Jump to content Jump to content

Online Multiplayer on PlayStation

I'm curious how well/badly online mulitiplayer is working for others on PlayStation now? I posted the report linked below showing how useless it still is for me (including thrilling video evidence!) but I have no idea if it's common or not.

Edited by Ultra3142
  • Thanks 1

It’s the same on Xbox too so it’s a console problem but not sure about pc(know loading problems and server crashes for league races pc problem as well as console though, could be solved with dedicated servers but codies don’t want to spend the profits they get from us back into supporting the game properly.

• Like 1
  • Ultra3142 changed the title to Online Multiplayer on PlayStation

I've edited the title to say PlayStation rather than PS5, since I think lobbies are joint PS4 and PS5, right?

55 minutes ago, Silverchris said:

It’s the same on Xbox too so it’s a console problem but not sure about pc(know loading problems and server crashes for league races pc problem as well as console though, could be solved with dedicated servers but codies don’t want to spend the profits they get from us back into supporting the game properly.

Thanks. I've been working on the assumption it's hopeless for everyone but on at least one thread I had a discussion with someone who seemed to think it wasn't too bad so I thought I'd try to find out. Possibly it's improved on PC but not console. I know it was hopeless on PC too, as shown by for example Jimmy Broadbent's video on the subject. 

• Agree 1

Anyone saying it's not so bad isn't a big player of the mode, is trolling or doesn't know what to expect from it when it's working. I note that same users other comments about his overall opinion of the game didn't mention online at all, so I don't think it's a valid opinion to be honest. 

I haven't experienced what you have however the overall experience on Playstation is poor and I'm not really playing it much at the moment. 

I can go into multiplayer and join a ranked lobby to be put in.a lobby by myself, this can happen 3 or 4 times in a row.. this should never happen at all or very, very rarely if so, not almost every single time I boot the game. If I do get a lobby I'm lucky if there's more than 5 other players, and very often a race will be in progress and not near the end. 

If it is near the end, it's pointless hanging around if there's not many players as that group is going to get split in half anyway as the game removes half of a lobby every time a race is over and scatters them into empty lobbies, meaning you cannot get in a good lobby and then roll that over to several busy races, something still possible to do in F1 2020 today. 

All of this creates it's own issues as less players are playing because they don't want to deal with these issues so it becomes harder and harder to get a good race as time goes on without any fixes for this. 

A 25% Ranked race is pretty much impossible unless you want to roll around for 18 laps against the 2 other players online. 

This is all Ranked experience, which should in theory be the busiest and most hectic of the online modes, and again is still performing well on F1 2020 today. 

I did play a few Experienced social lobbies and for whatever reason was often moved from that lobby into a 5 lap beginner lobby by the game, no idea why. 

Meanwhile having a blast on GT Sport again and there's never an empty lobby there, please, don't be so silly. 

Edited by KNT2011
  • Thanks 2
6 minutes ago, KNT2011 said:

All of this creates it's own issues as less players are playing because they don't want to deal with these issues so it becomes harder and harder to get a good race as time goes on without any fixes for this. 

Agreed. I've only very occassionally tried as I basically view it as 'broken' and have been putting off trying to use it until its hopefully been fixed. I hope if there is a significant change that Codemasters make this prominent in the relevant patch notes, to hopefully encourage people who may have given up to try again.

I'll be honest I was fully expecting teething troubles for the first week or two but to be where I think we are this long post-launch is not good :classic_sad:.

Edited by Ultra3142
  • Agree 1

I was bored yesterday evening because my career race would take so long when i start it so i decided to my first online race in f1 games 😄 when online i was playing gt Sport.

I am on the ps5, i did 2 ranked races, we were 8 guys i think. I was impressed by the netcode,very fluent gaming i have to say.

But same old Story like gt Sport (i was B driver class) too many guys just do not take it serious...in Spa i had Pole and won,all good, and in russia first corner one dude used me as a breaking point...fun gone, too much autoscooter guys out there. i prefer the AI. Maybe when i have 30min open i will do another race,but i stick to career mode. Otherwise i do my races against others in the racing unleashed lounge,this is serious gaming 👌

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Ultra3142 said:

Agreed. I've only very occassionally tried as I basically view it as 'broken' and have been putting off trying to use it until its hopefully been fixed. I hope if there is a significant change that Codemasters make this prominent in the relevant patch notes, to hopefully encourage people who may have given up to try again.

