Jump to content Jump to content

How do mods assess or prioritise issues/ suggestions for actioning?

Hi all,

Like the title says - does anyone know? Do likes/ responses make a difference?

Off the top of my head for example, I recall seeing a good suggestion in the 2020 suggestion forum for putting a white (or 2nd livery colour) outline on the car indicators shown on the track map, as darker coloured cars (like AT) were difficult to see at a glance. The issue still remains in 2021, and it has been suggested again in the 2021 suggestions forum.

As I say, I think it’s generally a good suggestion, even if many people didn’t request it, and would be an “easier” fix - so would expect they’d “chalk it off the list”, as it were, but obviously they haven’t for whatever reason (as is their prerogative).

So what does it actually take for an issue or suggestion to make it onto the CM “to do” list (game-breaking issues aside), given there are no “voting” options for suggestions, and no “I have this problem also” options for issues?

Any thoughts?

🖖🏽

P.S. This is not a thread intended to bash the new game, there are plenty other posts for that 😎

Edited by Monzie83

Hard to say because we don't get to see how the devs are organized. If I'm not mistaken, their project management is based on Agile/Jira but that's just slightly related to your question.

It's worth a Google though. Basically, instead of engaging to a fix or feature build from start to finish, its production is split into different sprints that iterate one on another and encompass all the pre production, development and trial phases. In theory it makes for a faster and more robust product deployment as you get to test the product after each sprint, so features and patches work better once they reach their 1.0 version.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, marioho said:

Hard to say because we don't get to see how the devs are organized. If I'm not mistaken, their project management is based on Agile/Jira but that's just slightly related to your question.

It's worth a Google though. Basically, instead of engaging to a fix or feature build from start to finish, its production is split into different sprints that iterate one on another and encompass all the pre production, development and trial phases. In theory it makes for a faster and more robust product deployment as you get to test the product after each sprint, so features and patches work better once they reach their 1.0 version.

Cheers @marioho, I actually work in business systems as a PM/ technical resource so have managed implementations using agile, although we much more commonly use waterfall/ hybrid in our industry. Agile seems to be the preferred methodology in software development.

I guess my question was more to do with how they decide what to develop next/ include in a sprint/ make it into “user story”/ backlog. I can’t image everything would make it into the backlog, but the example above seems to be good suggestion, easier to resolve, and also to have lingered.

Given there are no obvious metrics on these forums (to us at least) for how impactful a suggestion/ issue is to the user base, they must have some internal way of assessing these, and I was curious to know what that could be - as I’ve seen some things addressed in patches that not many people have asked for or are very minor, and other things like the above that are more useful that people have asked for but not addressed.

Edited by Monzie83
  • Like 1
13 hours ago, marioho said:

Basically, instead of engaging to a fix or feature build from start to finish, its production is split into different sprints that iterate one on another and encompass all the pre production, development and trial phases. In theory it makes for a faster and more robust product deployment as you get to test the product after each sprint, so features and patches work better once they reach their 1.0 version.

I didn't get a single word.

Any connection with 70 pages of Report an Issue?

Dark mode would be nice, just change the colour of the background it cant be too hard for a dev to change a colour code. That's been asked for since the BETA. The menus are blinding. 

• Agree 3
15 minutes ago, RLLL said:

Dark mode would be nice, just change the colour of the background it cant be too hard for a dev to change a colour code. That's been asked for since the BETA. The menus are blinding. 

THIS. And the high pitch engine blast sound as the F1 logo appears on screen between each session/load into car its so grating 

@Monzie83 I'll be tagging you every post someone complains about how they deployed teamD_minorSoundBug2_fix_v1_OK in a patch instead of teamA_huge.AI.bug_fix_v4_WIP saying Codies don't care about the game so we can head slap in unison!

I would love to know how they internalize feedback and assign priorities. Annual franchise by a medium sized dev team with their own engine, the constraints and workflow got to be crazy. Even if I didn't give a damn about F1 the sport or these games, I'd still read a long form article about this any day.

My guess is that Codemasters don't have many people sitting around to work on these player suggested features in parallel to the core production of the game. And given how word out there is they have at least two internal teams rotating in the development of the games, suggestions probably hardly get picked up as-is. What we see in a given year is the result of the work of two cycles prior. 

