Jump to content Jump to content

Please bring back ability to change difficulty during loading screen

I'm having an absolute nightmare regarding track difficulty, first time since F1 2016, and all because the ability to change the difficulty in a loading screen has been removed.

Yes, you can change difficulty in the HQ before a session. Problem is, AI performances are varying widely for me and once I'm in a session, I'm stuck with what's set and it's spoiling the game. The loading screen menu in 2017-2020 was a lifesaver, why remove it?

Please bring it back.

Edit: I should probably put an example here. So I'm at the Monaco GP, I've set my difficulty in the HQ and I'm performing closely with my teammate during practice. Then I go into qualifying and I'm suddenly 1 second faster than him. Prior to F1 2021, I would exit the save and reload, change the difficulty in the loading screen and it would be set correctly and I can then enjoy the game.

Currently, if I exit and reload, there's no option and it'll just reload back into the session with the same incorrect difficulty. There's no way to fix it.

Edited by s00zster
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 8

The AI this year is pretty solid, i can nearly go all season long with 90 set, there are just couple of tracks where you need to adjust. Do Training session before to adjust it properly for qualy.then you have 3 chances before q3 to find your balance. Write it down and your are good until f1 2022 is released.

On 9/5/2021 at 4:16 AM, svensenk86 said:

The AI this year is pretty solid, i can nearly go all season long with 90 set, there are just couple of tracks where you need to adjust. Do Training session before to adjust it properly for qualy.then you have 3 chances before q3 to find your balance. Write it down and your are good until f1 2022 is released.

The thing is, with the loading screen option we can change difficulty setting freely by just quitting to the menu and jump back in. Atm once the session is started there's no way out, you're stuck with the difficulty settings until you finish it. 

To put it simply, there's no reason to remove such a convenient function, there'll always be a moment where you would like to adjust the settings, either because of mistake or just want the option. Unless you're one of those monsters who could lap the 110 Ai in a Williams. 

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1
30 minutes ago, DRTApophis said:

The thing is, with the loading screen option we can change difficulty setting freely by just quitting to the menu and jump back in. Atm once the session is started there's no way out, you're stuck with the difficulty settings until you finish it. 

To put it simply, there's no reason to remove such a convenient function, there'll always be a moment where you would like to adjust the settings, either because of mistake or just want the option. Unless you're one of those monsters who could lap the 110 Ai in a Williams. 

Ten a penny on this forum.... racing gods the lot off them

disney+ has the Martian under comedy movies🤔Suppose managing to get yourself stranded on mars would be quite comical.   

And buffy under horror...  

Edited by ScaredDuck
  • Haha 1
On 9/5/2021 at 9:16 AM, svensenk86 said:

I had no problems with the AI last year, 94 all the way throughout the season (94 has been my difficulty for several years now), first time I was able to go the whole season without changing. This year though, it's horrendous. I'm guessing the new tyre model has something to do with it, having an extra influence on the AI in certain corners.

I just tried clearing my file and starting a new career. Seemed to go fine at first, and then my teammate was consistently 1 second ahead of me no matter how far down I put the difficulty. Started at 84, went all the way down to 63 and I was still 1 second off, all in the same weekend. There's something really, really off somewhere. Going to try setting tyres to surface only, see if it's the tyre model causing me to be consistently slow.

Edit: Never mind, that didn't work.

Edited by s00zster
4 hours ago, s00zster said:

I had no problems with the AI last year, 94 all the way throughout the season (94 has been my difficulty for several years now), first time I was able to go the whole season without changing. This year though, it's horrendous. I'm guessing the new tyre model has something to do with it, having an extra influence on the AI in certain corners.

I just tried clearing my file and starting a new career. Seemed to go fine at first, and then my teammate was consistently 1 second ahead of me no matter how far down I put the difficulty. Started at 84, went all the way down to 63 and I was still 1 second off, all in the same weekend. There's something really, really off somewhere. Going to try setting tyres to surface only, see if it's the tyre model causing me to be consistently slow.

Edit: Never mind, that didn't work.

How then did you survive Suzuka (where AI was a bit overp.) compared to Austria (where the AI Was really slow) ? I guess in one race you had to fight for your Position and Austria felt like a walk in the Park then? I remember in 2020 i used 82 in suzuka and 101 in Austria.  