I'll be honest I was fully expecting teething troubles for the first week or two but to be where I think we are this long post-launch is not good :classic_sad:.

I know 2020 had it's issues and people have their complaints about it but it at least functioned in the way it's designed and delivered some great races and moments with packed grids over several Ranked races, could spend hour or more in 1 lobby, getting more heated as it went, lol. 

2021 is a real shame if you're mostly an online player. Like you say, talking near two months now and still the same core problems. 

• Agree 1
3 minutes ago, svensenk86 said:

But same old Story like gt Sport (i was B driver class) too many guys just do not take it serious...in Spa i had Pole and won,all good, and in russia first corner one dude used me as a breaking point...fun gone, too much autoscooter guys out there. i prefer the AI. Maybe when i have 30min open i will do another race,but i stick to career mode. Otherwise i do my races against others in the racing unleashed lounge,this is serious gaming 👌

One reason that the 'Beginner Friendly' option may appeal to more than just beginners is that it has collisions off. Although obviously overtaking by driving through someone isn't real racing.

• Agree 1

Sorry, I don’t do these kind of races, it’s mostly carnage and has little to do with racing. People are unwilling to give up a position, they’d rather ran you off instead of letting you pass. Just doing league races basically or race with people I know.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
1 minute ago, BarryB said:

Sorry, I don’t do these kind of races, it’s mostly carnage and has little to do with racing. People are unwilling to give up a position, they’d rather ran you off instead of letting you pass. Just doing league races basically or race with people I know.

So why respond to the thread?

@Ultra3142

I play the weekly GP events and experienced 25% social online races. Weekly events are my favorite as I find it to have no issues and have less bad drivers than the 25% social races. Now for the 25% social races, they are hit or miss with getting connected. But once connected, no issues. As for the racing mostly bad due to bad drivers. If you can keep your nose clean it can be fun. But for the most part, it's mostly dodging those guys until the herd thins out. The safety car is a huge pain in the a$$ as no one pays attention and you have to watch both in front of you and behind you plus the timer, plus make adjustments all at the same time. It's a lot to do all at once plus drink beer. There is a ton of wrecks during safety car. Lots of "brake checkers" too. I just try to cruise until the herd thins, then drop the hammer. Passing the few guys in front of you is the next issue. Nobody likes to be passed, you just have to wait for you chance. Apply some pressure until the go off. More then likely, I'm taken out in the first corner in most races. You can always leave the room and go find another one and start the process again. 25% social races can be fun, just depends on the guys you are racing with. 

• Like 1
53 minutes ago, Getts0388 said:

Weekly events are my favorite as I find it to have no issues

Yes, same for me, when there have been weekly event GPs they've always worked perfectly for me. Which makes it more frustrating that the other multiplayer options seem to have so many issues.

2 hours ago, BarryB said:

Yes, league racing definitely seems the best bet to get decent racing with other human players. Right now I'm not in the position to make the required regualr time committment, and frankly I'm not really good enough either! As I said above, the reason I'd actually been trying the 'Beginner Friendly' option was because collisions are set to off for this mode. 

As someone who is only using the Multiplayer modes (and to some extent time trial) I want to post my experiences with the mode, now that the game is almost 2 months old:

Ranked:

In the 2020 game, ranked was my favourite mode for some casual 5 laps lobbys, as you could find some nice lobbys and drive 1-2 h with the same guys without drivers crashing into you left and right. But this year I haven't touched ranked since late July, since it's so broken. At the beginning the game would crash after one race, now after "fixes" the lobby is split after each race. So unless there is a fundamental fix to this mode coming, I will not touch it again (which is a shame). Ah and not to forget, that ghosting was turned off for ranked at the beginning..

Social play:

The menu and filter are absolut shockers. The menu is not giving as much as information necessary as last years' menu. The filter doesn't work: I search for Europe and the first page of results is full of Oceanic or American Lobbys, same for every other setting. Furthermore only two pages of lobbies are shown..

