Jump to content Jump to content

AI Driver stats / AI level

Hey guys,so i have to refuse some of my previous comments about the AI level and the stable AI level which exists...but now i am struggeling as well end of season 2 as i cannot compete anymore with my AI level from prev season.

I started as well now with Abs and tc off so i thought ok maybe i am not good enough yet but no.

E.g. abu Dhabi i had a tough time catching up with the AI- out in q2 on 14th with AI at 90. 1.3 sec behind my teammate.

To Check if i am really that bad i went to GP Mode and ran just a Quick Blitz qualy with AI 90 and was 0,1 sec quicker than my mate finished 6th.

So then back to career mode and the race i did then at 85 and laptimes were equal and competetive...

Bottom line,how big is the impact from driver stats to the AI level you race against???

What are your experiences?

But even with "overpowered" AI i was able to catch up at difficulty 90 the first year or in GP Mode,season 2 after drivers developed i needed to lower as written above. 

So was there a patch which screwed it up or a general issue when AI drivers develope their stats during carreer?

42 minutes ago, svensenk86 said:

But even with "overpowered" AI i was able to catch up at difficulty 90 the first year or in GP Mode,season 2 after drivers developed i needed to lower as written above. 

So was there a patch which screwed it up or a general issue when AI drivers develope their stats during carreer?

How much did the car improve since season 1 race 1 ? AI tend to get more out of upgrades than the player making it more difficult on the same level e.g. 90 feels more like 92-95 sometimes.. Also when the stat bonuses increase your team mate from e.g. 85 at the start to 95 its worth another few tenths, idk how much but id say 10 statspoints = ~0.3s

1 hour ago, Meza994 said:

How much did the car improve since season 1 race 1 ? AI tend to get more out of upgrades than the player making it more difficult on the same level e.g. 90 feels more like 92-95 sometimes.. Also when the stat bonuses increase your team mate from e.g. 85 at the start to 95 its worth another few tenths, idk how much but id say 10 statspoints = ~0.3s

Cannot remember seb vettels start stats but now he is at 99 😱 car is still 3rd in the grid,equal to Mercedes and Red Bull

Have r&d points and money on LOW on AI and myself, results in no further car Upgrades as i cannot Upgrade to level 3 the facilities during the season,at least something.

So driver xp makes a huge difference on AI difficulty.

2 minutes ago, svensenk86 said:

Cannot remember seb vettels start stats but now he is at 99 😱 car is still 3rd in the grid,equal to Mercedes and Red Bull

Have r&d points and money on LOW on AI and myself, results in no further car Upgrades as i cannot Upgrade to level 3 the facilities during the season,at least something.

So driver xp makes a huge difference on AI difficulty.

Huge is relative but it definitely has an impact and if i understood you right you got all the level 2 upgrades on the car? That also makes a big difference so it might! be by design but with this years AI it might aswell not be haha

Hi there,

I agree with the OP. For season 1 I was using the https://www.f1laps.com/ai-difficulty-calculator/ to help me find the difficulty. Now on season 2 I can't use it anymore.

I've tried some ways to get it right but it's hard. For instance: I can set AI difficulty to 85 and drive GP Mode in a Red Bull and have the same pace as the top 4 (Max and 2 Mercs). Maybe I'm a bit slower but if I focus and push I can be there or thereabouts. If I go to my Career Mode, same Track and Same AI difficulty, Max will be 0.5s faster than me. Quali is harder than the race, but both seem unbalanced to me. This really ruins the entire experience. I'm giving up playing the game because it's not fun anymore. It's not real to be out in Q1 in a red bull, when in GP Mode I can be at the top 3. Btw, I have the 2nd best car of the grid.

Cheers guys

Edited by joserdcosta
14 minutes ago, joserdcosta said:

Hi there,

I agree with the OP. For season 1 I was using the https://www.f1laps.com/ai-difficulty-calculator/ to help me find the difficulty. Now on season 2 I can't use it anymore.

I've tried some ways to get it right but it's hard. For instance: I can set AI difficulty to 85 and drive GP Mode in a Red Bull and have the same pace as the top 4 (Max and 2 Mercs). Maybe I'm a bit slower but if I focus and push I can be there or thereabouts. If I go to my Career Mode, same Track and Same AI difficulty, Max will be 0.5s faster than me. Quali is harder than the race, but both seem unbalanced to me. This really ruins the entire experience. I'm giving up playing the game because it's not fun anymore. It's not real to be out in Q1 in a red bull, when in GP Mode I can be at the top 3. Btw, I have the 2nd best car of the grid.

Cheers guys

I have the same issues. Gp mode I can match team mate but then career mode same difficulty my team mate is a lot faster.