3 hours ago, svensenk86 said:

How then did you survive Suzuka (where AI was a bit overp.) compared to Austria (where the AI Was really slow) ? I guess in one race you had to fight for your Position and Austria felt like a walk in the Park then? I remember in 2020 i used 82 in suzuka and 101 in Austria.  

Hate Suzuka... always have always will... doesn’t flow right for me.  It’s odd but on every racing game it’s the same... Only bit I do well is the last chicane 

Edited by ScaredDuck
4 minutes ago, ScaredDuck said:

Hate Suzuka... always have always will... doesn’t flow right for me.  It’s odd but on every racing game it’s the same... Only bit I do well is the last chicane 

Really? I like it,good old track with gravel right next to it,no discussions about track Limits,when you are too fast your lap is wasted,miss those tracks. All those new "city" circuits i do not like. 

2 minutes ago, svensenk86 said:

Really? I like it,good old track with gravel right next to it,no discussions about track Limits,when you are too fast your lap is wasted,miss those tracks. All those new "city" circuits i do not like. 

Now I like the city track... love baku... don’t have to worry about track limits there either... but the walls are a little less forgiving 😂

Edited by ScaredDuck

So it's happened again. Absolutely dead level with my teammate (Gasly) throughout practice, then I get to qualifying and somehow I end up on pole, 0.700 ahead of Verstappen, Gasly's in 8th 1.5 seconds off.

Then I made the mistake of clicking through to the race forgetting to change the difficulty in the HQ because I was distacted by real life stuff for 10 minutes. So now I'm stuck in the race with a difficulty that's made my Alpha Tauri unstoppable compared to Red Bull and Mercedes.

Unfortunately I'm going to ask again: Please, please, PLEASE bring back the ability to change the difficulty in the loading menu. This is killing the game for me, I pre-ordered it and I'm so close to uninstalling it because this kind of thing is really ruining the fun. When the menu came in 2017 it turned the game around for me and I was finally able to truly enjoy it knowing that I could always tweak it for the best experience.

The menu exists inbetween races when you do F2 races in Career Mode, it couldn't be that difficult to bring it back to F1 career, surely?

@BarryBL is there any chance you could pass this onto the devs with the hope that they'll bring this vital menu back?

• Agree 1
1 hour ago, s00zster said:

So it's happened again. Absolutely dead level with my teammate (Gasly) throughout practice, then I get to qualifying and somehow I end up on pole, 0.700 ahead of Verstappen, Gasly's in 8th 1.5 seconds off.

Then I made the mistake of clicking through to the race forgetting to change the difficulty in the HQ because I was distacted by real life stuff for 10 minutes. So now I'm stuck in the race with a difficulty that's made my Alpha Tauri unstoppable compared to Red Bull and Mercedes.

Unfortunately I'm going to ask again: Please, please, PLEASE bring back the ability to change the difficulty in the loading menu. This is killing the game for me, I pre-ordered it and I'm so close to uninstalling it because this kind of thing is really ruining the fun. When the menu came in 2017 it turned the game around for me and I was finally able to truly enjoy it knowing that I could always tweak it for the best experience.

The menu exists inbetween races when you do F2 races in Career Mode, it couldn't be that difficult to bring it back to F1 career, surely?

@BarryBL is there any chance you could pass this onto the devs with the hope that they'll bring this vital menu back?

Just a thought. In practice are you using max power I.e. full ERS, highest fuel (if allowed - sorry I don't own 2021) and softest tyres? If so, then ideally I'd say you need to be using mediocre power for practice to align as everything is cranked up in qualy. If you are already cranked in practice, you won't get any faster but the AI will.

14 minutes ago, martbloke said:

Just a thought. In practice are you using max power I.e. full ERS, highest fuel (if allowed - sorry I don't own 2021) and softest tyres? If so, then ideally I'd say you need to be using mediocre power for practice to align as everything is cranked up in qualy. If you are already cranked in practice, you won't get any faster but the AI will.

Nope, I use everything Standard that the game sets me to (unless it's a qualifying sim, which I haven't done recently) specifically so that I know where I am compared to AI. I also understand changing parts would have an effect, but I always do that after first practice so that in practice 2 I can re-gauge my performance.

Like I said, everything is absolutely level with my teammate during practice, then out of the blue (at least for this and one other race), I'm suddenly 1 to 1.5 seconds faster in qualifying for no reason at all.

I did the race and I was outrunning Hamilton and didn't have to use ERS once. I finished second and it was such a hollow feeling, no satisfaction at all. This has killed the game for me.

Edited by s00zster
  • Like 1