Edit: In another thread I posted this. Just to make it clearer. My guess is that what we got in F1 2021 is mostly the result of what the guys responsible for F1 2019 got in feedback that year and what they were already baking. 

image.thumb.png.fdab2c63bed368cfd5ae952c31a95eaf.png

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, marioho said:

Edit: In another thread I posted this. Just to make it clearer. My guess is that what we got in F1 2021 is mostly the result of what the guys responsible for F1 2019 got in feedback that year and what they were already baking. 

If this is correct, then F1 2021 production was a lot longer. I certainly wouldn't be able to tell that looking at the result though. More like the exact opposite.

I guess Team B is just better then, huh? Go Team B! 🤘

• Haha 1
9 minutes ago, marioho said:

@Monzie83 I'll be tagging you every post someone complains about how they deployed teamD_minorSoundBug2_fix_v1_OK in a patch instead of teamA_huge.AI.bug_fix_v4_WIP saying Codies don't care about the game so we can head slap in unison!

I would love to know how they internalize feedback and assign priorities. Annual franchise by a medium sized dev team with their own engine, the constraints and workflow got to be crazy. Even if I didn't give a damn about F1 the sport or these games, I'd still read a long form article about this any day.

My guess is that Codemasters don't have many people sitting around to work on these player suggested features in parallel to the core production of the game. And given how word out there is they have at least two internal teams rotating in the development of the games, suggestions probably hardly get picked up as-is. What we see in a given year is the result of the work of two cycles prior. 

image.thumb.png.fdab2c63bed368cfd5ae952c31a95eaf.png

This is interesting, considering what was "special" about the games the teams worked on id say Team A is good/more oriented on graphics (2019 and 21 improvements) and Story and Team B.. well id say game mode driven but thats only F1 2020 haha.. And both not the best at car performance/driver ratings😂.. Applying this we should get more worked out MyTeam mode or something similar next year and then likely the big next gen graphics change in 2023🤔

• Like 1
On 9/2/2021 at 1:38 PM, RLLL said:

This is a perhaps an even better example of what I mean. A large number of people have complained/ requested this, and surely it’s an easy enough change (we assume) - a colour/ hex code change. I’d expect they’d address this kind of thing ASAP. 

I came across a bug report the other day that literally had one reply and one like, regarding the Dazzle Camo helmet (only available with pitcoin) being invisible - that report is now with the devs. It was the only report I found regarding this.

Obviously one is a suggestion and the other is a bug, but one will have a huge and immediate beneficial impact for the user base, and the other is clearly not a priority for most people.

It’s things like this that make me want to understand the decision process for what gets actioned for development within the game life cycle.

Edited by Monzie83

would love to know how they internalize feedback and assign priorities. Annual franchise by a medium sized dev team with their own engine, the constraints and workflow got to be crazy. Even if I didn't give a damn about F1 the sport or these games, I'd still read a long form article about this any day.

Me too. Would love to understand the inner workings of how these things are identified/ made/ improved.

I’d imagine some of the suggestions do make it into product via a patch within the game cycle, sometimes without fanfare. They can’t only be firefighting issues surely during a game cycle surely? Especially those low impact/ low complexity suggestions - just do it! Although I guess with the issues they’ve had in this release, it’s entirely possible at the moment.

In any case some of these low complexity/ low impact suggestions should definitely be incorporated in future releases, and show the user base is being listened to.

From experience I know some of these things, although seemingly simple, can be incredibly complex. Am happy to give the benefit of doubt sometimes, although at other times I do question some of the decision making based on outcomes we can tangibly see: the tyre wear popping up all the time when they deployed the fix for minor damage to pop up for example. It’s almost as if they didn’t get an internal “player” to test it and just released in the patch. That was such a fumble 🤦🏽‍♂️

I think I remember seeing this on the forums somewhere. If true, it’s fascinating for me because: continuation of user experience and consistency between titles surely must be a fundamental thing when it comes to any game series?

If there are two teams alternating the making of yearly titles, that’s all fair and well, but in some situations we’re sat here thinking they’ve chosen to remove things (and feeling short-changed) when they weren’t in the “base” build in the first place - surely any changes they make to the current game need to be built into the title being “developed” in the background?

P.S.

😂👍🏽

Edited by Monzie83
  • Monzie83 changed the title to How do mods assess or prioritise issues/ suggestions for actioning?