Jump to content Jump to content

Please bring back ability to change difficulty during loading screen

The AI this year is pretty solid, i can nearly go all season long with 90 set, there are just couple of tracks where you need to adjust. Do Training session before to adjust it properly for qualy.then you have 3 chances before q3 to find your balance. Write it down and your are good until f1 2022 is released.

On 9/5/2021 at 4:16 AM, svensenk86 said:

The AI this year is pretty solid, i can nearly go all season long with 90 set, there are just couple of tracks where you need to adjust. Do Training session before to adjust it properly for qualy.then you have 3 chances before q3 to find your balance. Write it down and your are good until f1 2022 is released.

The thing is, with the loading screen option we can change difficulty setting freely by just quitting to the menu and jump back in. Atm once the session is started there's no way out, you're stuck with the difficulty settings until you finish it. 

To put it simply, there's no reason to remove such a convenient function, there'll always be a moment where you would like to adjust the settings, either because of mistake or just want the option. Unless you're one of those monsters who could lap the 110 Ai in a Williams. 

• Haha 1
  • Agree 2
30 minutes ago, DRTApophis said:

The thing is, with the loading screen option we can change difficulty setting freely by just quitting to the menu and jump back in. Atm once the session is started there's no way out, you're stuck with the difficulty settings until you finish it. 

To put it simply, there's no reason to remove such a convenient function, there'll always be a moment where you would like to adjust the settings, either because of mistake or just want the option. Unless you're one of those monsters who could lap the 110 Ai in a Williams. 

Ten a penny on this forum.... racing gods the lot off them

disney+ has the Martian under comedy movies🤔Suppose managing to get yourself stranded on mars would be quite comical.   

And buffy under horror...  

Edited by ScaredDuck
  • Haha 2
On 9/5/2021 at 9:16 AM, svensenk86 said:

I had no problems with the AI last year, 94 all the way throughout the season (94 has been my difficulty for several years now), first time I was able to go the whole season without changing. This year though, it's horrendous. I'm guessing the new tyre model has something to do with it, having an extra influence on the AI in certain corners.

I just tried clearing my file and starting a new career. Seemed to go fine at first, and then my teammate was consistently 1 second ahead of me no matter how far down I put the difficulty. Started at 84, went all the way down to 63 and I was still 1 second off, all in the same weekend. There's something really, really off somewhere. Going to try setting tyres to surface only, see if it's the tyre model causing me to be consistently slow.

Edit: Never mind, that didn't work.

Edited by s00zster
4 hours ago, s00zster said:

I had no problems with the AI last year, 94 all the way throughout the season (94 has been my difficulty for several years now), first time I was able to go the whole season without changing. This year though, it's horrendous. I'm guessing the new tyre model has something to do with it, having an extra influence on the AI in certain corners.

I just tried clearing my file and starting a new career. Seemed to go fine at first, and then my teammate was consistently 1 second ahead of me no matter how far down I put the difficulty. Started at 84, went all the way down to 63 and I was still 1 second off, all in the same weekend. There's something really, really off somewhere. Going to try setting tyres to surface only, see if it's the tyre model causing me to be consistently slow.

Edit: Never mind, that didn't work.

How then did you survive Suzuka (where AI was a bit overp.) compared to Austria (where the AI Was really slow) ? I guess in one race you had to fight for your Position and Austria felt like a walk in the Park then? I remember in 2020 i used 82 in suzuka and 101 in Austria.  

3 hours ago, svensenk86 said:

How then did you survive Suzuka (where AI was a bit overp.) compared to Austria (where the AI Was really slow) ? I guess in one race you had to fight for your Position and Austria felt like a walk in the Park then? I remember in 2020 i used 82 in suzuka and 101 in Austria.  

Hate Suzuka... always have always will... doesn’t flow right for me.  It’s odd but on every racing game it’s the same... Only bit I do well is the last chicane 

Edited by ScaredDuck
4 minutes ago, ScaredDuck said:

Hate Suzuka... always have always will... doesn’t flow right for me.  It’s odd but on every racing game it’s the same... Only bit I do well is the last chicane 

Really? I like it,good old track with gravel right next to it,no discussions about track Limits,when you are too fast your lap is wasted,miss those tracks. All those new "city" circuits i do not like. 

2 minutes ago, svensenk86 said:

Really? I like it,good old track with gravel right next to it,no discussions about track Limits,when you are too fast your lap is wasted,miss those tracks. All those new "city" circuits i do not like. 

Now I like the city track... love baku... don’t have to worry about track limits there either... but the walls are a little less forgiving 😂

Edited by ScaredDuck

So it's happened again. Absolutely dead level with my teammate (Gasly) throughout practice, then I get to qualifying and somehow I end up on pole, 0.700 ahead of Verstappen, Gasly's in 8th 1.5 seconds off.

Then I made the mistake of clicking through to the race forgetting to change the difficulty in the HQ because I was distacted by real life stuff for 10 minutes. So now I'm stuck in the race with a difficulty that's made my Alpha Tauri unstoppable compared to Red Bull and Mercedes.

