit of feel moving to GRID. GRID had a much more relaxed career, which TBH I wish was a little more structured for a campaign mode. Oh and that the cockpit view is revisited and brought at least up to GRID 1 level of detail ;)

If anything I hope Codies are starting to move towards a more open development schedule, maybe even take a page from pCARS and Star Citizen and let those who are willing and able to get stuck in with alpha testing of handling, vehicles, tracks, UI design etcetera...

have to agree with you both @V8R3L3NTL3SS1   and @dirt3joe. @Loore was completely honest with us and there have been plenty of video's and screenshots well before this game released to back him up. They made 100% sure we knew what we were going to get if we chose to buy this game . I can definitely applaud them for that I'm not saying the games 100% perfect as I deon't think that game will ever exist as there will always be something that can be improved regardless of the game.  But like @ V8R3L3NTL3SS1  I don't use cockpit view either I tend to use bonnet view or t-cam depending on what I'm driving                             

MarkVenom said:

BS mate BS. We are in 2014 and a game gets created for a system that is outdated since 5 years (as the tech was 2 years out of date on release). Don't you see how wrong this industry is? As long as people jut buy anyway nothing will change. I won't and hope many others won't either. Hit their wallet-hit them direct. Let them go out of business if need be-we need and deserve better these days.
5 years outdated? The Ps3 was released in 2006. That's 8 years. And if it was 2 years out already, that's 10 years outdated tech. 

There were plenty of vids that showed the mirrors and dash. The only reason they'd be a surprise is your own lack of research.

Now, if that came out on PS4/XBO and the dash/mirrors looked like this, I'd be right there with you complaining, and I wouldn't have bought the game at all. But this game cost less than a PS4/XBO game as well.