Jump to content Jump to content

Difference in difficulty between wet and dry conditions

I've just done qualifying for the Spanish Grand Prix in My Team - the session was wet and I had it on 77 difficulty. I came 18th but I wondered by how much I should change the difficulty between wet and dry conditions, as the race is going to be dry.

I live just east off West Ham country... great start

depends on how wet it is. If you need inters.. you can get away with tweaking what you have access to in park firm.  But start a race you needs wets... it’s a pain in the ass. A real pain.. Cause you need to have the perfect wet set up.. takes ages to get tyres up to temp.. to understeer like a pig.   But you should find ai is just as slow.. but if the race dries up you’ll probably find they fly off into the distance 

if race starts dry and gradually gets wetter it’s no big issue.

roughly 2 thirds of my races up until last patch...  I never got used to it or figured out a good base setup.  Cause weather lies... well it did up until the patch I’m much happier... couple off time just out off frustration I crashed out.  Cause I’d had enougo 

• Like 1

@ScaredDuck is basically Mr. Rain Man here but with no neurodivergence and a faster car, so whatever he says you are better off treating as gospel.

I don't change the difficulty based on weather, on principle. Currently we have a problem with the AI performance on the wet and I can perfectly see people tweaking the difficulty to compensate for that somehow, but I like to keep it the same so that any difference in the results in theory is a consequence of me being naturally better or worse in the rain – just as we see in real life. I think it isn't a good practice to aim for a certain grid position and adjust the difficulty so that you always end up there or thereabouts.

My advice would be to not fret too much about the AI level. If you know the correct ballpark for your skill level, let it stewing on that range, adjusting it only if you find that you're consistently finishing ahead or behind of the competition.

A game should be fun. You're unavoidably going to have to adjust the AI already to account for you getting better at it, don't trouble yourself with more fiddling. Unless you think that for whatever reason the difficulty isn't matching your expectations to the point of hurting the experience for you. 

• Agree 1
5 minutes ago, marioho said:

@ScaredDuck is basically Mr. Rain Man here but with no neurodivergence and a faster car, so whatever he says you are better off treating as gospel.

I don't change the difficulty based on weather, on principle. Currently we have a problem with the AI performance on the wet and I can perfectly see people tweaking the difficulty to compensate for that somehow, but I like to keep it the same so that any difference in the results in theory is a consequence of me being naturally better or worse in the rain – just as we see in real life. I think it isn't a good practice to aim for a certain grid position and adjust the difficulty so that you always end up there or thereabouts.

My advice would be to not fret too much about the AI level. If you know the correct ballpark for your skill level, let it stewing on that range, adjusting it only if you find that you're consistently finishing ahead or behind of the competition.

A game should be fun. You're unavoidably going to have to adjust the AI already to account for you getting better at it, don't trouble yourself with more fiddling. Unless you think that for whatever reason the difficulty isn't matching your expectations to the point of hurting the experience for you. 

I completely get that - I suppose the point of my question was more one of is the AI OP in the wet, so I'd have to adjust the difficulty accordingly. Sounds like it's not OP though?

No I like to keep difficulty and simulation sets constant.  I’m paranoid changing settings during  a career be it this or fifa or anything  knocks it out off balance... I normally delete and game all ssrttings before I install a new patch then I’ll restart all over again...I didn’t for the driver update and  since then they have been behaving alittle erratic.

i have one rule.  If heavy rain is forecast for the race.  But qualifying is dry... sacrifice starting position in qualifying and set the car best you can for rain...  if it looks like it’s touch and go:.,  I set car for a dry race. But try and balance it if I need a softer car I can adjust front wing tyre pressures and dif before the start off race... 

And that’s how I for the most part survive:.. 

Also add some tracks in the wet I am god..,.. on others and always Japan I am nothing

oh in wet done be a hero/. Keep flashbacks on...  because if you qualify high up the grid and your setup is slightly off...you’ll be swamped by ai cars and there will be collisions.  Ai are not anywhere near being able to simulate f1 drivers who are God’s anticipate and react.. to human drivers. 

You hear it in commentary all all the time... they will often say he knew he could pass kimi on the outside cause they know how he drives... or he thought better off trying to pass grosjean as he knows he can trust him to give him space.... ai knows nothing 

Edited by ScaredDuck
1 hour ago, ScaredDuck said:

You hear it in commentary all all the time... they will often say he knew he could pass kimi on the outside cause they know how he drives... or he thought better off trying to pass grosjean as he knows he can trust him to give him space.... ai knows nothing 

This man Formula ones. 

@ScaredDuck my dream is for Codies to pay you a round trip to Suzuka with a 2h rental of an electrical scooter for you to make peace with that circuit. 

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, marioho said:

This man Formula ones. 

@ScaredDuck my dream is for Codies to pay you a round trip to Suzuka with a 2h rental of an electrical scooter for you to make peace with that circuit. 

My season has 2 races left.... next season I can bring in one off my best tracks in China.  And goodbye Japan.... well until I upgrade enough chassis and aero 

16 hours ago, qn999 said:

I turn the AI down in the wet. A combination of the AI being on rails and me being slow. Haven’t had a lot of rain in 2021 but when I do I have to drop AI 5-10 points. 

Finally the rain has finally stopped stalking...  If you find a good wet setup in the rain and providing you drive according to conditions.  Once your  wet tyres get a few laps under their belt... You will be able to push more and be faster than ai..

Also and very  important.,  a wet track is constantly changing at w faster rate.  be it getting wetter or drier...  this is so important to keep in mind cause this means where you braking and turning point was on the previous lap won’t be the same the following lap.  Even whilst pooring down wet tyres move so much water of the racing line its the only place you be..: but as soon as it stop raining if you can’t pit straight away come off the racing line on the straights oversise you’ll overheat the tyres and I’ve hadt give try nurse them for a couple off laps when it started to dry and you slip and slide all over the pace

Edited by ScaredDuck

My number one rule when it comes to rain is always go off your own Dry setup when setting up your car. I have Dry/Inters/Full Wet setups. I also do seperate practice sessions in those 3 different conditions by seting up an a unranked lobby with AI set at what you would play against in career mode (invite only) as you mostly get people joining then leaving which then leaves there car in AI on track which can get annoying . Plug and play setups have never worked for me and what ever you do definetly do not use TT setups for career or online mode unless you know it's a decent race setup by someone you know.

1 hour ago, smudger1982 said:

My number one rule when it comes to rain is always go off your own Dry setup when setting up your car. I have Dry/Inters/Full Wet setups. I also do seperate practice sessions in those 3 different conditions by seting up an a unranked lobby with AI set at what you would play against in career mode (invite only) as you mostly get people joining then leaving which then leaves there car in AI on track which can get annoying . Plug and play setups have never worked for me and what ever you do definetly do not use TT setups for career or online mode unless you know it's a decent race setup by someone you know.

I agree that you should do different variations off your own default setups.  We all have different styles which require differing setups to get maximum benefit from both you and your cars strengths.  

I focus r&d so my car bests suits my style... 

As they say Perfect balance of man and machine 

• Agree 1