Unfortunately I'm going to ask again: Please, please, PLEASE bring back the ability to change the difficulty in the loading menu. This is killing the game for me, I pre-ordered it and I'm so close to uninstalling it because this kind of thing is really ruining the fun. When the menu came in 2017 it turned the game around for me and I was finally able to truly enjoy it knowing that I could always tweak it for the best experience.

The menu exists inbetween races when you do F2 races in Career Mode, it couldn't be that difficult to bring it back to F1 career, surely?

@BarryBL is there any chance you could pass this onto the devs with the hope that they'll bring this vital menu back?

• Agree 1
1 hour ago, s00zster said:

So it's happened again. Absolutely dead level with my teammate (Gasly) throughout practice, then I get to qualifying and somehow I end up on pole, 0.700 ahead of Verstappen, Gasly's in 8th 1.5 seconds off.

Then I made the mistake of clicking through to the race forgetting to change the difficulty in the HQ because I was distacted by real life stuff for 10 minutes. So now I'm stuck in the race with a difficulty that's made my Alpha Tauri unstoppable compared to Red Bull and Mercedes.

Unfortunately I'm going to ask again: Please, please, PLEASE bring back the ability to change the difficulty in the loading menu. This is killing the game for me, I pre-ordered it and I'm so close to uninstalling it because this kind of thing is really ruining the fun. When the menu came in 2017 it turned the game around for me and I was finally able to truly enjoy it knowing that I could always tweak it for the best experience.

The menu exists inbetween races when you do F2 races in Career Mode, it couldn't be that difficult to bring it back to F1 career, surely?

@BarryBL is there any chance you could pass this onto the devs with the hope that they'll bring this vital menu back?

Just a thought. In practice are you using max power I.e. full ERS, highest fuel (if allowed - sorry I don't own 2021) and softest tyres? If so, then ideally I'd say you need to be using mediocre power for practice to align as everything is cranked up in qualy. If you are already cranked in practice, you won't get any faster but the AI will.

14 minutes ago, martbloke said:

Just a thought. In practice are you using max power I.e. full ERS, highest fuel (if allowed - sorry I don't own 2021) and softest tyres? If so, then ideally I'd say you need to be using mediocre power for practice to align as everything is cranked up in qualy. If you are already cranked in practice, you won't get any faster but the AI will.

Nope, I use everything Standard that the game sets me to (unless it's a qualifying sim, which I haven't done recently) specifically so that I know where I am compared to AI. I also understand changing parts would have an effect, but I always do that after first practice so that in practice 2 I can re-gauge my performance.

Like I said, everything is absolutely level with my teammate during practice, then out of the blue (at least for this and one other race), I'm suddenly 1 to 1.5 seconds faster in qualifying for no reason at all.

I did the race and I was outrunning Hamilton and didn't have to use ERS once. I finished second and it was such a hollow feeling, no satisfaction at all. This has killed the game for me.

Edited by s00zster
  • Like 1
On 9/18/2021 at 7:40 AM, s00zster said:

Sorry, I'm going to bump this post, I'd really like a response. @BarryBL

This keeps happening and I just can't play this game anymore. I'm ripping my hair out because the difficulty is fluctuating so much between sessions, let alone races, like I've never experienced before and the game won't allow me to change difficulty once I've entered a session.

£50 for 2 months of play and nothing to show for it. I haven't even completed a single season of either career mode because of this issue.

Please. Bring the loading screen difficulty menu back, otherwise this game is completely and utterly dead to me and I can't see me buying it in future without this vital menu. F1 is my obsession and it's got me through some really dark times in the past few years, please just do this one thing so I can enjoy the one thing I truly love again.

Edited by s00zster
  • Agree 4
On 9/22/2021 at 3:50 AM, s00zster said:

Sorry, I'm going to bump this post, I'd really like a response. @BarryBL

This keeps happening and I just can't play this game anymore. I'm ripping my hair out because the difficulty is fluctuating so much between sessions, let alone races, like I've never experienced before and the game won't allow me to change difficulty once I've entered a session.

£50 for 2 months of play and nothing to show for it. I haven't even completed a single season of either career mode because of this issue.

Please. Bring the loading screen difficulty menu back, otherwise this game is completely and utterly dead to me and I can't see me buying it in future without this vital menu. F1 is my obsession and it's got me through some really dark times in the past few years, please just do this one thing so I can enjoy the one thing I truly love again.

I completely agree, especially as someone playing an F1 game for essentially the first time, and on a wheel for the first time.  Starting MyTeam and going into the first race, I guessed at like 40 difficulty.  I was way quicker than my teammate, so I turned it up.  Then I turned it up again.  Then I qualified fourth, so I turned it up again.  I went into the first race at 73 difficulty and was comfortably in 7th before getting a mechanical DNF five laps from the end.  That was Bahrain, which as I understand it is a slow track.

