Sign in to follow this  

I am sorry Codemasters but this is a disgrace.

I accept the situation with the cockpits.  But no mirrors, especially with such aggressive AI, is absurd.  How hard can it be to give us mirrors like these:

MaXKiLLz said:
I accept the situation with the cockpits.  But no mirrors, especially with such aggressive AI, is absurd.  How hard can it be to give us mirrors like these:

I'll give you the lack of mirrors is annoying. I had an AI ram me going into a turn and it made me jump because I wasn't expecting lmao.

But, as I said, there was video's showing this well before release. So it wasn't a surprise to anyone paying even the slightest bit of attention. Which anyone who bought GAS blindly after Grid 2 deserves any and all frustration they get o.o

Have to admit I never thought I'd be coming to the defence of a game and one of the mods but I do think it needed saying

Have to admit I never thought I'd be coming to the defence of a game and one of the mods but I do think it needed saying

Just to make it clear I do agree with many others that the game should have mirrors. The whole idea is that it is supposed to be bumper to bumper racing, (as Darkredslayer showed in his vids last night!) and you are only going to get that happening well with mirrors.

That said, I still think it can be a very good game without the mirrors. Whether it can be a great game is another issue.

But we were were told about this in advance ... along with the cockpit views and also text chat on the PC. I think codies recognise these issues from the earlier threads on here. We need to wait for their response...

dirt3joe said:

Just to make it clear I do agree with many others that the game should have mirrors. The whole idea is that it is supposed to be bumper to bumper racing, (as Darkredslayer showed in his vids last night!) and you are only going to get that happening well with mirrors.

That said, I still think it can be a very good game without the mirrors. Whether it can be a great game is another issue.

But we were were told about this in advance ... along with the cockpit views and also text chat on the PC. I think codies recognise these issues from the earlier threads on here. We need to wait for their response...

so do I. I agree with this too there are areas where they could have improved and this I agree is one of them I'm not denying that. I think it'll be good with or without these features I don't really rely on these things myself when playing racing games but I know people do but then I only race offline so it's not a problem to me. That's why I said that there are always things that can be improved regardless because games like people are never 100% perfect. Mistakes will always creep in now and then all we can do is try to help CM minimise them and help hem make their games better by offering them suggestions to help them improve the features we like, and offer constructive criticism when we do see them make  mistakes like they did last year.

I do like the majority of the projects CM do but I think the fact there was a bit of a breakdown in communications between us that lead to the problems we had last year . I think that between us we need to just make sure this doesn't happen again as forum's like this are the best way to make sure we get heard

You have to understand that Codemasters has been creating racing titles since 1997, starting with Toca Touring Car Championship.

Regardless of what they told us or promised us with Autosport, you'd expect much more from a company with 17 years of experience in the genre.

It just seems the company, as a whole, has a hard time learning from their previous mistakes.

well they have openly admitted mistakes were made this time. Which is why they've offered this olive branch by giving us Autosport. Based on what I've seen and heard about the game I honestly believe they're sincere in their apologies. Things aren't 100% perfect but they were never going to be given just a 1 year turnaround it was always going to make things harder to make things exactly the way we like them. But in this instance it's the effort that counts the fact they've been pulling out all the stops to try and make things right. I hope they succeed and I think they will with Autosport.

Well I said I'd be back after a run.

My first 68mins with the game is pretty clear. The cockpit view sucks donkey balls. Sorry but that's all that can be said there, it needs detail and unblurring (wth is with that? It actually hurts my eyes...).

However the driving is fun, a fair bit of fun actually. It ticks all the GRID checkboxes for bumper to bumper racing, astonishingly I've seen less rubber banding than I expected from the AI which really improves my views of the game. On the subject of the AI being overly aggressive, I never found that in any of the races. I found they were generally very good as long as you braked at the right places and turned in as late as you should for the corners. Never once did they smash me without my actions being involved in some way. Having said that I haven't raced enough to make a fully informed opinion.

The sticking point though has to be the handling. It's good right up to the loss of grip point then it goes all Joe Pesci on ya. I mean it's really frustrating losing the back end to wheelspin when it's not wheelspin. It's then very slow to react to throttle changes and even slower to bring itself back into line (both the S2000 and the Dodge Charger suffered from this). It's unintuitive to race like that, It would be much better to have the loss of grip more progressive than it currently is, as in a car it's telegraphed to the driver like the news is at 6pm to the whole of the UK.

Contrary to Mr OP's opinion, I really like the UI and menu system. Let's be honest here, the racing is the focus not Ken Block's trailer, so I applaud the menu's clean and simple layout. It's fast, it doesn't keep you away from the track and it's easy to read. From a fellow UI designer, I salute the UI designer who did this UI.

It's clear this game is the GRID that should have release 10 months ago, not GRID 2. As long as @Loore can keep the updates coming to fix the issues like cockpit blur and other minor gripes (hell I'd love to help sort out the handling a little) then I can see this really being something I play a lot, which is saying a lot considering how mad I was with the last two racing releases from Codies.

Kaerar said:
Well I said I'd be back after a run.

My first 68mins with the game is pretty clear. The cockpit view sucks donkey balls. Sorry but that's all that can be said there, it needs detail and unblurring (wth is with that? It actually hurts my eyes...).

It's blurred because it's their (Codies) way of hiding that there's no real detail there. Why's there no detail? Because the game and engine are designed to operate within the limitations of the 360/PS3 (probably why an interior view was never officially offered in Grid 2...), and fair enough too (I think Codies have been very open about that). Why haven't Codies developed a high detail cockpit view for PC? Probably a cost/time decision.