But what's worse is that my friends and myself spent so many hours watching lobbies crash before our very own eyes.. U can bet that after 3-4 races maximum, the lobby will crash in a loading screen. 

And the amount of bad and disrespectful racing has increased so much compared to 2020..

Don't get me wrong, you can still have some fun there, but most of the times this happens when you drive with drivers you already know..

• Thanks 1

I remember trying to lobby filters early on and them simply not working at all. I think it may have been no-assist lobbies I tried searching for but whatever it was the results bore no relation to what I'd chosen!

Ranked mode had nobody playing it last season because the ranking system was broken, this game nobody is playing ranked mode because it doesnt work. You just end up in a lobby by yourself and have to keep sitting in menus waiting for ages, before it puts you into a race with 2 other people and then one of them decides to crash into you. Pointless mode.

• Like 1

I only watched a few seconds of your video. Do you only click on the beginner friendly option?

I click on browse option on the right, and there are like a hundred available races, (mostly 5 lap races). There are always one or two lobbies with a 60 mintute practice session with no assists, (usually guys practicing for a league race), so you can find some fast people to practice with. 

If you use click browse, then sort by race length, you should be able to find some lobbies. Just seems not many people are interested in anything other than 5 lap damage off races. I have been locked out of a few and had some glitches, but no worse than last year. Never been kicked out of a session thats started, but some trouble joining sessions after everyone clicks the ready to join button. 

Edit, on playstation also. 

Edited by ChicagoSeminole
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, RLLL said:

Ranked mode had nobody playing it last season because the ranking system was broken, this game nobody is playing ranked mode because it doesnt work. You just end up in a lobby by yourself and have to keep sitting in menus waiting for ages, before it puts you into a race with 2 other people and then one of them decides to crash into you. Pointless mode.

Only played ranked a few times, but I have actually had more success this year than last year finding 25% races with more than 8 people. (Don't really do ranked, but always click on it to see if it works! when I turn on the game)

But my safety rating is at B or C, getting a A or S made it impossible to find a lobby last year. 

2 minutes ago, ChicagoSeminole said:

I only watched a few seconds of your video. Do you only click on the beginner friendly option?

Yes, as I was demonstrating the performance of that one game mode, and the 'bug' report was specific to this. It took 17 minutes to start one race :classic_rolleyes:.

I take your point about being able to find races in other ways though :classic_smile:.

5 minutes ago, Ultra3142 said:

Yes, as I was demonstrating the performance of that one game mode, and the 'bug' report was specific to this. It took 17 minutes to start one race :classic_rolleyes:.

I take your point about being able to find races in other ways though :classic_smile:.

Maybe Beginner friendly may be searching for races with steering and/or brake assist set to ON or something, which are the only two assists that almost everybody turns off for a unranked lobby. Seems like most lobbies turn off ers and fuel assist too. IDK just a thought. 

But yeah, I have no issues finding races in unranked. And very few issues with connection glitches or issues. 

13 minutes ago, ChicagoSeminole said:

Maybe Beginner friendly may be searching for races with steering and/or brake assist set to ON or something, which are the only two assists that almost everybody turns off for a unranked lobby. Seems like most lobbies turn off ers and fuel assist too. IDK just a thought. 

No, it's an entirely seperate game mode to the list of lobbies that can be searched for. It's like ranked mulitplayer in this regard. When you get into a race you can do so with no assists if you want (I have). The key difference is that collisions are set to off.

Edited by Ultra3142
5 minutes ago, Ultra3142 said:

No, it's an entirely seperate game mode to the list of lobbies that can be searched for. It's like ranked mulitplayer in this regard. When you get into a race you can do so with no assists if you want (I have). The key difference is that collisions are set to off.

Oh, well collisons off is dumb, so maybe most people have no interest in it.  Its not a connection issue. Its just a dumb game mode that shouldn't be in the game. 

5 minutes ago, ChicagoSeminole said:

Oh, well collisons off is dumb, so maybe most people have no interest in it.  Its not a connection issue. Its just a dumb game mode that shouldn't be in the game. 

No that's not the issue. If you're really bored watch my video for proof but I'd suggest you just leave this :classic_smile:.