I didn't change the difficulty for race two in Portimao.  I think I finished 14th, which felt about right, though I was still going about a second a lap quicker than my teammate.  But I had the 7th-ish best car, so despite the gap to the teammate I figured I was about where I should be.

Race three was Spain, and my goodness.  I couldn't complete the practice programs - the required pace was too fast.  I dropped the difficulty to 69, qualified 20th (a tenth of a second behind my teammate) and finished P17 after a whole bunch of utterly absurd AI aggression (and three DNFs by cars ahead of me).  If Sergio Perez doesn't run me off the road again when I've already gone wide to let him pass under a blue flag, it'll be too soon.

Race four is Monaco, and I've tried the race strategy program, and I'll have to turn the difficulty down a ton.  I'm coming in at more than two seconds a lap slower than the required pace.  So the first session is a complete wash.  And then, like, I know I'll turn it back down to 40 or whatever is necessary to complete the race strategy program, but when I go into race five I'll be a second faster than Hamilton or whatever and have to turn it back up again.  It does sorta feel like the AI difficulty is a huge, huge range, and I haven't even gotten to Silverstone or Spa or the other tracks where people say the AI is too fast through certain corners.  Nor have I done a race in the wet.

I know this is a different game and a different type of game and a different philosophy to Forza, but damn, at least in terms of consistency of experience from day to day, there's no comparison.

And then -- damn, man.   I plug my lap times into one of the difficulty calculator websites, and it's like you should be racing at 10 AI.  Does the game even go that low?  You're awful, but if I use those suggested settings I'm coming in ten seconds a lap faster than my teammate!

Edited by astuterainfall
  • Confused 1

Bahrain a slow track?  Of course your ridiculously slow at Monaco first season my team.... it’s a ridiculous track that I miss out.  Cause I’m rubbish at it. And what’s different between changing the difficulty on loading screen compared to the start off each session like now

Edited by ScaredDuck

Sorry -- I realize that's unclear and confusing.  What I meant was that Bahrain is, as I understand it, a track where the AI is relatively slow compared to the player, that it's a track where you'd usually race on a higher difficulty relative to Spain, for example, to get the right balance.

• Thanks 1
Just now, astuterainfall said:

Sorry -- I realize that's unclear and confusing.  What I meant was that Bahrain is, as I understand it, a track where the AI is relatively slow compared to the player, that it's a track where you'd usually race on a higher difficulty relative to Spain, for example, to get the right balance.

Ah got ya now and agree Bahrain the ai is easier

I agree with the OP. We need to be able to change difficulty before a session, but after the workstation screen. I've had this in qualifying, where I'm ridiculously fast in Q1 because the difficulty is too low, so being able to bump it up a bit would put my result more in line with how my car should perform.

I find this to be the case mostly when I don't get the qualifying pace programme, as I gauge the qualifying difficulty by that.

• Agree 1
1 hour ago, WestHam66 said:

I agree with the OP. We need to be able to change difficulty before a session, but after the workstation screen. I've had this in qualifying, where I'm ridiculously fast in Q1 because the difficulty is too low, so being able to bump it up a bit would put my result more in line with how my car should perform.

I find this to be the case mostly when I don't get the qualifying pace programme, as I gauge the qualifying difficulty by that.

Especially true when you have the difficulty at x.  Then you go to a new track, and x is way too low.  So session 1 is pointless.  Then you raise it to y, but y is still too low.  So session 2 is still pretty pointless for measuring race difficulty, and you've already used two of the three. 

3 hours ago, astuterainfall said:

Especially true when you have the difficulty at x.  Then you go to a new track, and x is way too low.  So session 1 is pointless.  Then you raise it to y, but y is still too low.  So session 2 is still pretty pointless for measuring race difficulty, and you've already used two of the three. 

It's why only having a random selection of three programmes doesn't work for me. In my first couple of seasons of careers on F1 2019, I would do all five programmes to get the resource points but as I needed fewer from the third season onwards, I'd only do two or three. One of those would always be qualifying pace but I wasn't too bothered if I completed it or not as I used it for the difficulty.

Edited by WestHam66
  • Agree 2
15 minutes ago, WestHam66 said:

It's why only having a random selection of three programmes doesn't work for me. In my first couple of seasons of careers on F1 2019, I would do all five programmes to get the resource points but as I needed fewer from the third season onwards, I'd only do two or three. One of those would always be qualifying pace but I wasn't too bothered if I completed it or not as I used it for the difficulty.

I don't mind the programs; it's the limited number of practice sessions without being able to change difficulty.  It's literally three strikes and you're out of time.  It incentivizes trying to find a safe, easy difficulty rather than challenging yourself.

Edited by astuterainfall
  • Agree 1
34 minutes ago, astuterainfall said:

I don't mind the programs; it's the limited number of practice sessions without being able to change difficulty.  It's literally three strikes and you're out of time.  It incentivizes trying to find a safe, easy difficulty rather than challenging yourself.

Or you bump it up and end up way off the pace

• Agree 1