However for me keeping up in the race is harder than the qualifying 

Sorry might be getting wrong end off stick... but ai drivers stats .. combined with ai team upgrade through season.. I play myteam exclusively.  And I always keep track off ai upgrades.    For each department.  When I upgrade I do it so handling and aero are my focus.. unlike ai that has engine upgrade biased. But if we upgrade power without making sure we’ve got a balanced chassis to use that power is hard going... weight reduction and drag upgrades have my season 2 car flying past ai in  the straights..   

weight redistribution I leave... until I’ve made good progress upgrading reduction.  Downforce is secondary... and I can upgrade front and rear at the same time.  

Also durability facilities are cheapest and r@d upgrades don’t have effect you teams ranking so where I can I upgrade those parts that when worn have biggest effect on performance... the higher your team is in the performance rankings.  More is expected off you... for instance if your team is ranked 1... you’d expected to get pole as is your ai teammate which rarely happens and has adverse effect on his focus

On 9/12/2021 at 12:33 AM, svensenk86 said:

Hey guys,so i have to refuse some of my previous comments about the AI level and the stable AI level which exists...but now i am struggeling as well end of season 2 as i cannot compete anymore with my AI level from prev season.

I started as well now with Abs and tc off so i thought ok maybe i am not good enough yet but no.

E.g. abu Dhabi i had a tough time catching up with the AI- out in q2 on 14th with AI at 90. 1.3 sec behind my teammate.

To Check if i am really that bad i went to GP Mode and ran just a Quick Blitz qualy with AI 90 and was 0,1 sec quicker than my mate finished 6th.

So then back to career mode and the race i did then at 85 and laptimes were equal and competetive...

Bottom line,how big is the impact from driver stats to the AI level you race against???

What are your experiences?

I've made this expierence already in F1 2020 and it seems to be a problem in F1 2021 too. There seem to be an issue, that the AI scales with increased car perfomance from season to season. In F1 2020 I made a jump from an underdog team (my team Mode) to the 4th best team on the grid in the beginning of season 2 and choosed albon instead of my F2 Driver from Season 1. 

I still fought about getting into Q1 (with 4th best car), while my teammate made it into q3 easily. In this is not a problem of my drivining skill. In race it is a way better. Maybe you have noticed this too? In Race you can possibly keep up with your opponents but in qualifying you have to set AI down.

There was another thread here, where we discussed this topic already. Someone, I don't remember who, gave me the tip, to change the AI level in Qualifying 2 points down from your level of the prevoius season. This seem to work for him to keep the balance more or less in qualifying, where the problem mostly occurs. 

• Agree 1
28 minutes ago, DonBlanko said:

I've made this expierence already in F1 2020 and it seems to be a problem in F1 2021 too. There seem to be an issue, that the AI scales with increased car perfomance from season to season. In F1 2020 I made a jump from an underdog team (my team Mode) to the 4th best team on the grid in the beginning of season 2 and choosed albon instead of my F2 Driver from Season 1. 

I still fought about getting into Q1 (with 4th best car), while my teammate made it into q3 easily. In this is not a problem of my drivining skill. In race it is a way better. Maybe you have noticed this too? In Race you can possibly keep up with your opponents but in qualifying you have to set AI down.

There was another thread here, where we discussed this topic already. Someone, I don't remember who, gave me the tip, to change the AI level in Qualifying 2 points down from your level of the prevoius season. This seem to work for him to keep the balance more or less in qualifying, where the problem mostly occurs. 

And then you change back in the race? Lets say basic is 90,you decrease to 88 in qualy and back to 90 in race? Are they slower in the race?  

1 hour ago, svensenk86 said:

And then you change back in the race? Lets say basic is 90,you decrease to 88 in qualy and back to 90 in race? Are they slower in the race?  

yep, exactly that is what was said to me to balance the overpowered AI in qualifying. I am not that far in F1 2021 career to tell you if this works, but maybe you can response, when you've made your own expierences with that tip. 

My expierence in F1 2020 was, that the AI is more balanced in Race and got more and more overpowered in Qualifying when developing the car. My thought, that this problem is back in F1 2021, is based on a video I saw from DaveGaming (F1 Youtuber) who raced in hungary in a progressed season (3 I guess) and barely made it into Q2, but was way faster in the race. He had the 3rd best car. In my opinion he is a very good racer, whith AI level way about 100. So his driving skill are not the reason for that problem. That this problem did not only happened in hungary, is based on the commentary of a viewer under the hungary video, who asked why his positions are often that bad in qualifying while in race is way better and more succesful. 

