Jump to content Jump to content

F1® 2021 | Barry's Basics | Setting Up For Controller Play

BarryBL

• Administrator

Hi everyone,

Now we've all played a fair amount of F1® 2021, I wanted to share some of the things I have found while testing the game, and some helpful tips to make the most out of your experience. I've decided to add a short series called Barry's Basics, some (hopefully helpful) extra pieces of information to improve your on-track experience. 

Yeah, but why you Barry? What makes you special?

Honestly, absolutely nothing. I race in our Forum Championship, and spend a lot of time testing the game and attempting replication of issues. There are some settings I use to be competitive enough and, most importantly, comfortable. The most annoying thing I do is crash during a test, meaning I have to start again. My settings are designed to avoid this, and still keep the game fun to play and competitive.

So, these are 'META' right? 

Nope. I'm sorry to report I'm simply a slightly above average driver, and these aren't the most META tricks or anything. Just some things to try that might be useful. 

Why do it then?

Good question. I've tested some of these setups and they seem popular with a small sample size (basically my brother and my fellow CB for my football team). Maybe they help you too. Also, this will be a open section, where people can post their settings on this topic (try to keep it on topic if possible please) for others to try out. 

I'll get right to Part 1 : Controller Settings.

Platforms: Xbox One S, Xbox Series S and PC

Controllers Used: Xbox One Controller + PowerA Fusion Pro Controller

Generic Controller Settings:

20210906180647_1.jpg

Bit harsh, aren't they? I've personally found the rear a little strong, and the kerbs hard to predict, under controller especially. 

What I use in testing:

20210906180724_1.jpg

20210906180752_1.jpg

Heavy amounts of Force Feedback can prove difficult with controller when I've been testing, so I've lowered basically everything down. I've also added Linearity to all 3, and it has made my experience slightly quicker, but more importantly, more controllable for longer tests and more comfortable if I need to push a bit. For myself, and my small test sample, these were quite the improvement.

Do you have some nice controller settings you want to share with others? I encourage everyone to share, discuss and share opinions. Want to test mine? Go ahead. 

Also, I'm taking requests. I have lined up a nice Cockpit camera angle I use that is a line between immersive and engaging, and some wheel settings that may prove helpful. If there's anything you'd like to look at, DM me ideas. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

Why am I not surprised that Barry plays as CB? Anyway.

On my behalf, I suggest everyone to spend some time on the Controller Settings > Calibration menu in the Test Buttons functionality – touchpad on PS4, whatever the double squares ⧠ button is on XBOX. Try to get used to what 10%, 25-33%, 50% and 75-80% of throttle/brake applications feels like on the triggers. That's muscle memory and will help you a lot when putting power down on corner exit and when trail braking. 

The numbers are arbitrary but you get the gist.

If you cannot hit those marks consistently, try fiddling with Saturation and Linearity settings for both throttle and brake inputs.

• Administrator
14 hours ago, marioho said:

Why am I not surprised that Barry plays as CB? Anyway.

On my behalf, I suggest everyone to spend some time on the Controller Settings > Calibration menu in the Test Buttons functionality – touchpad on PS4, whatever the double squares ⧠ button is on XBOX. Try to get used to what 10%, 25-33%, 50% and 75-80% of throttle/brake applications feels like on the triggers. That's muscle memory and will help you a lot when putting power down on corner exit and when trail braking. 

The numbers are arbitrary but you get the gist.

If you cannot hit those marks consistently, try fiddling with Saturation and Linearity settings for both throttle and brake inputs.

More of a converted CB @marioho. Absolutely a CM or a CAM if I'm honest, but were short at the back. Classic Sunday League football problems. 

Good advice. Finding where the 100% is is key from a pure troubleshooting POV, but knowing the inputs is crucial.

• Like 1

Ps5, I like max ffb... except ontrack... 75... cuts out constant straight line vibration.  270 on max wheel rotation.  Triggers strong like me😁. Then 50% linearity on steering, throttle and braking.  

I do play around with steering linearity depending on track and conditions 

I find after prolonged in race use... it helps to give controller a rest.  Tends to feel lazy after a while... found pausing race for 5 minutes. Makes it eager again.... 

I thought classic Sunday league problems were finding a ref brave/stupid enough to referee.  

Edited by ScaredDuck

I retract my previous statement.. whenever I watched a YouTubers guide to Ffb on controller they all say max everything, so you feel this and that... So I did just that and have for years used high ffb and served me well.  

But stumbled upon a comment on another site saying if you use high ffb setup be careful cause as it causes something to happen and you’ll start randomly losing ffb.  Which has constantly been happening to me... YouTuber experts never mentioned that..

So not sure off what settings to use I remembered  @BarryBLstarted this thread and as much as I don’t want to admit to ‘the man’ his ffb settings feel good and at work really well on ps5 Pad... with no random ffb fade.. (thus far) 

thanks for making me see the light,

• Like 2

• Administrator
19 minutes ago, ScaredDuck said:

I retract my previous statement.. whenever I watched a YouTubers guide to Ffb on controller they all say max everything, so you feel this and that... So I did just that and have for years used high ffb and served me well.  

But stumbled upon a comment on another site saying if you use high ffb setup be careful cause as it causes something to happen and you’ll start randomly losing ffb.  Which has constantly been happening to me... YouTuber experts never mentioned that..

So not sure off what settings to use I remembered  @BarryBLstarted this thread and as much as I don’t want to admit to ‘the man’ his ffb settings feel good and at work really well on ps5 Pad... with no random ffb fade.. (thus far) 

thanks for making me see the light,

My pleasure @ScaredDuck. May not be the META, or even for everyone, but these settings avoid 'clipping' issues when FFB is too high, and gives a more enjoyable experience. Also saves your hands from being rattled to death, and possibly your controller long-term too.

Part 2 is coming soon, with a hybrid Camera Angle of Cockpit and T-Cam. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, BarryBL said:

My pleasure @ScaredDuck. May not be the META, or even for everyone, but these settings avoid 'clipping' issues when FFB is too high, and gives a more enjoyable experience. Also saves your hands from being rattled to death, and possibly your controller long-term too.

Part 2 is coming soon, with a hybrid Camera Angle of Cockpit and T-Cam. 

Settings are personal preference. But you are THE authority on the game.  So now unsure how much ffb to set.  would be stupid  not using your advice as a base

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/17/2021 at 11:14 AM, BarryBL said:

May not be the META,

You know I’m a old man? 

Just heard my 11 year old daughter say it... so finally know what it means...

She becoming quite the gamer... Just let her loose on my ps5 and watched her dominate all in fortnite.   Which I’ve Never played... but daddy is so proud

Edited by ScaredDuck