MarkVenom said:
Would agree with you IF they would not try to entise people to pre-purchase. THIS IS WRONG!
Who’d’ve thought a company might employ marketing techniques to persuade you to buy their stuff?! Shocking tactics indeed.

Why wasn't it a "limitation" 6 years ago on the Xbox 360 version of Grid?  There simply is no excuse.  Another thing I noticed in the video is the crash comparison at the end.  In my opinion, the crash in the original Grid, at 03:17, looked and reacted way more realistically compared to Autosport.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVFR0MalVgA

And here is me deliberately getting the PC version because I figured it would look so much better than the PS3 version, with a good graphics card.

MaXKiLLz said:
Why wasn't it a "limitation" 6 years ago on the Xbox 360 version of Grid?  There simply is no excuse.

I'm not sure, but first thing comes to mind is that whilst the cockpits look worse in AS, I reckon the rest of the game is probably much nicer looking. It's a trade-off IMO.

And here is me deliberately getting the PC version because I figured it would look so much better than the PS3 version, with a good graphics card.
Well it does look a whole lot better, naturally. It's not going to be a completely different experience though, the PC version is of course very much tied to the console version. But there's higher resolution, faster frame rates and Codies have released the 2gb texture pack so IMO they're doing okay.

A FOV slider in-game wouldn't go a miss though, Loore ;)

i think the cars sound dull, very muffled sounds from exhausts----very boring.

the menu system is as crap as grid 2---- joining party, do you want to leave session & party, wtf is that? i dont give a shit about a party & i didn't ask to join one.

shouldn't have tuning but it can be disabled. 

its too hard to leave a session when you want to & have to wait till you are racing to quit. there should be a quit option in the pre race screen.

still doesn't look as pretty or run as smoothly as grid 1. 6 YEARS LATER!!!!

corner cutting penalties boil my blood, gravel traps is all thats needed, how many times do we need to talk about it?

the names & flags above multi player cars look a bit crap i.e. not as good as G1.

but i must say i am enjoying the driving side & have had some good racing, its a game codemasters should be proud of in that respect, its been nice to race on the tracks of old. the sensation of speed isn't quite there in the touring car class compared to the G1 standard but i think i can get used to that.

MaXKiLLz said:
Why wasn't it a "limitation" 6 years ago on the Xbox 360 version of Grid?  There simply is no excuse.  Another thing I noticed in the video is the crash comparison at the end.  In my opinion, the crash in the original Grid, at 03:17, looked and reacted way more realistically compared to Autosport.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVFR0MalVgA
graphic settings for both are maxed ? cause grid1 seems the new generation compared... btw the old good grid1 developer team is elsewhere, so we will never seen again a grid game(sequel) like the grid1 style.
They can do better, or can do worse. What we had into grid1 is gone. 

@HDTanel

There is a replay (you said there wasn't at 7:59). It's in the pause menu, 4th option down. You also have the option of watching it from the results screen, and on my Xbox there is a control to upload to Youtube (which I have yet to try).

I don't want to finish watching this. You took 4 minutes to give an introduction and background and explain why you're speaking in English instead of your native language. All it seems like you've done since, and I'm at the 13 minute mark, is talk about cockpit view. I knew about that 3 weeks ago. It was a very public thing. I'm bored, I'm leaving.

Grid1 definitely ran like a charm on PC compared to autosport; Steady 60FPS with VSynch on, almost everything maxed out, etc.

It also looked way better, no matter It was a trick of the lighting and shadows effect combined, so characteristic of the first Dirt and Grid. Grid autosport is a good game, but It definitely feels like an alpha build, with constant FPS drops when you take some corners, etc. Looks too consolized to me

hola said:
Grid1 definitely ran like a charm on PC compared to autosport; Steady 60FPS with VSynch on, almost everything maxed out, etc.

It also looked way better, no matter It was a trick of the lighting and shadows effect combined, so characteristic of the first Dirt and Grid. Grid autosport is a good game, but It definitely feels like an alpha build, with constant FPS drops when you take some corners, etc. Looks too consolized to me
I have to admit that while Autosport runs mostly very well for me, occasionally I do get these very odd half second pauses mid game for no apparent reason (and that's on a very high end machine).

andmcq said:
 (and that's on a very high end machine).
A clear indicative of how consolized this game may be. What's more, the greatest problem about sudden FPS drops lie in the fact they can irremediably affect the playability, controls, etc

game running smooth so far so that's good.

But as for my other pet peeves..

• AGAIN.. no spectator from lobby, you just sit there like an idiot picking your nose.
  • AGAIN.. no in-game chat..
  • damage seems fairly useless as guys with blown fron tyres seem to handle just fine and are able to stay in the lead.
  • sound is pretty dull and boring.
  • interior is so sad.. their excuse that ony 5% used it in GRID is is irrelevant and dumb. this is 2014 people. they already reused pretty much everything else in the game. spending some resources on interiors wouldn't have hurt.
  • singleplayer and multiplayer sharing profile settings.. don't know why they thought this was a good idea but it wasn't. now i have to sacrafice a bunch of things for MP that i don't want in SP which is really dumb. especially when you don't even get the full 35-40% EXP bonus.
  • sense of speed feels pretty low
  • traction control + ABS constantly braking you off at every corner. yes you can turn it off by why does it work this way to begin with?

these are the initial things that i immediately noticed and bothered me quite a bit. no doubt will i notice more, but at least its an improvement over GRID2.

And hopefully the rabble and GRID2 kiddies leave the game soon, my god are they annoying.