Sign in to follow this  

What Happened to 3D Vision ? Why is it broken ?

Was pumped for Grid Autosport on PC after seeing all the promo's and just got back from a mate's house where we fudged about for 3 or 4 hours trying to get 3D Vision working without any success as it is totally borked !

This statement was heralded all over the internet some time ago proclaiming how it would come 3D Vision enabled courtesy of the latest Nvidia drivers but somehow between then and now somebody at Codies must have changed some code or whatever and not bothered to test if it still worked or not .... Bahhh !!!  Why is Codies QA always so Fudged Up !!1???

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/733840/grid-autosport-announced-has-3d-vision-support/
"...this will come with 3D vision support out of the box, (i asked a codemasters community guy who confirmed it) "

http://forums.codemasters.com/discussion/847/nvidia-drivers-grid-autosport

I will say the graphics are nice with the texture pack and the tracks and cars look spectacular.  I am still trying to decide about the physics as early races feel way too sloppy ... but the Cockpit mode !?  C'mon Codies give us a break ... do them properly minus the blurrrrr crap - with proper detail ... or don't do them at all.

But the lack of 3D vision is most disappointing and makes it hard for loyal followeres of Codemasters to take them seriously at their word these days :(

ps. Grid 2 worked pretty well in 3D Vision with a patch so there SHOULD be a fix,  one would assume anyway.

Well there is a thread over at the Steam Forums that Loore is actively seeking an answer but it would be good for an official response from Codies here at their own forums.  

Surely I am not the only gamer that uses 3D Vision here am I ?  In which case there are many racing fans that do not realise just how great racing in 3D really is ... the ability to judge depth and hit the apex of corners makes you a better, cleaner and faster driver ... it truly is a sublime and superb racing experience.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/255220/discussions/0/540744936187982040/?tscn=1403731365

Same as I said on the Steam forums, I'm talking to our tech team and will update you when I have any developments :)

We're doing some tests on this now and are trying to reproduce the problem you're having. If you're suffering from this problem could you provide me with your 
  • hardware_settings_config.xml
  • DXdiag
Edit: We've identified a problem, we're currently looking into putting together a fix.

Thanks Loore appreciate your help .... this may be a much greater experience in 3D as the graphics are very nice.

I also want to add that after some more racing I don't mind the physics as much,  have given up Cockpit view in favor of hood/bonnet view but oh how I would love the rear vision mirror from back in the days of Toca Race Driver.

Why is the mirror left out these days, surely it is not hard to include ?

How do I send those files you wanted ?

I have them and can zip them up but I don't know how to post them anywhere !
Drop them in an email to gridgame@codemasters.com, thanks :)

No Probs Loore,  will do that right now .... and hope you guys can sort something fairly quickly as far as a new Nvidia profile or something  to get it working asap !

cheers :)

C'mon Codies give us a break ... do them properly minus the blurrrrr crap - with proper detail ... or don't do them at all.
They've tried not doing them at all. People moaned about that, too :)

It always amuses me when a game company uses the community to find bugs that should have been eradicated in the beta stages of development.  :-w

MaXKiLLz said:
It always amuses me when a game company uses the community to find bugs that should have been eradicated in the beta stages of development.  :-w
Sometimes things slip through, that's software development, or even any kind of development.

Car companies recall thousands of cars each year due to faults that weren't picked up, software companies are always patching and updating. How many times has the browser you're using to post on the forum been updated?

Our QA team does a great job and thousands of bugs get squashed before release, but it's never going to be the same as testing from an internal environment compared to a product in the wild.

Well, I am looking forward to tryng this if it gets fixed.

I played GT5 in 3d and it does add something to the game when you can see the depth.

Problem is though that you lose half the resolution in passive 3D.

3D Vision never got the wraps it deserves and it is only now that it is cheaper and better ( 3D Vison 2  ) that I finally bought it. Plus the early 3D monitors were overpriced and not as good. 

I got the Asus VG278H with built in IR emitter and glasses at an excellent price. Even as a 2D monitor at 120hz it has a beautiful picture.

Racing games are ideal and look stunning in 3D but some of my old faves like COD Black Ops2 are also great to play single player campaign in 3D as well as much older titles like Burnout Paradise and Blur.

@ewaawoowaa :  I do not lose any resolution and all my 3D games run flawlessly at 1920x1080p and as I have a GTX780 graphics card I rarely find a game that I cannot max out and get at least minimum frames of 60.  Grid2 for example runs around 90+ fps in 3D on my rig and is as smooth as butter.

Oh ok ... but I am talking about Nvidia 3D Vision 2 so using that with a dedicated 3D LCD Monitor such as the Asus or BenQ you do not lose any resolution whatsoever.  

I believe you may mean the Refresh rate gets split so 100hz becomes 50hz per eye and that hs more to do with how a TV handles 3D as they are produced with watching movies as the number one priority.

I could be wrong but I have never heard of resolution getting split in half ... resolution is the number of pixels on the screen so if an image was split in half resolution wise it would appear very large and blocky and look awful.

When you use 3D, each eye has to see a different image. The passive 3D system on my TV splits the 1080 lines into 2 lots of 540 lines. One lot for each eye.

So the image that you see has a resolution on 1920x540.

That is simply how it is. If your 3D system is an active system then alternate frames are shown to each eye so you do get the 1920x1080 resolution.

You are right, 3D on a passive system does look blockier and jagged but it has advantages over active.

Is your monitor active or passive?

Nvidia 3Dvision2 is active shutter so yes the full resolution comes through... also the monitor is 120hz so even when the display such as Fraps reads 60fps that is 60 frames per eye so the result is a very nice and smooth image with no tearing or dropped frames at all.

My experience of this setup so far has left me gobsmacked as I never realised 3D gaming could be so good,  I read about it several years ago and it just seemed like a gimmick. Sadly I think alot of others thought similar and it never took off like it deserved.

I accidentally came upon it as I mainly just wanted the 120hz monitor which was a steal and the glasses unknown to me had just undergone a major revision to version 2.  Once setup correctly it is so immersive and racing games are the best examples.

I have gone back to playing Grid2 until the patch for GAS rectifies the 3Dvision problems.  I hadn't played Grid2 since getting the 3D setup as I had already completed the career.  But playing again is now a whole new experience and so much better,  cannot wait to see what Autosport looks like in 3D because I think it will be something special again ! :)

Hi all, we've just submitted a fix for this issue, which will be available in a forthcoming patch!

Unfortunately I managed to break this just before we shipped, so our QA didn't have much time to spot my error.

Hopefully this means you'll be able to enjoy the 3D very soon!

Thanks for getting right onto it and yeah really looking forward to trying the 3D.

Is it possible to just download the 3D vision patch by itself so we can get it going ?

When will the patch with the 3D Vision Fix be up on Steam please ?

Thanks, RJ
No ETA just yet, but we'll get it there as soon as possible :)

Sorry to ask again as the topic had dropped off the radar but ...

Will the 3D Vision Fix make it into the next patch ( patch 2 if Day One patch is counted ) ???

Thanks and very eager to try it out !

cheers ramjet :)

BUMP !

Kindly take time to give a clear answer please as I have shelved this game until a fix arrives and if that is weeks and not days away I will look to something else as it is frustrating to be waiting unknowingly after the promise that it would be working out of the box. 

I certainly accept these things can happen but it does reflect that this game was rushed out the door last minute, sorry to say :(