Edited by DonBlanko
  • Thanks 1

Will start season 3 tonight,was waiting for the Patch 😁 will try this and checkout how it goes - as i said i was thinking about my driving skills either but GP Mode with regular difficulty i use was still fine and showed me that driving skills are just fine 😁

Is there anyone out there using AI 120 in season 3 and wins championships??

• Agree 1
22 hours ago, DonBlanko said:

yep, exactly that is what was said to me to balance the overpowered AI in qualifying. I am not that far in F1 2021 career to tell you if this works, but maybe you can response, when you've made your own expierences with that tip. 

My expierence in F1 2020 was, that the AI is more balanced in Race and got more and more overpowered in Qualifying when developing the car. My thought, that this problem is back in F1 2021, is based on a video I saw from DaveGaming (F1 Youtuber) who raced in hungary in a progressed season (3 I guess) and barely made it into Q2, but was way faster in the race. He had the 3rd best car. In my opinion he is a very good racer, whith AI level way about 100. So his driving skill are not the reason for that problem. That this problem did not only happened in hungary, is based on the commentary of a viewer under the hungary video, who asked why his positions are often that bad in qualifying while in race is way better and more succesful. 

So mate,just a Quick heads up. Bahrain was fine again with 90 as i used to use.

Career season 3:

Vettel P12 i am P14 0.2 sec difference

GP mode:

Vettel P14 i am P13 0.1 sec difference

My car Performance in the r&d chart went from top 3 in season 1 & 2 to midfield now 😱

16 minutes ago, svensenk86 said:

So mate,just a Quick heads up. Bahrain was fine again with 90 as i used to use.

Career season 3:

Vettel P12 i am P14 0.2 sec difference

GP mode:

Vettel P14 i am P13 0.1 sec difference

My car Performance in the r&d chart went from top 3 in season 1 & 2 to midfield now 😱

So you didn't changed the AI level for Qualifying or did you? 

Did you lost that much performance because of rule changes or why did your team drop down?.

I totally agree.

I playing career mode season 3 now. i can’t catch my team mate Max Verstappen. Others are too slow to lower difficulty. 
In GP mode with same difficulty, I won the grand prix from p20 and Fastest lap with 0.7sec to my team mate. 

I think team mate getting stronger with developing R&D performance. 

15 minutes ago, Junghoonc said:

I totally agree.

I playing career mode season 3 now. i can’t catch my team mate Max Verstappen. Others are too slow to lower difficulty. 
In GP mode with same difficulty, I won the grand prix from p20 and Fastest lap with 0.7sec to my team mate. 

I think team mate getting stronger with developing R&D performance. 

Uhh if the increasing AI perfomance with developed car only relates to the teammate, than the problem is even worse. 

But it is the first time I read, that this problem only fits to the team mate. For my understanding the AI performance overall increases with every season / car devolopment. 

Can you show us more about your actual performance chart? Is your team with max verstappen as a teammate way ahead of the other teams in case of performance? 

22 minutes ago, DonBlanko said:

So you didn't changed the AI level for Qualifying or did you? 

Did you lost that much performance because of rule changes or why did your team drop down?.

No change on difficulty no,90 since season 1 at Bahrain

I let R&D done by the computer as i am just a driver at aston martin 😉 no rule changes were season 2. No clue why i dropped down that much,maybe the actual car Performance applied because i started season 3 after Patch 1.10

4 minutes ago, DonBlanko said:

Uhh if the increasing AI perfomance with developed car only relates to the teammate, than the problem is even worse. 

But it is the first time I read, that this problem only fits to the team mate. For my understanding the AI performance overall increases with every season / car devolopment. 

Can you show us more about your actual performance chart? Is your team with max verstappen as a teammate way ahead of the other teams in case of performance? 

I confirm for every one,not just teammate. Could not catch up with tsunoda and other "midfield" drivers during end of season 2.

• Agree 1
4 minutes ago, svensenk86 said:

No change on difficulty no,90 since season 1 at Bahrain

I let R&D done by the computer as i am just a driver at aston martin 😉 no rule changes were season 2. No clue why i dropped down that much,maybe the actual car Performance applied because i started season 3 after Patch 1.10

exactly this is the reason for your performance problem, because the performance changes are implemented in the career saves. But good to know, that you were able to keep up with the same AI level like in season 1 in bahrain. But it was only one race. It could be track related, because AI seems to be a bit weaker in Bahrain. Next to it Bahrain is one of the most driven circuits, even because it is the first race and everyone starts a career but not everyone reach Abu dhabi at the end before starting another career. 😛  Keep us informed for the next races. Espcially spain is interesting to know. 

• Agree 1